This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you'd like test a product on Mumsnet please mail insight@mumsnet.com.

British Gas smart meter reviewer feedback thread - Month 2. Non testers: Share your pet peeves on wasting energy in your household for a chance to win £100 JL voucher. NOW CLOSED

(106 Posts)
KatieBMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 25-Oct-13 11:23:55

This thread is for the 3 Mumsnetters and 2 Mumsnet Bloggers who are testing the British Gas smart meters in their home.

Non testers: What annoying energy wasting habits does your family have that really wind you up? Maybe the children leave their games consoles running all night? Or perhaps your partner always takes never ending hot showers? Whatever your pet peeves around energy waste in your household are we'd like to hear from you.

Everyone who adds a comment to this thread by 22nd November will be in with a chance of winning £100 worth of John Lewis vouchers.

Testers
Month 2: Day and Night

This month we're focusing on the energy you use at certain times of day. As you've had smart meters for a couple of months now you should be able to see the history of your consumption over this time using one of two ways:

1 If you’ve received a Smart Energy Report this will show your pattern of consumption.
2 By looking at your historical use data on the smart energy monitor.

Below are a few questions for you to answer but please also add any other comments you may have to the thread.

• When do you and your family consume the most energy?
• Challenge each family member to change the time they use at least one appliance (gas or electricity) - please tell us which family member chose what, and how they’re going to change the times at which this is used
• How did you and your family find making these changes? Was it easy to adapt to or not?
• Do you use your smart energy monitor more now than when you first had smart meters installed, or less?

Thanks and good luck,

MNHQ

PS You can see how the testers got on with the first challenge here.

milliemoon Mon 18-Nov-13 19:38:39

The worst is when my husband puts the water on to warm up and then forgets it's on. oh and he tumble dries (and shrinks, buts that's another annoyance) everything!

jennywren123 Wed 20-Nov-13 11:26:33

Non-tester.

Why, oh why do the children have to leave the lights on in every room in the house!

daisydaisy11 Wed 20-Nov-13 17:00:52

Non tester. My pet hate is when the dishwasher is turned on half empty because OHs favourite mug is in there. If it is that important to OH then he should take it out and handwash it!

jellyandcake Wed 20-Nov-13 17:05:22

My dh leaves everything on standby, never shuts the laptop down, leaves chargers plugged in with nothing connected..he is so unaware of all of these things even though he is so budget conscious with everything else! Drives me bonkers!

Autismmumma Thu 21-Nov-13 11:46:09

I'm a tester and here's my second post : Day and Night with our Smart Meter http://t.co/wD2nj5aXim
Biggest peeve would be the lights, appliances on standby and my hubbie and the toaster!!

KatieBMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 22-Nov-13 16:33:14

Thanks for all your comments. The winner of the prize draw is...

Thinkingofmyfabfour

Congratulations, I'll PM you for your details.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now