Please note: This topic is for your comments and feedback on Product Tests being run by Mumsnet. It is not the place to post (or ask for) comments on other products. If you do this, your comments may be deleted. If you'd like to run your own product test, please email insight@mumsnet.com. If you are an entrepreneur or start-up and would like to ask for some feedback, please visit our media requests topic.

Hellmann’s feedback thread – non testers: talk leftovers and sandwiches for a chance to win a £50 hamper NOW CLOSED

(142 Posts)
MichelleMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 21-Oct-13 15:14:02

This thread is for the 30 Mumsnetters who took part in the Hellmann's 'Sandwich of the Century' challenge as part of their
LoveFood Hate Waste campaign.

Non-testers: Hellmann's would love to know if you use leftovers in your sandwiches. Do you regularly use your leftovers in a sandwich for lunch the next day? If you don't, do you think it’s something you'd try? Every non tester who adds their thoughts will be entered into a prize draw to win a Hellmann's hamper worth £50.

Here's what Hellmann’s have to say, "For 100 years, Hellmann's Mayonnaise has been at the heart of the greatest Sandwiches but did you know that every day we throw away 200,000 loaves of bread and are even careless with our fillings for example, nearly three million tomatoes, and one million slices of ham are disposed of and not eaten?! At Hellmann's, we love food and we believe eating should be a moment of joy. That's why we hate food waste and are now encouraging you to use your lovely leftovers!"

Testers were sent some Hellmann's mayonnaise along with a welcome pack.

Testers: We've got a set of questions we'd like you to answer about making sandwiches and how you found the Hellmann's challenge. Please also feel free to add any other thoughts you may have.

1. How often do you make sandwiches for yourself and/or your family?
2. How many different types of sandwich filling do you have in one week?
3. Do you make sandwiches the night before or are you an early riser?
4. What are your hints and tips to keep your bread fresh?
5. What ideas did you/ your family come up with for using leftovers in sandwiches? What worked well/ what didn’t work out so well?
6. Do you have a favourite sandwich you already made regularly with your leftovers?
7. After taking part in the challenge do you think you will be more inventive in your sandwich fillings featuring Hellmann's Mayonnaise?

If you have made a particularly impressive sandwich, feel free to post a picture of it on this thread too! All testers who leave their feedback on this thread will be entered into a prize draw to win a £150 M&S voucher.

Thanks and good luck,

MNHQ

GetKnitted Mon 21-Oct-13 21:33:11

If we ate roast dinners, spaghetti with meatballs, burgers and fish fingers, I would probably use left overs in sandwiches... but lentil dahl, ratatouille or peanut soup sandwiches sound really odd to me smile HTH!

QueFonda Mon 21-Oct-13 21:34:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MaryZombie Mon 21-Oct-13 21:41:39

Non-tester.

Has anyone yet mentioned that Hellmann's is one of the lowest carb mayonnaises? And therefore suitable for low-carb dieters?

So my best non-bread sandwich:

Make up a mixture of chopped cucumber, lettuce, roast chicken, spinach, peppers and whatever else, bound together with a spoonful of Hellmann's.

Take leaves of Little Gem lettuce, put a spoonful of the meat/salad/mayonnaise mixture in the middle of each leaf. Roll up and eat.

Yum.

Tanfastic Mon 21-Oct-13 21:51:05

Non tester

Leftover meat is fab for sandwiches.

I made hunters chicken this evening and there was some left over so I've cut it up for sandwiches tomorrow. Chicken, bacon, cheese and BBQ sauce, a bit of salad, mayo....Bob's your uncle wink

Tester but also have nothing received as of yet.

Maverick66 Mon 21-Oct-13 21:57:24

Non tester but can I say my family do not like the new style stay clean cap on your bottles grrr sad thy are super difficult to get the mayo out imfo

CheeryCherry Mon 21-Oct-13 22:19:30

As a large family who enjoy our food, we don't often have a lot of leftovers...plus I try very hard to cook the right amount in the first place.
However if I've grated too much cheese I will pop it in a tub and use it in a sandwich later. We also sometimes use leftover mixed salads in sandwiches, even with the dressing on.

SetFiretotheRain Mon 21-Oct-13 23:44:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mawbroon Tue 22-Oct-13 00:02:22

Non tester.

Yes, I regularly use leftovers in sandwiches.

A particular favourite is coronation chicken. DH is half dutch so will more or less put anything on a sandwichsmile

MollyMango Tue 22-Oct-13 04:44:34

Non tester

Best way to prevent bread mush from soggy sandwich insides is to make a protective layer of lettuce above the bread before you put anything 'wet'. Also if you are using something like tomatoes make sure you take out the pips/wet bits and for cucumber cut out the middle part

lagoonhaze Tue 22-Oct-13 07:10:10

non tester. I usually use left over chicken in a stir fry and if any spare then a sandwich. However Im never sure how long I can leave cooked chicken and often throw stuff away :-(

Maverick66 Tue 22-Oct-13 11:26:51

Non tester
My 14 year old son loves chicken and mayo sandwiches however he Hates Hates Hates the new style bottle cap so much so that I am looking at other brands sad

aristocat Tue 22-Oct-13 13:26:09

Tester, but no delivery yet. Waiting patiently for the postie grin

ArabellaPilkington Tue 22-Oct-13 13:45:24

Just had leftover roast beef, leftover salad and Hellmans light in a sandwich for lunch. Yum.

MichelleMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 22-Oct-13 14:28:06

Hi all - Hellmann's have sent out the product today so it should be with you later on in the week!

Sunny2013 Tue 22-Oct-13 19:48:57

Hellmanns to my family is the ONLY mayonaisse that we EVER use in sandwich making , cooking , chocolate mayonaisse cake making (dont knock it till you have tried it ) sauce making etc ... there is no other ... BUT the worst thing that you have done is in creating that AWFUL new plastic bottle packaging ... it is IMPOSSIBLE to use properly , and needs to be discontinued , so much of the contents of the larger bottle get wasted and I find it impossible to return the packaging to the original shape , despite continual feedback to customer services and the promise of vouchers that never arrive , I remain LOYAL .... as i have a houseful of young children I refuse to use the glass jars as there are some clumsy slippery fingers in my home .... Am I alone on this thought Mumsnetters or does anyone else agree with me ???

IncaAztec Tue 22-Oct-13 20:22:11

We do use leftovers in sandwiches, mainly meat. However, it depends on if there is any left over at the end of the main meal. I would like to get things to stretch further due to being on a budget and try to batch cook meals to facilitate this.

Spirael Tue 22-Oct-13 20:51:37

Non tester. We regularly use leftovers to make sandwiches, usually meat. But not with mayo, because it's rarely in the house as I don't like it. Sorry!

Bubbles85 Tue 22-Oct-13 22:14:33

Non tester here. Yes I always use up left over chicken in sandwiches and hard boil eggs that are about to go out of date to have in sandwiches.

hjmiller Wed 23-Oct-13 05:51:45

Non-tester

We often use leftovers but not so much in sandwiches - its often pasta so we just stick it ib the fridge for the next day. If it can go in a sandwich tho it will!

sealight123 Wed 23-Oct-13 11:13:43

Everyday!!! We are big on sandwiches in this household

2. How many different types of sandwich filling do you have in one week? It varies week to week. Some weeks we'll have all fillings under the sun, others we'll just have a few firm favourites. We always have ATLEAST 3 different fillings, but we do have a lot of variations for them.

It depends on what work shift I am on. If I am on early shift I will do them the night before (but you are at risk for soggy bread with this one). If I am on late shift, I will make them in the morning smile

Do not, under any circumstances, put your bread in the fridge...it starts getting mouldy so so quickly. Just stick to room temperature and keep the crusts till last to act as a lid for the rest of the loaf for moisture smile

5. What ideas did you/ your family come up with for using leftovers in sandwiches? What worked well/ what didn’t work out so well?
I enjoyed chilli mince sandwiches and bolognase sandwiches but only as hot, as cold sandwiches it was rather odd.
Crisp and apple sandwiches are an old favourite of mine
Peanut butter and coleslaw is my stepdads favourite- I tried it...it was awful
Leftover Honeyglazed sanwiches
Leftover chicken mixed with hellmans mayo and chilli
Leftover chicken mixed with hellmans mayo and garlic
Leftover chicken mixed with hellmans mayo and a squeeze of lemon (see a pattern here?)
Egg mayonnaise and watercress (for my partner...I LOOOAAATTTHE eggs lol)
There are so many more we have tried and still some more we are yet to try, so I will update you when we have...whether you like it or not :P

6. Do you have a favourite sandwich you already made regularly with your leftovers?
Leftover chicken mixed with hellmans mayo and a squeeze of lemon. Chicken just goes so well with mayo for sandwiches and when cooking a full chicken you have loads left over!!!

7. After taking part in the challenge do you think you will be more inventive in your sandwich fillings featuring Hellmann's Mayonnaise?
I've not finished taking part yet...I've still got a lot of fight in me but I'm thinking I might do less chicken based leftover sandwiches and maybe try something a bit more adventurous

wheredoistartmrs Wed 23-Oct-13 11:15:10

tester, still waiting for product

cocoplops Wed 23-Oct-13 11:44:37

1-2 a week

2. How many different types of sandwich filling do you have in one week?

Not many, cheese/marmite, ham (with mayo and mustard), ham/cheese (with mayo), leftover chicken or bacon, sausages, egg mayo.

I make them on the day. Not an early riser but I don't think sandwiches are that nice done the day before.

Keep it in the freezer and only get out what you need for the day or couple of days.

I regularly do chicken leftover sandwiches, or bacon. If I have some bacon or chicken then I either just have salad or my fav is avocado, pesto and mayo (ideally on a bagel or crusty roll)

See above

Sandwiches are generally done in a hurry so I don't know that I'll have time to be more inventive. But there are some good ideas on the thread!

BTW....not sandwiches but one of my favourite chicken leftover recipe involves mayo too - very old 70s recipe of my MIL but is delish. Leftover Chicken, cooked/leftover brocolli, mix in half tub of 1/2 fat creme fraiche, tbsp curry powder, 2-3 tbsp mayo and tsp of mustard. Top with a mix of grated gruyere and breadcrumbs. Bake 180C 30min. Sounds a bit odd I guess but is lovely!

cocoplops Wed 23-Oct-13 11:45:20

And I'm a non-tester!

cocoplops Wed 23-Oct-13 11:50:09

Oh and when I have a white or red cabbage then I tend to make some very 'rustic' coleslaw with some mayo and then have that in a pita or wrap with some cheese or ham.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now