Please note: This topic is for your comments and feedback on Product Tests being run by Mumsnet. It is not the place to post (or ask for) comments on other products. If you do this, your comments may be deleted. If you'd like to run your own product test, please email insight@mumsnet.com. If you are an entrepreneur or start-up and would like to ask for some feedback, please visit our media requests topic.

Warburtons' virtual roundtable feedback thread. Non testers: Share your thoughts on children's packed lunches and white bread for a chance to win a £150 JL voucher NOW CLOSED

(94 Posts)
KatieBMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 23-Sep-13 17:15:04

This thread is for the 9 Mumsnetters taking part in the Warburtons virtual roundtable.

Here's what Warburtons say: "We've recently undertaken a piece of university research which looks at the role of packed lunches in children's diets. It's a hot-topic at the moment and we'd really like Mumsnetters with a child of primary school age to let us know your comments and thoughts around this research."

Non testers: Tell us what you think of children's packed lunches, do you find it difficult to know what to put in your DC's lunchbox? Or are your DCs happy to eat what they're given? What about white bread? Do your DC's eat white bread? If not, why is this?
Whatever your thoughts on packed lunches and white bread please let us know. Everyone who adds a comment to this thread will be entered into a prize draw where one winner will receive a £150 John Lewis voucher.

Testers: Below are a few feedback questions for you to answer - if you have any more comments, please feel free to add them to your response.

1. Before reading the research what was your perception of white bread?
2. Having looked at this research and key findings from Leeds university (based on a study of 2,500 children), have your perceptions changed at all? If so how? If not, why not?
3. Which, if any, of the key research findings really resonate with you and why?
4. Do you think white bread gets a bad reputation or not? Why do you think this is?
5. The research shows "children's bread consumption increases intakes of some nutrients which have been proven to be beneficial for long term health, including carbohydrate, starch, fibre, calcium, iron and selenium" how aware, if at all, of this were you before reading the research?
6. Do you give your DCs packed lunches for school? If so, how often, if at all does the packed lunch include a sandwich and which type of bread do they usually have? Do you think you're likely to change this after reading the research or not? If so why? If not why not?
7. To what extent do you agree or disagree with the following: "Parents have a tough job when it comes to children's health and nutrition"? Please explain.

Every selected MNer who adds a comment to this thread will receive a £50 John Lewis voucher as a thank you.

Thanks,

MNHQ

non tester- usually find it easy to think of different things to put in lunches to keep things from being dull. dc like white bread and brown bread so i can switch between the two and include things like wraps and pittas. all 3 have very different tastes so i usually end up making different things which can be a pain! recently we have been having problems getting 11yo to eat packed lunches which she has requested she comes home with a different reason every week usually didnt like margerine/meat/bread and has an awful habit of ripping up the sandwich to make it look like she has eaten them so i would welcome some new ideas for her packed lunch as currently she has stopped having them because of the amount of waste.

mummyofcutetwo Sun 29-Sep-13 23:33:01

I'm a non-tester

DS1 has school dinners most days but on the occasions he has packed lunch for school or a picnic lunch on family days I don't find it particularly difficult to give him things he'll like and eat happily. He likes white, brown and 50/50 bread, but doesn't like seeded. I tend to buy what's on special offer, but sometimes I head straight for the white (if I know we're having bacon or fish finger sandwiches as I think they both taste wrong on brown!) or for the brown (if I'm planning on having tuna or cheese sandwiches).
The things I tend to worry about are more to do with the other bits of the packed lunch - crisps, biscuits etc. I tend not to put crisps/biscuits/chocolate in and instead put raisins, fresh fruit, cucumber and carrot sticks and yogurt in with the sandwich but other mums have told me I'm a meanie! He's always come back with an empty lunchbox, or has just kept one thing back to eat on the way home.

Non-tester:

Our two boys have school dinners but I know that they would much prefer to have a pack-up. I tend to run out of ideas with packed lunches to keep them varied and healthy but tasty and exciting. Recently as a family we decided to switch from white bread to wholemeal as it is healthier but its not going down too well with the kids at the moment!

nicholab85 Mon 30-Sep-13 13:21:51

Non tester..

I'm incredibly lucky with my LG and she will eat anything i give her! My only problem is silly school rules of they cant have this and that! I tend to pack her a regular sandwich every day with a filling of her choice and then add various other things...fruit, biscuits, cake bars, yoghurts, veg sticks and houmous, pasta salad etc (obviously not all at the same time!)...and she eats what she can until she's full.

My LG likes both white and brown bread but given the choice she chooses white, I have no problem with this at all.

MrsPnut Mon 30-Sep-13 13:28:46

non tester

My youngest child is incredibly fussy despite having been raised in exactly the same way as her non fussy sister.
She will eat brown rolls only, otherwise it needs to be white bread or a white wrap. She will also only eat ham, cheese or cheese spread sandwiches or crackers and cheese for lunch.
I also provide a yoghurt, chocolate biscuit or piece of cake, cheese if she hasn't got a cheese sandwich, fruit strings and a little treat.

AngelieMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 01-Oct-13 14:29:28

Thanks for all your comments. The winner of the prize draw is MakeTeaNotWar smile Congratulations, I'll PM you for your details.

Thank you so much! And today is DS's 1st birthday too so a great day all round! grin

CarmonEileen Sun 13-Oct-13 21:56:15

Have any of the other panelists heard fron Warburtons yet?

ouryve Mon 14-Oct-13 10:35:14

I had an email from Angelie asking me to confirm my details for the voucher, but I've not received anything yet. I want to go shopping!!!

CarmonEileen Mon 14-Oct-13 10:53:47

Ah same as you then Our, might email Angelie and see grin

Mamafratelli Sun 27-Oct-13 20:34:50

Has anyone received their voucher yet?

ouryve Mon 28-Oct-13 12:33:37

No, mama. I emailed Katie, last week and she said they should arrive at the end of this week.

Mamafratelli Tue 29-Oct-13 22:48:35

Thanks ouryve

BusyCee Tue 29-Oct-13 22:59:01

We have a bread machine so almost never buy processed bread (I don't like the texture and it takes approximately 5mins to put ingredients in the machine before bed, ensuring delicious fresh baked bread in the morning).

DS is a human dustbin and will eat anything. I try not to give him sandwiches every single day, partly to stop it being boring and partly because otherwise, before I know it, he's on a 90% bread diet, once you've taken into account breakfast and the inevitable X on toast tea (at least twice a week on our house). So salmon and pea baked eggs; couscous salad; quiche; pasties etc. I batch cook and then freeze, so just take out of the freezer the night before.

He LOVES a cheese and pickle sandwich. Hands down his fave by far. But won't turn his nose up at any sarnie. Good lad.

BusyCee Tue 29-Oct-13 23:07:59

Oh bum. I'm very, very late to the party...

Ah well. At least you can all now revel in the fascinating details of DS1s lunching habits. Enjoy...

CarmonEileen Fri 01-Nov-13 15:02:27

Nothing here yet Ouryve, anything with you yet?

ShatnersBassoon Fri 01-Nov-13 15:05:34

I emailed this morning. The vouchers have been delayed, but MNHQ are on it. Should be soon.

KatieBMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 01-Nov-13 15:47:09

Hi all - so sorry for the delay with the vouchers. They are on their way <promise> and will be with you asap thanks

CarmonEileen Sat 02-Nov-13 16:22:27

Ladies I have received my vouchers this morning smile .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now