This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you'd like test a product on Mumsnet please mail insight@mumsnet.com.

Whole Earth peanut butter reviewer feedback thread. Non-testers: Tell us if you prefer Crunchy or Smooth? £50 Whole Earth hamper to be won NOW CLOSED

(431 Posts)
MichelleMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 09-Sep-13 17:20:14

This thread is for the 100 Mumsnetters who tried Whole Earth Crunchy Original peanut butter.

However, if you're not a tester, share whether you/your DC prefer your peanut butter Crunchy or Smooth and you'll be entered into a prize draw to win a £50 Whole Earth hamper!

Here's what Whole Earth has to say, "Mums buy Whole Earth peanut butter because they know it's naturally delicious. Made with 97% peanuts, no added sugar and loaded with energy, Mums know that choosing Whole Earth peanut butter is a great way to fuel their families throughout the day. It is also a perfect ingredient for baking crunchy peanut butter cookies – a delicious after school treat."

For those who tested the product, we’ve got a few questions we'd like you to answer, but feel free to add any other comments.

Q1. What did you/your DCs think of the consistency, texture and flavour of Whole Earth peanut butter? Was this similar/different to what you were expecting?

Q2. If you have tried other peanut butter brands before, how do you think Whole Earth Crunchy Original peanut butter compared overall?

Q3. The RRP for 227g of Whole Earth Crunchy Original peanut butter is £1.99 and 454g is £3.19. Would you be happy to pay this? If so, why. If not, why not?

Q4. How did you eat your peanut butter product? On its own? On toast? Did you use it in a recipe? If so, what did you cook?

Q5. If it came up in conversation would you recommend Whole Earth peanut butter to friends or family? If so, why? If not, why not?

If you used Whole Earth peanut butter in any recipes we would love you to post some pictures on this thread. Please note that any photos or comments may be used in marketing material by Whole Earth.

All testers who add their feedback will be entered into a prize draw to win a £150 voucher for a supermarket of your choice.

Thanks and good luck,

MNHQ

HeathcliffeItsMe Sun 15-Sep-13 19:23:33

Q1. What did you/your DCs think of the consistency, texture and flavour of Whole Earth peanut butter? Was this similar/different to what you were expecting?
I really liked the consistency and texture of it, ticker than our usual brand. Taste was lovely, more nutty and less sweet than the usual brand we get (Morrisons value). Ds1 preferred our usual sweeter brand, ds2 really liked it and would eat it by the spoon if he could.

Q2. If you have tried other peanut butter brands before, how do you think Whole Earth Crunchy Original peanut butter compared overall? It tastes more nutty and less sweet.

Q3. The RRP for 227g of Whole Earth Crunchy Original peanut butter is £1.99 and 454g is £3.19. Would you be happy to pay this? If so, why. If not, why not? price seems reasonable, I would buy at this price, although slightly cheaper would be preferred. One jar lasts us quite well though, if we got through it faster I would probably be less likely to buy at that price.

Q4. How did you eat your peanut butter product? On its own? On toast? Did you use it in a recipe? If so, what did you cook? We ate it on its own blush, on toast and also in a red thai curry. I hadn't had peanut butter in a curry before, it was really nice, very popular with everyone and we would definately have it again.

Q5. If it came up in conversation would you recommend Whole Earth peanut butter to friends or family? If so, why? If not, why not? Yes, I would mention it was nice, as we enjoyed it and seemed less sugary than others we had tried.

Thank you for the peanut butter!

antsypants Sun 15-Sep-13 21:02:02

I was really surprised that it was not overly sweet or brightly coloured, it look very natural, DD (4) liked the packaging and the ease with which she could open it

Q2. If you have tried other peanut butter brands before, how do you think Whole Earth Crunchy Original peanut butter compared overall?

I have had sunpat before but did not like it, whole earth was much nicer

Q3. The RRP for 227g of Whole Earth Crunchy Original peanut butter is £1.99 and 454g is £3.19. Would you be happy to pay this? If so, why. If not, why not?

I would be happy with this price, because the product is very rich and heavy you would use sparingly.

Q4. How did you eat your peanut butter product? On its own? On toast? Did you use it in a recipe? If so, what did you cook?

We had some on toast, which I enjoyed, but DD was not keen, I also made some peanut butter choc chip and banana muffins which were really nice and light.

I would use this in savoury food because there is no artificial sweet taste. I still have half a jar left and may do a thai style stir fry and use some in that.

Q5. If it came up in conversation would you recommend Whole Earth peanut butter to friends or family? If so, why? If not, why not?

Yes, I would recommend this.

If you used Whole Earth peanut butter in any recipes we would love you to post some pictures on this thread. Please note that any photos or comments may be used in marketing material by Whole Earth.

Cantdothisagain Sun 15-Sep-13 21:52:49

Tester...

It was crunchier than I thought - the little pieces were chunkier. I liked it.

I preferred this - less sweet, more textured.

I would pay it probably but would prefer cheaper obviously!

On its own first, and then I made Lorraine Pascale's chocolate peanut butter squares - really good with this in it. I can't upload the photo from my mobile or I would - they look and taste great and the texture is good.

Yes and in fact it already has, with people who've tasted my Lorraine Pascale squares and loved them too! I would recommend it because it is less sweet and I like the texture.

I hate the marketing jargon about Mums choosing it though - please get rid of that; it sounds like an Asda advert.

Thank you for letting me try this - I will buy it again.

UserError Sun 15-Sep-13 22:15:33

I'm a non-tester.

One of my favourite breakfasts, when I manage to remember to buy bananas, is peanut butter on toast, topped with sliced banana and sprinkled with cinnamon.

The peanut butter has to be crunchy. Anything else is just wrong.

michelleblane Sun 15-Sep-13 22:52:08

Non tester. Prefer crunchy but use both in recipes.

Lightshines Mon 16-Sep-13 00:19:02

I am a tester.

Q1. The consistency, taste and texture were what I would have expected for a high-end, organic brand. The 'crunchy bits' were about the same size as in other brands and the darker brown mix gave the peanut butter a more wholesome/healthy appeal. Whether that is true or not, I am not sure, but it felt as if it was healthier!

Q2. I am not a devotee of any particular brand - I just tend to grab a jar off the shelf and I am not a big label reader. However, cost is an issue, I usually go simply for the cheapest. Recently we have had Sun-Pat, the LIDL brand and ASDA Value (!). Its not a very fashionable view, but in terms of taste, I actually prefer a little bit of sugar and salt. Also, I did find the Whole Earth quite 'claggy'.

Q3. It is more than I would usually expect to pay and so I probably wouldn't. Not because I don't feel as if the price offers good value for money, as it does for a premium product, but because £1.99 is more than I can afford for peanut butter within our usual weekly food budget of £90/£100.

Q4. My breakfast/snack of choice - brown toast, peanut butter, squished banana on top!

Q5. I would definitely tell people that I have tried it and its lovely.

lottietiger Mon 16-Sep-13 11:30:05

Non Tester - Definitely crunchy for me!

maxmissie Mon 16-Sep-13 13:20:18

Tester...

Q1. Both kids (and me and dh) like the peanut butter as much as the ones we normally buy (Sunpat and own brands crunchy). The consistency as slightly stodgier than some of the other brands but not too its detriment. Although the Whole Earth is not as sweet as the other brands this didn't bother the kids at all.

Q2. I think it compared well to the other brands, not massively dissimilar except for being slightly stodgier and less sweet but not to a great extent.

Q3. We eat a lot of peanut butter (usually two 454g jars over two weeks) so the price would be quite high for us. I would probably buy it occasionally. The price difference between Whole Earth and other brands is quite high; there is only 4% more peanuts in the Whole Earth one so other than economies of scale not sure why the price is so much higher?

Q4. We ate in mostly on toast (our favourite) but also in sandwiches at lunchtime. Didn't have time to do any cooking with it!

Q5. Yes would recommend as being a healthier version of the usual brands.

painterly Mon 16-Sep-13 15:30:59

Not a tester.

I had great trouble weaning my baby who is currently 13 months. Your peanut butter was a breakthrough moment at around 9 months when I offered her some. Actually she stole my toast.

She will always eat if she sees me get out the jar. She will eat it on anything from rice crackers and toast to dipping breadsticks in it or licking it off carrot sticks! She loves crunchy and will pick out the peanut bits.

The other two (4 and 6) both love crunchy in pitta pockets with banana slices, on toast with nutella, in sandwiches with cucumber slices, on crackers with marmite or on egg noodles with coconut milk as a stir fry sauce. Both were eating your peanut butter by 7 months.

Whole Earth is our preferred choice. It is definitely tastes saltier than some of the other brands, but it also has a deeper, more rounded taste and isn't as claggy on the palate as some of the others.

CaramelisedOnion Mon 16-Sep-13 16:36:20

Always crunchy. ALWAYS.

I put it in my hot chocolate and in my porridge with banana.

Peanut butter is the best!

CRUNCHY Peanut Butter.

janx Mon 16-Sep-13 20:27:40

Q1. What did you/your DCs think of the consistency, texture and flavour of Whole Earth peanut butter? Was this similar/different to what you were expecting? The dcs found it too crunchy but both me & do loved it. Dp thought it was less oily than other brands. Nice flavour.

We eat a lot of peanut butter. I think whole earth compared well to others.

Q3. The RRP for 227g of Whole Earth Crunchy Original peanut butter is £1.99 and 454g is £3.19. Would you be happy to pay this? If so, why. If not, why not? Bit expensive - we eat loads so wouldn't buy it all the time

Q4. How did you eat your peanut butter product? On its own? On toast? Did you use it in a recipe? If so, what did you cook? Mainly on toast though I like a spoonful on its own

Yes would recommend

No time to cook with it!

dividey Mon 16-Sep-13 22:10:02

Tester...
Q1, consistency was as expected as we've had this brand before. My kids won't eat any other brand!
Q2, we've tried other cheaper brands but the kids refuse to eat them, too sweet, too greasy and too sticky they say. I agree I would rather eat less of the good stuff than suffer.
Q3, would rather it was cheaper! But happy to pay as we all prefer it. Always stock up when on offer though.
Q4, kids eat it on toast, it's my guilty pleasure so I eat it a lot...with a spoon out of the jar, spread on cut up apple, on a digestive with a slice of cheese, in a sandwich.. For the family I make a speedy satay by mixing half peanut butter, half cream cheese then slacken to a creamy consistency with soy sauce. Spread on top of chicken breast fillets, bake and serve with noodles.
Q5, would definitely recommend.
Have added a photo, not my best work, tastes much better than it looks!

Leeanne2205 Mon 16-Sep-13 22:10:46

Crunchy crunchy crunchy winner every time

Turnipvontrapp Mon 16-Sep-13 23:05:04

I liked the taste of it. I didn't really have any expectations.

Q2. If you have tried other peanut butter brands before, how do you think Whole Earth Crunchy Original peanut butter compared overall? It's as good as other brands I have tasted.

Would buy the 227g but not the bigger one as seems a lot for a treat snack.

I ate mine on toast and by the teaspoon.

Q5. If it came up in conversation would you recommend Whole Earth peanut butter to friends or family? If so, why? If not, why not? Yes I would as I liked the taste.

Non-tester - we much prefer our peanut butter to be crunchy. Goes down really well on some multigrain bread that has been smothered with mashed banana.

HazelDormouse Tue 17-Sep-13 13:30:45

Q1. What did you/your DCs think of the consistency, texture and flavour of Whole Earth peanut butter? Was this similar/different to what you were expecting? The
flavour was what I was expecting. I wasn't surprised by the consistency or texture, however dc was - he was a bit dubious.

Q2. If you have tried other peanut butter brands before, how do you think Whole Earth Crunchy Original peanut butter compared overall? I prefer it, however dc prefers the smoother peanut butter. I think it compares very well to other brands. It is too sweet and seems to be a more natural product than other brands.

Q3. The RRP for 227g of Whole Earth Crunchy Original peanut butter is £1.99 and 454g is £3.19. Would you be happy to pay this? If so, why. If not, why not? I would rather it was somewhat cheaper, however I would pay this amount for this product.

Q4. How did you eat your peanut butter product? On its own? On toast? Did you use it in a recipe? If so, what did you cook? We ate it on own (I did any way), on bread and toast. I did not get around to using it in a recipe. (Sorry) I saw the product in our local Sainsburys in the larger size, so I will probably buy that soon and then I will attempt the peanut butter cookies.

Q5. If it came up in conversation would you recommend Whole Earth peanut butter to friends or family? If so, why? If not, why not? Yes, I would recommend the peanut butter to family and friends. It really is yummy.

Kendodd Tue 17-Sep-13 15:04:13

Similar to expected, not at all salty though.

We did a taste test with Tesco own brand, Tesco won, sorry.

No, see above

For the taste test we had then on their own.

I don't think so.

SaltySeaBird Wed 18-Sep-13 07:48:18

Non tester - I prefer smooth!

gazzalw Wed 18-Sep-13 09:44:30

Non-tester - crunchy particularly for using in Thai cooking!

Smooth for peanut and jello sandwiches - yum!

AllThatGlistens Wed 18-Sep-13 09:48:20

Non tester - I currently have a jar of crunchy in for DH and I and a jar of smooth for the DCs!

Love the stuff grin

DifferentNow Wed 18-Sep-13 10:26:28

The DC didn't like the big bits of peanut and said it tasted salty. I was surprised as they really like peanuts and are good at trying new things. I think that they were disappointed it wasn't tastier.

We don't usually buy peanut butter.

I think this is fairly reasonably priced.

We had it on toast.

I can't really imagine chatting about peanut butter!

iwanttoscream Wed 18-Sep-13 11:43:18

q1 I liked the consistancy, texture and flavour. But my kids prefer smooth peanut butter.
q2 I would buy it for myself.
q3 I would buy it when it's on special offer.
q4 I had mine on toast and in a sandwich. Will try out a recipe at the weekend.
q5 If it came up in conversation i would.
I am a tester

BadlyWrittenPoem Wed 18-Sep-13 11:59:14

I prefer smooth.

rightsaidthread Wed 18-Sep-13 12:46:44

We all liked the consistency, really strong peanut taste.

We much preffered Whole Earth, our normal brand is very cheap and it really made us notice the difference in quality.

We would pay £1.99 for a smaller jar. Probably wouldn't buy a bigger jar as only two of us eat peanut butter so a small jar lasts ages

Peanut butter was eaten on toast. Dd is planning some peanut butter fudge with the remainder if the jar

Yes definitely really enjoyed the flavour

scrappydappydoo Wed 18-Sep-13 12:50:43

I loved the texture and taste -felt like I was actually eating peanuts.

We normally get supermarket own brand - I preferred whole earth as it was less greasy

As much as loved whole earth - price wins everytime so this would be a little on the expensive side - I would definitely buy it if on offer.

I love peanut butter sandwiches with and without jam smile I also love to spread it on apple slices for a healthier snack

I would recommend as it does seem better quality taste wise.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now