This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you'd like test a product on Mumsnet please mail insight@mumsnet.com.

NOW CLOSED: Lyclear head lice Treatment Shampoo: Feedback thread: now with final questions added

(201 Posts)
KatieBMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 30-Aug-13 16:07:24

This thread is for the 100 unfortunate MNers who have recently experienced head lice and trialled Lyclear Treatment Shampoo.

Here's what Lyclear have to say about their product, "Lyclear Treatment Shampoo is and is as easy to use as washing hair. (1) The unique double action formula suffocates and dehydrates head lice and their eggs and is free from insecticides. The shampoo acts in a purely physical manner, ensuring the head lice do not become resistant to the treatment."

Lyclear Treatment Shampoo is suitable for adults and children over 2 years of age. Note: You should only use Lyclear Treatment Shampoo if you have live head lice. Do not use if allergic to any of the ingredients.*

So if you're a tester we'd like you to add feedback to this thread at least twice: Once when you first use the shampoo and once again after the second application (7 days after the first).

Lyclear says after checking the hair for lice with the fine toothed comb enclosed you should evenly apply the shampoo to dry hair, massaging from root to tip, paying particular attention to the neck and behind the ears. Leave on for 10 minutes then wash and rinse the hair thoroughly. Remove dead head lice and eggs with the fine toothed comb, thoroughly cleaning after use. Repeat the treatment after 7 days.

Please note your comments may be used by Lyclear in marketing material, on their website and possibly elsewhere.

So for your first feedback post please share:

Firstly about head lice:
1. Who in your family is being treated for head lice? Please include gender and age
2. Is this the first time they've had head lice? If no, how many times have they had head lice?
3. What treatments have you tried in the past?

Secondly about Lyclear Treatment Shampoo:
1. How easy did you find using the fine toothed comb?
2. How did Lyclear Treatment Shampoo compare to other treatments you've used in the past? Please note Lyclear is clinically proven to kill 100% of head lice after the second treatment is complete. For each of the following statements please say if Lyclear Treatment Shampoo was better, about the same or worse than other treatments you may have used:
a. Effective at removing most head lice and eggs
b. Ease of use
c. Convenience
d. Greasiness of treatment
e. Ease of washing out treatment
3. Please provide more details if you felt Lyclear Treatment Shampoo was worse than previous treatments for any of the above:
4. Did you like the fragrance or smell of Lyclear Treatment Shampoo?
5. Any other comments on initial use?
6. Did your child like the shampoo? Please say what they thought

All selected testers who add at least two lots of feedback will be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win £250 worth of Love2Shop vouchers.

Thanks and good luck (with everything)

MNHQ

References
1. Izri,D. 2010 Evaluation of the pediculicide and lenticide efficacy of Paranix shampoo treatment. Paris
* Ingredients include mineral oil, MIPA-LAURETH SULFATE, Laureth-4, Cocamide DEA and perfume

lisad123everybodydancenow Fri 06-Sep-13 15:00:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mothermirth Fri 06-Sep-13 16:20:50

Firstly about head lice:
1 DD, aged 15.
2 Numerous times since primary school.
3 Hedrin, tea tree oil, wet combing daily for years sad At the end of my tether and seriously considering whether the only option is to cut off her waistlength locks or contact The Hairforce.

1 How easy did you find using the fine toothed comb?
Metal combs stretch and break my DD's hair. We used a white plastic one.
2 How did Lyclear Treatment Shampoo compare to other treatments you've used in the past? Please note Lyclear is clinically proven to kill 100% of head lice after the second treatment is complete. For each of the following statements please say if Lyclear Treatment Shampoo was better, about the same or worse than other treatments you may have used:
Hard to say as she has so much hair but there is a definite improvement in the number of live lice remaining after one treatment.
b. Ease of use
I left her to get on with it and she managed the whole thing without any trouble.
c. Convenience
No better or worse than other treatments.
It was very greasy… (but see e, below)
My DD is desperate to get rid of her headlice but was reluctant to try ‘yet another’ treatment as the ones we have used previously have left her hair looking like an oil slick and have taken a week of daily washing to remove. She was pleased to report that Lyclear was surprisingly easy to wash out considering it seemed very greasy to apply.
3. Please provide more details if you felt Lyclear Treatment Shampoo was worse than previous treatments for any of the above:
n/a
Neither liked nor disliked.
Nope.
She found it left her hair feeling soft and glossy: result!

mothermirth Fri 06-Sep-13 16:22:37

PS 6. But not greasy!

Bellebelle Fri 06-Sep-13 18:34:34

Firstly about head lice:
1. Who in your family is being treated for head lice? Please include gender and age
DD1 (8) DD2 (5) and me (35)
2. Is this the first time they've had head lice? If no, how many times have they had head lice?
No, this is the second time for all.
Hedrin and wet combing with nitty gritty comb.

1. How easy did you find using the fine toothed comb? Very easy.
2. How did Lyclear Treatment Shampoo compare to other treatments you've used in the past? Please note Lyclear is clinically proven to kill 100% of head lice after the second treatment is complete. For each of the following statements please say if Lyclear Treatment Shampoo was better, about the same or worse than other treatments you may have used:
a. Effective at removing most head lice and eggs - not sure, lots came out but not sure if all have been removed.
b. Ease of use - Easier than Hedrin, not as runny, good that it can be applied direct from the bottle.
c. Convenience - Relatively convenient, good that it doesn't have to be left in overnight.
d. Greasiness of treatment - a bit greasy but not as bad as others.
e. Ease of washing out treatment - pretty easy.
4. Did you like the fragrance or smell of Lyclear Treatment Shampoo? I did actually, it smells a bit like rose oil.
5. Any other comments on initial use? I found it much easier to use than hedrin but I won't stop wet combing with the nitty gritty comb and conditioner as well. Not convinced it will work on its own with that comb. 8 treatments is misleading, for very short hair maybe.
6. Did your child like the shampoo? Please say what they thought: they thought it was 'fine' but neither particularly enjoys the process of being 'de-loused' so difficult to get a more enthusiastic response.

All selected testers who add at least two lots of feedback will be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win £250 worth of Love2Shop vouchers.

Thanks and good luck (with everything)

MNHQ

References
1. Izri,D. 2010 Evaluation of the pediculicide and lenticide efficacy of Paranix shampoo treatment. Paris
* Ingredients include mineral oil, MIPA-LAURETH SULFATE, Laureth-4, Cocamide DEA and perfume

dstill1964 Fri 06-Sep-13 20:14:05

Hi; 1: Unfortunately I am treating myself age 49 and my twins age 12All female. 2:We seem to have recurring bouts of this with little respite in between.3: I can honestly say I have tried everything from Prioderm , to hedrin, tea tree oil to vosene and wet combing with little effect.

1: The fine toothed comb was very thorough and removed the nits quite easily with little discomfort and was sturdier than the usual plastic ones provided. It did seem difficult to clean at the end though.
2: a]Very impressed with how quickly it worked and there were loads of eggs removed quickly b] and c]It was easy to use and the instructions were easy to follow. The applicator tip was easy to remove and replace and the bottle fitted comfortably in my hand. d]Although the treatment did initially feel greasy it actually spread well throughout the hair and coated it well and was lovely to massage in .e]I liked that this foamed up into a shampoo when washing the hair as it felt that the hair truly was clean and an added bonus was that our hair felt nourished and conditioned too. It washed out really well.
3: Not applicable as was best product I have used.
4: The fragrance was pleasant and not overwhelming.
5:Have pictures of how many removed etc should you require them.
6:My Daughters were so surprised by the short time needed to treat them and it turned a normally tedious and tortuous one into a pleasant one as they loved having me massage this into their hair and how easy it was to shampoo out and comb through

dstill1964 Fri 06-Sep-13 20:16:24

Hi; 1: Unfortunately I am treating myself age 49 and my twins age 12All female. 2:We seem to have recurring bouts of this with little respite in between.3: I can honestly say I have tried everything and wet combing with little effect.

1: The fine toothed comb was very thorough and removed the nits quite easily with little discomfort and was sturdier than the usual plastic ones provided. It did seem difficult to clean at the end though.
2: a]Very impressed with how quickly it worked and there were loads of eggs removed quickly b] and c]It was easy to use and the instructions were easy to follow. The applicator tip was easy to remove and replace and the bottle fitted comfortably in my hand. d]Although the treatment did initially feel greasy it actually spread well throughout the hair and coated it well and was lovely to massage in .e]I liked that this foamed up into a shampoo when washing the hair as it felt that the hair truly was clean and an added bonus was that our hair felt nourished and conditioned too. It washed out really well.
3: Not applicable as was best product I have used.
4: The fragrance was pleasant and not overwhelming.
5:Have pictures of how many removed etc should you require them.
6:My Daughters were so surprised by the short time needed to treat them and it turned a normally tedious and tortuous one into a pleasant one as they loved having me massage this into their hair and how easy it was to shampoo out and comb through

Myself, son aged 9, daughter aged 6, son aged 4 and daughter aged 3.

This is the third time we have had them.

I have tried Full marks mousse, wet combing with conditioner and Nitty Gritty comb and Lyclear lotion.

It was easy to use the comb, a bit too easy and I found that the teeth seem to be quite far apart which didn't do much good when it came to getting the eggs out.

2. How did Lyclear Treatment Shampoo compare to other treatments you've used in the past?
a. Effective at removing most head lice and eggs - Lice the same, eggs worse
b. Ease of use - Better
c. Convenience - same
d. Greasiness of treatment - same
e. Ease of washing out treatment - Better

4. Did you like the fragrance or smell of Lyclear Treatment Shampoo? - It was better than others and the smell wasn't offensive but wasn't particularly nice either

5. Any other comments on initial use? - I found it much easier to wash out than others, even though it's very greasy to apply

6. Did your child like the shampoo? Please say what they thought - They weren't bothered by having the shampoo on other than it dripping down them due it being greasy.

sewingandcakes Fri 06-Sep-13 22:49:03

Myself, 36. 2 boys, 6 and 7.

Yes, the first time.

Wet combing this time.

Easy, it seems good. I have dreadlocks so can't use the comb, and will be interested too see whether the shampoo works for me on it's own....

Same.

b. Ease of use

Better.

c. Convenience

Better : the bottle shape made it easy to apply.

Same - not too greasy, I could feel it on my hands but it washed off fairly well.

Same.

It smelt like a non permanent hair dye. The boys had no complaints.

It all seemed easy and not too much trouble to use.

They said it was fine.

jimblejambles Sat 07-Sep-13 08:58:12

How quickly did everyone's kit arrive? We are still waiting for ours

skyeskyeskye Sat 07-Sep-13 09:10:25

I think mine Arrived the next day!

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 07-Sep-13 09:37:35

sorry if yours hasn't arrived - v weird as there has been a few folks. Been assured all were sent. Anyway we are trying to get replacements out as obvs appreciate the urgency of it.

libEL Sat 07-Sep-13 13:36:52

Daughter 10, Son 6 and Myself 33
Daughter had headlice 3 times
NittyGritty comb, Hedrin

Comb was easy to use
Loved product, easy to use, greasy but washed out with ease, removed all lice and eggs.
Loved fragrance
My daughter liked shampoo, wanted bugs gone!

Hawkmoth Sat 07-Sep-13 13:57:57

Mine has arrived today, Saturday treat for the boys of the household!

HeyUGuys Sat 07-Sep-13 14:02:20

Mine arrived today, treated ds aged 6, has had headlice 3 times this year. Usually use hedrin, wet combing.

Smelt nice, easy to use, quick.
Most lice were dead although a couple were still moving. Comb wasnt the best though.

TiredDog Sat 07-Sep-13 14:09:34

2nd application: DD had three immature nits. I had none

Only found the 'nozzle' tip came off after I'd read that on here.

Pleased with the outcome tbh

1. Who in your family is being treated for head lice? Please include gender and age: Daughter age 8.
2. Is this the first time they've had head lice? If no, how many times have they had head lice? She became infected with headlice for the first time about 10 weeks ago, and we have been unsuccessful in completely clearing them since this time, despite using various methods and products.
3. What treatments have you tried in the past? Hedrin Treat and Go mousse, Hedrin Once, Full Marks (liquid, mousse and lotion), Lyclear Spray Away, combing with conditioner, a product we purchased in France (the name of which I don't remember!)

1. How easy did you find using the fine toothed comb? It was difficult to clean the lice out of the teeth of the comb.
2. How did Lyclear Treatment Shampoo compare to other treatments you've used in the past? As yet, we've had six days since the first treatment and we've had no itching so far, touch wood...
Please note Lyclear is clinically proven to kill 100% of head lice after the second treatment is complete. For each of the following statements please say if Lyclear Treatment Shampoo was better, about the same or worse than other treatments you may have used:
a. Effective at removing most head lice and eggs: better
b. Ease of use: Easier than Hedrin because you don't have to wash out with shampoo and conditioner after treatment.
c. Convenience: Better
d. Greasiness of treatment: More greasy than some others.
e. Ease of washing out treatment: It looked as though all the product had rinsed out, but as the hair dried, it became apparent there was still product left in there.
4. Did you like the fragrance or smell of Lyclear Treatment Shampoo? It was pleasant enough, it wasn't over powering.
5. Any other comments on initial use? 6 days with no itching is a good indicator that this product may be effective...
6. Did your child like the shampoo? Please say what they thought: "I liked the feel when it was on my hair. It was quite quick."

KJ123 Sat 07-Sep-13 19:58:02

irstly about head lice:
1. Who in your family is being treated for head lice? Please include gender and age. girl, 11
2. Is this the first time they've had head lice? If no, how many times have they had head lice? about 4
3. What treatments have you tried in the past? Full marks, wet combing with conditioner

1. How easy did you find using the fine toothed comb? not bad, but I preferrred a white plastic comb I have used before as it went through hair easier (with shorter teeth) and with metal comb it was hard to tell if it was just water or lice in comb.
a. Effective at removing most head lice and eggs - semed a little better (so far)
b. Ease of use - better (bit easier than mousse to apply)
c. Convenience - better (easy, & quicker)
d. Greasiness of treatment - worse. hair was vey greasy afterwards and had to be washed again next day.
e. Ease of washing out treatment - seemed ok at the time, but see d above!
4. Did you like the fragrance or smell of Lyclear Treatment Shampoo? no, daughter didn't.
5. Any other comments on initial use? awaiting results after a week.
6. Did your child like the shampoo? Please say what they thought. daughter liked comb, but not smell, didnt feel nice when it was greasy - uncomfortable. Says needs better instructions - bigger font & clearer.

Trynottoshout Sat 07-Sep-13 20:05:03

This thread is for the 100 unfortunate MNers who have recently experienced head lice and trialled Lyclear Treatment Shampoo.

Here's what Lyclear have to say about their product, "Lyclear Treatment Shampoo is and is as easy to use as washing hair. (1) The unique double action formula suffocates and dehydrates head lice and their eggs and is free from insecticides. The shampoo acts in a purely physical manner, ensuring the head lice do not become resistant to the treatment."

Lyclear Treatment Shampoo is suitable for adults and children over 2 years of age. Note: You should only use Lyclear Treatment Shampoo if you have live head lice. Do not use if allergic to any of the ingredients.*

So if you're a tester we'd like you to add feedback to this thread at least twice: Once when you first use the shampoo and once again after the second application (7 days after the first).

Lyclear says after checking the hair for lice with the fine toothed comb enclosed you should evenly apply the shampoo to dry hair, massaging from root to tip, paying particular attention to the neck and behind the ears. Leave on for 10 minutes then wash and rinse the hair thoroughly. Remove dead head lice and eggs with the fine toothed comb, thoroughly cleaning after use. Repeat the treatment after 7 days.

Please note your comments may be used by Lyclear in marketing material, on their website and possibly elsewhere.

Firstly about head lice:
1. 3 sons aged 7,5 and 3 and mum aged 39
2. First time younger boys , second time for 7 year old and it's been a while for me ....
3. I have tried herbal and wet combing in the past with limited success taking a few weeks to get rid of them.

1. Comb was fine for the boys short hair but harder to work with on my hair.
a. Effective with wet combing
b. Easy on the boys hair although it was not clear how much to use. I don't think I put enough on mine and it didn't lather properly
c. Fine but you have to get set up with towels etc
d. Oily but I was prepared for that with towels and hot soapy water for comb
e. easy to wash out but hard to lather if you don't use enough

3. Just some instructions could be clearer - amount to use.

4. Did not especially like it but then it's for getting rid of head lice and eggs so didn't expect to. It was not offensive though
5. I found it easy to use
6. They moaned (par for the course and I do remind them they could have long hair. They didn't complain about Lyclear especially just the whole thing! Instruction could suggest towels round necks and on sofa with DvD for the 10 min wait!

wheredoistartmrs Sat 07-Sep-13 20:21:56

7 day follow up, everything fine

as before. I believe we are both nit free hooray

second treatment, just as easy to use. seemed pointless as hair was clear but gave peace of mind and the kids didn't complain as the smell isn't as bad as others

1. DS age 7, DS aged 4, me aged 30ish
2. First time
3. Some strange headline treatment from the pharmacy on holiday that did nothing to kill the head lice, wet combing.

1. The comb was easy to use, and the DC said it hurt their hair/scalp less. However I'm not sure how good the comb is - all the advice I'd read online e.g. the NHS guidance says that a plastic comb is better than a metal one so I was surprised to receive a metal nit comb in the box.
smile
a. Hard to judge - we've been wet combing for the last two weeks so I think the bulk of the head lice have already been removed. I combed out several bugs from each DS.
b. the product was easy to use - it spread through the hair evenly without being too runny. No unpleasant smell. The DC were pleased that it didnt sting their eyes.
C. Convenience - it was quick and easy to do, but I guess time will tell if all the bugs are killed.
D. The product had a similar consistency to baby lotion. I was concerned that it would leave a greasy residue in the hair but actually it washed out well and left the hair soft but not slimy.
E. washed out easily

3. lyclear was easier to use than the unknown Spanish pharmacy product. If it works in two treatments it will be significantly quicker than wet combining every other day.

4. There wasn't a distinct 'fragrance' but the smell was less offensive than other products I've heard about.

5. It would be useful to have a little more guidance in the box about whether it is ok to swim the next day etc.

6. The DC liked the shampoo. They'd both seen the advert on tv (Cartoonito?) and could both tell me the benefits of the product. They liked the animation of the bugs beings caught in bubbles. As a result they were positive about using it.

ilikesweetpeas Sun 08-Sep-13 08:27:15

Firstly about head lice:
Me, DH, both 30's, DD 5

First time, bought nitty gritty comb then saw this thread

N/A

Found it a bit bendy, espicially on thick curly hair

2. How did Lyclear Treatment Shampoo compare to other treatments you've used in the past? Please note Lyclear is clinically proven to kill 100% of head lice after the second treatment is complete. For each of the following statements please say if Lyclear Treatment Shampoo was better, about the same or worse than other treatments you may have used: Can't compare it but these are my thoughts
a. Effective at removing most head lice and eggs - Yes, seems to be
b. Ease of use - easy to use
c. Convenience - fine
d. Greasiness of treatment - not really greasy, just more thn norma shampoo
e. Ease of washing out treatment - needed a good rins under power shower
4. Did you like the fragrance or smell of Lyclear Treatment Shampoo? a bit like hair dye but ok
6. Did your child like the shampoo? Please say what they thought - told her it would make her hair shiny! she was fine

Can I add to my feedback please? I wrote the feedback above based on the experience of treating the DCs hair. I later did my hair. I've got very fine, very straight shoulder length coloured hair. The Lyclear made my hair tangle really badly. I had to use conditioner to get my regular brush through my hair, the comb was impossible. It's pulled out loads of my hair and the colour is dulled.
Maybe this is a good product for DS with short hair but I wouldn't recommend it for an adult with my hair type.

Hawkmoth Sun 08-Sep-13 13:18:06

Firstly about head lice:
DH 34, DS 4

No. We've had them on and off since January this year following an unfortunate hat-sharing incident.

Hedrin, wet-combing and one of those things with Neem in it.

VERY easy on DS. In fact, after using it he didn't need conditioner as it left his hair so soft.
DH has very thick longish curly hair. I tried the comb on him (the metal and green plastic) and it pulled a load out. He was fairly unhappy. So I used one of the plastic ones we've stockpiled.

Better

b. Ease of use
Better - love the long nozzle

c. Convenience
Better - ten minutes is v manageable

Worse - but only on hands. It washed off easily, even from DS who was restyling himself in the mirror and got covered.

Better - surprised at how well it lathered up and we didn't use any further shampoo on it. Hair has been left soft and shiny.

See above.

Yes. Floral without being overpowering.

The treatment goes a long way, spreads over hair very quickly and there seems to be quite a bit left in the bottle.

Says it smelt very nice but didn't like the look of his hair while it was on... For all of ten minutes... Fusspot.

portiapinks Sun 08-Sep-13 17:37:09

1. Who in your family is being treated for head lice?
My 2 boys age 2 and 4

2. Is this the first time they've had head lice?
They have had head lice a lot

Tea tree oil, conditioner, head clear, shops own brand, headrin

Ok but it did not get everything out of there hair had to Go through there hair afterwards with a nitty gritty comb.

2. How did Lyclear Treatment Shampoo compare to other treatments you've used in the past?
Please note Lyclear is clinically proven to kill 100% of head lice after the second treatment is complete. For each of the following statements please say if Lyclear Treatment Shampoo was better, about the same or worse than other treatments you may have used:

After using I did find a lot of dead lice and some eggs came away
b. Ease of use
Very easy
c. Convenience
Great

Found it was a lot less greaser than previous treatments I've used
Really good
It wasn't any worse

Not as bad as some others

After I applied the first treatment lice were jumping off there heads!.

They are so used to this by now, they were fine. But normally complain about the smell. No grumbles

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now