This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you'd like test a product on Mumsnet please mail insight@mumsnet.com.

NOW CLOSED: Lyclear head lice Treatment Shampoo: Feedback thread: now with final questions added

(201 Posts)
KatieBMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 30-Aug-13 16:07:24

This thread is for the 100 unfortunate MNers who have recently experienced head lice and trialled Lyclear Treatment Shampoo.

Here's what Lyclear have to say about their product, "Lyclear Treatment Shampoo is and is as easy to use as washing hair. (1) The unique double action formula suffocates and dehydrates head lice and their eggs and is free from insecticides. The shampoo acts in a purely physical manner, ensuring the head lice do not become resistant to the treatment."

Lyclear Treatment Shampoo is suitable for adults and children over 2 years of age. Note: You should only use Lyclear Treatment Shampoo if you have live head lice. Do not use if allergic to any of the ingredients.*

So if you're a tester we'd like you to add feedback to this thread at least twice: Once when you first use the shampoo and once again after the second application (7 days after the first).

Lyclear says after checking the hair for lice with the fine toothed comb enclosed you should evenly apply the shampoo to dry hair, massaging from root to tip, paying particular attention to the neck and behind the ears. Leave on for 10 minutes then wash and rinse the hair thoroughly. Remove dead head lice and eggs with the fine toothed comb, thoroughly cleaning after use. Repeat the treatment after 7 days.

Please note your comments may be used by Lyclear in marketing material, on their website and possibly elsewhere.

So for your first feedback post please share:

Firstly about head lice:
1. Who in your family is being treated for head lice? Please include gender and age
2. Is this the first time they've had head lice? If no, how many times have they had head lice?
3. What treatments have you tried in the past?

Secondly about Lyclear Treatment Shampoo:
1. How easy did you find using the fine toothed comb?
2. How did Lyclear Treatment Shampoo compare to other treatments you've used in the past? Please note Lyclear is clinically proven to kill 100% of head lice after the second treatment is complete. For each of the following statements please say if Lyclear Treatment Shampoo was better, about the same or worse than other treatments you may have used:
a. Effective at removing most head lice and eggs
b. Ease of use
c. Convenience
d. Greasiness of treatment
e. Ease of washing out treatment
3. Please provide more details if you felt Lyclear Treatment Shampoo was worse than previous treatments for any of the above:
4. Did you like the fragrance or smell of Lyclear Treatment Shampoo?
5. Any other comments on initial use?
6. Did your child like the shampoo? Please say what they thought

All selected testers who add at least two lots of feedback will be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win £250 worth of Love2Shop vouchers.

Thanks and good luck (with everything)

MNHQ

References
1. Izri,D. 2010 Evaluation of the pediculicide and lenticide efficacy of Paranix shampoo treatment. Paris
* Ingredients include mineral oil, MIPA-LAURETH SULFATE, Laureth-4, Cocamide DEA and perfume

missusjen Wed 04-Sep-13 00:37:48

We've got 7 children who all play rough and tumble together and so as soon as one catches headlice it goes through the family.
We'd had an outbreak as they broke up from school and then again 3 weeks into the holiday, so I can only assume we weren't thorough enough somewhere. 2 of the children were away, so we couldn't treat them at the time. When they got back last week we had a look, and sure enough one was definitely infested.
I wanted to treat everyone else a week later anyway, as the treatment I had used doesn't kill any eggs, and even with combing with conditioner I wanted to be entirely sure. I treated several of them on Friday using the Lyclear. DS(15), DD(14), DS(3), DS(4), Me (41)

We've most definitely had headlice befrore. I'd say all of us 5+ times

I've used Hedrin, Full Marks (usual), wet combing (usual), nitty gritty comb, electric comb.

I thought the comb was a bit blah really. It wasn't brilliant, but it was okay.

I didn't find anything alive, and I feel all the big livce were removed, but not all of the eggs.

It was all easy to use

It was convenient, I just treated the little ones and let them run about for 10 minutes before a bath.

It wasn't as greasy as what I normally use (full marks) and first wash out was good. It didn't seem to drip so much from the hair either.

Washing out was good. When dry no-one had hair that looked greasy.

The comb was not as good as a nitty gritty, it wasn't special, so I've used better.

It smelled okay, still a bit 'medicated', but pleasant and not in any way 'girlie', which concerns my lot.

No-one had a particular opinion except that they were happier with the amount of 'drip' DS (15) DD (14). They didn't mind the smell, and no-one minded the washing it out afterwards.

CaptainSweatPants Wed 04-Sep-13 09:27:35

Firstly about head lice:
1. Who in your family is being treated for head lice? Please include gender and age - Myself, Female, 39. Daughter, Female, 6 Daughter,

2. Is this the first time they've had head lice? If no, how many times have they had head lice? - It's the second time sad

3. What treatments have you tried in the past? - Lyclear, Hedrin, Full Marks, Wet combing, Vinegar.

1. How easy did you find using the fine toothed comb? - Not a very good comb so I used the nitty gritty one we already had.

2. How did Lyclear Treatment Shampoo compare to other treatments you've used in the past? Please note Lyclear is clinically proven to kill 100% of head lice after the second treatment is complete. For each of the following statements please say if Lyclear Treatment Shampoo was better, about the same or worse than other treatments you may have used:

a. Effective at removing most head lice and eggs - The first treatment did not work, I was getting lots of live lice out of DDs hair, the second treatment they seemed to all be dead.

b. Ease of use - Easy to use, very greasy though and got everywhere!

c. Convenience - More convenient than the treatments that need to be left on for hours.

d. Greasiness of treatment - Very Greasy, Dripped from the hair all over the floor.

e. Ease of washing out treatment - Relatively easy to wash out.

3. Please provide more details if you felt Lyclear Treatment Shampoo was worse than previous treatments for any of the above: - I have yet to find a treatment that is 100% effective and this treatment was no more effective than the others.

4. Did you like the fragrance or smell of Lyclear Treatment Shampoo? - No it smells like dead roses.

5. Any other comments on initial use? - No

6. Did your child like the shampoo? Please say what they thought - She hated the smell and the greasiness, she thought it would be like washing her hair (as shown in the ads) but it's not.

Lampshadeofdoom Wed 04-Sep-13 11:02:42

Firstly about head lice:
1. Who in your family is being treated for head lice? Please include gender and age
Dd age 10
2. Is this the first time they've had head lice? If no, how many times have they had head lice?
No , five times but not for ages
Wet coming, Hedrin.

Comb was rubbish sorry! Too flexible.

2. How did Lyclear Treatment Shampoo compare to other treatments you've used in the past? Please note Lyclear is clinically proven to kill 100% of head lice after the second treatment is complete.

Both treatments I removed dead lice but still had live after first use.

For each of the following statements please say if Lyclear Treatment Shampoo was better, about the same or worse than other treatments you may have used:
b. Ease of use Spout makes it easy
c. Convenience Didn't have to be left on as long.
d. Greasiness of treatment, very greasy, hard to wash out.
See above
3. Please provide more details if you felt Lyclear Treatment Shampoo was worse than previous treatments for any of the above:
Bit like hair dye.
Didnt like having to spend ages rinsing. Like previous poster she thought it would be like ad just washing hair.

QuickSqueezeCoolBreeze Wed 04-Sep-13 12:49:06

Firstly about head lice:
1. DTD, (7) DS (6) and me (oh joy of joys!)
2. We have had lice visit us many, many times since my DTDs started school and I have probably spent a small fortune on products to combat it. I don't believe all parents comb their child's hair when letters are sent home <grrrr-mini rant>
3. What treatments have you tried in the past? In my case this question would be easier to answer with 'what haven't we tried' Hedrin, Full Marks, Once, Tea tree shampoo and conditioner, wet combing-all with Nitty Gritty Comb.

Um I have to admit that we didn't use the comb included as it seemed a poor substitute next to my faithful Nitty gritty comb and I didn't want to risk missing any of the blighters. Plus I may have read PP comments before beginning treatment and decided not to use it. However, I did run it through my DS short hair and he said 'ooh that feels nicer that the other comb'
a. Effective at removing most head lice and eggs BETTER The shampoo definitely killed a higher percentage that other treatments we have tried.
b. Ease of use I found it very easy to use-BETTER very similar to home hair dye both with a spout and the thickness of product. My only complaint was that I needed to do 4 of us with half the bottle and I was unable to see how much of the product I was using on each head (I fear I may have skimped on my own head)
c. Convenience BETTER Loving the 10mins
d. Greasiness of treatment BETTER-this was my biggest plus of this product-I felt that after we shampooed it out, our hair looked shiny and clean and not limp like other products.
e. Ease of washing out treatment WORSE You need to rinse A LOT A LOT
3. Please provide more details if you felt Lyclear Treatment Shampoo was worse than previous treatments for any of the above:Only that my DTDs had to get back in the shower twice after I thought we had rinsed it all out. It does take a lot of rinsing.
4. Did you like the fragrance or smell of Lyclear Treatment Shampoo? We all thought the smell of Lyclear was inoffensive and one of my DTDs actually said she like it.
5. Any other comments on initial use? No
DTDs liked that it didn't run in to their eyes and sting. They liked that it was only 10mins and they liked that their hair looked shiny and not greasy post wash. I think they would let me do this treatment again without any issue.

Hawkmoth Wed 04-Sep-13 14:15:07

Nobody treated yet... Not arrived sad

poppy1973 Wed 04-Sep-13 14:19:36

Firstly about head lice:
My son, 8 years of age.

No they have had head lice a few times over the last few years.

Tea tree shampoo, combing with a nit comb and combing with an battery operated nit comb that is meant to zap them out.

I didn't have a fine toothed comb in the box. So I had to use my ordinary nit comb instead.

b. Ease of use
c. Convenience

a. It seemed effective at removing the eggs from the head.
b. Easy to use as I normally washing the hair with conditioner and comb them out. Using the treatment made it so much easier.
c. Obviously very convenient as I don't have to constantly comb out nits with the old fashioned nit comb.
d. The product seemed a little greasy on the hands, not sure if this is normal with headlice treatment !!
e. Washed the hair a few times afterwards as it did seem at first to appear a bit greasy.

3. Please provide more details if you felt Lyclear Treatment Shampoo was worse than previous treatments for any of the above

It seemed more effective that my usual method of combing and dealt with the problem quite quickly.

Fragrance didn't seem too bad, my son didn't mind it.

No
6. Did your child like the shampoo?
My child didn't mind having the shampoo, he normally objects to the nit comb as he often says it hurts but the shampoo was found to be okay.

madbutnotbad Wed 04-Sep-13 17:48:24

1, Myself (adult smile, my daughters 3 + 5)
2, No they have had headlice on and off all summer and my youngest has had it once before.
3, We have tried wet combing (a lot), headrin overnight stuff and lyclear lotion.

1, Didn't like the comb I tried it on myself and didn't rate it so used my nitty gritty on the kids, to be honest I would rather not get the comb and pay a little less for the product.
2a, It seemed very good but the test will be in the next week if they start scratching again.
b, I found it very easy to use and great that it didn't need to be left in overnight.
c, Very convenient in and out in one go no messing around having to wash hair twice.
d, I didn't find the product greasy
e, I found the product very easy to wash out.
3, No I did not find this product worse than others I've used in the past.
4, Not really but I very rarely like the smell of hair products!
5,No
6, My children weren't very keen but then that was because of it being for nits! My eldest says it was ok she supposed!! hmm

FourLittleDudes Wed 04-Sep-13 23:37:21

Mine hasn't arrived yet.

CarmonEileen Thu 05-Sep-13 08:08:34

1. Daughter aged 6
2. Not first time sadly.
3. Wet combing, Hedrin Once,

1. The comb was bendy and the prongs short, Daughter complained it pulled, used the nitty gritty instead.
a. Effective at removing most head lice and eggs- same
b. Ease of use-same, bottle became very slippery
c. Convenience-better
d. Greasiness of treatment-same
e. Ease of washing out treatment-better-still greasy but better than other treatments available

3. Wasn't worse by any means.
4. Fragrance was fine, not overpowering.
5. No.
6. Didn't mind at all however as it was a 'treatment' we (I) pretended it was a spa type treatment therefore she was 'ok' with it, until the comb came out! :~)

HeyUGuys Thu 05-Sep-13 11:39:48

Still waiting for ours, will update when it arrives!

1. Who in your family is being treated for head lice? Please include gender and age DSs aged 13 and 15, plus DD 9
2. Is this the first time they've had head lice? If no, how many times have they had head lice? First time the boys have had it for years, DD has had outbreaks a couple of times a year since reception - there's a bit of an issue at school I think
3. What treatments have you tried in the past? most chemical ones, but usually we wet comb as DD seems to pick them up again within a couple of weeks and we can't continuously use them. We'd wet comb every shampoo anyway.

1. How easy did you find using the fine toothed comb? Better than the plastic ones you usually get, but I used our nitty gritty comb as gets more out
a. Effective at removing most head lice and eggs It was disgusting but also quite cool how many lice dropped out as I was massaging the shampoo into their hair. Seemed to get more eggs/nits out when combing through as well, but that could just be because they're easier to see without all the conditioner
b. Ease of use very easy
c. Convenience pretty convenient
d. Greasiness of treatment Didn't think it was that greasy - washed off my hands fairly easily
e. Ease of washing out treatment DC are all old enough to have showers alone, so didn't rinse it for them (can't see teen DSs letting me anywhere near them in the shower tbh!) but they all felt the need to shampoo with a normal shampoo to get the residue out
3. Please provide more details if you felt Lyclear Treatment Shampoo was worse than previous treatments for any of the above: It seemed to be pretty effective - as I said above, all the lice dropping out as it was applied was pretty impressive. I think more dropped out during treatment and rinsing than we actually found when combing afterwards
4. Did you like the fragrance or smell of Lyclear Treatment Shampoo? I quite liked it
They had no issues in using it - preferred it to the others we've tried in the past, and definitely prefer it to sitting still 2/3 times a week whilst I wet comb...

Damn, missed the better/same/worse bit

a, better b better c, better d, better e, average smile

Littlemousewithcloggson Thu 05-Sep-13 18:09:09

Used this product on a four year old girl and a five year old girl. They have had head lice numerous times since the eldest started school last year.
I have tried hedrin, full marks and own brand treatments as well as constant wet combing but nothing has been completely successful and they keep coming back!

Lyclear was very easy to apply by twisting the nozzle off and it went on the hair very easily and precisely. It didn't feel as greasy as some of the other treatments I have used before and smelt much nicer. Very quick and convenient and the girls didn't find it too stressful.

I loved the way it washed out, a small amount of water makes it into a lather like a normal shampoo rather than having to wash the hair at least 5 times as with other brands. I did find though that it was quite hard to wash out. Eldest daughter was out the shower and I was combing her hair before I realised there was still a deceptive amount of shampoo left. When I did my 2nd daughter I washed it an extra time which much more success. Overall a great product for washing out.

The comb worked very well but was a bit bendy. Lots of dead lice came out. Didn't shift the eggs as well as I would have liked but there wasn't a single live critter left.

Overall am delighted with this. Quick and easy. Both girls
asked if we could always use this one. They loved the ease and the smell.

Next day their hair didn't look greasy at all which was a lot different than with other brands.

Littlemousewithcloggson Thu 05-Sep-13 18:12:58

And to add , overall it was better than the other brands on all points

pippitysqueakity Thu 05-Sep-13 19:34:30

Mine hasn't arrived yet, so can't comment. sad

topknob Thu 05-Sep-13 20:29:31

Firstly about head lice:
1. Who in your family is being treated for head lice? Please include gender and age: Me, female 35, Daughter 8 and son 12
2. Is this the first time they've had head lice? If no, how many times have they had head lice? Numerous !
3. What treatments have you tried in the past? Hedrin, wet combing, full marks, lyclear

1. How easy did you find using the fine toothed comb? Bit flimsy, nitty gritty is much better.
2. How did Lyclear Treatment Shampoo compare to other treatments you've used in the past? Please note Lyclear is clinically proven to kill 100% of head lice after the second treatment is complete. For each of the following statements please say if Lyclear Treatment Shampoo was better, about the same or worse than other treatments you may have used: Ok, everyone seems not to be itching. Bottle became very slipply though and was dropped a few times.
a. Effective at removing most head lice and eggs. The comb was ok.
b. Ease of use. Good
c. Convenience. Good
d. Greasiness of treatment. Ok
e. Ease of washing out treatment. Nightmare but these things always are.
3. Please provide more details if you felt Lyclear Treatment Shampoo was worse than previous treatments for any of the above: No
4. Did you like the fragrance or smell of Lyclear Treatment Shampoo? I did !
5. Any other comments on initial use? Have none left for 2nd attempt !
6. Did your child like the shampoo? Please say what they thought: Not much, they are grateful for anything to stop the itching.

Springcleanish Thu 05-Sep-13 21:06:28

So for your first feedback post please share:

Firstly about head lice:
1. Who in your family is being treated for head lice? Please include gender and age. DD age 10
2. Is this the first time they've had head lice? If no, how many times have they had head lice? No, countless times
3. What treatments have you tried in the past? Hedrin, full marks, nitty gritty, tea tree oil

1. How easy did you find using the fine toothed comb? Easy but pulled on fine hair, nitty gritty better
a. Effective at removing most head lice and eggs. Same
b. Ease of use. Worse
c. Convenience. Same
d. Greasiness of treatment. Same
e. Ease of washing out treatment. Same
3. Please provide more details if you felt Lyclear Treatment Shampoo was worse than previous treatments for any of the above: Left greasy hair for 10 mins which she leant onto pillow and got into eyes , left my hands, bottle, cabinet really greasy
4. Did you like the fragrance or smell of Lyclear Treatment Shampoo? Yes
5. Any other comments on initial use? Greasy but seems to work
Didn't like it, greasy and went in eyes

nowahousewife Fri 06-Sep-13 08:49:50

DD aged 15

no, unfortunately if is a regular occurance

full marks, nitty gritty, whatever is available when we are abroad (this year it was something French last year Spanish)

easy to use but not effective - i reverted to using my trusty Full Marks one

appeared to be effective

b. Ease of use
greasy, we did it outside so drips didn't matter but this would not be an option in winter

c. Convenience
fine

as mentioned greasy and I did find some drips on the kitchen floor

DD said it was fine

only the drippy/greasiness

it was ok

it appears to be doing the job

she though it was pretty much like any other nit treatment apart from the one we got in France which was a gel like formular and washed out very easily

MikeLitoris Fri 06-Sep-13 11:40:59

Firstly about head lice:
1. Who in your family is being treated for head lice? Please include gender and age dd1 8yo and dd2 2yo
2. Is this the first time they've had head lice? If no, how many times have they had head lice? dd1 has had them before but first time for dd2
3. What treatments have you tried in the past? other brands, wet combing.

1. How easy did you find using the fine toothed comb? it was rubbish. teeeth are far too wide. the handle was nice and big through.

a. Effective at removing most head lice and eggs better than others
b. Ease of use same as others
c. Convenience same as others
d. Greasiness of treatment same as others, would have preferred a mousse
e. Ease of washing out treatment not as hard to wash as others. Still to difficult to wash off a 2yo that detests having her hair washed. it took two washes to get out
4. Did you like the fragrance or smell of Lyclear Treatment Shampoo? smell was too chemical for me, no different to other treatments though
6. Did your child like the shampoo? Please say what they thought dd1 wouldn't have been able to tell the difference between this and any other treatment we have tried

skyeskyeskye Fri 06-Sep-13 12:45:44

Firstly about head lice:

1. Who in your family is being treated for head lice? Please include gender and age Daughter aged 5

2. Is this the first time they've had head lice? If no, how many times have they had head lice? Second time

3. What treatments have you tried in the past? Nitty Gritty

Svrider Fri 06-Sep-13 12:55:59

I liked this product overall
Used it for 4yo 6yo and 8 yo
Didn't really have enough in 200ml bottle for all 3 children
Perfume quite nice
Comb a bit rubbish, I used nitty gritty
I was pleased by how it washed out

I must say tho that I took DC to hairdresser next day who located a live nit on 6yo dd, bit embarrassing !

Overall a reasonable alternative to hedrin, but Unfortunetly not as good as I'd hoped

ConsiderablyBiggerBuns Fri 06-Sep-13 12:57:29

1. Who in your family is being treated for head lice? Please include gender and age - Daughter aged 14
2. Is this the first time they've had head lice? If no, how many times have they had head lice? They have had recurrent episodes but last one has lasted over a year - she has waist length curly hair and is a nightmare to treat
3. What treatments have you tried in the past? Hedren and Nitty grtitty Comb

1. How easy did you find using the fine toothed comb? Easy but not very effective, passed through hair clean but when I used Nitty Gritty comb lots of the little buggers
a. Effective at removing most head lice and eggs - too soon to tell although mid week wash found only 2 full grown lice
b. Ease of use - much easier than other shampoo in techniques
c. Convenience - Not as convenient as just combing but no more inconveneient than using a leave in conditioner
d. Greasiness of treatment - wouldn't go out with it on but again, seen worse
e. Ease of washing out treatment - very easy
4. Did you like the fragrance or smell of Lyclear Treatment Shampoo? I don't actively like it but doesn't smell too chemically so fairly pleasant to deal with
5. Any other comments on initial use? I did wash and condition as normal afterwards but hair was very soft and pretty
They didn't mind the process but will be delighted if it works.

Svrider Fri 06-Sep-13 12:58:32

Also the myth about been able to get nit treatment free via pharmacies is true!!
I've registered today
My oldest is 8yo and I've just found out about this
Many thanks to the mner who mentioned this in one of the nit thread
<nit thread lurker!>

skyeskyeskye Fri 06-Sep-13 13:20:45

1. How easy did you find using the fine toothed comb? - very easy, not as rough on the hair as nitty gritty

a. Effective at removing most head lice and eggs - very good

b. Ease of use - easy

c. Convenience - good

d. Greasiness of treatment - very greasy and runny, bit too much

e. Ease of washing out treatment - good, but did take a few washes

4. Did you like the fragrance or smell of Lyclear Treatment Shampoo?it was ok

5. Any other comments on initial use? - none

6. Did your child like the shampoo? Please say what they thought - she hates having her hair shampooed, but she was ok with it

I thought the shampoo was very effective - all lice appeared to be dead, I will use it again as recommended and hopefully the lice will be gone for good.

I will post again after second use

Firstly about head lice:

*7yr old dd and 37 yr old mum*

*I've not had headlice since I was a child, dd seems to get them at least once a term since starting school*

* every chemical treatment avalible, wet combing with a fine tooth comb, wet combing with a nitty gritty and tea tree oil in a spray as a preventative measure*

* the comb was fine to use, it went through brushed and combed hair easy enough, I would prefer to use he nity gritty comb over this one though as dd has very fine hair at the hair line and this didn't remove the cases there*

yes

b. Ease of use

*very easy to use*

c. Convenience

*very convenient*

*was very runny when applied and the product did drip leaving the skin feeling very oily/greasy*

* extremely easy to wash out*

*has been the best of the products I have used in the past, my only real issue is that it says up to 8 treatments, and dd and I have used just over half a bottle for one treatment, there will just about be enough to do the follow up treatment, both of us have shoulder length hair*

* I didn't dislike it, not sure I would go so far as to say that I did like it though*

*I'm pleased with how easy it was to wash out of the hair and that it didn't leave hair lank and greasy looking even after several washes.*

*dd didn't complain about the hair washing anymore than normal, she didn't like that it dripped in the ten minutes waiting time though and she said it stung when it dripped into her eye (we did wash out with cold water)*

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now