Please note: This topic is for your comments and feedback on Product Tests being run by Mumsnet. It is not the place to post (or ask for) comments on other products. If you do this, your comments may be deleted. If you'd like to run your own product test, please email insight@mumsnet.com. If you are an entrepreneur or start-up and would like to ask for some feedback, please visit our media requests topic.

NOW CLOSED: Lyclear head lice Treatment Shampoo: Feedback thread: now with final questions added

(201 Posts)
KatieBMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 30-Aug-13 16:07:24

This thread is for the 100 unfortunate MNers who have recently experienced head lice and trialled Lyclear Treatment Shampoo.

Here's what Lyclear have to say about their product, "Lyclear Treatment Shampoo is and is as easy to use as washing hair. (1) The unique double action formula suffocates and dehydrates head lice and their eggs and is free from insecticides. The shampoo acts in a purely physical manner, ensuring the head lice do not become resistant to the treatment."

Lyclear Treatment Shampoo is suitable for adults and children over 2 years of age. Note: You should only use Lyclear Treatment Shampoo if you have live head lice. Do not use if allergic to any of the ingredients.*

So if you're a tester we'd like you to add feedback to this thread at least twice: Once when you first use the shampoo and once again after the second application (7 days after the first).

Lyclear says after checking the hair for lice with the fine toothed comb enclosed you should evenly apply the shampoo to dry hair, massaging from root to tip, paying particular attention to the neck and behind the ears. Leave on for 10 minutes then wash and rinse the hair thoroughly. Remove dead head lice and eggs with the fine toothed comb, thoroughly cleaning after use. Repeat the treatment after 7 days.

Please note your comments may be used by Lyclear in marketing material, on their website and possibly elsewhere.

So for your first feedback post please share:

Firstly about head lice:
1. Who in your family is being treated for head lice? Please include gender and age
2. Is this the first time they've had head lice? If no, how many times have they had head lice?
3. What treatments have you tried in the past?

Secondly about Lyclear Treatment Shampoo:
1. How easy did you find using the fine toothed comb?
2. How did Lyclear Treatment Shampoo compare to other treatments you've used in the past? Please note Lyclear is clinically proven to kill 100% of head lice after the second treatment is complete. For each of the following statements please say if Lyclear Treatment Shampoo was better, about the same or worse than other treatments you may have used:
a. Effective at removing most head lice and eggs
b. Ease of use
c. Convenience
d. Greasiness of treatment
e. Ease of washing out treatment
3. Please provide more details if you felt Lyclear Treatment Shampoo was worse than previous treatments for any of the above:
4. Did you like the fragrance or smell of Lyclear Treatment Shampoo?
5. Any other comments on initial use?
6. Did your child like the shampoo? Please say what they thought

All selected testers who add at least two lots of feedback will be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win £250 worth of Love2Shop vouchers.

Thanks and good luck (with everything)

MNHQ

References
1. Izri,D. 2010 Evaluation of the pediculicide and lenticide efficacy of Paranix shampoo treatment. Paris
* Ingredients include mineral oil, MIPA-LAURETH SULFATE, Laureth-4, Cocamide DEA and perfume

mirandabee Mon 02-Sep-13 11:12:01

Firstly about head lice:
1. Who in your family is being treated for head lice?
Me (), DD1 (10), DS (7) and DD (3)

2. Is this the first time they've had head lice? If no, how many times have they had head lice?
Probably the second time for my 3 year old, but DD1 and DS have had this on and off for a longer time.

Hedrin, Full Marks and combing with nitty gritty and conditioner

I liked that the comb was sturdy as we all have quite thick hair. We have found the combs supplied with other treatments too flimsy.

2. How did Lyclear Treatment Shampoo compare to other treatments you've used in the past? Please note Lyclear is clinically proven to kill 100% of head lice after the second treatment is complete. For each of the following statements please say if Lyclear Treatment Shampoo was better, about the same or worse than other treatments you may have used:

So far so good for most of us, except DS, who I noticed was scratching last night!

b. Ease of use
Quite tricky to apply on long hair.

c. Convenience
Quite time consuming.

Quite greasy to apply, but not so bad once in the hair.

Took us a long time to rinse out of long hair.

3. Please provide more details if you felt Lyclear Treatment Shampoo was worse than previous treatments for any of the above:

The fragrance wasn't bad

Fairly easy to sue

They didn't particularly enjoy the experience, but none of them like to sit still for too long!

LilyBossom Mon 02-Sep-13 11:20:36

Firstly about head lice:
1. Who in your family is being treated for head lice? Please include gender and age. Daughter 16, me 42.
2. Is this the first time they've had head lice? If no, how many times have they had head lice? No, had at least a dozen times before.
3. What treatments have you tried in the past? All chemicals then gave up and went to NittyGritty and conditioner with tea tree and neem oil added. Is only thing that worked.

1. How easy did you find using the fine toothed comb? OK, but didn't really work well.
a. Effective at removing most head lice and eggs - seemed to clear the majority.
b. Ease of use - easy.
c. Convenience - ok I guess.
d. Greasiness of treatment - seemed quite greasy.
e. Ease of washing out treatment - took lots of rinsing to get rid.
4. Did you like the fragrance or smell of Lyclear Treatment Shampoo? not pleasant.
5. Any other comments on initial use? - seemed easy to use.
6. Did your child like the shampoo? Please say what they thought - didn't like the smell.

snorris Mon 02-Sep-13 11:26:15

Firstly about head lice:
1. Who in your family is being treated for head lice? Please include gender and age.
10 yo dts (girls) and dd5 aged 4, plus I've treated myself (42 yo f) as I've been itching but not found any lice.

This is the first time, the twins spent half term with their cousin and came back with lice. Several times I have thought we've got rid but they reappear.

For the last 12 weeks or so I have tried combing with conditioner and nitty gritty comb , Vosene defence spray and I tried a herbal shampoo which was very effective but the dc's won't let me use it again as it stinks of coal tar grin.

Very easy. I had less complaints from them than using the nitty gritty comb. On myself I noticed it tugged the hair less. I did do a final comb through with the nitty gritty comb as a precaution after reading some of the other comments.

a. Effective at removing most head lice and eggs.
I only found one live louse on each of the twins before application and none on myself or dd5. There were none at all after washing the shampoo out but the comb provided showed up 1 egg on dt1 and the nitty gritty found 1 egg one dd5 but she has very fine hair.

b. Ease of use.
Very easy. I actually found it much less hassle than the usual routine. I had no drips from the bottle and could get the treatment right down to the roots as needed. On myself I found it easier to put it into my hand to massage it in.

c. Convenience.
Much more convenient than washing, conditioning, combing, rinsing.

d. Greasiness of treatment.
I didn't think it was too bad. It certainly washed off my hands easily and the girls don't look greasy at all - apart from one small patch on dt2 where I don't think she rinsed it out properly.

e. Ease of washing out treatment.
Very easy. The twins did their own in the shower and said it was fine. It rinsed out of dd5's hair easily in the bath which was good as she will only tolerate it for so long. On my hair it felt no different to any other shampoo.

It's ok. It does remind me of a pot-pourri drawer freshener I had as I child blush. A sort of dried lavender/rose scent. The children liked though which is a bonus and there is no strong lingering after smell.

When it came to rinsing dd5 and my hair I did wonder if I had used enough as there didn't seem to be much lather. I also have over half a bottle left but I have very short hair and dd5 has very fine hair so maybe I just didn't need as much. The dts have average thickness, shoulder length hair.

6. Did your child like the shampoo? Please say what they thought.
They all said they liked the shampoo and prefer the idea of just 2 treatments instead of combing every couple of days. I will be keeping a beady eye out for any critters though, based on other comments posted here, especially as school goes back tomorrow and dd5 starts next week.

redgate Mon 02-Sep-13 13:41:33

Ours hasn't arrived yet sad and couldn't leave it any longer, so have used some stuff we got from the pharmacy. We will use the stuff if (when!) we need to next time and I will add feedback then, hope that's ok

Fillybuster Mon 02-Sep-13 15:10:04

1. Who in your family is being treated for head lice? Please include gender and age

DD1 (5), DD2 (3), DS (8) and me (39). This was a pre-emptive strike as we came home from a camping trip with friends and they let us know that all of their children had returned with nits. DD1 had been scratching quite a bit, but i didn't find any evidence when I checked her head...

Yes for the 2 girls; DS had one or two nits one time as a toddler.

Full Marks when we bought something 6 years ago. I wet comb all children and myself on a regular basis, and use a nitty gritty on everyone whenever there is an outbreak at school.

Too easy. I didn't feel like it really went through the hair. The girls have very thick, wavy hair so they preferred it to the nitty gritty, but I wouldn't say it filled me with confidence.

Not convinced by the comb.

b. Ease of use
The application and process was very easy

c. Convenience
Great

Wasn't too keen, but guess it has to be a bit greasy to smother the nits!

Fine - took a bit of effort but even dd2 was ok with the additional length of time in the shower.

Thought it was fine - wish we hadn't needed it, but that isn't Lyclear's fault!

OK

Very easy to apply and rub in - much better than my last experience of trying to use a nit shampoo. Don't think much of the free comb, though - I wouldn't trust it to get all nits out, so not sure it's the best thing to include.

They thought it was ok, and less of a mess to use than they were expecting.
Thank you.

curlywurl Mon 02-Sep-13 16:55:45

Treated a 5 yr old first episode and has short hair.

Was ok to apply but a bit runny. Didn't get much out with the comb but not seen anything in hair since

Rishi79 Mon 02-Sep-13 19:02:42

Firstly about head lice:
My 7 Year old daughter.

Nope, She gets it now and then and is a common complaint in her class.

Wet combing. She hates combing though and complaints about pain so trying lyclear seem to be a better solution.

not as good as nitty gritty but better than the plastic comb. I usually buy the wilko one and it works well though.

lice did come out faint/dead. couldn't manage to get eggs but have seen them sticked the hair as dead. Might have to comb better i think
b. Ease of use
My daughter has a long hair and takes quite a good amount of shampoo. oil based made it easy to apply.
c. Convenience
washing my DD's hair was always a nightmare, felt it was tangled more after wash.
More Greasy though. Because it was over the weekend, I didnt really bother to shampoo twice and left it just making sure that it is washed thoroughly.
To avoid greasy hair, may have to wash twice.

Usually had done wet combing and conditioner application and then combing. Can not compare and seeing the treatment to get clear of the lice soon, there is no major complaint.

Nope. Gives me a medicine smell. (Ofcourse I agree it is kind of a medicinal treatment)

None except the once i mentioned before. wet combing every alternate days and dry combing everyday if possible. Had to wait for 7 days to see the reapplication necessity.

Nope - mainly because of smell and next because she knew i would wet comb to get rid of the lice. But, It would have been the same response for any treatment i would have taken.

Haven't received mine yet ???

KEAWYED Mon 02-Sep-13 21:17:26

Firstly about head lice:
1. Who in your family is being treated for head lice?

With this. DS2. 6. With longish fine hair

Me 34 with thick long hair (think wild woman of Borneo)

DS2 pretty much more than not for the past twelve months. His brothers seem ok on the whole

Full Marks solution, tescos own and wet combing

Was great on me. Best one for my hair. On sons fine hair the teeth needed to be closer

So far worked really well

b. Ease of use

Easy to use. Left a little longer.

c. Convenience

Hhhmm tricky. Head lice are never convinient. The little blighters

This was the problem I had with the Full marks. Just so greasy. Dripped down neck.

Easier on son. Took 3 shampoos and a tonne of conditioner to make my hair feel normal. Though saying that I tied it back at work as expected it to be greasy but it was rather bouncy

I'll let you know on the second application

It was neutral so all good

I have so much hair needed a lot of it. Need a warning will stain clothes very greasy

My son hates any form of shampoo so the fact he sat through it is a compliment

KeepTryin Mon 02-Sep-13 21:32:47

Firstly about head lice:
DD'S HAVE CLEARED UP SO JUST TREATING MYSELF FEMALE 34
FIRST TIME
4 DOSES OF HEDRIN

EASY BUT THUNK TEETH MAYBE TOO FAR APART. LIKED THE PLASTIC HANDLE THOUGH AS MY HAIR SNAGS IN THE METAL COMBS
a. Effective at removing most head lice and eggs BETTER
b. Ease of use BETTER
c. Convenience BETTER NOT HAVING TO LEAVE IT IN OVERNIGHT
d. Greasiness of treatment NOT TOO GREASY. DRIPED A BIT BUT I MAYBE USED TOO MUCH AND FOR ONLY TEN INS WAS NOT AN ISSUE FOR ME
e. Ease of washing out treatment. MUCH EASIER THAN WASHING OUT HEDRIN!
4. Did you like the fragrance or smell of Lyclear Treatment Shampoo? NO I DIDNT LIKE THE SMELL
5. Any other comments on initial use? MY HAIR WAS QUITE SOFT AFTER! :-)
N/A THIS TIME

Dededum Mon 02-Sep-13 21:39:15

Firstly about head lice:
ME - 44
DS - 10
2. Is this the first time they've had head lice? If no, how many times have they had head lice? NO, SEEMS TO BE A CONSTANT COMPLAINT
NITTY GRIT COMB & WET COMBING, HEDERIN, FULL MARKS
1. How easy did you find using the fine toothed comb? PREFER THE NITTY GRIT COMB
WE WILL SEE, ERADICATING THEM IS DIFFICULT BECAUSE THEY FIND IT TOUGH TO SIT STILL. SOME LICE, NOT SURE ABOUT EGGS
b. Ease of use
WENT ON FINE
c. Convenience
NO PROBLEM
NOT AS BAD AS FULL MARKS,
TOOK A COUPLE OF WASHES
NO
4. Did you like the fragrance or smell of Lyclear Treatment Shampoo? OK
DON'T LIKE ANY SHAMPOO PARTICULARLY BUT SAID IT WAS OK

Almostfree Mon 02-Sep-13 21:44:41

Firstly about head lice:
1. Treated me (40+) and dd (9)
2. Not first time we've had lice, have had several times in the past
3. In past usually wet comb. Tried electric comb before, and Hedrin.

1. Comb easy to use, was standard nit comb.
a. Effective at removing most head lice and eggs - About the same
b. Ease of use - Better
c. Convenience - Better
d. Greasiness of treatment - Worse
e. Ease of washing out treatment - Better
3. The shampoo was very greasy and also I found it hard to tell if my hair was well covered.
4. Did you like the fragrance or smell of Lyclear Treatment Shampoo? - Yes, didn't really smell
5. Any other comments on initial use? Washed out well and didn't leave hair greasy afterwards
6. Did your child like the shampoo? Please say what they thought. They thought it was ok.

Jackie221084 Mon 02-Sep-13 21:56:50

Dd age 6
Ds age 9
Me...female 28
Dh age 29

My dd and ds have had headlice before. Probably about three time
I have never, ever had them. My dh had them when he was a child.
Normally use hedrin once

Very easy. Better than plastic ones
a. Effective at removing most head lice and eggs BETTER
b. Ease of use BETTER
c. Convenience BETTER
d. Greasiness of treatment BETTER
e. Ease of washing out treatment BETTER
N/A
Very much so :-)
I love that its not greasy
dd thought it was much easier to wash out than our usual product
Ds didnt really have an opinion :-) he thought it was good that it didnt take long so he could get back on his xbox quicker ;-)

Ireallymustbemad Tue 03-Sep-13 11:49:13

Firstly about head lice:
DS 9
Me 40

No, he has had them on and off for several months now. He keeps being re-infected at school.
I have had them twice, both times caught from school via the kids.

Full marks solution, and very regular wet combing with nitty gritty comb

Fine, but I wasn't convinced it would get as much out as the nitty gritty comb

Same

b. Ease of use
Better than fullmarks solution as it washed out well. Fullmarks left hair very greasy.

c. Convenience
Good

Better than fullmarks solution but greasier than comb and conditioner

Better than fullmarks solution

Yes, I thought it smelt nice.

Whilst most of the lice came our dead, a few were definitely alive and well. After leaving it on an extra five minutes, I was hoping all would be killed. I am wondering if I've missed any potential egg laying lice.

He didn't think anything different about it to other treatments, poor child is very used to us treating him at the moment!

Pantone363 Tue 03-Sep-13 11:55:26

Firstly about head lice:

Female 30
Female 8
Female 3

Twice

Wet combing with a nitty gritty
Hedrin

Good. Because you have to use it on wet hair without conditioner I found the wider teeth to be helpful, if I had tried to do that with a nitty gritty it would've ripped most of our hair out. It still caught most of the lice.

a. Effective at removing most head lice and eggs. Better
b. Ease of use. Better
c. Convenience. Better
d. Greasiness of treatment. About the same
e. Ease of washing out treatment.1 About the same
4. Did you like the fragrance or smell of Lyclear Treatment Shampoo? Worse
5. Any other comments on initial use? I liked not having to leave it on overnight
They didn't like the smell, but DD8 was pleased she didn't have to leave it on overnight.

Tortoise Tue 03-Sep-13 13:08:15

Firstly about head lice:

Treating my DDs age 9 and 10 and myself, female, age 35

Not the first time and they have had them multiple times over the last year or so.

Wet combing and a hair treatment but it was ages ago and i can't remember which one it was. (It didn't work!)

It was easy to use but not as effective as the nitty gritty comb that i normally use. The teeth were not close enough together.

a. Effective at removing most head lice and eggs better
b. Ease of use better
c. Convenience same
d. Greasiness of treatment same
e. Ease of washing out treatment better

Yes it was a pleasant fragrance compared to the previously tried one but not really any better than wet combing with conditioner.

We used a lot more than expected and there is no way we have enough left to properly treat 3 of us in 7 days. No where near enough for the claimed 8 applications.
I re-combed with nitty gritty a few days later and found no live lice, thankfully! DD1 had 2 dead ones that the other comb missed and some eggs. DD2 just had eggs.

We didn't mind the shampoo but wonder if a foam would be easier because they didn't like it running off the hair down their necks or faces.

drivinmecrazy Tue 03-Sep-13 13:23:57

1) DD 8yo me 42yo
2) DD recurrent infestations over last 12 months. Me, twice
3) Hedrin, Full Marks, Tea Tree oil & Nitty Gritty comb

1) Comb was fine, but reverted to nitty gritty comb because its MUCH more effective on eggs and smaller lice
2a) seemed to kill all lice
2b) same as other chemical solutions
2c) very convenient. nozzle meant could easily cover areas around ears and hairline
2d) Same as others for oiliness
2e) Really easy to foam up and wash out, by far the easiest we have used
3) N/A
4) Smelt pleasant enough
5) Really did like that it really foamed up well
6) DD liked that we didnt have to wash her hair numerous times, and her hair wasnt greasy at all when we finished

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 03-Sep-13 14:15:40

hi - a couple of you have queried about the comb - just to clarify the Lyclear anti-lice comb has metal prongs and a plastic case surrounding.

Tortoise Tue 03-Sep-13 17:53:52

AnnMumsnet I'm worried about re applying in 7 days because we have about a 1/4 of the bottle left so not enough to re treat 3 of us.

neffi Tue 03-Sep-13 21:21:09

8 year old girl
She's had lice almost permanently since starting school
hedrin, nitty gritty, nitty gritty comb and conditioner
not great, prefer my nitty gritty comb
seemed to work, head appeared clear after combing
b. Ease of use
bit greasy and messy, not really a shampoo
c. Convenience
quickness of use is very convenient
i found it very greasy
washed out with one application of shampoo so a big improvement on other treatments
smell a bit like hair dye, not unpleasant
no
she wasn't keen on the smell but liked the quickness and definitely liked that it hasn't left her hair greasy after use

willowisp Tue 03-Sep-13 21:49:18

So for your first feedback post please share:

Firstly about head lice:

A) Dd1- 10, Dd2 - 7, Me - 44

A) Dd1 x 3, Dd2 x > 5 times, Me x 2

A) Hedrin x 2, then wet combing as someone in Dd2's class kept spreading it.

1. How easy did you find using the fine toothed comb? Very easy

a. Effective at removing most head lice and eggs - BETTER due to nit comb - HOWEVER both DD's had 1 live lice each after leaving treatment for specified time.
b. Ease of use - BETTER
c. Convenience - BETTER
d. Greasiness of treatment - BETTER
e. Ease of washing out treatment - BETTER - no problems washing out & hair NOT grease afterwards.
4. Did you like the fragrance or smell of Lyclear Treatment Shampoo? YES - Smelt like Turkish delight / rose / geranium.
5. Any other comments on initial use? - I couldn't quite get my head around not washing it out with shampoo.
6. Did your child like the shampoo? Please say what they thought - Neither bothered by product. Wet combed both this evening & dd1 had a lice, dd2 (who was riddled) had none. No eggs or lice for me smile

Thanks for letting me try.

willowisp Tue 03-Sep-13 21:51:18

Tortoise I think you used too much ? We 3 have long thick hair & didn't have any problems with it running down our neck or faces.

emily80 Tue 03-Sep-13 21:52:40

1. Who in your family is being treated for head lice? Please include gender and age: DS 5 and myself 33

2. Is this the first time they've had head lice? If no, how many times have they had head lice? First time

3. What treatments have you tried in the past? None

1. How easy did you find using the fine toothed comb? I didn't really have much success with it, although it was metal and strong, not flimsy as some people have commented. I think the teeth were a bit far apart.

2. How did Lyclear Treatment Shampoo compare to other treatments you've used in the past? N/A, but I found it quite easy to use and wash out afterwards. The solution itself was very thin which made it harder to use as it would run through/off my hand as I poured it out.

3. Please provide more details if you felt Lyclear Treatment Shampoo was worse than previous treatments for any of the above:N/A

4. Did you like the fragrance or smell of Lyclear Treatment Shampoo? The smell was fine, although strong, I could still smell it in the bathroom the following day

5. Any other comments on initial use? none

6. Did your child like the shampoo? Please say what they thought: he found it fine, just like washing his hair really.

ShelleyGal Tue 03-Sep-13 22:25:00

Firstly about head lice:
1. Who in your family is being treated for head lice? Please include gender and age - Myself, Female, 35.. Daughter, Female, 10.. Daughter, Female, 2

2. Is this the first time they've had head lice? If no, how many times have they had head lice? - No we have all had it a good few times!

3. What treatments have you tried in the past? - Lyclear, Hedrin, Full Marks, Wet combing, Vinegar.

1. How easy did you find using the fine toothed comb? - Not a very good comb so I used the nitty gritty one we already had.

a. Effective at removing most head lice and eggs - The first treatment did not work, I was getting lots of live lice out of DDs hair, the second treatment they seemed to all be dead.

b. Ease of use - Easy to use, very greasy though and got everywhere!

c. Convenience - More convenient than the treatments that need to be left on for hours.

d. Greasiness of treatment - Very Greasy, Dripped from the hair all over the floor.

e. Ease of washing out treatment - Relatively easy to wash out.

3. Please provide more details if you felt Lyclear Treatment Shampoo was worse than previous treatments for any of the above: - I have yet to find a treatment that is 100% effective and this treatment was no more effective than the others.

4. Did you like the fragrance or smell of Lyclear Treatment Shampoo? - No it smells like dead roses.

5. Any other comments on initial use? - No

6. Did your child like the shampoo? Please say what they thought - She hated the smell and the greasiness, she thought it would be like washing her hair (as shown in the ads) but it's not.

Tortoise Tue 03-Sep-13 22:29:46

willowisp Possibly did use too much. Wanted to make sure the hair was coated well. There wasn't loads dripping down, just a little bit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now