This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you'd like test a product on Mumsnet please mail insight@mumsnet.com.

MNers needed to try a Freesat+ box (RRP £226) and share their thoughts on site NOW CLOSED

(205 Posts)
AngelieMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 29-Aug-13 11:17:19

We've been asked by the team at Freesat to find 15 UK Mumsnetters to try out a Freesat+ box with <free time> and to share their feedback on Mumsnet.

We're looking for folks who are keen to switch from their current TV provider or who want to add this box to another TV in their home. Testers should be in the UK and have at least one child at home.

Here's what they have to say: "Hello. We're freesat. We believe you shouldn't have to pay a monthly subscription to watch and listen to 180 channels of the best comedy, drama, sport, lifestyle, music and news. We offer free HD services from ITV, the BBC and Channel 4; freesat+ to record pause and rewind, BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, 4oD and Demand; and all subscription free."

Freesat launched <freetime> last Autumn which includes a Roll Back TV Guide that allows you to watch programmes you've missed from the previous seven days across 21 channels, a new showcase section providing top TV picks chosen daily by Freesat's reviewers, on-demand services and enhanced recordings.

Freesat is a subscription free service and Freesat+ boxes are available to buy from a range of retailers - RRP from £226.

If you're selected to take part you will be sent a Humax 500GB Freesat+ with <freetime> box worth £226.You will then need to try it and add feedback at least twice to a thread on Mumsnet. You'll be asked to add your first impressions and then to add extra feedback a week or two later to share what you've been watching, recording, pausing and how you and your family are finding Freesat.

There are some technical requirements for this product test:

- You will need a satellite dish to install Freesat. If you already have a satellite dish you'll be asked to install the Freesat box at home. If you do not, a satellite dish will be fitted for you, but you must ensure that you have access and permission (if required)
- You will also need access to the internet to access <freetime>. The minimum speed required is 2mbps, you can test your speed here

If you'd like to take part please add your details here

So long as you add feedback as required you will be able to keep the box after testing is over.

Thanks and good luck,

MNHQ

added my details, like a lot of others i am with sky but recently left their broadband and home phone due to the costs rising. tv is the only thing left and that will be the next thing to go due to the cost!

JessePinkmansBitch Thu 29-Aug-13 18:23:46

Oh I would love this my old Freesat box has just broken on me, currently using a 10 year old Sky box which is a right PITA.

Caoilainn Thu 29-Aug-13 18:31:09

Done. Would be interesting as virgin media is one of my biggest outgoings after mortgage etc. am definitely looking to change when my contract in up in October.

Carriepreston Thu 29-Aug-13 19:03:39

MNHQ - just wondering if we would need a Satellite Dish installing would this be free or would we have to pay ?

MrsWelly Thu 29-Aug-13 19:12:20

Done! Our standalone PVR box is on its last legs and very rarely does as it is told...

Janek Thu 29-Aug-13 19:42:30

Done, i'd love this!

SirBoobAlot Thu 29-Aug-13 20:45:11

Yes please. My freeview box has given up so no TV here for a while...

Never mind have answered my own question on channel comaprison...

*Freesat channels*:

www.freesat.co.uk/files/6313/7508/4123/freesat_RNIB_Guide2_26.07.13.pdf

*Freeview channels*:

www.freeview.co.uk/whats-on/channels

It does look better, am tempted! Also need to know if I would have to pay for dish installation though.

AngelieMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 30-Aug-13 10:08:23

Hi everyone - thanks to those who have applied so far! Carriepreston, as long as testers have any necessary permissions, they do not have to pay for satellite dish installation smile

DoItTooJulia Fri 30-Aug-13 10:18:14

Woo hoo, what a fantastic product test. I've applied and really hope I'm selected! Fingers crossed. (And toes)

lorka Fri 30-Aug-13 10:25:13

This sounds great - would love to give this a try. smile

We ditched sky when we bought ur huse but 4 months later we still haven't arrange freeview/freesat and I have run out of stuff to watch on netflix! I don't have a satellite dish though, I hope that doesn't cause a problem sad

don't click on the softward downloads - it all costs money and invades system. just deinstalling it all now

Tattva Fri 30-Aug-13 15:13:52

Done.

Would love to try this. We need to reduce costs somehow.

We've had sky and virgin in the past and really miss recording/pausing shows.
Would love to be picked!!! Please please please I never win anything!

Faverolles Fri 30-Aug-13 15:38:20

I've added my name. Our crap sagem freesat box broke last week after becoming more and more unreliable.
I would love to be picked as we are skint and can't afford anything as good (if the reviews are anything to go by) as a Humax box.

tryingabitharder Fri 30-Aug-13 16:11:34

Done. Have been after a humax freesat since cancelling sky due to the massive cost and can never convince dh to part with the cash. Would make everyone's leisure time lots nicer in this house smile

Glitterfairys Fri 30-Aug-13 16:40:52

Sounds ideal for my family , would love to be chosen .

Milchardo Fri 30-Aug-13 16:48:40

Thank you. smile Have applied.

Jinsei Fri 30-Aug-13 17:03:40

Yes please!!!!

Done. I would love this product test as I could stop nagging at DH about the cost of Sky grin

Crabbypink Fri 30-Aug-13 17:54:14

Uh, OK. Could use one. Put my name down?

Jux Fri 30-Aug-13 18:24:54

Done.

We have a dish which was for my mum's Sky (she lived at the top of our house). As far as I know, it isn't possible to connect us to that dish too, though. We might need another one.

I hate Sky. If we could just say "I want these 7 channels, how much?" then I'd think better of them, but to get those channels we would have to buy 3 different packages with millions of channels we really don't want.

TBH, the most attractive aspect of this is the + bit, where you can watch things up to a week later, and record things etc.

SoonToBeSix Fri 30-Aug-13 19:35:25

Done this would be perfect sky is costing too much hmm

ouryve Fri 30-Aug-13 19:46:50

Greedy - so long as you have a decent signal from a sky dish, and access to the cabling that would allow you to have sky plus, it should work fine, AFAIK. Everything that is free to view comes from the same satellites - freesat, sky etc just provide the episode guides so you can access the channels easily.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now