This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you'd like test a product on Mumsnet please mail insight@mumsnet.com.

What do you think of Amazon Family? Testers and non-testers can post feedback here - Amazon gift certificates up for grabs! NOW CLOSED

(103 Posts)
MichelleMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 14-Aug-13 11:38:50

This is the feedback thread for the 20 Mumsnetters who were selected to test the Amazon Family programme.

If you're not a tester but have tried the Amazon Family programme, then we'd still love to hear from you. Everyone who shares their thoughts will be entered into a prize draw to win a £100 Amazon gift certificate.

We'd like you to answer the following questions, but please feel free to add any other thoughts you have.

Q1. Have you ever shopped on Amazon.co.uk for baby or child-related products before this trial? If so, what items did you tend to buy?
Q 2. What is your overall opinion of Amazon Family? Is there anything in particular you like or dislike about it? This could be about the service itself or the products on offer.
Q3. Did you use the nappy subscription on offer? If so, what did you think of it?
Q 4. Did you use any of the exclusive offers? If so, which ones did you find most useful? If you didn't use any of the offers, why not?
Q 5. If it came up in conversation, would you recommend signing up to Amazon Family to a friend or family member? If so, why? If not, why not?

All testers who provide us with their feedback will be entered into a prize draw to win a £150 Amazon gift certificate.

Many thanks,

MNHQ

Poppysnoss Wed 11-Sep-13 09:56:31

Non-tester here, however I am a member of Amazon Family.

Q1. Have you ever shopped on Amazon.co.uk for baby or child-related products before this trial? If so, what items did you tend to buy?

Yes, I have bought many baby items from Amazon, from stairgates to bottles to bouncy chairs.

Q 2. What is your overall opinion of Amazon Family? Is there anything in particular you like or dislike about it? This could be about the service itself or the products on offer.

I think Amazon family is a good thing, however it's of best use when your baby is little. I joined after I had my 3rd baby, but found the benefits of less help because I already had a lot of baby equipment.

Q3. Did you use the nappy subscription on offer? If so, what did you think of it?

Yes, I have recently signed up to the nappy offer. I always use baby dry, because they are the best for my baby. The offer makes them cheaper than own-brand varieties and the quantity means I don't have to buy nappies so often.

Q 4. Did you use any of the exclusive offers? If so, which ones did you find most useful? If you didn't use any of the offers, why not?

I used one of the exclusive offers a the beginning. It was for the Tommee Tippee video monitor. It had 33% off, which when it was £199 in the first place was a good saving.

Q 5. If it came up in conversation, would you recommend signing up to Amazon Family to a friend or family member? If so, why? If not, why not?

I would recommend it especially for new mums. Not so sure for mums of older babies or children because the offers are less relevant and I would question the value for money. However, if you buy a lot from Amazon, the prime membership is great.

Belo Fri 13-Sep-13 10:09:41

Non Tester - Ex member

I've bought toys, but not baby items such as nappies / wipes

I was a member, but ended up cancelling my membership as I was let down a couple of times. But, it was great for getting presents for kids birthday parties

No, my kids are past the nappy stage (thank god!)

I looked at them at the beginning of my membership, but then stopped looking as none of them were relevant to me.

I think it is becoming better as you now get the lovefilm membership with it and the kindle lending library. Still, it seems like a lot to pay just for fast postage.

ouryve Mon 16-Sep-13 16:46:35

Non tester

DS2 has ASD and I tend to shop there for extra pull ups and wipes for him.

Since my boys are 7 and 9, not much of the stuff on offer is relevant to us, but i find the discounts useful for the nappies etc.

Yes. I've been using it since it was first available.

I made use of the £10 off £50 when I needed to do a big stock up a few months ago. The others aren't so worthwhile or are irrelevant to us.

Yes. I often recommend it to people in a similar situation to us, with older children in nappies, as pyjama pants and big nappies are expensive and can be hard to find in supermarkets.

AGnu Tue 17-Sep-13 14:09:25

Q1. Have you ever shopped on Amazon.co.uk for baby or child-related products before this trial?If so, what items did you tend to buy?
Toys & books mostly.

To be honest, I didn't see the point in it. It didn't save me that much money & the special offers weren't of any interest to me.

Yes, I won't be doing it again though. It's much more convenient to just grab nappies in the supermarket rather than trying to work out exactly how many nappies you'll need for X length of time. I took the opportunity to try out some eco-friendly nappies. They were useless overnight. I went to change DS1's nappy one morning & most of it fell off just as I undressed him leaving a small band around his waist & the rest of the very soggy nappy dangling behind him! It also soaked through his PJs a few times. We're using them up during the day & using pampers at night.

No, we didn't need/want any of them.

Probably not. Subscriptions for essentials aren't useful unless you can bump it & get it earlier if you're running out & I can't see any advantages to it.

BadlyWrittenPoem Wed 18-Sep-13 11:45:39

Yes. Usually it is one off items such as a bed guard, breast pump, that kind of thing. Or books - loads of children's books, it's great when you want a specific obscure book and I find the recommendations of related books really useful.
The Amazon Prime aspect was good and I got a free lamaze toy but aside from that there was nothing worth it for me as there weren't any big items I needed and I am not a big consumer really.
No I didn't.
The only offer I used was the free offer as the offers were all things I didn't want/need.
I would recommend signing up for the free trial and seeing whether you actually use the offers as if you do it might be worth paying (or if you buy a lot of stuff I guess it might be too).

ButteryJam Wed 18-Sep-13 23:36:13

Yes, mainly books
I got a few good offers like for a breast pump and the £10 off voucher when you join is pretty good. But the best thing was Amazon Prime! Honestly, it was a life saver. I had a very difficult time after birth due to complications and breastfeeding being a nightmare, and having free amazon prime (albeit only 2 weeks) was such a life saver, as my DH couldn't pop out to shops and we don't have family near by, so it really was a life saver and the next day service was great and perfect!
No I didn't.
I didn't use it mainly because as a 1st time I didn't know how many I would need per month (I didn't have a clue) so it was too daunting to subscribe when I had no idea how much it was I'd need.
I would definitely recommend the free trial, in fact I already have. It is very very hand for a new mum, and I wish I had started my trial later so that I would have had it for a few more months post birth, as that's when you really need it. As for paying £50 for the subscription, I'm not sure. I think each person could decide after the trial. I am certainly tempted to pay for amazon prime/family. It's the next day delivery that tempts me the most!

rlouisa Fri 20-Sep-13 16:38:15

non tester

i had signed up before because i shop alot with them but when i realused there was a fee, i quickly cancelled. it may be worth the fee but that upfront payment of £49 was too steep for me. now instead i shop around and if amazon is the cheapest i go wit it.

gingercat12 Fri 20-Sep-13 20:28:43

Non-tester

Q1. I mainly buy children's toys and books there. (Loads of books.)

Q 2. I was on the verge of signing up several times, but we do not need nappies, so I could not see the attraction.

Q3. No, we do not need nappies now.

Q 4. There are always so many offers on Amazon, that I am not sure you miss out that much. My favourite / the bane of my life is the Kindle daily deal.

Q 5. For people with small children in nappies, yes. Otherwise I am not so sure.

malachite Fri 20-Sep-13 20:56:35

Yes quite a lot especially around xmas and birthday. Books and toys mostly.

It doesn't especially appeal to me. I'm not in a desperate rush to get my deliveries so amazon prime doesn't appeal and I don't buy many nappies as we use cloth mostly so I don't think it would save me enough money to justify the cost.

I can see that it might appeal to regular nappy buyers but I don't know if the cost saving would add up to more than the subscription fee.

Probably not, I just can't see it being worth the fee, sorry.

bealos Sat 21-Sep-13 09:58:01

Nontester...

I was already an Amazon Prime member and signed up to Amazon Family when pregnant in 2012.

I've bought a Medela Swing breast pump from an offer I was emailed as an Amazon Family member. Was brilliant value and definitely made me purchase from Amazon rather than eBay.

I also had a discount off a Close Baby carrier which was an unexpected surprise!

We use cloth nappies, but I did buy some Naty nappies for when my child was tiny, which were cheaper than in the shops and delivered to my door - great as I didn't have a car then and nappies are bulky!

The one thing I really dislike about Amazon is the ridiculous amount of packaging. Because they use cardboard, it means you can have an item wrapped up I loads of extra packaging, rather than simply slipped into an (padded or otherwise) envelope. Yes, cardboard is recyclable, but there's so much of it! It really makes me think twice abut ordering from Amazon.

newfashionedmum Sun 22-Sep-13 17:26:28

Q1.
Yes - mainly buy books, toys
Q 2.
an interesting idea..wouldn't like to be bombarded with marketing or to pay for the service
Q3. No - don't use nappies
Q 4. No
Q 5. Not used it as yet - might mention it but not recommend

Livvylongpants Mon 23-Sep-13 08:31:38

Mnhq when do we find out who won the vouchers?

MichelleMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 23-Sep-13 09:36:08

Livvylongpants we will keep the thread open for the full 3 months (until 14th November) after which we'll do the prize draw.

georgeannaskala Mon 23-Sep-13 10:02:27

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

georgeannaskala Mon 23-Sep-13 10:02:34

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Mouseface Wed 25-Sep-13 21:55:26

- I've bought toys and books for my son, and other nursery items, I am a part of the Amazon family but not part of the trial smile

- I do find that it's all about smaller children even though they know I have a child with SN (I guess it's generic) and a teen..... maybe I missed that it was for smaller children?

- Nope, we get free nappies because of DS's condition.

- I haven't to date because I've not found any relevant to us as a family. But I am going to stay with it smile

- Yes, it's free isn't it? <wracks brain to remember if it is or not> I have lots of friends who have just had babies [broody emoticon required as her shrivelled ovaries tingle] so yes, I would recommend it anyway, free or not. Plus, I've never had a problem with Amazon, their customer service team has always been fantastic when I've had to return things or had delivery issues.

BeCool Thu 26-Sep-13 11:43:38

I trailed Family last year and I was distinctly underwhelmed.
I loved the Prime delivery aspect and used that lots in the run up to Xmas which included a few birthdays (thanks Amazon). I also brought some DryNights which with free delivery was a good buy.

But I didn't feel that it was a service I would pay for.

MrsAJB Mon 30-Sep-13 12:18:57

None tester!

Yes, many different products, to name a few, car/booster seats, children's fancy dress clothes, computer consoles & books.

I love using amazon, I always check amazon before making any online purchase.... I'm always surprised by the huge variety of items you can buy from there. I'm a little wary when it comes to buying from sellers... I've never had a bad experience but I worry that products won't be received and how trustworthy the independent sellers are since the information about these people is limited

No.... but i wish I'd known about it!!!!!!!!!!!

Q 5. If it came up in conversation, would you recommend signing up to Amazon Family to a friend or family member? If so, why? If not, why

Yes, I'd happily recommend

AndHarry Thu 03-Oct-13 12:35:23

Non-tester.

I used to have a subscription for baby wipes. I also buy a lot of baby equipment, toys and books on Amazon.

I think it's great, although I would not pay £49 a year for it. I tend to use the free delivery option for Amazon items and rarely need to have items quicker than that. The offers did seem good but I already have most of the baby equipment I need.

No, I use cloth nappies.

There's a 20% off offer running at the moment and I am just browsing through the carseats as both our children are due to move up a stage soon.

I'd recommend the free trial and seeing if it worked out cost-effective for them.

tattiehowker Sat 05-Oct-13 16:58:40

I am not a tester.

Yes, I have bought some baby things from Amazon, mainly toys and accessories.

It is a good idea for new parents. DD is a toddler now so not so much need. Would consider rejoining after having another baby, though wouldn't buy so much next time round!

I haven't done but readint this thread makes me think I should look into it!

I can't remember.

yes, especially for first time parents as when baby is new you seem to be buying constantly. I suspect you become more circumspect with later babies but may be proved wrong!

IncaAztec Tue 08-Oct-13 10:39:31

Non-tester but I do use the nappy subscribe and save on amazon family. Nappies really but will look at other items.

Seems good for the discounts on nappies but it's hard to tell the difference between it and Amazon Prime. We just didn't understand the FAQ's or have time to read them!

Yes, really good. I live rurally and have 2 in nappies. I hate carting them home from the shops so I use Subscribe and Save.

Not yet, might do though.

Maybe but not sure about it yet, like I say, Family vs Prime??

Not a tester, but would love a voucher. grin I am a member of Amazon Prime and Family.

No need to shop for baby and child things before - wasn't buying any baby stuff until a couple of months ago. I have been buying several practical things, like a breast pump, feeding cups, sterilizer.

It would be nice if there were more discounts specifically for Amazon Family members. Otherwise, what is the point? I used an Amazon Family specific discount to order some Avent items that would have cost much more on the high street.

Nope, planning to use cloth nappies. If I change my mind, I might consider the nappy subscription, but only if it worked out to be cheaper/more convenient than driving to my local Aldi.

The Amazon Family Thank You 20% offer. See answer to Q2. That was nice because it included money off the sale price. Otherwise, a lot of the "offers" just look like Amazon is advertising what is on sale. As in, anyone could get that price if they were looking for the item, not just Prime/Family subscribers.

I would recommend Prime - that has paid for itself by now. I would probably only recommend Family if a friend/family member was using disposable nappies and was having a hard time leaving the house to get more.

Gentleness Mon 14-Oct-13 14:55:27

I buy toys and baby wipes. I've also bought useful accessories - rain covers and pram hooks etc.
The offers were great at first. They aren't so good these days. It's not that good at drawing you in and is frustrating trying to work out if you are in the Baby section whether family offers apply to the product you are looking at.
I use it for babywipes. It can be great, but out of the 4 deliveries I've had, one was at a high enough price to cancel out the savings I'd made on the other ones, and I didn't notice in time to cancel that delivery.
We got the nappy bin and used some % off codes.
Q 5. If it came up in conversation, would you recommend signing up to Amazon Family to a friend or family member? If so, why? If not, why not? I'd recommend they checked it out and say it is probably worth it if they already had Prime. Otherwise, do the maths to check.

Littlemissgiggles87 Wed 23-Oct-13 14:54:58

Q1. I have shopped for basic items such as toys I brought 'Sophie giraffe' and a child monitor off Amazon family before I new about it.
Q 2. The three months free trail is great it gives you chance to decide if this is the right option. The service is brilliant, and when I have brought nappies I the sight I have got a good offer with quick delivery.
Q3. Yes I found it very useful, I dot have to rush out to the shops and end up spending more than I would normally on nappies because I am in a rush.
Q 4. No I haven't found anything that we need yet that is on offer.
Q 5. Yes especially because you can effectively trail it or three months.

YesterdayI Wed 30-Oct-13 17:24:28

Non tester

Q1 - I buy nearly everything on Amazon. confused. (but Not nappies and baby stuff because my kids are too old) Amazon is perfect for toys, school stuff, gaming stuff and hard to find items such as candy corn
Q2 - I am not keen as it is subscription based and I often use third party sellers
Q3 - N/A
Q4 - N/A
Q5 - I wouldn't recommend it particularly. I like the flexibility of being able to take advantage of supermarket deals. I don't want to have to subscribe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now