This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you'd like test a product on Mumsnet please mail insight@mumsnet.com.

What do you think of Amazon Family? Testers and non-testers can post feedback here - Amazon gift certificates up for grabs! NOW CLOSED

(103 Posts)
MichelleMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 14-Aug-13 11:38:50

This is the feedback thread for the 20 Mumsnetters who were selected to test the Amazon Family programme.

If you're not a tester but have tried the Amazon Family programme, then we'd still love to hear from you. Everyone who shares their thoughts will be entered into a prize draw to win a £100 Amazon gift certificate.

We'd like you to answer the following questions, but please feel free to add any other thoughts you have.

Q1. Have you ever shopped on Amazon.co.uk for baby or child-related products before this trial? If so, what items did you tend to buy?
Q 2. What is your overall opinion of Amazon Family? Is there anything in particular you like or dislike about it? This could be about the service itself or the products on offer.
Q3. Did you use the nappy subscription on offer? If so, what did you think of it?
Q 4. Did you use any of the exclusive offers? If so, which ones did you find most useful? If you didn't use any of the offers, why not?
Q 5. If it came up in conversation, would you recommend signing up to Amazon Family to a friend or family member? If so, why? If not, why not?

All testers who provide us with their feedback will be entered into a prize draw to win a £150 Amazon gift certificate.

Many thanks,

MNHQ

LentilAsAnything Fri 23-Aug-13 17:51:13

Q1. Have you ever shopped on Amazon.co.uk for baby or child-related products before this trial? If so, what items did you tend to buy?
Yes, loads. Reusable nappies, toys, books.

Q 2. What is your overall opinion of Amazon Family? Is there anything in particular you like or dislike about it? This could be about the service itself or the products on offer.
It's great. Really good prices.
Q3. Did you use the nappy subscription on offer? If so, what did you think of it?
No, we used reusables.

Q 4. Did you use any of the exclusive offers? If so, which ones did you find most useful? If you didn't use any of the offers, why not?
N/a

Q 5. If it came up in conversation, would you recommend signing up to Amazon Family to a friend or family member? If so, why? If not, why not?
Not sure, have to work out if it's financially worth it.

Steffnexis9 Fri 23-Aug-13 19:32:50

Non tester...

1. I have been using amazon for three years to by toys for my daughter... Never bought nappies etc as i used reusables

2. The initial money off was great and i have also got discount on a new angel baby monitor for my new baby to be smile i keep an eye on the money off options and bought bubble bath and baby cream on an offer the other day.

3. I havent used he nappy sunscription as i am a reusable nappy user

4. I bought the angel baby monitor and also a baby swing on he offers. Also bought add on baby this but unsure if that is only flr family members.

5. I have suggested it to people, especially if they are already an amazon prime member as i thought the vouchers and money off were good.

cherrycherry41 Fri 23-Aug-13 21:27:35

Yes, have bought toys, sippy cups, muslins etc.

I like the discount for subscribe and save. I dont like the price of the yearly membership and there isnt much choice available.

Yes, think its a great idea as we will never run out of nappies!

Used the subscribe and save so nappies were really cheap compared to supermarket prices. Added 5 items to my subscribe and save so we could get further discount.

If like us we had 2 babies in nappies i would recommend it fr the saving but otherwise not.

rlouisa Fri 23-Aug-13 21:35:32

i was happy to sign up for amazon family till i saw the £49 charge...wasnt too keen then.

evelynj Sat 24-Aug-13 13:11:03

I'm a tester-thank you!

1. Yes, toys, bedding, highchair, bibs

2. It's ok but haven't found any wow offers that I've been tempted to buy, (though have bought bottles & travel cot etc)

3. No-prefer tesco/asda nappies

4. No. Haven't seen any good exclusive offers

5. Don't think so-I've found the faster delivery with prime the main bonus although with a newborn find it a bit frustrating that everything as to be signed for-not always easy getting to the door & postman can't just leave stuff on the doorstep as usual

snowymum12 Mon 26-Aug-13 08:05:11

I bought all of my bottles, sterilising stuff and my monitor through Amazon. It tended to be the cheapest and I knew they ship the items promptly.

I've been receiving the emails from Amazon family for a while and like the fact that they do offer decent discounts although the offers are less relevant once your baby is past the 'newborn' stage in my opinion.

I haven't used the nappy subscription service as it is only good value if you buy in bulk and use Pampers. I tend to buy whichever nappies are on offer and in smaller quantities as, until recently, my baby changed size regularly. It seems like a saving but, in reality, isn't for me.

I've not used any of the exclusive offers as they have never been relevant for me at the time, which is a shame.

I probably wouldn't recommend Amazon family unless I was expecting as I think the service is probably more suited to that section of the population.

DoubleMum Tue 27-Aug-13 10:54:52

It was very useful to get the money off the first order but haven't used any other offers.

neverwhere Tue 27-Aug-13 13:17:17

Yes.
Toys, books, travel cot

Not impressive.
Prime is useful but not sure about Family.
Could not use the discount offered as a lot of of baby items via third party sellers excluded.

did not use

Monthly deals are not that useful

No as not impressive.

MyMillsBaby Tue 27-Aug-13 16:04:22

Oh dear. Obviously I'd like to be as honest as possible and I've got some negative feedback. We used the voucher for a maternity pillow (rather than nappies). I was REALLY looking forward to receiving it as I'm finding sleep very uncomfortable.

We ordered it early August and have been quoted a delivery date of Oct 2nd! That's MONTHS away. I queried it with Amazon who said this was out of their hands and it's a 'supply' problem. Still shocked though as this was using Amazon Prime and I would have thought that as you pay for the privilege they might have been more helpful.

The customer service function was clunky and the response was pretty unhelpful and disappointing.

Sorry guys. thumbs down from me on this one which is sad as I usually have nothing but positive things to say about Amazon.

LoganMummy Tue 27-Aug-13 22:48:09

Tester

Q1. I shop on Amazon all the time for bits and bobs for my DC. Toys, puzzles, blankets, books, CDs. And usually buy 90% of my Christmas presents from Amazon.

Q2. I liked the free one day delivery with certain products but that was about it. I don't like paying for 'privileges'. With so much competition around I often find I can get price matches elsewhere. None of the products on offers really appealed to me.

Q3. I really wanted to use the nappy subscription but the price difference was negligible to where I usually buy nappies so it wasn't worthwhile as I would of had to wait in for delivery.

Q4. As mentioned above none of the offers took my fancy.

Q5. I have already mentioned to a few friends to have a look at it to see if it suits them.
Overall though I was a bit disappointed.

Bubbles85 Fri 30-Aug-13 18:56:45

Non-tester

I have bought toys.

I like the idea of discounts and as I am already a prime member I won't have to pay!

No, but I would like to start this soon as the discounts are really good.

No, didn't see any ones I wanted to take advantage of.

Yes, if you will spend a lot to make back the cost of joining, or if you are a prime member like me.

stephgr Sat 31-Aug-13 02:17:22

I'm not a tester although I have thought about joining Amazon programmes before but never actually signed up. I use Amazon a lot for all sorts of products but have found recently that items on Amazon are often more expensive than elsewhere. Rather than Amazon devoting resources to various schemes, I'd much rather they focussed on lower prices for everyone.

babybythesea Sun 01-Sep-13 08:28:43

Tester here.

Yes. Books and toys mainly, but also practical stuff like swimming goggles. I'd never bought nappies from them.

It's ok and as a free thing to trial it's great. But paying £49 is a lot to spend in order to qualify for discounts - you'd have to be very sure you'd spend enough to make that money back. I wouldn't pay for the delivery service. I like Amazon and will continue to use it but I'm more than happy to wait for parcels coming through the normal post. So the main reason for me to join would be to get the discounts, and it would have to be on products I'd be getting anyway rather than 'optional extras' as then would in fact be spending more money, not saving anything. And while the things like the packs of wipes are cheap, you've still paid out the £49 first so it's nowhere near as cheap as it looks.

Yes. It was fine - nappies arrived promptly. But I will still tend to get the nappies at the supermarket because I have to go shopping anyway, and this way I'm not waiting for a delivery of something when I want to go out! (We live in the middle of nowhere - staying well stocked on things like nappies is an important part of my weekly plan, and getting to a post office etc to pick up and sign for a missed delivery is a nightmare so the signing for things is not particularly welcome.)

No. Not tempted by the things on offer as they were 'added extras' rather than essential baby/child things. I don't have the money to justify spending on things like Steiff bears!

I don't think I'd commit one way or the other. I think I'd say that you can make great savings but it's expensive to sign up to and leave it to people to make their own decisions!

mummyofcutetwo Thu 05-Sep-13 21:54:41

Non-tester

I have bought lots of stuff for both baby and child. Books, toys, crocs, thermometer, etc etc etc.

Q2. What is your overall opinion of Amazon Family? Is there anything in particular you like or dislike about it? This could be about the service itself or the products on offer.
When I had a trial of amazon family last year I loved the free express delivery - that was the best thing about it. Lots of the things on offer could be found elsewhere for less, so I didn't tend to go for them.

No I didn't.

Q4. Did you use any of the exclusive offers? If so, which ones did you find most useful? If you didn't use any of the offers, why not?
No I didn't.

Q5. If it came up in conversation, would you recommend signing up to Amazon Family to a friend or family member? If so, why? If not, why not?
I wouldn't put anyone off from signing up to it. Personally I don't think I could justify the cost for the savings I'd make, but others might it beneficial for them.

AFishWithoutABicycle Thu 05-Sep-13 22:00:28

Im a Non-tester.

1. I shop at amazon all the time. Mainly for toys and stationary.
2. I Haven't used Amazon family
3. I don't buy nappies any more.
4. No
5. No don't see the benefit.

Theimpossiblegirl Thu 05-Sep-13 22:08:59

Non-tester
Q1. I've bought toys, children's books, children's movies, t shirts and games on Amazon before but not baby stuff.
Q 2. It looks good and I would probably have at least tried it if my children were younger.
Q3. I didn't but I would have considered it.
Q 4. I love a good offer so would probably use those relevant to me and my family.
Q 5. I would mention it existed.

Yes, baby board/black and white books

I'm still not entirely sure what Amazon Family is other than a prime subscription

I wanted to use it but the prices were not any better than the supermarket, plus I would have to wait in for the delivery.

No, the offers were for pretty pointless things. Maybe they would be better around christmas?

I did discuss the nappies offer/service with friends but we all felt that it would not suit us as its easier to just pick up nappies with our shopping/delivery, especially as no real saving would be made with amazon. Also, its hard to predict and therefor order in advance how many nappies you need. Very easy to end up with too many/few and an oversupply of too small nappies when they go up a size.

MikeLitoris Fri 06-Sep-13 11:33:23

yes, I've bought various toys before.

I think if i had known about this when I had a very young baby I would have loved it. as my youngest is not far off 3 and (hopefully) out of nappies soon i don't think i would get as much use of it.

yes, it seems good. like I said above i think its better for people with young babies who can use it when they need lots of nappies and wipes.

when setting this up it wouldn't let me pick my location. it kept reverting to national deals.

yes to someone having a baby, for people with older babies probably not.

MikeLitoris Fri 06-Sep-13 11:33:53

oops. I'm a tester btw.

MikeLitoris Fri 06-Sep-13 11:34:47

oops. I'm a tester btw.

aliciagardner Fri 06-Sep-13 18:46:29

Official tester here (!).

Yes, baby monitor, baby bottles and teats.
Good idea but no offers sent through to me appealed/ were cheap enough to compete with regular supermarket-shop prices.
No, ocado was cheaper and it was more convenient as included in my weekly shop.
No, none appealed.
Probably not. I don't think it's worth it as the offers weren't cheaper for me. Amazon prime is good for free next day shipping but the item I ordered didn't arrive next day - it was dispatched really quickly by amazon but the sent Royal Mail, which took 2 days to deliver! If next day delivery is promised by amazon it would probably be better to send via a courier service as Royal Mail are never that reliable in my experience....

goldenretriever Sat 07-Sep-13 18:28:54

Non tester,

Q1. Yes, I've shopped for toys on Amazon

Q2. I do like the service, but feel that there are a lot of emails

Q3. No, I don't remember hearing about it

Q4. Yes, I used it on yet more toys

Q5. I would suggest that they try a free membership and see how they get on.

Puppypoppet Sat 07-Sep-13 22:49:23

I'm a non tester. Q1. Have you ever shopped on Amazon.co.uk for baby or child-related products before this trial? If so, what items did you tend to buy? Many years ago I used it to order a few bits and bobs including baby carrier, a few baby toys etc.
Q 2. What is your overall opinion of Amazon Family? Is there anything in particular you like or dislike about it? This could be about the service itself or the products on offer. Had not heard about amazon family before but being from amazon I would expect it to be pretty faultless and good value.
Q3. Did you use the nappy subscription on offer? If so, what did you think of it? No never used it.
Q 4. Did you use any of the exclusive offers? If so, which ones did you find most useful? If you didn't use any of the offers, why not? n/a
Q 5. If it came up in conversation, would you recommend signing up to Amazon Family to a friend or family member? If so, why? If not, why not? As no experience of amazon family n/a but would recommend amazon

Bringmewineandcake Mon 09-Sep-13 12:23:30

Yes I've bought toys before and also nursing pads.

I don't find it particularly necessary - I can buy all these items from Amazon without signing up for it.

I was tempted by the nappy subscription but the discount would be swallowed up by the annual fee so not worth signing up just for this.

I couldn't really see any exclusive offers that were better than prices elsewhere.

No I wouldn't - it isn't worth the fee.

BigGapMum Mon 09-Sep-13 14:32:15

Non Tester.

Travel cot, toys, pyjama pants.

An idea worth thinking about, but for me it wouldn't be worth the fee.

No, as the numbers of pyjama pants that we would use wouldn't match the number we would get on the subscription.

N/A

I might suggest it to them to investigate, but I wouldn't go as far as recommending it as it would have to stand on its own merit in their own personal situation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now