Please note: This topic is for your comments and feedback on Product Tests being run by Mumsnet. It is not the place to post (or ask for) comments on other products. If you do this, your comments may be deleted. If you'd like to run your own product test, please email insight@mumsnet.com. If you are an entrepreneur or start-up and would like to ask for some feedback, please visit our media requests topic.

What do you think of Amazon Family? Testers and non-testers can post feedback here - Amazon gift certificates up for grabs! NOW CLOSED

(103 Posts)
MichelleMumsnet Netherlands (MNHQ) Wed 14-Aug-13 11:38:50

This is the feedback thread for the 20 Mumsnetters who were selected to test the Amazon Family programme.

If you're not a tester but have tried the Amazon Family programme, then we'd still love to hear from you. Everyone who shares their thoughts will be entered into a prize draw to win a £100 Amazon gift certificate.

We'd like you to answer the following questions, but please feel free to add any other thoughts you have.

Q1. Have you ever shopped on Amazon.co.uk for baby or child-related products before this trial? If so, what items did you tend to buy?
Q 2. What is your overall opinion of Amazon Family? Is there anything in particular you like or dislike about it? This could be about the service itself or the products on offer.
Q3. Did you use the nappy subscription on offer? If so, what did you think of it?
Q 4. Did you use any of the exclusive offers? If so, which ones did you find most useful? If you didn't use any of the offers, why not?
Q 5. If it came up in conversation, would you recommend signing up to Amazon Family to a friend or family member? If so, why? If not, why not?

All testers who provide us with their feedback will be entered into a prize draw to win a £150 Amazon gift certificate.

Many thanks,

MNHQ

crazykat England Sun 18-Aug-13 14:53:41

I was lucky enough to be chosen.

Q1: I've used amazon for baby things before, mainly toys, books, pushchair.

Q2: I found amazon family to be good value especially nappies and wipes which I hadn't thought to look for on amazon before. The next day delivery is great if you need something fast, would have been great to have it when DD1 was invited to a party last minute.

Q3: Yes I used subscribe and save for nappies. It saved me a small fortune as I go through a lot of nappies and wipes with DD2, 2yo and DS2, 10months. The 20% off all subscriptions (except nappies as you get that anyway) when getting 5 in one month was a good saving too. Also saves lugging nappies back from the shops as I don't drive.

Q4: I didn't use any of the special offers as I didn't need/use any of the products. I would use them if they were relevant to me though.

Q5: I would definitely recommend amazon family and amazon in general as there is a wide range of products and good savings. I've also had great customer service in the past - especially when the double pushchair I bought broke after three months use, I was refunded with no problems and was able to replace it.

I'm glad I was chosen for the trial a I'd not heard of amazon family or subscribe and save before and it will save me a small fortune.

BooMeowson Sun 18-Aug-13 17:11:23

I'm not a tester but have been an Amazon Prime member for 6 months or so now.

At the beginning I LOVED it, the offers were great and in fact I recommended them in a lot of forums. It was before I had my baby and I got discounts on the Tommee Tippee collection, Angel Care Monitor and Medela Swing Pump which was BRILLIANT!!

Now the "exclusive offers" are rubbish sad

I think the link-up with Love Film is clever though and has me tempted to upgrade.

I think it's brilliant to have next day delivery and I really recommend it for that. With a new baby you can be so desperate to try something new if it'll work (medicine, a dummy etc etc) and it is so good to be able to order it and have it delivered so quickly. It's also great because as a new Mum I am so disorganised and I can last minute presents delivered to my house or someone else's super fast.

Not used Subscription services yet because you need to order a month in advance and the baby is going through so many nappy sizes I have no idea what size he will be next month! But I have bought online nappies because are cheap.

I would recommend to other people but with much less enthusiasm as the exclusive offers feel like whatever bit of tat they want to get rid of.

eccentrica Sun 18-Aug-13 21:43:45

Non-tester but I was previously a shopper on Amazon, for many years, and had spent hundreds of pounds on books, CDs, MP3s, health and baby products.

When I found out that they don't pay their tax in this country I immediately stopped shopping with them, and have urged others i know to do the same.

I find it disappointing that Mumsnet, which is meant to act in the interests of parents and children, is happy to team up with a company which deliberately neglects its responsibilities, not only depriving this country of millions of pounds in unpaid taxes, which is desperately needed in the current economic situation.

ThePurpleGirl Mon 19-Aug-13 13:06:44

Non-tester but joined Amazon Family in March just before the birth of DD1 - apologies in advance for the essay!

Q1. Have you ever shopped on Amazon.co.uk for baby or child-related products before this trial? If so, what items did you tend to buy?

I use Amazon lots and have done for well over ten years, but hadn't bought any baby or child-related products before joining Amazon Family.

Q 2. What is your overall opinion of Amazon Family? Is there anything in particular you like or dislike about it? This could be about the service itself or the products on offer.

I liked getting the money off vouchers and the link up with Prime - I never saw the point of Prime before as I never needed anything at such short notice, but with a small baby it's really useful. I also like the 20% off nappies through the Subscribe and Save offer. When I first joined there were some brilliant offers on for Family members but for the last few months they've not been things of any interest which is a bit disappointing.

Q3. Did you use the nappy subscription on offer? If so, what did you think of it?

Yes, I signed up last month for the Pampers Gigapack monthly, and am expecting my second month's delivery any day. It's very convenient for them to be delivered to the door rather than having to lug heavy nappies around. The 20% discount is great and made them way cheaper last month than any of the supermarkets, even when they had them on offer. I'm a bit unsure about the fact that the price could fluctuate day to day and it's luck of the draw which day yours get dispatched as to whether it's a high price day or a low price day! I think they should charge the lowest price they've been during the week in which they were dispatched or something similar. I also like the fact that I can delay them or not have them one month, although I think that feature could be made clearer when you first sign up!

Q 4. Did you use any of the exclusive offers? If so, which ones did you find most useful? If you didn't use any of the offers, why not?

Yes, I bought my Angelcare monitor with 20% off (when it was already massively discounted), and a BabyBjorn carrier which from memory was also 20% off (and again was already cheaper than elsewhere). It was for these two offers that I joined Amazon Family. Most of the offers since then have not been for particularly useful products in my opinion. I also find it a bit annoying that in the email I am sent to inform me of my 'Amazon Family offers', many of the 'offers' are just discounts they are currently applying to the site and nothing to do with being a Family member. Something else that annoyed me was that some of the offers had an end date months into the future, but then they disappeared! I recommended it to a friend on the basis of the Angelcare 20% discount which I think said it was valid until the end of December 2013, but it has disappeared.

Q 5. If it came up in conversation, would you recommend signing up to Amazon Family to a friend or family member? If so, why? If not, why not?

Yes, but with caution over mentioning any offers that I thought were still valid but might have been removed, and probably only for people with new babies or babies on the way. Joining Amazon Family effectively gives you discounted Prime membership which is useful with a newborn, as is the 20% nappy discount. The other 'exclusive' offers need improving to become one of the factors in recommending Amazon Family.

lindsey3uk Mon 19-Aug-13 20:28:33

Non - tester
I have used amazon family before and found the deals available great, I would recommend it and I made good use of the amazon prime which is included.

tinypumpkin Mon 19-Aug-13 21:40:14

Non tester here

1. Have you ever shopped on Amazon.co.uk for baby or child-related products before this trial? If so, what items did you tend to buy?

Wipes, toys

I can honestly say that I was completely uninspired by the range of items and special deals. Nothing seems to be of particularly great value to me. Seems like lots of hype to me.

No. Superstores are still cheaper I have found if you buy on offer. I did look into it.

None. No special offers have interested me. Products are not things that I would be interested in.

No, I can't see any benefit of the exclusive deals as the products are not desirable. I struggle to see the benefits of family membership.

NorthernFlower Mon 19-Aug-13 22:19:01

I'm using the free trial of Amazon Family, but not a MN tester.

Yes, for large and small items such as a cot and toys.

I like the free next day delivery.

No. I use cloth and would like a discount on those instead. ;)

No, probably because I did't need those particular items.

Maybe, but probably only for someone with a new baby.

HannahLI Tue 20-Aug-13 10:17:23

I am not a tester but we have and do us amazon family all the time.

Yes all the time we buy nappies every month as for the branded pampers ones on subscribe and save its cheaper. Books, toys, jigsaw puzzles - I am always buying last minute birthday gifts for either my kids or for their friends which I ship in quickly with prime. We have also brought other baby products like a humidifier on amazon to.

Q 2. What is your overall opinion of Amazon Family? Is there anything in particular you like or dislike about it? This could be about the service itself or the products on offer. I like amazon a lot and how quick it is with prime, I wish that the search function would be updated as it doesn't always quite filter and find what I want but on the whole I love it and it doesnt stop me using amazon.

Q3. Did you use the nappy subscription on offer? If so, what did you think of it? Love it, use it every month, my only niggle is that now we get a nominated day which I hate and its fixed. I don't always know over a month ahead what size and how many nappies I need and I would like to be able to order when I want not when amazon tells me I can. It used to be amazing the way it was and I don't see why it has been changed. Also I wish that the prime also worked in conjunction with the subscribe and save as it seems silly that it doesn't.

Yes the book offer but only because it coincided with a gift I needed. A lot of the offers I don't find relevant at all as they are for bigger items that we already have, if I was a new parent these might be more relevant.

Q 5. If it came up in conversation, would you recommend signing up to Amazon Family to a friend or family member? If so, why? If not, why not? Yes for the prime subscribtion trial.

ICutMyFootOnOccamsRazor Tue 20-Aug-13 19:28:54

I'm a non-tester.

Yes I have, I've bought books (paper and audio) and a few toys.

The products were not that interesting to me, to be honest and discounts not that significant.

No I use washable nappies

Didn't find anything that I was really desperate for - I try not to shop on a whim or just because something is discounted.

Maybe, as I have some friends who do a lot of internet shopping, but for me it just wasn't worth it.

GetKnitted Wed 21-Aug-13 22:01:22

Non-tester here, we had rubbish delivery experiences with our amazon prime trial, really 3 and then 5 days to deliver the next day. This wasn't for nappies, so for all I know the nappies and other subscription orders could get priority, but I wouldn't count on it.

We have bought quite a lot from Amazon before, all sorts of things. Never heard of Amazon Family until I saw it on here. I prefer to buy nappies etc as and when I need them but I would consider making other purchases.

We have made loads of purchases from Amazon in the past, the prices are great. Didn't know about Amazon Family until I saw it on here, not sure if I would really have much need for it though.

anchovies Thu 22-Aug-13 15:02:07

Not a tester but a Amazon Family Member

Yes, although now my 3dcs are older there isn't as much to buy! I still haven't used my £25 voucher for example as can't find anything I need in the baby section.
I think that it caters too much for babies. More for school age children please!
No
As above. I haven't been able to spend my voucher sad
I'd highly recommend prime but not specifically family unless the person was pregnant or had very young children.

anchovies Thu 22-Aug-13 15:04:23

Sorry not very clear on Q1, still use amazon loads for toys, games and books for my 3 dcs.

bumps2babies Thu 22-Aug-13 18:18:47

Non-tester here but have tried Amazon family.

Yes, a great variety including baby monitor, safety items, books, toys.

I think it caters too much for babies and toddler/older age children related products should be included/catered for especially as they call it Amazon Family.....families don't stop at baby age.

I liked the money off vouchers and have seen some brilliant offers but not all have been relevant to us.

I find the concept great but could do with more improvement to incorporate the family as a whole rather than focus on babies.

Have not used the nappy subscription on offer as we use cloth nappies.

Bought a monitor on discounted offer. No other offers have suited and items I needed haven't been on offer and I would rather buy when needed than wait just in case an offer comes up.

I would recommend Amazon in general to friends and family and would specifically recommend Amazon Family to friends and family who are expecting or just recently had a new baby as I think the service is best for expecting/new parents.

ChunkyPickle Thu 22-Aug-13 19:13:29

I wasn't a member of the trial, but I signed up as soon as I got a promotional email about it (I was already on Prime) - I wanted to have an easier way to get the bulky bits and pieces that you keep having to buy with a baby/toddler

I like it - I get nappies and wipes delivered, I like that I can say that I need something now, or defer a delivery if it turns out I don't, I like that the prices are good (normally similar to the supermarket). I do find that I need to monitor it as prices change a lot month to month and sometimes I'm better off price-wise with one type of nappy, and sometimes a different one (eg. swapping between pampers super-dry and pampers active)

Yes. It's great. No running out, or having to get to the supermarket and mucking about with huge boxes of nappies being wrestled in and out of the car along with the rest of the shopping and child.

None of the offers have really appealed to me yet - I've just stuck with the basics.

Yes. Prices are good, so much easier getting it delivered, and you get Prime and family for the same yearly price so it's easy to recoup the cost.

WhyIRayLiotta Thu 22-Aug-13 19:48:15

I was delighted to be choosen as a tester grin

I have - quite a lot before DD was born - and we bought loads of stuff we needed as first time parents. I use it a lot for books and stuff for me now more so than baby things - apart from maybe at Christmas / birthdays.

I like the idea of the service. But it's not brilliant for me - as I live in Northern Ireland - delivery times are longer.
The offers - are good - but I have always found amazon to be competitive price-wise... however with voucher schemes etc I think my local supermarket is cheaper. The free delivery on Prime is excellent though - and I will use it while there for things I might have usually went out of my way to buy.
Also - I dislike anything that makes me use my debit card to sign up for a free trial... feel like I am being tricked as it's likely that I will forget to cancel the subscription.

I prefer to buy nappies in bulk when Tesco do their 'baby events'. At the minute I can get 2 packs of 56 nappies for £10. That is cheaper than any I saw on amazon (mostly the more expensive brands) - especially when using Clubcard Boost to double my clubcard points for the baby section.

Also DD is flying through nappy sizes at the minute - so I wouldn't want to commit to an order to then have to think about getting online to alter it / return anything.

Also both DP and I work and it is a real hassle to have to pick things up from the royal mail depot. and Royal Mail continuously drop 'while you were out we tried to deliver..' cards when i've been home and it's incredibly frustrating. Would hate to be low on nappies then have to pack up baby etc to go and queue for 45 mins in the depot.

I haven't yet - nothing jumped out at me. If I use the service more regularly I imagine there will be more tailored offers?

I have - I reccommended it to my SIL who has just had her first baby. She lives rurally - the supermarkets a good 30 min drive away and her local shop is very expensive. So I think it would be handy for her and she really liked the though of a nappy subscription.
I think it would be useful if I had more than 1 child in nappies - they are bulky to move around and if I was on maternity leave / a SAHM I would consider it.

Yes I have, mostly for baby stuff as it was so much easier than hauling out to the shops. Items I bought included nappy creams, cot bedding, breast feeding stuff and toys.

I'm not sure that's it's so much different from just the normal amazon, although there seems nothing to dislike really from what I can see.

No didn't use this.

No I didn't use this. I have to make sure I don't get lured away into spending more than I budgeted for on offers that I don't really need.

Probably not as they would just use normal amazon.

non-tester

Q1. Yes i just about live on Amazon, DVD's, Games/Toys (often it's cheaper to buy from Amazon than it is direct from online Toy Shops when you take into account delivery costs) and Electronics, house hold goods etc! Books for my Kindle

Q 2. My overall opinion of Amazon Family is it's not that special the only people i can see benefiting from it are those who do not live in big cities with a multitude of shopping options, i also hate that you have to be an Amazon Prime member as that for me defeats any possible saving!

Q3. No i didn't , it just did not appeal to me i could find far better savings on the high street if i bought when special offers were on and took advantage of bonus point scheme's etc xoxox

Q 4. I didn't , again no appeal the savings were minimal and i live in Glasgow where i have plenty of shopping options , i could access better savings making the most of vouchers/bonus cards etc!

Q 5. If i were to recommend it to anyone it would be to friend who live in more remote area's , for friends/family local to me then i wouldn't recommend to them x

All testers who provide us with their feedback will be entered into a prize draw to win a £150 Amazon gift certificate.

trinabee Thu 22-Aug-13 20:31:03

Non Tester

Q1. yes i've shopped on amazon for baby items before, nappies, a raincover, baby toys.
Q 2. i've not used amazon family yet, but do intend to in the future, the offers they have seem appealing
Q3. no i didnt use the nappy subscription
Q 4. no i didnt use any of the offers, because i didnt need to at the time
Q 5. yes if it came up in conversation i would probably recommend amazon family, as it seems very good value for money

chrismse Thu 22-Aug-13 23:00:06

Q1 - yes I have shopped on Amazon for baby items - a cot
Q2 - Have not used Amazon Family
Q3 - No did not use nappy sub

Q4 didn`t use offers but will next time.

Q5 - Yes I would recommend to family and friends

elliepen Fri 23-Aug-13 01:19:54

Yes I have, I bought all sorts from playgyms to carriers

I like that Amazon Family itself is a free service and I used to adore the fact it gave value for money with the 10% off available with Subscribe nd save. however with the recent reduction of that to 5% and only 20% with an additional Prime membership I find that I am better of buying with the big retailers such as Tesco/Sainsbury as I still get my loyalty points and they sometimes offer money off anyway.

I did and thought it was absolute value for money.

I used the tommee tippee refill over and it's saved me having to buy a refill for the whole year as I even got £10 off.

In the past i would but right now I wouldn't as I find it's value for money has dropped. Besides with price-matching available chances are they may be found somewhere else

firawla Fri 23-Aug-13 02:30:09

1. Have you ever shopped on Amazon.co.uk for baby or child-related products before this trial? If so, what items did you tend to buy?

im not on this trial but have used amazon family before and yes we buy lot of baby things, especially nappy wrapper casettes as its the cheapest place

more discounts and offers would make me like it more

i havent but may consider in future

i dont think i used much, maybe just some discounts

i might do now thst the free delivery is not available on all items (which is it a pain btw amazon, and annoying for customers!!)

hjmiller Fri 23-Aug-13 04:44:42

Non-tester

I just signed up for Amazon Family on a friends recommendation since they are currently offering a 3-month trial period. The price of nappies is great with 20% off for subscribe & save but not impressed with the "£50" worth of offers - all I can see are "% off" offers - how can they quantify that as £50 worth? Also none of them are any good to me this month - not sure the saving on nappies alone will be worth the annual fee.

ShaolinDan Fri 23-Aug-13 15:38:49

Q1. Yes. Mainly nappies and some toys.
Q 2. It's great and some of the offers really save money. I have set up subscribe and save for nappies and wipes. You do have to put up with a fair number of emails trying to sell you more baby stuff but sometimes they are useful and let you know about products you hadn't heard of. The free nappy bin would have been good, had we needed one.
Q3. Yes. Great and even when you have to change the size a few times it still works.
Q 4. Did you use any of the exclusive offers? If so, which ones did you find most useful? If you didn't use any of the offers, why not? The free nappy bin was a good idea, but we already had an Angelcare one.
Q 5. Yes and I have.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now