Please note: This topic is for your comments and feedback on Product Tests being run by Mumsnet. It is not the place to post (or ask for) comments on other products. If you do this, your comments may be deleted. If you'd like to run your own product test, please email insight@mumsnet.com. If you are an entrepreneur or start-up and would like to ask for some feedback, please visit our media requests topic.

Fissler pots and pans feedback thread: Non Testers: add your own feedback or top tips for keeping pans lasting - you could win a £100 giftcard NOW CLOSED

(147 Posts)
MichelleMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 12-Aug-13 14:12:32

This thread is for the 16 MNers who received a Fissler pot or pan from Tesco to test out.
If your not an official tester but have tried a Fissler pan or pot please do also add your feedback to this thread. If you don't have a Fissler pan or pot then we'd love you to add your own tips on keeping your pans long lasting below.

All non testers who add feedback or a tip will be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win a £100 Tesco voucher

Here's what Fissler have to say, "We have a wide range of pots and pans which are all of high quality, and they have recently become available at Tesco Direct. Their reinforced bases ensure optimal heat absorption, distribution and storage, which makes cooking your food evenly easier as well as saving energy. All our products can be used in the oven as well as on the hob, with the exception of induction. They are also easy to clean, and all our pans have a non-stick coating which means that greasing the pan becomes optional."

On test were:
20cm non stick frying pan
24cm stockpot with lid
28cm non stick grillpan
20cm casserole with lid
28cm non stick stir fry pan
16cm non stick saucepan
24cm non stick frying pan
28cm non stick frying pan

We'd love to know what you thought of the Fissler product you received and have some questions to get you going, but feel free to add any other thoughts you might have:

~ Before you used the Fissler pan for the first time you needed to activate the non stick coating: how was this?
~ What recipes did you cook in your Fissler? How did the pan help?
~ Was your Fissler easy to clean or not? How did you clean it? Dishwasher or by hand?
~ How does the pan compare to your previous pans?
~ Would you recommend Fissler products to friends and family if it came up in conversation? If so, why? If not, why not?
~ Do you think you'll buy more from the range - by collecting the stickers from Tesco to get 70% off RRP?

Everyone who adds their feedback here will be entered into a prize draw to win a £100 Tesco voucher

Please note comments made on this thread may be used by Tesco and/or Fissler elsewhere. Your MN name will not be used.

Thanks,

MNHQ

Spirael Wed 14-Aug-13 09:22:32

Non-tester. I'd like to see more medium/large saucepans with a helper-handle on the far side. Especially when the pans themselves are heavy.

When I'm boiling a lot of pasta or potatoes I can't carry the pan to the sink and drain it one handed. It's awkward (and feels dangerously unstable) to use two hands on the one handle.

Tiggles Wed 14-Aug-13 10:12:04

Still very pleased with the pan - despite putting it through the dishwasher it is working fine on the non-stick. I don't have hot water in the house, so it is a faff to boil a kettle to wash a pan.
I would definitely recommend it to friends/family.

As a PP says they are quite small, I thought I must have requested the 24cm one by mistake, but mine must be the 28cm, but are deep, so no problem in cooking for 5 in it.

lovestogarden Wed 14-Aug-13 10:29:03

Non-tester - I have to stack pans as I have little space. I use a folded napkin inside the pan to stop scratches and metal spoons are banned - I only wooden cooking implements.

Wash by hand and soak for a good while so that you aren't chipping food off!

Steffanoid Wed 14-Aug-13 11:44:48

non-tester here, best tips for keeping pans lasting is do not let your dp who is rather good at sticking to the pan do the cooking with your good pans!

lovestogarden Wed 14-Aug-13 11:49:45

And don't let the kids try to make toffee in them.

prakattack Wed 14-Aug-13 11:55:55

Non-tester here. Does "Don't let DH anywhere near them!" count as a tip?! He's awful at scraping bottoms of pans and not soaking them so bits need scraping off afterwards!

Being serious, I'd agree with all the PP who said spend as much as you can afford - you really do get what you pay for. And then be very careful with utensils, washing up etc. I've never put pans in the dishwasher either, I'm surprised so many people do though not quite sure why...

choccyp1g Wed 14-Aug-13 12:02:06

Buy the best you can afford and always use plastic spatulas.
Never cut up an omelette in the pan !

UserError Wed 14-Aug-13 12:07:35

Non tester here. My tips are:

Never make homemade caramel! It's just not worth the damage it does to the pan. Use melamine or plastic utensils, never metal. Soak pans straight away after use. Spend as much as you can afford on pans in the first place as cheap ones are just false economy.

lovestogarden Wed 14-Aug-13 12:25:24

Don't let your mother boil eggs.

She can make soufflé, bake a complete wedding cake, cook Christmas dinner for 20, but can she boil an egg without forgetting the pan is on the gas and exploding the eggs? No she cannot.

OhWesternWind Wed 14-Aug-13 14:53:05

Non-tester here too.

Pan preservation tips are to always rinse/soak straight away and if there is some real burnt-on mess in the bottom then boil the pan up with some water and biological washing powder in - will lift it off a treat.

Fillybuster Wed 14-Aug-13 14:58:48

Non tester here.

Buy good quality saucepans to start with. It feels like a huuuuuge investment at the time (honestly, I still can't believe what my pans cost....) but 12 years on and they are all (almost) immaculate. And I used them hard!

I suspect this may be down to a combination of innate quality, and the fact that I take enormous care of them as I know I'll never be able to afford new ones....grin

nextphase Wed 14-Aug-13 15:01:13

Non tester:
If you do weld burn things on to the pan, don't scrape it off. Soak, and if needs be, warm the water back up on the hob, and let the carbon come off with a plastic spatula. If you dent the bottom, its game over.

Glitterfairys Wed 14-Aug-13 15:06:11

Non - tester but my top top to preserve pans is to use wooden /silicone spatulas as if you use metal cooking utensils you scratch the pan and it won't last as long as it should.

Babycarmen Wed 14-Aug-13 15:12:43

Non-tester - My best preservation tips are don't buy really cheap pans - they are usually cheap for a reason and the more expensive ones are worth the money usually, they last longer and if you are a keen cook they are an investment! Also, follow the care instructions! Very important! Try not to put in the dishwasher, even if they are suitable for dishwasher use, it does age them. And make sure you use the right utensils when cooking smile

MrsHoarder Wed 14-Aug-13 15:28:53

Non-tester.

Always put a splash of water in the pan with the lid on once they're empty. Keeps the inside damp until it gets washed up. And get DH to hand wash them.

starfishmummy Wed 14-Aug-13 15:35:02

Non tester.
Match your pan to the job - or rather to the hob size. Not only does it waste energy if you stick a small lan on ayour biggest gas ring, but flames licking up the side of the lan are not going to do it any favours. Charred wooden (amhik) or melted plastic handles don't look good and may no longer be safe

Non tester

I have a stainless steel frying pan, always seal it with oil before using it, not sure what these pans are but really need some new pans so watching with interest off to Google them now.

Witchesbrewandbiscuits Wed 14-Aug-13 17:03:36

non tester

top tip - 1 wash with the soft side of a sponge in warm soapy water and rinse

2- only use plastic or wooden utensils to stir etc.

lorka Wed 14-Aug-13 17:10:03

Non tester although I wish I was!!
To prolong the lifetime of my pans I always hand wash them and use wooden utensils.
I am saving up the Tesco vouchers for the Fissler pans so looking forward to trying them out for myself.
smile

I would also say you get what you pay for so. Buy the best you can afford.
I have a pan that was a wedding gift to my late grandparents, so....66 years ago.

Hmm just figured out that my auntie (their eldest) is 66, married in march, aunties birthday is beginning of sept.....no judgement granny grin

lissieloo Wed 14-Aug-13 18:43:39

I'm a non-tester too. And I second the buy the best you can afford. Also, tighten the screws up regularly to avoid tipping a full pan of boiling pasta over your (thankfully welly-clad) feet when the handle comes off.

A non-tester here but I have some tips.

Agreed to buy the best you can afford.

Pots and saucepans should never be filled to more than two thirds full.
If you are deep frying, only fill the pan up to one third full.
If you have stubborn greasy stains then rub a paste of baking soda and water on the pan/pot. Leave for thirty minutes then rinse and dry it.

I have no tips, that's why i wanted a pan to try sad

poachedeggs Wed 14-Aug-13 20:30:38

Non-tester here.

I use stainless steel as I've yet to find non-stick pans that stay that way.

I soak them after use, in soda crystals if they are really bad, and if they are appallingly burnt I boil a solution of soda crystals in them.

I only use nylon scouring pads as I find steel wool scratches pans and makes them stickier.

Hopezibah Wed 14-Aug-13 20:34:53

Non-tester. Our tips would be to coat the pan in a little oil before using it and even if it says safe for dishwasher or safe for metal utensils, still DON'T do these things - that way the pans should last longer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now