This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you'd like test a product on Mumsnet please mail insight@mumsnet.com.

Cook with Organix range feedback PLUS non testers: you could win a hamper of Organix products for feedback too NOW CLOSED

(76 Posts)
AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 05-Aug-13 10:32:17

This is the feedback thread for the 40 MNers who have been trying out the new foods from the Cook with Organix range and Finger Foods range for little ones aged 10m - 2yrs old.

You can read all about Organix on their special pages on MN

If you're not a tester but you've tried some of the new foods, we'd love to hear your thoughts. Everyone who does so will be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win a hamper of Organix products worth £50

Testers: thanks for taking part in this product test - please add your responses to the questions below - but also feel free to add any additional comments.

On test are....
~ Strawberry Rice Cakes £1.19
~ Strawberry Multigrain Hearts 59p
~ Tikka & Korma Paste Pot £2.49
~ Tomatoey Red & Herby Green Paste Pot £2.49
~ Mexican Rice & Sweetcorn Recipe Base £2.49

Questions for testers:
Q1 What was your overall first impressions of the selection of foods that Organix has sent to you? Was it what you were expecting? If not how was it different?
Q2 Did any of the foods you received stand out as very new and different to what other baby food is out there? Why do you say that?
Q3 How did you find cooking the 'Cook with Organix' recipes, were the instructions easy to follow, were the recipes interesting to you, where would you expect to find these foods in the supermarket? Which of the two products was most suited to you; Paste Pots or Recipe Bases?
Q4 what Cook with recipe did you make? Was it one from the pack or did you visit Organix.com for more ideas or add your own twist?
Q5 Did you / your partner try any of the foods yourself, if so what did you think of them?
Q6 What did you think of the value for money for the items?
Q7 And last, but importantly, what did your little one think of the foods? Were there any firm favourites that you will look to purchase in the future, and if so why?

All testers who add feedback on this thread will be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win a £50 Love2Shop voucher

Thanks
MNHQ

For free recipes, meals planners and the latest weaning advice visit us at www.organix.com and for more information about the foods visit their special Facebook app where you will find recipe inspiration, a competition to win the Organix cook Jack for a day, as well as a money-off coupon for future purchases.

GeekInThePink Thu 29-Aug-13 12:43:05

Thanks so much!

MichelleMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 28-Aug-13 15:17:27

Hi everyone - thanks for adding your feedback to the thread. The thread is now closed. Congratulations to Babycarmen for winning the non-tester prize draw, and GeekInThePink who won the prize draw for the testers. We'll be in touch shortly.

Faithless12 Tue 27-Aug-13 12:12:52

We have finally tried the paste pots, and I have to say I love them. We tend to feed DS the same food as us so we have been avoiding a lovely hot curry because DS just wouldn't handle the heat so we had curry night with DS having his tikka made with coconut cream instead of yoghurt and chicken, sweetcorn, sweet peppers, and some sweet potato thrown in for good measure. The flavours are lovely, it's a curry without the heat. I bought the Thai paste pot to try as well and the green (only one we've tried so far) had a lovely lemongrass flavour.

The only negatives is the fact you have to make a bulk amount and we have a tiny freezer so now it's full of meals for DS. Oh well we'll have to have another curry night smile

Pommes Mon 26-Aug-13 18:58:47

Q1 What was your overall first impressions of the selection of foods that Organix has sent to you? Was it what you were expecting? If not how was it different?

The selection was great, lots of variety.

Q2 Did any of the foods you received stand out as very new and different to what other baby food is out there? Why do you say that?

The pastes struck me as being new, I have spotted them since on the supermarket shelves but I expect they are a fairly recent addition.

Q3 How did you find cooking the 'Cook with Organix' recipes, were the instructions easy to follow, were the recipes interesting to you, where would you expect to find these foods in the supermarket? Which of the two products was most suited to you; Paste Pots or Recipe Bases?

Without wanting to be critical because my DS loves all things Organix, I found the 'Cook with Organix' range quite complicated. I have not yet used to Mexican based dish, simply because the instructions looked rather complicated and required lots of ingredients. I'm no Jamie Oliver so perhaps that's just me!

Q4 what Cook with recipe did you make? Was it one from the pack or did you visit Organix.com for more ideas or add your own twist?

As above, yet to use the Mexican dish because I am easily confused.

Q5 Did you / your partner try any of the foods yourself, if so what did you think of them?

Yes, the Strawberry hearts - very nice.

Organix is quite expensive but worth it, my toddler loves the rice cakes.

Q7 And last, but importantly, what did your little one think of the foods? Were there any firm favourites that you will look to purchase in the future, and if so why?

Rice cakes, every time. He loves pasta too so the pots went down well.

I am very sorry for my delay in providing this feedback!

Lighthousekeeping Mon 26-Aug-13 15:22:44

The packaging was nice and bright. Didn't expect such a variety of products.

The Mexican base meal was quite different. The pastes are an interesting idea but the menu suggestions where quite time consuming.

The recipe bases were definitely more suited to our needs. The 10 month old tends to eat what the rest of the family eat and I like to cook so I tend to start from scratch anyway. The menu ideas were good if you were stuck for inspiration but, tbh, I didn't follow them.

The Mexican base went down very well. Just added strips of chicken and abit of red pepper. We don't tend to eat red meat.

The hearts went down very well and smelt better than they tasted! The Mexican base again was bland to an adults tastebuds.

Not bad value at all if you plan on freezing the meas once made. The hearts slightly expensive but worth it they went down so well.

The hearts. He loved them and theirs no chance of his older sisters pinching them! Also the Mexican base for days when he is at home and not eating with the family.

Thank you sorry it took so long. We where here there and everywhere over the holidays.

snowymum12 Mon 26-Aug-13 08:09:42

We weren't chosen to test but my daughter absolutely loves the Organix snacks, especially the little strawberry multigrain hearts. She is at the crawling/cruising stage and so is constantly hungry. I worry about which snacks to give her as some are pretty unhealthy but really trust the Organix brand. I also thing they are reasonably priced for the quality. I would love to try the sauce bases but haven't been able to find them anywhere locally.

My dd loves the rice cakes and hearts- she gets very excited when she gets her small bowlful of the treats!

cherrycherry41 Fri 23-Aug-13 21:22:56

Tried the products with my 10 month old DD.

The rice cakes and strawberry hearts were what i expected as we have tried other brands of these before. The paste pots were very interesting, I dont know what i expected but they were very very good. I would have picked them up shopping as they looked really easy and useful.

The paste pots were definately new. We cook alot at home and have never seen any other brands of this type of product. We were very excited to try them!

Instructions were so easy to follow, the packaging made it so easy to cook to the recipe and shop for the items. We liked the paste pots the most as we batch cook and they went a long way.I would expect to find these in the baby cooking section so parents know theres an alternative to jar food. I loved the recipes in the package, we have only tried a few but we are excited to make them all.

We made the Mild Salmon & Butternut Squash Green Thai Curry for all the family and it was lovely! Added extra spices to mine and DPs. DD enjoyed hers!

We thought the tikka was a bit tomato-ey but perfectly suitable for a child. Loved the Thai Curry recipe and will use it in the future.

Overall a little expensive for everyday cooking but as a 1-2 times a week meal not bad.

She absolutely loved the strawberry rice cakes and we have bought more since. She enjoyed the pasta bases we think and the strawberry hearts were tricky for her to eat but once she got the hang of the pincer grip she devoured them!

TheSporkforeatingkyriarchy Fri 23-Aug-13 12:02:23

Q1 The food pastes were quite unexpected, I'd never used or seen them before for this age group. The rest was normal.

Q2 The food pastes were quite different.

Q3 The recipes were easy to follow, we had the other ingredients mostly on hand, some were more interesting than others but seemed t have a good range. The recipe bases were far more suited to us, though more likely due to familiarity and easy usage.

Q4 The rice went down well, also used the green paste pot with noodles, chicken, and veg.

Q5 No

Q6 They seemed a bit pricey in the shops.

Q7 He seemed to enjoy everything, but he's a mini hoover.

Bottlemum Fri 23-Aug-13 08:57:05

I want to taste Organix stuff!! My 8 month old loves the rice cakes and especially loves the carrot sticks-I can't get the bag out or she goes mad!
@bottlemum

Not a tester but I have bought organix products in the past for both my children, now aged 4 and 18 mths. Rice cakes are a firm favourite still and I have also been using some of the pots with the youngest and she enjoys them. It's nice to se some really lovely flavour options that actually taste like something I would want to eat!

PeppaPigStinks Wed 21-Aug-13 10:55:01

The selection was great. I was expecting the paste pots to possibly do an adult meal but I think this is because I approached weaning as ‘baby led weaning’ as opposed to purees so I often meal plan for all of the household.
I was expecting a bigger bag for strawberry hearts, but again I think it was a lack of understanding on my part of what was included.
Overall I was very impressed and DD helped me open the package and wanted the rice cakes straight away.

The paste pots are great and stand out as alternatives seem to be in adult food aisles which tend to be very high in salt and sugar- I don’t use these for cooking with for DD.

The paste pots were really easy to follow – however, when I read the outside of the box with the list of instructions I was expecting the paste to go a lot further, this is because, when you look inside the amounts required are actually a lot less.
I liked the paste pots and suited me the best. I would expect to find them in baby food aisle.

Q4 what Cook with recipe did you make? Was it one from the pack or did you visitOrganix.com for more ideas or add your own twist?
I used the chicken tikka, however, used a whole pepper, tin of tomatoes and more chicken to make it go further. While it was a little bland because I increased the core ingrediants, DD really enjoyed it and it is the most she has eatn for a long time.

We both liked the rice cakes and strawberry hearts.
I tried my tikka concoction and it wasn’t too bad, I imagine if I followed the recipes it would be tasty.

I think they are good VFM. I would possibly not buy the paste pots although they are very very convenient, mostly because I have all of the spices listed on the ingredients list.

I may purchase the pots as they are quick and convenient – I also need to provide meals for nursery for DD, so would make up batches and freeze.
Rice cakes are a firm favourite of DD- although I do try to limit sweet flavours.

I would also like to know if the tomato and carrot oat bars have been discontinued – DD loved these and find all the others now available way too sweet. She also cannot have orange as it flairs her eczema, and orange is in some of the sweeter ones.

DorasMummy Tue 20-Aug-13 13:23:43

Sorry it's taken ages to reply we've been on holiday and just got round to trying it all!

No it wasn't what I was expecting, only because I'd never seen the concept of cook-in sauces and recipe based for babies before. We've had similar finger foods before and often have the hearts.

The stir in sauces are definitely different, and allow you to add new flavours to the 'same old' ingredients.

I found the sauces really straight forward. I have to admit I didn't adhere to the recipes particularly as I was adapting them to what DD would normally eat, or what I'd happened to be cooking for the rest of the family that night.

I see other people have commented on this, but quite a few ideas seem to include dairy products. DD has a severe milk allergy so all of these are a no no for us. It would be great if the recipes could offer a dairy/allergen free alternative to the 'normal' recipe. I find this a big problem in many baby foods - a big reliance on milk and wheat in the ingredients (a lot of babies have a problem with both) which leaves you with few 'ready made' options. It would be great if Organix could pay more attention to this with new ranges, it's something I've raised with Waitrose buyers in the past.

We don't have a microwave (by choice - we don't microwave any food), so it was a bit frustrating that there's no alternative hob instructions for the rice base. I haven't tried it for this reason, although I probably will see if I can get a good result on the hob by trial and error. Would Organix like to give hob instructions I could try and then let them know?

Yep, we gave all the sauces a taste - pretty tasty! I also tried the rice cakes which were very fruity, and the multi grain hearts. To be honest I try not to give DD too much dried fruit (or anything that has a very sweet taste) so I'm unlikely to buy the strawberry hearts and will stick to the less sweet vanilla flavour. The rice cakes also stained everything they touched (including my white jeans with someone's sticky little fingers) so not massively practical, and I'm unlikely to buy those again. I'm pretty sure the rice cakes I was sent were blueberry rather than strawberry as listed above, though.

To be quite honest, the sauces are expensive and do seem like a bit of a luxury, as is the rice base. As DD is 17 months and her pallet is developing, I am more likely to give her a bit of adult curry or pasta sauce now as I'm less worried about the salt and other ingredients. I don't buy many ready made sauces for us, so I'm more likely to make a slightly adapted version of a home made sauce for DD with less spice, for example, while I was making the adult meal.

DD is thankfully a fabulous eater, so she loved it all grin

Hello!

Thank you for choosing me as a tester, sorry its taken me so long, I've had a busy few weeks.

The box included a good range of savoury meals and snacks. I was pleased to see the strawberry rice cakes - not a flavour i'd seen before.

All of the "cook with organix" pots seemed different to what i've used before. I normally either cook from scratch myself or use a pouch of baby food if i'm in a rush or out and about and can't find food my son can eat.

i thought the recipes were interesting and easy to follow. My son is cow's milk protein intolerant and allergic to soya which made finding altenative ingredients to use in the recipes a bit challenging. I prefered the Paste pots. I would expect to find these in the baby food aisle.

I followed the recipes on the pack.
My son is cow's milk protein intolerant and allergic to soya which made finding altenative ingredients to use in the recipes a bit challenging.I added coconut milk instead of cream cheese which made it a bit runny, but my son didn't seem to mind!

Only a little taste. Seemed ok.

They are quite expensive. I would probably wait till i saw them on offer.

He liked the food.
I will definitely buy the strawberry rice cakes as they make a change from other flavours. My son really liked them and my 3 year old daughter pinched quite a few!

Truffkin Sun 18-Aug-13 20:24:51

Just popping back to update that the strawberry rice cakes are now a big hit and my son has started asking for them as a snack! I said upthread that he wasn't fussed, which initially was the case, but he's done a u-turn and is a fan smile

BigBrassBand Sun 18-Aug-13 20:12:51

*adores

BigBrassBand Sun 18-Aug-13 20:12:31

It was entirely different to what I was expecting, if anything I'd expected vacuum packed sauces.

The paste pots reminded me of the Dolmio pasta stir-in sauces.

Paste pots were more suitable as I was able to tailor them to my family's tastes.

Made a Lamb tikka with the tikka sauce.

I tasted the tikka sauce and both the pasta sauces. They were delicious and quite grown up in flavour.

Seemed a reasonable price for a treat meal, I wouldn't purchase them for daily use but once or twice a week.

Q7 And last, but importantly, what did your little one think of the foods?
My 23 month old son really enjoyed the meals made with the sauce pots. Was not too keen on the recipe base or the multigrain hearts. The strawberry rice cakes went down very well with my son and 6 year old daughter.

Were there any firm favourites that you will look to purchase in the future, and if so why?
I will buy the curry sauce pots as my son adore curry but I don't want to buy a large jar of curry paste just for him. These sizes are far more convenient for a small child's meal (plus some for the next day's lunch!).

BlastOff Sun 18-Aug-13 00:14:25

I like organix packaging and these all would have appealed to me in the shop. Wasn't expecting 'pastes' to make meals with: I thought they would be more ready to cook.

Q2 Did any of the foods you received stand out as very new and different to what other baby food is out there? Why do you say that

I've not come across any other paste pots. Everything else is just baby 'ready meals'

I had to get ingredients in especially. They required a bit more work than I expected! I would expect to find these with the baby food.

I made the green veg paste pasta but added chicken. I plan to do one of the curries tomorrow.

Yes partner enjoyed pasta veg. I tasted it and thought it was ok too. Hoping we will like the curry more.

Ok if you get as many serving as it suggests.

They both loved the strawberry hearts and want them again. I will buy them in the future. They didn't enjoy the rice cakes but aren't keen on rice cakes in general. They refused to eat the pasta with green veg. Will keep you posted with regards to the curry.

mouseymummy Sat 17-Aug-13 15:07:47

I wasn't sure what to expect but the stir in pots were amazing!

Yes, the stir in pots, there are a couple of products similar but none are as nice or as appealing to my little one! The strawberry hearts were quite different too.

The recipe bases were probably easier but the paste pots made more, so its 50:50 to be honest.

Instead of using parmasan cheese, I used normal cheddar, my little one wasn't so keen on parmasan so I didn't add it, I also used pasta, instead of rice as I find she can just get stuck in and I don't have to feed her, which is easier for both of us.

I tried everything that was sent! I quite liked the paste pots, I wasn't keen on the bases but the baby liked them!

They seem quite expensive compared to other foods but when you work out meal sizes etc, it does work out cheaper.

We will definatly be getting the rice cakes and strawberry hearts again. The bases will probably be something I pick up every so often and the paste pots will be bought once a month when we buy the baby food!

Thank you for the oppertunity

ThatsSoVanquish Sat 17-Aug-13 15:02:46

What was your overall first impressions of the selection of foods that Organix has sent to you? Was it what you were expecting? If not how was it different?
I was happy with the products, and they were as expected.

The paste pots seemed quite novel, haven't seen anything like this before.
I was a bit disappointed by the inclusion of cow's milk based ingredients in all the recipes. My daughter is allergic to cow's milk, this seems quite common in babies/toddlers so it would be good for some suitable recipes. This meant it took me a while to get round to making anything. I wouldn't say one suited me more than the other.

I made the mexican rice with some cooked chicken - as above couldn't follow the recipe because of the milk ingredients. Also made the green paste pot with some salmon and pasta.

Yes. we both tried the rice cakes - nice! I also liked the mexican rice.

Q6 What did you think of the value for money for the items
Reasonable. You can make a few portions and freeze them quite easily. Multigrain hearts a but pricey, though DD liked them so may buy once ina while.

Q7 And last, but importantly, what did your little one think of the foods? Were there any firm favourites that you will look to purchase in the future, and if so why? She was a bit unsure of the rice at first then ate it. She isn't a fussy eater so I usually expect her to eat her dinner, which she happily did.

HaveTeaWillSurvive Sat 17-Aug-13 12:00:01

Was pretty much what I was expecting, like christmas smile

Was quite excited about the paste pots, hasn't seen anything similar before and I'm very cautious about salt in normal ranges.

The recipes were straightforward and easy to follow, will probably just use as a guide going forward as we have a 'fling random things in a pot' house.would expect to find these in the baby food section. We liked the paste pots best, although recipe base is handy to have in back of cupboard.

We made the bolognese, spinach and lentil curry and chicken tikka masala from the packs then made up the rest as we went along depending on what we had in.

I tried everything, the strawberry rice cakes were nice - more flavour than normal and the freeze dried fruit in the hearts was really nice. I thought the pots made tasty meals, helped by all the fresh veg we piled in, although I usually share food with DS now so have got used to blander / less seasoned meals.

Pretty good, well definitely be buying the paste pots again.

DS loved the rice cakes and hearts, although the strawberry pieces were a bit small for him to eat himself so I ended up sticking them to his tongue where I could - if these were a bit bigger they'd be perfect.

He's generally a good eater and enjoyed most things, was a bit suspicious of the curry's but once he'd picked out some chicken was happy to eat both. He preferred the tomatoey pasta sauce.

jetstar Sat 17-Aug-13 11:42:01

Thank you for picking us for this taste test - we enjoyed it!

It was what I was expecting and it all looked good – I was excited to try it out.

I thought that both the paste pots and the recipe bases were things that you don’t usually see in the supermarkets. I was interested in them as I am always trying to think of new ideas for what to feed my 2 girls but I’m not a great cook so I liked that all the thinking was done for you!

The recipes were pretty easy to follow (although I managed to forget to put the yoghurt into the Tikka Masala – my girls did still eat it though!) and interesting enough for us. I would expect to find them in the baby food aisle. I would go for the recipe base first and the paste pots second.

Have not yet visited Organix.com due to time pressures, just used the recipes on the packets which turned out well – the girls ate them with my 1 year old being quite keen and my 3 year old a bit suspicious (she is fussy) but would try them.

I tried them and thought they were pretty tasty – more so than some other brands we have tried.

~ Strawberry Rice Cakes £1.19 – good value for money
~ Strawberry Multigrain Hearts 59p – a little expensive but would buy them
~ Tikka & Korma Paste Pot £2.49 - quite expensive so might not buy as often
~ Tomatoey Red & Herby Green Paste Pot £2.49 - quite expensive so might not buy as often
~ Mexican Rice & Sweetcorn Recipe Base £2.49 – quite expensive so might not buy as often

~ Strawberry Rice Cakes – little ones (and friends) loved them and would definitely buy again – make a change from apple ones (my girls won’t eat the savoury ones)
~ Strawberry Multigrain Hearts – my 1 year old scoffed the lot so would buy again! Although she preferred the hearts to the strawberry bits.
~ Tikka & Korma Paste Pot – went down well with both girls so would buy again, maybe once a month or so
~ Tomatoey Red & Herby Green Paste Pot – haven’t managed to try this yet, sorry but I will do!
~ Mexican Rice & Sweetcorn Recipe Base - went down well with both girls so would buy again, maybe once a month or so

Basically, if one or both of the girls will eat something then I will be prepared to buy it again! I would get annoyed if I couldn’t find it in Sainsbury’s but I do sometimes shop at Tesco & Waitrose.

DD is still off her food so answering what I can

What I was expecting, I liked the magnet smile

I live out in the sticks so not a huge selection of food to choose from normally. I haven't seen anything like the pots before, dd eats rice cakes regularly but this is the first time I've seen strawberry ones

Haven't had a chance to do them yet but they seem easy enough from reading the instructions. I would expect to find them in the baby food aisle. Can't really comment on what is more suited until I try them

I would probably just do what is on the pack to start with, I'm not a very adventurous cook.

DH is likely to try some

I feel I need to try them first before I could comment properly on that

Rice cakes she likes, hearts she doesn't. I usually buy Boots rice cakes as they don't tend to stain like the Organix ones.

GeekInThePink Sat 17-Aug-13 10:05:45

1- I really liked the pots, it made adding say chicken, fish and then carbs and veg really easy.

2- the curry pots were a brilliant idea, really impressed by this.

3- the recipes were really easy to follow, I felt confident it would work and my DC really enjoyed it the pastes.

4- I made the tikka and added chapati, a tin of tomatoes and chick peas and rice. It was great.

5-we tried everything and liked everything! The curry pots would be easy to turn into family meals. My two hadnt had curry before but they lapped it up!

6 and 7- I will and have already bought more of these products, namely the rice cakes and the little multigrain hearts were great to take out and about.
I likes the Mexican rice the best alas my children didn't seem too!

Thanks for choosing me it was brilliant and a life saver whilst we have had an awful few weeks. At least I knew the kids had something!

Babycarmen Fri 16-Aug-13 15:17:23

Non-tester here! The strawberry rice cakes have been a massive hit with both my children (5 and 1) so we will definitely be buying them again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now