Please note: This topic is for your comments and feedback on Product Tests being run by Mumsnet. It is not the place to post (or ask for) comments on other products. If you do this, your comments may be deleted. If you'd like to run your own product test, please email insight@mumsnet.com. If you are an entrepreneur or start-up and would like to ask for some feedback, please visit our media requests topic.

F&F School Uniform feedback thread

(134 Posts)
MichelleMumsnet Netherlands (MNHQ) Tue 16-Jul-13 12:03:31

This thread is for the 100 MNers who have been trying out the new school uniform range from F&F.

Here's what they say about the range: "At F&F we're really proud of the value and quality of our products and have spent the last year really improving our schoolwear range. Our schoolwear offering, which is available online all year round, is designed to last. With features including Teflon® fabric protector across skirts, trousers and pinafores, we believe that we've made it easier to get those stains out. Also, we've included adjustable waistbands to ensure a more comfortable fit for your children that will also help the items last that little bit longer as they grow. Finally, we've helped reduce the ironing with our permanent pleats in skirts."

Below are a couple of questions for you to answer, but please also feel free to add any other comments you may also have.

Q1 Which items from the range did you buy and how much did you spend? Would you say this was good value for money or not?

Q2 Did the overall quality of the school uniforms match your expectations? If so, how? If not, why not?

Q3 If you bought any Teflon® coated fabric, did you like or dislike it? Did you notice any difference to the uniform staying clean at all? Did the fabric help when trying to get stains out? Do you think the fabric is likely to be more or less durable than other school uniform fabric?

Q4 Do you have any other feedback that could help F&F improve their schoolwear again next year?

Q5 Finally, if it came up in conversation would you recommend F&F schoolwear range to friends or family? If so, why? If not, why not?

Thanks,

Michelle @ MNHQ

skyeskyeskye Thu 12-Dec-13 21:09:54

I was recently given a second hand school pinafore for DD from Next. It has a zip under the arm on one side which makes getting the pinafore on, so much easier. My comment was that DD struggles to get on pinafores that are even 2 sizes bigger.

Perhaps that is something that Tesco could consider? a zip under the arm?

Other than that, the uniform is washing and wearing very well and the pinafores never need ironing.

Peaches66 Fri 29-Nov-13 21:39:07

Q1 Which items from the range did you buy and how much did you spend? Would you say this was good value for money or not?

- I bought the embroidery service cardigan, polo shirts and book bag. I think the cardio and polo shirts are good value, however the book bag is not. This is the 3rd book bag I've bought, and I don't believe it to be the last and my dd is only in year 1.

Q2 Did the overall quality of the school uniforms match your expectations? If so, how? If not, why not?

- initially the feel and quality of the garments are fine. After a few washes, the deep colours fade. I have to buy burgundy. The book bag however disintegrates very quickly! The coating flakes off and holes appear in the corners of the bag. Coating material probably degrades because of the material used.... They need to look into a more stable material as the book bag needs to be hard wearing. I don't think it's fit for purpose.

Q3 If you bought any Teflon® coated fabric, did you like or dislike it? Did you notice any difference to the uniform staying clean at all? Did the fabric help when trying to get stains out? Do you think the fabric is likely to be more or less durable than other school uniform fabric?

- I think that the Teflon coated is a good thing. Stains do release. And I think that the garments are more durable. Can the Teflon coat white polo shirts?

Q4 Do you have any other feedback that could help F&F improve their schoolwear again next year?

- put reinforcements not the lower corners of the book bags! I have no choice where I buy my embroidered items from, so I'd like my comments to be noted. I don't need to buy two or more bags a year... That's just poor quality.

Q5 Finally, if it came up in conversation would you recommend F&F schoolwear range to friends or family? If so, why? If not, why not?

- for the majority of the range I would. Price and quality is good. For the products that I can't get anywhere else I wouldn't. I wish I had more choice. Then retailers would be fighting for customer share by improving customer experience of quality.

LovesBeingHereAgain Tue 26-Nov-13 18:20:19

Has anyone else had a problem with tge Teflon washing off? Tge pleats are no longer staying and am having to triton them everyday.

DearlyDepartedMrsFinch Sun 01-Sep-13 22:27:27

Having bought another few things from Tesco I feel compelled to add more feedback.

Two main points:

1. online stock was dreadful. I struggled to get a few things for my first order at the end of July and really struggled last week. In fact, there was so little stock available that I ended up spending £30 at Asda instead. This experience really affects my opinions on internet shopping at Tesco in the future.

2. I ordered girls size 7-8 yrs pique polo shirts in white (2 pack; buy one give one), stated height is 128cm. I also ordered unisex size 7-8 yrs polo shirts in blue, stated height 128cm. However, the discrepancy in size was OUTRAGEOUS - at least 4 cm longer length in the unisex, about 3 cm either side of the chest wider, and much longer sleeves. Simply ridiculous. And really, really, really, really annoying.

Why would the unisex be so much bigger? Are boys taller at this age? No. Are they wider at this age? No. Do they have much longer arms? No. Utterly frustrating. I will NOT buy any more polo shirts from Tesco for precisely this reason.

vincenta Mon 12-Aug-13 19:55:42

I just wanted to add that boys white socks and grey socks washes well and looks great for that price it is fantastic value for money! I like when my son weras white socks and every mum knows that boys are so messysmile
Even at 40 degree wash white socks are white again! Well done Tesco! Will definitely buy more socks in future!
By the way school trousers washes well and ironing is very easy! we attended relatives wedding and my son wear school trousers as they looked so smart!

Lilyloo Mon 05-Aug-13 21:47:32

Anyone else have problems with the white frill ankle socks. They seemed ok when worn once at school, even then she didn't wear all of them. But they seem to be falling apart, the frills are all coming away from the sock?

Sparky, I think they said 24th on the original thread. I was a day or so late myself I believe because in my head the 24th was a Friday blush.

SparkyTGD Mon 05-Aug-13 11:53:20

ps it would have been useful to have a date that feedback was needed by.

SparkyTGD Mon 05-Aug-13 11:51:42

Think I am too late but have been on hols & didn't realise thread would close so soon (plus waiting for the rest of my order)

I bought various sizes of 2 packs boys school trousers (8-9) (9-10) (10-11)

Unisex V-neck school jumper

Boys school track pants (still need to buy more sizes, too big)

1 pair of sandals for myself

I spent £50 so far, good value for money, usually buy M&S so definitely cheaper.

Quality seems good, didn't shrink at all in wash. But sizes came up very big (DS is tall so usually have to take older sizes). Was disappointed there were no flat front trousers because they are less bulky than the pleat front ones.

An added note, my sandals came with a broken strap so that was very poor sad

I did buy Teflon coated trousers but think its too early to say if this will help with stain resistance (he won't wear them in the holidays!). They seemed fine though and not excessively hard. The stiffness should hopefully help them last longer.

Flat fronted trousers needed. Ordering on website was difficult when using in-private browsing but fine on normal (must be to do with cookies, I think).

Yes, good price, quality seems fine.

Will be able to give better feedback after a longer product test, not really long enough to assess how well the clothes last.

SparkyTGD Mon 05-Aug-13 11:37:51

Checking I can still post on thread.

Hope I'm not too late for feedback, sizes were on the large side so had to wait for smaller items to come.

LottienHuw Sat 03-Aug-13 21:52:38

I bought shirts for my son, blouses and cardigan for my daughter and PE shorts and t-shirts for both children.

No, the shirts are very thin, my daughter is very conscious about her body and being able to see through her shirt was embarrassing. I had to purchase another brand. They go grey very quickly too, after only 2 or 3 washes. The cardigans are very thin which is ok for summer but not winter when walking to school. Also after washing several times the colour fades significantly and the shape becomes twisted. After just 2 weeks use I felt I would need to replace the entire uniform in time for September. As a plus point the PE kits are great value and they seem to be good quality but I feel thats because the t-shirts are a lot thicker than blouses/shirts in the uniform

I have previously purchased the trousers/skirts with teflon. I did not find them any easier to clean. I also didnt like the sheen on the fabric

Use higher cotton weave psi in the shirts so they are not see through and try and get rid of the shiny finish on the trousers/skirts. Better colour fasting on the knitwear too and perhaps pre-rinsed knitwear so it doesnt twist in the wash would be ideal.

No, I would not recommend. For me the quality just wasnt there. Thin flimsy shirts/blouses and cardigans and shiny trousers/skirts just dont look as smart as other brands available. I do need to watch how much I spend but I feel they are a false economy if I have to replace them every term. Items such as shirts and cardigans should last 2 terms at least.

JustCallMeBaldrick Fri 02-Aug-13 11:19:57

I bought trousers and white polo shirts, as I wanted to try them out before buying loads!

I am very impressed with the trousers, and DTS2 loved the pleated fronts, as they are "like Daddy's work trousers" smile
The polo shirts have come clean after a normal 40 wash and drying on the line, even though they were covered in paint and food.

No Teflon tried, but I will look out for some nearer September.

The website could be so much better! And please can we have forest/bottle green jumpers and polo shirts? Nowhere does dark green polo shirts, and white is really not very practical for 7-year old boys...

I would recommend it (and already have when I mentioned the trial to a couple of friends)

Thank you for letting us test it, we will definitely be buying more, based on the recommendations on this thread!

Just adding an update to say our embroidered tops have now also arrived (sweatshirts & polo necks), I was quite impressed at how quickly they arrived given they are done specially and the last set I ordered took a lot longer. (I already reviewed the other things we got above).

We haven't used the tops properly as it was already holidays by the time they arrived, but they look good and the embroidered logos look very smart, no loose threads visible or anything. We've had Tesco ones in the past too and they seemed to last well, only the polos faded a bit over time but it seems to me that they always do if you have bright colours (the sweatshirts didn't seem to though).

DearlyDepartedMrsFinch Tue 30-Jul-13 20:43:00

Gosh, so sorry, I completely forgot to come and give feedback. Hope it's not too late. I bought the uniform for DD1, aged 5.10.

Excellent value for money. I spent £28 and bought the following:

Girls scallop edge cardigan, blue, age 7-8
Buy One Give One pleated skirt, grey, age 6-7
Buy One Give One pleated skirt, grey, age 7-8
Buy One Give One 2 pack girls scallop collar Fairtrade polo shirts, white, 7-8
Gingham school dress with hairband, blue, 8-9
5 pair pack gingham frill trim socks, blue, 12.5-3.5
2 pair pack 40 denier microfibre tights, grey, 7-8
2 pair pack 40 denier microfibre tights, grey, 9-10

I bought this in a hurry as we were about to leave on holiday. I'll be spending the rest of the vouchers over the summer.

Yes. I'd say the quality exactly met my expectation. Although, to be honest, the quality was probably better than the extremely low price tag suggests.

The only issue I had was the tights. I was expecting woolly school tights, but these were finer than that - this is probably obvious by the '40 denier' description, but I was in a rush and probably didn't read the description properly. My daughter suffers from an unfortunate lack of bum, and I find it a nightmare to find tights that will stay up. Hence buying the large sizes (hoping to hoick them up to her armpits grin ).

DD is tall for her age so I bought the majority of items in larger sizes, with some to keep in storage for next year too. However, she will wear the age 6-7 skirt when she starts Year 1 in September, when she will be nearly 6. And I do expect the polo shirts and cardigans to wash up slightly so will start her in the size up. This is no reflection on Tesco, it is just the experience I have had from all of DD's supermarket polos/cardigans from the last year (mainly Sainsburys, a few Asda). Obviously I'll be able to report on how the items wash when the new school year starts (if this thread is still open).

I'm not sure whether I bought any Teflon coated things, sorry. The skirts had permanent pleats, I think, and the fabric seemed okay (not too stiff). Obviously none of the uniform has been worn, due to the trial being right before the end of the school year (see my previous post for further discombobulation!).

The hairband that comes with the gingham dress is a big hit with DD. However, she does struggle with the buttons on the dress. I think this is due to them being fabric-covered.

If Tesco could invent white polo shirts that stay white and readily give up their stains of tomato sauce, chocolate cake, felt pen, random grime etc then I would pay a fortune <<wishful thinker>>. However, as this is currently not the case, then I am quite happy to pay as little as possible for shirts that will be trashed and binned by the end of the year. So hurrah for supermarket school uniform. But, the 'Buy One Give One' scheme would definitely make me choose Tesco over its competitors.

Yes, because it is cheap and good quality. This is based on seeing the items unwashed and unworn, but I can't see any reason why my opinion would change to be honest.

Thanks!

I bought 5 red jumpers, 3 2-packs of white polo shirts, 2-pack of white t-shirts, 2-pack of sport shorts, socks and 5 pairs of grey longer length school trousers. I spent around £50, I thought this was very good value.
Q2 Did the overall quality of the school uniforms match your expectations? If so, how? If not, why not?I was pleased with the quality.

I don't think any if the products I bought were Teflon coated.
The polo shirts are a bit thin. Also a size 4-5 in the sport shorts/ trousers would be good!

Yes, its very good value and good quality.

prakattack Tue 30-Jul-13 10:17:19

I have spent half the money so far and will spend the rest before September now I've had chance to wash and test everything. I bought 4 pairs of shorts (unintentionally!), 2 pairs of trousers, 4 polo shirts, socks and plimsolls.
Before September, I will buy more trousers, maybe school shoes and coat, and some gym kit.

Yes it did, and exceeded in some cases. Was really pleased with the quality of the shorts - they were so cheap I accidentally bought 4 as I thought the price (£4) was for one pair when actually it was for a 2-pack. But they're lovely, fit really well (though have had to cinch the waist in quite a long way)
The polo shirts seem fine too, a nice bright red, but I'll be interested to see how the colour lasts. I only had chance to wash them a couple of times before the term ended.

I didn't consciously buy any Teflon-coated items so I can't comment

I HATED the online experience I'm afraid. i found it difficult to differentiate the different types of trousers or shorts - they didn't seem to appear in any logical order - and the search function wasn't great. The systems also kept emptying my basket before i was ready to checkout, maybe every 15 minutes or so, which was really frustrating! I then had to try and work out what had gone and restart the whole process, this happened 3 or 4 times and if I hadn't had the vouchers, I'd have given up and gone back to M&S.

Yes I would, I think it's amazing value! I would recommend they went in-store rather than online though. Partly because the online process was so horrendous but also because there are so many variations of trousers/ shorts, it was hard to tell what the differences were and it would be much easier to see them before buying. Unless the online shop could make these differences much clearer somehow?

babsmam Mon 29-Jul-13 20:33:58

I spent half of the money due to lack of stock in clothes in my children's sizes. I got 6 polo shirts, 3 skirt, socks, pants, tights, a pe bag. Thought they were on a par with other supermarket lines for value.

The quality was fine. Although the sizing is a bit random the gingham dresses are really big fitting yet the skirts are just right. The polo shirts I have to take bak and get age 8 for my rather tall 5 year old. The royal blue was not the right shade of blue it seemed a bit of a washed out blue rather than royal.

The Teflon skirts seem fine but a bit shines as others have commented on

I have not had chance to give them a good test as by the time I got the uniform we were breaking up and the dresses were too huge to wear this year.

So far nothing to make them stand out over other supermarket brands

Maybe when I manage to get the rest of the goods it might be different

Mummynotmum Mon 29-Jul-13 17:37:48

Sorry for the delay!
Q1 I bought 6 basic polo shirts for DS who is 5, 4 pairs of flat fronted trousers, 6 red sweatshirts, 1 waterproof grey jacket, 7 pairs grey socks, 2 pairs grey shorts. Fr DD who is 3 I bought 4 grey pinafores, 4 red sweatshirts, 6 white polo tops and 4 pairs grey tights. Brilliant value for money! I've Lways bought uniform from John Lewis or marks and spencer before and didn't realise how cheap it could be,

Q2 the quality did match my expectations. I was worried that because it was so cheap, the quality would be less good but everything has washed really well and kept its shape and colour. Especially the polo shirts which is often a problem. Impressed.

Q3 I didn't buy anything Teflon so I can't comment.

Q4 the trousers seemed to be a perfect length but I had to take them in loads at the waist with the elastic, which made them bunch up a bit, but no real problem. DS is really skinny, so prob his fault!

Q5 I would definitely recommend F&F school uniform to my friends, and have done already! Thanks for the opportunity to try them out!

bunjies Mon 29-Jul-13 13:50:38

I bought F&F 2 Pack of Boys Easy Iron Short Sleeve School Shirts for £5 and F&F 7 Pair Pack of Fresh Feel Ankle Socks £4.
I will be buying skirts & possibly shoes and jumpers towards the end of the holidays as well.
I think this very good value for money, especially the shirts.

The quality was fine although the socks did shrink a bit after washing. They still felt soft even though I don't use fabric softener. The shirts came out of the wash ok and had an expected amount of creasing for an easy iron item.

No, didn't buy Teflon coated items this time.

Please do trousers for children with different body shapes/leg lengths. My ds & dd2 are very skinny so normal leg trousers just fall off them. On the other hand dd1 is chubbier around the tummy so we have to go up an age band in order to find her something that fits her waist but then the leg is too long.

So far I would be happy to recommend the items I bought but I would still go to M&S for trousers as they do different leg lengths.

I brought uniform for two children, 2 packs of long sleeve white shirts, 2 packs of white polos, one pleated skirt, 2 pleated pinafores, a gingham summer dress, girls ankle socks, boys grey ankle socks, 2 pairs of boys trousers, 2 v neck jumpers, and 2 pairs of sandals for myself!
I spent exactly £100

overall I was impressed with the quality of the uniform, the materials had more manmade fibres than I would normally buy but otherwise exceeded expectations.

the Teflon coated items felt stiffer than other items but that could be my imagination. I haven't noticed any real difference in terms of stains coming out etc, but then the children didn't really have time to get stains before school broke up for summer.

Id like to see more natural materials used, lots of cotton, less focus on Teflon and non iron as that's not of a concern to me.

I have to say I have been pleasantly surprised by the products. I would recommend them and would buy from Tesco again. The prices are good and the quality appears to be there too.

perhaps it would be an idea for a follow up at the end of next term to see how the uniform has coped with a full term of washing and activities.

SandWitch Sat 27-Jul-13 10:19:50

Sorry for the delay in getting this written - my laptop went 'bang'.

Items purchased were:
F&F 2 pack of boys easy iron short sleeve school shirts - good value. The fabric is much thiner than the M&S shirst that I usually buy, but ds seems happy with them. They are a good fit around the collar area, but rather large in the body.

F&F Boys 5 pocket school trousers - Great value - ds loves these trousers. They are smart, but are a little more trendy than normal school trousers. They need a lot of taking in at the waist though, so will be interested to see how the elastic lasts.
If these trousers were available in a slimmer fit, they would be perfect.

F&F Boys pleat front school trousers - Much too large for slim ds. I could probably fit two of him into one pair.

F&F 2 pack of unisex school pique polo shits - bought the largest age for my nephew who is a large almost 16 year old. They were just a little too small, so will be returned I'm afraid. The quality looks good though. He goes through clothes really quickly, so I would not be worried if they did not last too long.

F&F 7 pair pack of fresh feel ankle socks - great value and would highly reccommend.

I also got ds some boxer shorts to make up to £25 voucher.
The rest of the vouchers will be used over the coming weeks - I think I need to experiment a bit with various school trousers to find the perfect fit. I am also hoping that there will be a larger selection of school coats soon.

If I'm really honest, I don't think that I had high expectations. Perhaps unfairly I was not really convinced that the quality would be all that great.

I have been surprised and would definately buy again. Even though it has been too warm for ds to wear the trousers, I have washed them twice and they are looking good. The shirts are thinner, but not so thin that I would avoid in the future, will stock up on more of these before term starts.

Underwear - well you can't really go wrong with Tesco - ds loves his Monsters Inc boxershorts!

The trousers were Teflon coated and look good. As I said, the weather has been too warm to wear, so can't coment on stain removal. I think the real test is going to be how the knees hold up and if they go a lighter colour after only a few wears (which is what happened with last two pairs of M&S trousers)

The shirts are not Teflon coated and I have had a bit of a problem with staining from suntan cream, particualy around the collar, but this has happened on other shirts too, so can't blame Tesco.

What I would really like to see is slim fit trousers. I think it's great that you have longer lenght trousers, but a slim fit product would really add to the range.
I am planning to experiment a bit with buying some longer length in a younger age.
I am really hoping that you will soon have some more school coats.

The website is fine to browse, but actually adding items into my basket took forever and was really frustrating.

The shirts that I wanted to get for DD were out of stock, but these will be purchased very soon.

Yes, I would recommend, and have already spoken to several friends about the products we have tried.

On another note, I am a school governor (with responsiblity for things such as uniform) and the shade of grey in the trousers is exactly right for our boys, at a fraction of the cost of the official school uniform shop ones. I would feel very comfortable reccommending to our parents.

Thank you MN and Tesco for picking me to try out the uniform, I look forward to spending the rest of the vouchers very soon.

mimitwo Fri 26-Jul-13 22:52:39

Thanks so much for choosing us to test the uniform...

I bought polo shirts, culottes, a dress, jersey cardigans, socks and sports shorts.

The uniform all looked fabulous and the girls said it felt comfortable too. Such amazing value for money too.

i found it all came up quite large and the culottes particularly so - my 9 year old fits into her 7 year old sister's pair comfortably. The jersey cardigans washed so well, I was really surprised and pleased at how they kept their shape too.

The polos shrunk a teeny bit in the wash but no more than any others I have had to be honest.

The socks are brilliant value and really great quality too.

It would be really nice to have had the choice of more cotton Summer dresses as my girls prefer those and even though they need ironing this does not put a lot of people off.

I have recommended F&F uniform to friends and would happily continue to do so. I will admit that I have not bought much of it before as I have stuck to other brands (which are more pricey) but I am now a convert.

loubielou31 Thu 25-Jul-13 21:49:50

I've just noticed I did buy some teflon coated stuff. I didn't realise at first so it obviously isn't noticeable in a bad way. The items feel a bit stiffer that the other things. It washed and ironed really easily and it's the permapleat skirts which did stay in and were easy to iron so I guess it's doing it's job.

And having complained in my previous post about the fit of the Jersey Cardigans DD really likes them, I still wish they were a little longer in the body though.

I bought a selection of the white polo shirts. They do 3 types, a basics at 75p, and 2 different 2 packs at £2. I only spent £25 on this first lot but now I know they fit I am going to buy an absolute ton of them for next year as ds goes through them like there's no tomorrow. We also went for pants and socks. I thought these were all really good value, since he is only 5 and they are white they don't last long before they are filthy beyond redemption.

Yes. DS only started reception in September so I only have this year to go by where we have had white polo shirts from M&S and John Lewis. These seem to be just as good. The sizing seemed to come up larger than the others we have but this is a good thing in my opinion. DS is skinny but tall so this worked well (and kept him a little bit cooler in this heat). The quality of the material and sewing is much the same as the others I have so no issues from me there.

He gets to wear jeans/ jean shorts to school so we didn't test these. If they manage to make white polo shirts that stay clean then let me know!

Not so far!

Yes I think so, the price is good and the quality is ok too.

TimrousBeastie Thu 25-Jul-13 20:33:06

Q1 Which items from the range did you buy and how much did you spend? Would you say this was good value for money or not?Q2 Did the overall quality of the school uniforms match your expectations? If so, how? If not, why not?

2 pack boys sports shirts- great quality thick material than what i was expecting
6 packs girls and boys polo shirts-good quality washes well
unisex school t shirts great for the price
2 pack boys school trousers forgot to check if the were adjustable waist which they aren't but aren't too big and perfect length
single pleat school skirt for 1.75 was impressed with quality-def better than i was expecting
basic boys school trousers same as the basic skirt better than expected
fresh feel ankle socks
girls school joggers actually fitted dd- she has very long legs and usually struggle to find trousers that fit
2 permanent pleat school skirt-great length, good quality
pleated school culottes- dd hates culottes but she likes these
boys cargo shorts- bit thinner and lighter than i was expecting but still good quality

spent 65 and for the amount i received, I would consider it good value for money

like the teflon coat, the muddy knees washed of easily, I presume it would be more durable than other fabric

would be good if all grey items were the same shade of grey but its not that important

yes would recommend to anyone

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now