This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you'd like test a product on Mumsnet please mail insight@mumsnet.com.

F&F School Uniform feedback thread

(134 Posts)
MichelleMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 16-Jul-13 12:03:31

This thread is for the 100 MNers who have been trying out the new school uniform range from F&F.

Here's what they say about the range: "At F&F we're really proud of the value and quality of our products and have spent the last year really improving our schoolwear range. Our schoolwear offering, which is available online all year round, is designed to last. With features including Teflon® fabric protector across skirts, trousers and pinafores, we believe that we've made it easier to get those stains out. Also, we've included adjustable waistbands to ensure a more comfortable fit for your children that will also help the items last that little bit longer as they grow. Finally, we've helped reduce the ironing with our permanent pleats in skirts."

Below are a couple of questions for you to answer, but please also feel free to add any other comments you may also have.

Q1 Which items from the range did you buy and how much did you spend? Would you say this was good value for money or not?

Q2 Did the overall quality of the school uniforms match your expectations? If so, how? If not, why not?

Q3 If you bought any Teflon® coated fabric, did you like or dislike it? Did you notice any difference to the uniform staying clean at all? Did the fabric help when trying to get stains out? Do you think the fabric is likely to be more or less durable than other school uniform fabric?

Q4 Do you have any other feedback that could help F&F improve their schoolwear again next year?

Q5 Finally, if it came up in conversation would you recommend F&F schoolwear range to friends or family? If so, why? If not, why not?

Thanks,

Michelle @ MNHQ

SparkyTGD Mon 05-Aug-13 11:51:42

Think I am too late but have been on hols & didn't realise thread would close so soon (plus waiting for the rest of my order)

Q1 Which items from the range did you buy and how much did you spend? Would you say this was good value for money or not?

I bought various sizes of 2 packs boys school trousers (8-9) (9-10) (10-11)

Unisex V-neck school jumper

Boys school track pants (still need to buy more sizes, too big)

1 pair of sandals for myself

I spent £50 so far, good value for money, usually buy M&S so definitely cheaper.

Q2 Did the overall quality of the school uniforms match your expectations? If so, how? If not, why not?

Quality seems good, didn't shrink at all in wash. But sizes came up very big (DS is tall so usually have to take older sizes). Was disappointed there were no flat front trousers because they are less bulky than the pleat front ones.

An added note, my sandals came with a broken strap so that was very poor sad

Q3 If you bought any Teflon® coated fabric, did you like or dislike it? Did you notice any difference to the uniform staying clean at all? Did the fabric help when trying to get stains out? Do you think the fabric is likely to be more or less durable than other school uniform fabric?

I did buy Teflon coated trousers but think its too early to say if this will help with stain resistance (he won't wear them in the holidays!). They seemed fine though and not excessively hard. The stiffness should hopefully help them last longer.

Q4 Do you have any other feedback that could help F&F improve their schoolwear again next year?

Flat fronted trousers needed. Ordering on website was difficult when using in-private browsing but fine on normal (must be to do with cookies, I think).

Q5 Finally, if it came up in conversation would you recommend F&F schoolwear range to friends or family? If so, why? If not, why not?

Yes, good price, quality seems fine.

Will be able to give better feedback after a longer product test, not really long enough to assess how well the clothes last.

SparkyTGD Mon 05-Aug-13 11:53:20

ps it would have been useful to have a date that feedback was needed by.

Sparky, I think they said 24th on the original thread. I was a day or so late myself I believe because in my head the 24th was a Friday blush.

Lilyloo Mon 05-Aug-13 21:47:32

Anyone else have problems with the white frill ankle socks. They seemed ok when worn once at school, even then she didn't wear all of them. But they seem to be falling apart, the frills are all coming away from the sock?

vincenta Mon 12-Aug-13 19:55:42

I just wanted to add that boys white socks and grey socks washes well and looks great for that price it is fantastic value for money! I like when my son weras white socks and every mum knows that boys are so messysmile
Even at 40 degree wash white socks are white again! Well done Tesco! Will definitely buy more socks in future!
By the way school trousers washes well and ironing is very easy! we attended relatives wedding and my son wear school trousers as they looked so smart!

DearlyDepartedMrsFinch Sun 01-Sep-13 22:27:27

Having bought another few things from Tesco I feel compelled to add more feedback.

Two main points:

1. online stock was dreadful. I struggled to get a few things for my first order at the end of July and really struggled last week. In fact, there was so little stock available that I ended up spending £30 at Asda instead. This experience really affects my opinions on internet shopping at Tesco in the future.

2. I ordered girls size 7-8 yrs pique polo shirts in white (2 pack; buy one give one), stated height is 128cm. I also ordered unisex size 7-8 yrs polo shirts in blue, stated height 128cm. However, the discrepancy in size was OUTRAGEOUS - at least 4 cm longer length in the unisex, about 3 cm either side of the chest wider, and much longer sleeves. Simply ridiculous. And really, really, really, really annoying.

Why would the unisex be so much bigger? Are boys taller at this age? No. Are they wider at this age? No. Do they have much longer arms? No. Utterly frustrating. I will NOT buy any more polo shirts from Tesco for precisely this reason.

LovesBeingHereAgain Tue 26-Nov-13 18:20:19

Has anyone else had a problem with tge Teflon washing off? Tge pleats are no longer staying and am having to triton them everyday.

Peaches66 Fri 29-Nov-13 21:39:07

- I bought the embroidery service cardigan, polo shirts and book bag. I think the cardio and polo shirts are good value, however the book bag is not. This is the 3rd book bag I've bought, and I don't believe it to be the last and my dd is only in year 1.

- initially the feel and quality of the garments are fine. After a few washes, the deep colours fade. I have to buy burgundy. The book bag however disintegrates very quickly! The coating flakes off and holes appear in the corners of the bag. Coating material probably degrades because of the material used.... They need to look into a more stable material as the book bag needs to be hard wearing. I don't think it's fit for purpose.

- I think that the Teflon coated is a good thing. Stains do release. And I think that the garments are more durable. Can the Teflon coat white polo shirts?

- put reinforcements not the lower corners of the book bags! I have no choice where I buy my embroidered items from, so I'd like my comments to be noted. I don't need to buy two or more bags a year... That's just poor quality.

- for the majority of the range I would. Price and quality is good. For the products that I can't get anywhere else I wouldn't. I wish I had more choice. Then retailers would be fighting for customer share by improving customer experience of quality.

skyeskyeskye Thu 12-Dec-13 21:09:54

I was recently given a second hand school pinafore for DD from Next. It has a zip under the arm on one side which makes getting the pinafore on, so much easier. My comment was that DD struggles to get on pinafores that are even 2 sizes bigger.

Perhaps that is something that Tesco could consider? a zip under the arm?

Other than that, the uniform is washing and wearing very well and the pinafores never need ironing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now