This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you'd like test a product on Mumsnet please mail insight@mumsnet.com.

F&F School Uniform feedback thread

(134 Posts)
MichelleMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 16-Jul-13 12:03:31

This thread is for the 100 MNers who have been trying out the new school uniform range from F&F.

Here's what they say about the range: "At F&F we're really proud of the value and quality of our products and have spent the last year really improving our schoolwear range. Our schoolwear offering, which is available online all year round, is designed to last. With features including Teflon® fabric protector across skirts, trousers and pinafores, we believe that we've made it easier to get those stains out. Also, we've included adjustable waistbands to ensure a more comfortable fit for your children that will also help the items last that little bit longer as they grow. Finally, we've helped reduce the ironing with our permanent pleats in skirts."

Below are a couple of questions for you to answer, but please also feel free to add any other comments you may also have.

Q1 Which items from the range did you buy and how much did you spend? Would you say this was good value for money or not?

Q2 Did the overall quality of the school uniforms match your expectations? If so, how? If not, why not?

Q3 If you bought any Teflon® coated fabric, did you like or dislike it? Did you notice any difference to the uniform staying clean at all? Did the fabric help when trying to get stains out? Do you think the fabric is likely to be more or less durable than other school uniform fabric?

Q4 Do you have any other feedback that could help F&F improve their schoolwear again next year?

Q5 Finally, if it came up in conversation would you recommend F&F schoolwear range to friends or family? If so, why? If not, why not?

Thanks,

Michelle @ MNHQ

mintyneb Mon 22-Jul-13 14:10:41

1. I bought 3 packs of girls polo shirts age 6-7 and 1 pack of polo shirts age 7-8; 1 pair girls jersey trousers; 2 x jersey skirt and 1 x kilt skirt. I also bought a Regatta raincoat (for walking to school in) for £20, which is obviously not own brand clothing but was great to be able to buy alongside school uniform.

I would have spent much more if there was a wider choice of clothes. My DD has her heart set on a traditional style duffel coat for this winter but there wasn't one on offer. I wanted to get her some woolly black tights but the only black ones available were thick dernier more like grown up tights. There were woolly grey tights available though? I wanted to try the Fairtrade polo shirts but there weren't any in the right size. I do think it was good value for money though.

2. the quality was as I expected. there did appear to be some sizing issues though. The pack of age 7-8 polo shirts I got were different sizes (comes as a two pack). One polo shirt was exactly the same size as the age 6-7 polo shirts and the other was actually smaller! the waistbands on the two styles of skirt I bought (both being for the same age 6 -7) were completely different. The jersey one fits beautifully on my 6.4 yo DD and will expand further. the kilt skirt is far too big round the waist but when you draw in the adjustment so its the right size, because the material is quite stiff the waistband is really badly gathered up and the pleats don't work. I will have to put it aside until next year when she gets bigger.

3. I didn't buy any Teflon coated clothes.

4. I would like to see all the skirts offered in all colours. My DDs school has black skirts or trousers but you only have a limited choice of black skirts - which is different to the choice if I had to buy blue. doesn't make sense? if you make grey woolly tights, why can't you make them in black? Also, you seem to have most colours of summer dresses (which can be worn at DDs school up to the Oct half term) but not yellow which is what I need. I would also like to see more variety of winter coats. I would like the waistbands of the skirts to be similar across the range, the diameter of the two sorts I bought were massively different. Make sure the full range of sizes is available at peak times!

5. I would recommend the Tesco range but with the proviso that where possible they check out the goods in store first. I do think they are value for money - what has been worn so far has washed well - and are certainly no worse than other supermarket branded uniform. but the sizing is a little erratic

dontmeanto Mon 22-Jul-13 15:19:33

Q1

I bought jumpers, polos, trousers, shorts, and pants. All excellent value for money!

Q2

The quality is great! Definitely on par with other uniform stuff bought elsewhere. The red jumpers and polos have kept their colour nicely and nothing has shrunk.

Q3

I bought trousers coated in Teflon and yes, they are easier to clean and get stains out. Sometimes you can just sponge off a stain without having to throw them in the wash, which saves on bills.

Q4

Only that they should have more online stock as previous posters have said. It's quite a lengthy process to go through all the way to the confirmation page just to be told some items aren't available.

Q5

Would definitely recommend to friends and have done, as someone at school asked me where I had bought DS' v-neck jumper!

TallyGrenshall Mon 22-Jul-13 15:23:51

Q1- I bought 2 packs of polo shirts, 2 pairs of trousers and 2 pairs of shorts which came to £25. I think it is great value for money.

Q2- The quality overall is good, the hems on the trouser legs are a little loose. I bought uniform from Tesco last year and I would say it's about the same, can't see any obvious improvements. The fit is really good for DS because he is a skinny thing and I usually have trouble getting trousers long enough but still fit a tiny waist and the shirts are a good length.

Q3- The teflon coating on the shorts is a bit horrible tbh. They feel really plastic and quite stiff but DS wasn't bothered by them and some spag bol sauce came out in a normal wash as well so it does it's job.

Q4- Apart from the teflon on the shorts, I think it's a good range and great value for money.

Q5- I would recommend the range because it is well priced, I'm hoping it lasts well because although it has had a few washes, it's too early to comment on that.

HeySoulSister Mon 22-Jul-13 16:17:11

Q1 Which items from the range did you buy and how much did you spend? Would you say this was good value for money or not?

bought school shirts,school polo tops,socks,trousers,shorts and sweatshirts. all in sizes 6-7,11-12 and 15-16. absolutely great value for money!!

Q2 Did the overall quality of the school uniforms match your expectations? If so, how? If not, why not?

yes! washed well and kept shape with no shrinking. good material quality and good waist adjusters...not every supplier has these

Q3 If you bought any Teflon® coated fabric, did you like or dislike it? Did you notice any difference to the uniform staying clean at all? Did the fabric help when trying to get stains out? Do you think the fabric is likely to be more or less durable than other school uniform fabric?

didn't buy Teflon coated items

Q4 Do you have any other feedback that could help F&F improve their schoolwear again next year?

the only comment I have here is why stop at age 15-16? kids these days are bigger (my son is 14 and fits your largest size) and they are also now required to stay on an extra year. is it fair we have to shop in an adult range for young teens?

Q5 Finally, if it came up in conversation would you recommend F&F schoolwear range to friends or family? If so, why? If not, why not?

yes,and I already have done. its affordable and has a good range.

jenni75 Mon 22-Jul-13 18:37:35

Boys 2 pack easy iron short sleeve shirts x 3
Girls 2 pack easy iron short sleeve shirts x1
2 pack of boys front pleat trousers x 2
Girls bootleg trousers x 2
7 pack of girls pants

Used 2 vouchers so far, spent £50.50, am going to spend the rest on more uniform, now I have an idea of sizes.
I would say yes, good value for money.

Yes, very pleased with the quality, especially the shirts, have hung the shirts up to dry on a hanger after washing them, they have washed well.

Bought teflon coated trousers, I liked them, they didn't seem to attract stains and have washed well.

Yes, would like to see girls school shorts in their range (not PE ones), girls cullottes, more range of socks - especially black ones, maybe tank tops.

Yes I would recommend the F & F range, affordable and washes well.

Queen0fFeckingEverything Mon 22-Jul-13 19:03:41

I bought... 2 navy polo shirts, 3 different pairs of school trousers (2 of the longer leg length and one standard because DD wanted some with a star charm on!), 1 scallop neck cardigan, 1 normal cardigan, 1 school jumper, 1 pair of school shoes, 1 pair of PE trousers, 1 PE zip up hoodie, and some socks. Will have to check the receipt to see exactly what it came to but it was everything we needed for next year and competitively priced.

The quality seems very good so far - everything has been washed, nothing has run or shrunk - which is a good sign! Not yet sure how well it will stand uo to repeated wear and washing though as we've only had it a week.

I didn't buy anything Teflon coated - I try to go for natural fibres without special coatings wherever possible.

I'd really like to see a lot more Fairtrade marked stuff in the range. It makes me quite uneasy to think of how its manufactured in order that it can be sold so cheaply, and that would give me confidence that it was more ethical than other brands. If there was a competitively priced and easily accessible Fairtrade cotton uniform range then I'd buy it without a doubt even if it was a couple of pounds more per item than non Fairtrade ranges.

Otherwise I was realy pleased with everything - the sizing seemed fine, especially the long length trousers which were great, I usually end up taking in the waist of all DD's school trousers!

Yes, I would if it came up. The long length trousers are something I've already mentioned to someone I know who has a tall skinny DD smile

Picturesinthefirelight Mon 22-Jul-13 19:04:34

Q1
Bought 2x boys shirts
2x girls blouses
2x pleat front grey trousers
Grey 60 denier opaque tights
Grey microfibres tights
I couldn't get any skirts as they have to come from the school
I spent £26.50. I've ordered more stuff but it hasn't come yet. I would have expected that amount if items to come to much more.

I thought everything seemed very thin, the shirts were very thin and the trousers looked like they were faded already.
Dd didn't like the blouses, she said the necks felt funny, & got sweaty easily she's used to the quite formal style M&S ones and she struggled to get her tie neat with the shape of the collar. Ds's shirts were far too big and they didn't have any in the size down. The grey opaque tights which were ladies were nice & comfy but the microfibres ones were way to small and dd is a smallish 11 year old in only a size 1.5 foot. In general it was very cheap but it felt cheap & I'd prefer to pay more for better quality. It no where near matched the quality of the M&S uniform they usually wear but also wasn't as good quality as Asda which is cheaper.

Q3 Didn't notice any difference

Better quality material

No I wouldn't unless it was an emergency eg they needed something cheap at the end if term before they were changing schools for example.

UniS Mon 22-Jul-13 20:22:13

Polo shirts- 2 pack blue
Shorts - cargo with fairtrade cotton - 2 of
Trousers, pleat front - 2 of
Zip up hoody - 1 of
Cost in the region of 25 quid, but I'm not exactly sure as customer services had to help after much of my order was cancelled, items were substituted with things of a different price. Resulting in same number of items but less fair trade cotton, more long trousers, fewer shorts & neither the shorts or trousers DS liked the look of.

Quality was much as I expected for supermarket prices I forgot the navy hoody might leak dye and sadly it stained a multi colour top in the same wash load. The fair trade cotton items come out of the wash looking more creased than more poly polycotton shorts do, but I think that is to be expected from the fabric. The polo shirts looked very bright before they were washed and line dried, they are now the same pale blue as his older blue polo shirts and I can't tell which are which with out looking at labels.

Yes, but the weather has been warm to wear the long trousers so performance is unknown. The fairtrade cotton shorts get grubby very quickly. The weather may be a factor in this too as the boy will have been on the field for a hour at lunch and in eth park for 30 mins on the way home .

Improve that website. For an online shop it was slow and clunky.
Cargo style trousers were a look that my son really liked, he was disappointed that they had sold out and he was unable to have some.

Yes, the prices were reasonable and the clothes fit well. The boy finds them comfortable and likes the styles shown on website.

beanandspud Mon 22-Jul-13 21:45:54

I bought long-sleeved shirts, shorts, trousers, socks, vests, a cagoule. Spent approximately £100 and it felt like very good value.

The shirts are great, they wash well and don't look any different from M&S or Next. The sizing is quite generous. Socks also washed well although it remains to be seen how white the sports socks are after a term. Grey socks good value and so far have kept their shape. Haven't really worn the vests as it's too hot, they've washed ok the first time but don't look like they'll keep their shape very long. Shorts and trousers both seem good quality although they are a much darker grey than I expected.

Shorts and trousers were Teflon. They feel ok but I hope they will soften a little after a couple of washes. TBH it's not the stains that are a problem on school trousers, more the fact that DS goes through the knees.

As another poster said, a plain winter coat would have been a good addition to the range. And trousers with reinforced knees!

Yes, I would recommend on the basis of this short test - ask me again at Christmas when the clothes have had a proper battering. It's good value and the service was very good.

IsotopeMe Mon 22-Jul-13 23:36:50

We bought six boys shirts for each dc, so twelve in all. Very good vale for money, I thought. We will buy the rest f the uniform closer to September as older dc is currently going through a growth spurt and likely to grow out of any trousers bought now!

Yes, very good quality and look quite smart. No noticeable difference to more expensive brands. All shirts washed well, apart form some residual sun cream staining, which is not a problem for most of the school year tbh!

Not applicable.

Maybe adjustable waists? My boys don't need it but I know friends have trouble finding them for older dc who are skinny but tall or any other combination!

Yes, we already have! I told everyone the boys were wearing new shirts and asked what they thought of the look and feel etc. all were very positive in their responses. smile

Thank you so much for this opportunity!

GladbagsGold Tue 23-Jul-13 00:15:46

Hello, thank you Mumsnet and Tesco for running this test.

permanent pleat school pinafore
3 pack of temp control super soft tights
7 pack of boys fresh feel socks
5 pair white ankle socks
boys easy iron short sleeve shirt
girls easy iron revere collar short sleeve shirt
girls plaited waistband trousers
fairtrade signature cargo shorts
cuffed school joggers
boys 5 pocket school trousers
zip through hoodie
boys pleat front school trousers
boys longer length pleat front school trousers

I also bought a dress for me and a shirt for DH in the sale and spent exactly £100 - good value for money.

permanent pleat school pinafore: YES
Nice style, nice fabric, DD has worn it and loves it

3 pack of temp control super soft tights: YES
very soft

7 pack of boys fresh feel socks: YES
great having size inside

5 pair white ankle socks: YES
perfect length, most socks too long for DD's liking

boys easy iron short sleeve shirt: NO
The sleeves are really short (or the body is really long) - they look really odd when DS is wearing them. They haven't washed well and one wasn't properly stitched on the shoulder.

girls easy iron revere collar short sleeve shirt: NO
DD got her shirt mucky and it won't wash clean despite vanish etc, when her previous shirts have had the same muck and same washing and have come out clean. The collars are a pain to iron - somehow they are baggy like one side has more fabric than the other.

girls plaited waistband trousers: NO
Very soft, and bought because they are the only girls trousers with real (not pointless 'mock') pockets. But the material is really thin; they are not going to be warm enough. Plus the thick waistband detail means they will take longer to dry on radiator in emergency! Not very practical.

fairtrade signature cargo shorts: NO
Unfortunately these are ridiculously baggy on DS.

cuffed school joggers: NO
They are not the same navy colour/fabric as the navy hoodie.

boys 5 pocket school trousers: YES
Bought these for DD as girls trouser range a bit limited. These are really smart and comfortable and practical - we both love them.

zip through hoodie: NO
I bought this for DS to grow into. Well the arms fit him perfectly now but the body is like a dress!

boys pleat front school trousers: YES
They are ok - not great as fairly baggy.

boys longer length pleat front school trousers: YES
Very nice shade of grey and not too baggy for once!

Yes - my iron squirted limescale on some of the uniform and it just wiped off the Teflon items. Brilliant!

1. Do a range for slim boys with normal length arms?!
2. Everything already said about improving the website. I'd have gone elsewhere if I was a normal shopper rather than doing this test.
3. Better trousers for girls. Girls need pockets too!

Some particular items, yes, but as an overall range, no. The fit is just too unpredictable.

vincenta Tue 23-Jul-13 05:01:46

Which items from the range did you buy and how much did you spend? Would you say this was good value for money or not?

I bought white and grey socks, combat boys shorts, polo shirts, white tshirt,black and grey trousers, leather school shoes.I spend 100.25 £ All clothes mostly 3-4 years and 4-5 years.
Yes, definitely this is good value for money, especially shoes,they cost 15 £ and it is half of price Clarks shoes.
I loved shorts, they looked so smart, was just right lenght and right colour, not too dark or too light.Polo shirts with 3 buttons looked also good. My son especially liked those three button thing as his previous polo shirts got only 2 buttons.Also 5 white cost price was 1,50 £ which is very cheap,as socks washes well.I should add that after wash with eco washing powder they didn't looked so white and clean but after my usual laundry detergent they come out white and clean as new.

Overall I am very impressed with quality and prices,especially I liked
school socks.Fantastic price and great quality, washes well.
My boy is slim that's why adjustable waist was very handy in most trousers and shorts.

I bought Teflon coated trousers, I washed them,as I usually wash all new clothes but didn't have chance to check out how good they are for messy boys.It was very hot and my son was wearing shorts all the time. However trousers look good, washes well and I think they will last.

Q4 Do you have any other feedback that could help F&F improve their school wear again next year?

First of all I would advice to introduce smaller size of polo shirts too. Now the smallest size is for 104 cm it is 3-4 years,It would be great if there would be 2-3 years for 98 cm Now of course polo shirts 3-4 years are okey for my son but in September when I bought school uniform, this age gap was so huge and I choose Sainsbury's because they have polo shirts for 2-3 years.My son is 4 now but he is little bit shorter and very slim for his age.
Also I wasn't impressed ith value range, my husband suggested to try value range and see difference.
I bought 3 pairs of value range trousers and 3 polo shirts.
Trousers and polo are thinner than non value school trousers and polos which isn't bad. Especially when weather is warn but still not so hot for shorts.
However I was dissapointed with sizing.Value polo shirt and trousers were bigger and longer than non value trousers and polo shirts.Looked very baggy and is not best buy for slim kids.Also there wasn't adjustable waist band and trousers just fall of my son's bottom. Would not buy value range because sizing is very generous.
Also I loved hooks on my sons' combat shorts,they are the same one which we have in our school trousers from Debenhams, very easy to close and open.I didn't liked some of hooks from school trousers, little bit tricky to close

Yes ,I definitely would reccomend Tesco clothing to friends and family, because clothes looks good, washes well and price is affordable. I would not reccomend value range clothes for parents with slim kids as those are wider and longer than no value ones.
Also I want to add that last September we bought embroided jumpers.Fantastic service, great quality, washed well. Looked nearly new at the end of school.Price was much cheaper than in other unifrom shop. Was very impressed! It is a pity that this year we ca order our new school Jumpers from Tesco.
Also I bought myself multiway bra (6 £) It is fantastic,even without straps it stay in place and looks awesome. I tried lot of multiway bras before and thought that I will end up splashing over 30 £ to buy wonderbra,But no. It was fantastic purchase,for that price quality is great!
I din't have any problems with website, all my ordered items were in stock and was delivered to store.Very easy to use and convenient!
Thank's again Mumsnet and Tesco for fantastic opportunity to try school clothes!

squirkle Tue 23-Jul-13 13:41:21

3x 2 pack of white polo shirts (2boys, 1 girls) grey shorts, blue gingham (zip up) summer dresses, 5 pack of white socks with blue edging, 5 pack of grey socks, 2x navy blue PE jogging bottoms (1boys, 1 girls)

Spent £53, could of spent more but many items were out of stock in the correct sizes as were the correct coloured PE shorts. will be spending the remainder of the vouchers on winter uniform (trousers and pinafores) when the sizes are available again.

Yes the quality of the items I bought was good. All items that were worn have been washed several times and are still in good condition although they have only had just over 1 weeks wear, due to the end of term. I was particularly impressed with the thickness of the fabric on the summer dresses as often girl's clothes are made to be less hard wearing than boy's.
the socks also have so far not shrunk or become 'tight feeling' which is a common problem but these also have not been washed very many times as yet.

Unfortunately my daughter refused to wear the polo shirts as they 'felt too scratchy' (sensory processing disorder) but I will try them again next term when she can wear a vest underneath. My son wore his however with no problems except for a small hole in one shirt due to a scissor accident!

I don't remember specifically choosing any Teflon coated uniform, but I did notice that the shorts appeared to stay cleaner and could actually be worn 2 days in a row before washing. I will definitely look out for some trousers like this in future.

I am always surprised that no one stocks shirts, especially in the smaller sizes, that have an alternative to buttons as fasteners. I know several parents with children who are unable to do up buttons and some have had to adapt shirts (e.g adding Velcro) If you were to sell products like this, I think many people would buy them as it would fill an existing gap in the market.

Yes I would recommend it to friends and family as I found it good value for money and it appears to be quite durable so far. I was quite interested in the School logo embroidery service offered on your website as my children's school wear only jumpers/cardigans and also PE tops with school logo on. I think I may suggest that they sign up for this service at the next parent forum meeting as I think it is a very good option to have available.

SylviaDaisyPouncer Tue 23-Jul-13 14:03:57

Q1. I bought the packs of long sleeved white easy iron shirts, 2 packs of Teflon front pleat black trousers and a black unisex v neck jumper. Total £35. I felt this was good value.

Q2. The products were better quality than I expected, the trousers and shirts were thicker than I expected. The jumper looked very smart, though it came out of the wash very creased. I think this was due to it being 100% cotton (a positive as usually for this price they are acrylic). A quick iron sorted it. The items were easy to iron and washed easily.

Q3. Yes I bought the trousers. The fabric felt very thick (as opposed to being flimsy). Any stains have come out in a normal wash. I am hopeful they will last through the school year.

Q4. I had to go a size up for my son (a tall 12 year old), but this was fine as the adjustable waistband allowed for his long legs and small waist. I felt there was a good choice of uniform across the board and nice to see the sizes going up to 16 years at a low cost. I didn't look for blazers as I don't need to get a new one this year, but if Tesco don't currently stock perhaps this could be looked into.

Q5. Yes I would recommend. The wide range of uniform covers all school ages and is very well priced. The quality is good and hopefully it will last. I would also recommend ordering online, very quick and easy, plus a missed pair of shorts were delivered the following day. Very impressed.

Thank you Tesco and MN for letting me take part!

ksld Tue 23-Jul-13 14:37:59

Firstly thank you so much Mumsnet and Tesco for letting me try the school uniform.

3 packs of white polo shirts. 2 trousers, 4 shorts, school shoes, trainer liners.
Spent £53. Rest is saved for Winter coats come September - I would have bought them now but nothing in stock.
Very good value for money.

I did not have very high expectations to be honest as some of the items were so cheap. Polo shirts are very thin fine for summer season, not much warmth in them for winter. The trousers and shorts are a bit shiny which I don't like much. The shoes are surprisingly sturdy for £10 and comparable to Clarks £40 ones which were worn out. Obviously only been worn 7 days now so can't comment on how long lasting they are. Trainer liners are very thin fabric too and 2 already have holes in.

The shorts and trousers still look as new after being worn every school day since I got them (7 or 8 days I think?) so not really a very long test.
The polo shirts have all shrunk in the wash - not by much and think it was only in the first wash they shrunk.

Trousers are in Teflon coated fabric, not sure about shorts. Just been to look and no idea as nothing on label. If the shorts are as well then that could be the reason for the shiny fabric in which case I don't like it as it looks cheap. However anything that helps with keeping muddy/grassy knees clean is a bonus. I have previously had Marks and Spencer uniform with their stain protection and that has been very good.

The size difference in the polo shirts was very very small. I ordered 7-8 and 8-9 for my small 8 year old. The bigger size was only 1cm longer and 1cm wider so if the smaller ones had been tight the bigger ones would have been as well. Luckily the sizes are generous and 7-8 fits him with room to spare.

I bought uniform on line as my nearest Tesco that stocks uniform is 15 miles away. When I looked there were about 5 lots of 'Boys pleat front school trousers' with no discernible difference between them. Looking now there is even more choice. The ones I bought - I went for cheapest are exactly the same but although both 'grey' one is shiny and one almost black. Some sort of streamlining of the different sorts of trousers would be helpful, or some description of what makes them different. And if all the 'grey' trousers could be the same colour that would help. If I wanted to order another of the grey coloured ones now I wouldn't know which ones to order.

It's probably not very helpful to put this but I really prefer to buy uniform/all clothes when I can see and feel the fabric. Over the previous years I have bought uniform as and when needed with my supermarket shopping from my most local supermarket. I can't see myself making a special trip to Tesco just for school uniform so if you can expand the number of stores that stock uniform that would be great - I prefer if it is available all year round.

I would completely recommend purely for the price. I have previously bought uniform from M&S and Tesco prices are loads cheaper. However I would add the proviso that Tesco uniform is not of comparable quality. Lots of my previous uniform is now being worn daily by a third boy and is still perfectly good. If Tesco lasts that long I will be back in 4 years or so to let you know!

imawigglyworm Tue 23-Jul-13 14:53:43

I brought pique polo shirts, trousers, socks and leather shoes for my older 2 DS's and some polo shirts for my youngest DS, this all came to about £85 which I thought was good value for money.

They all looked good quality, made with thick durable materials used. They washed well (All had about 1 cm of shrinkage after a couple of washes which I think is very good - nothing worse than buying new school clothes for them to shrink after the first few washes!). They all wash & ironed well.
The shoes looked very good quality too. They were a bit stiff when they put them on but most new shoes are. Im hoping that they will last my boys a good few months.

The only issue I have with the trousers is they are quite narrow around the ankle but that's just my preference.

I always try and buy Teflon coated clothes for my boys as I believe they last longer and stay cleaner for longer.
DS2 is very rough and tumble and by far the messiest out of my boys, his Teflon trousers were changed and washed daily as they were usually covered in dirt by the end of the day. Every time they were washed they came out as clean as when we brought them.
Its hard to tell if all the stains came out as they are dark grey trousers but I don't have any complaints smile

When going through the ordering process it let me place the order but then I received an email to say items weren't in stock. This is a bit disappointing as being a busy mum you want it done quickly with as little fuss as possible and its a bit annoying when you think you've finally ordered everything to then be told items are no longer in stock. I know a few other mumsnetters had a similar problem. But maybe the high usage was the reason for this.

I would recommend F&F as I feel that the clothes I ordered were good quality and at a good price. They arrived quickly. I love the 'buy one donate one' offer on the polo shirts where every pack brought one gets donated to a child in a needing country.
BUT I probably would mention the stock issues too and hope that it probably was a one off.

notso Tue 23-Jul-13 15:27:54

I bought 2 packs of short sleeved shirts and a pair of trousers for DD and PE shorts, 2 packs of buy 1 donate 1 polo tops, 2 value polo tops, a pair of trousers, a 2 pack of school shorts and a pack of socks for DS1. I spent £50.25 I would have spent more but was unsure about sizes, if we could exchange and lots of items I wanted were out of stock. It seemed a lot for £50.

I have had bad experience with Tesco uniform before so my expectations were very low.
I was impressed with the buy 1 donate 1 polo tops, they have washed well and he says they are nice and soft inside. He already had Asda ones and Next ones already and they are much better quality than the Asda, comparable to the Next ones which are much higher in price.
I thought the shorts were good quality for the money, they washed well and stains sponged off well. I didn't like the feel or look of them though, they had a strange shiny look which made them look cheap.
The boys trousers were again, cheap looking. They didn't fit as well as the more expensive brands I usually buy. I would have preferred to try the signature trousers.
Was disappointed with the PE shorts they were very thin and I can't understand why they are in packs of 2 (not just Tesco though) My son only brings his PE kit home in school holidays and never needs more than 1 pair of cheap nasty shorts!
Value polos seemed good but were as I expected too good to be true, very thin and went shapeless pretty quickly. I will be saving these to use in the cold weather when his jumper is always on.
The short sleeved school shirts for DD were a bit thin again and she felt they were shapeless. She liked the pockets but still would rather M&S shirts.
Disappointed with the trousers for DD they looked so slim on the picture and in reality they were huge. The fabric felt nice though.

The trousers and shorts I bought for my son were teflon coated I found they could be sponged clean, after a yogurt spillage in the morning. Grass and mud washed off easily. They did feel thick so I would imagine they would be hard wearing.

More choice for older children. The trousers 13 year old DD wanted didn't go to her size. There seemed to be plenty of choice for young girls, pretty tops, cardigans, flowery features on skirts and trousers etc but just bog standard boring shirts and trousers for older girls. Fitted shirts and trousers suitable for secondary age girls please.
It was great to see different leg lengths but, not available for my childrens sizes. I would like to see different fits for skinny and larger children too, adjustable waistbands are great but usually seem to cater better for larger children rather than skinny ones. DD had to gather the trousers so much they just looked ridiculous from the back.
The sizes are big in comparison to other stores. DS1 is currently wearing age 11 in every other store we have used except Tesco.
I didn't feel some of the pictures on the website matched the look of the product. I really wish we had gone to try items on in-store before ordering online as items were so much bigger than I expected.
Single items for PE or packs with two different sizes to grow into as the year goes on.
It was a real shame that so much stock was sold out on the website. There didn't seem to be a facility for exchanging items ordered online which so many other online shops offer.

I would definitely recommend the buy 1 donate 1 polo tops. I would be more inclined to recommend F&F to the parents of my sons friends, I feel the quality compared to other supermarket brands is good.
I wouldn't recommend for secondary aged children, I really feel they are not catered for by the F&F range.

loubielou31 Tue 23-Jul-13 17:16:37

We bought a complete winter school uniform, skirts, polo shirts, jumpers, tights, PE kit. I spent £50, there are a few things we still need but they were out of stock. I would say that the uniform is fairly priced and offers good value for money. Some of the items I wanted were out of stock, especially summer uniform. The Gingham skirt and blouse which we've had before is one of my DD's favourite items of school wear and the summer dresses really do come out of the dryer looking fine, no ironing needed there which is always a bonus. The summer dresses with a jersey collar are much harder to keep looking smart, the collar quickly goes quite grey looking,

The fit of many of the items needs to be improved. My DD is very tall and skinny. The knitted cardigans are lovely and the culottes are excellent, (but not sure the pleats will be very easy to keep in) The skirts fit nicely because of the adjustable waist but not the PE jogging bottoms. These just fall down. Why not put adjustable waist or a drawstring on these? The Jersey Jumpers are boxy and not a flattering cut at all (I think they just need to be a bit longer and slimmer actually) and the unisex polo shirts, (the only option in sky blue) are also much too baggy. A range of cuts needed to cater for this a little bit

I haven't bought any of these. My DD is not too harsh on her clothes and I find that grey hides the worst of the dirt anyway.
I have found that most things, sweaters especially but also polo shirts and knitwear shrink after their first wash and tumble dry, make sure you buy things long enough. They also always shrink lengthways but not widthways which makes them worse for DD.

Do polo shirts in a range of fits and colours not just white.
Put adjustable waists into PE clothes

I would recommend some of their products, their summer uniform is lovely, but the fit on others is much too large.

The longevity of these clothes is the true test. If the jumpers and skirts are in a fit state by the end of the year to be handed down to younger siblings then I will judge the uniform to be excellent. Some of last years clothes are looking much too faded but have kept their shape well, (bought from a competitor) Time will tell if Tesco's are up to the job.

loubielou31 Tue 23-Jul-13 17:19:42

Would there be an option to update this thread, maybe at Christmas? A fortnight of testing is just not enough to really say if the product is good enough, especially since the weather has been so hot meaning items like jumpers, long trousers and pinafore dresses have not been worn at school and therefore not really put through their paces.

Know I'm a bit late to the party, but here we go....

I brought Trousers, shorts (both PE and normal), Polo shirts, Coat, underwear, shoes, socks and PE tracksuit. Due to our schools uniform code, I didn't buy any jumpers. I spent about £79 and brought some trousers for myself.

I was quite impressed. The trousers and shorts seemed quite tough and hardwearing which is great. I also noticed they had buttons on the waistband so it was possible to adjust them. As DS1 is lanky with a skinny waist, this was excellent. I also thought the PE tracksuit and polo shirts seemed quite thick and better quality than ones I have brought previously.

I didn't buy anything which was Teflon coated but thought the products I did buy were quite durable and washed really well.

I would like to see a better selection of coats as there wasn't many to choose from. I've seen in previous years they have done some lovely winter coats for boys which were a wool mix, and, if one like this was available when I brought my uniform, I would have definitely paid extra for one.

Yes I would, from what I've seen of the uniform I've purchased it is of a better quality than stuff I've purchased from other retailers and I liked the fact I could order the stuff and then pick it up in store the next day (fitted in well with picking up the DS's from childminder). Although it was something I didn't use this time, I also like the fact F&F have a uniform embroidery service and would definitely take advantage of this should my school sign up to it.

We got: Unisex navy V-neck jumper 11-12
Boys school trousers 8-9 (3 pairs)
Boys school combat shorts 10-11 (2 pack)
Girls embroidered sleeve shirts 6-7 (2 shirts)
Girls button waistband trousers 6-7 and 4-5
Girls plait waistband trousers 4-5
Girls pencil skirt 6-7

Not adding this up! I think it is good value for money when comparing the prices to M&S which is where some of the uniform has come from before due to the ease of their click and collect service, and the range for wide bottoms and short legs! We are veterans of tesco uniform and it has been interesting to try out items that I've not bought from Tesco before, ie the jumper. We've kept a voucher back to get ds a winter coat.

V-neck: good value for money, however on the first wash some of the seams began to pucker which was disappointing. It looked ok once on, although it came off soon after! It has also survived being a goal post and being screwed up in a bag quite well. I will find it interesting to see if it shrinks over time, as that is the biggest problem I have with the M&S ones. If it doesn't I will be buying again! Regardless, despite the puckering this is a good basic staple, which is good value for money.

Boys trousers: These are a staple, ds is always wrecking the knees. Sizing was an issue, I know from experience that I need to get the smaller end of their ages, as ds is a beanpole: age 9 with a 20 inch waist. I dithered over going down a size and getting the longer length however it was a difficult call when the size guide didn't have any leg measurements- Tesco, please take note! waist and chest isn't enough, children are different shapes, and longer length means nothing if we have nothing to compare it to. These are good value for money, and hang well, even if ds has a baggy bottom after gathering the waist! adjustable waist is good :-)

Boys shorts: Another good value for money staple. My only problem is Dss has a very round bottom and short legs, and although I got the largest size possible they came below his knees and were tight around his bum. adjustable waist was needed and appreciated due to his shape!

Girls shirts: Again, went down a size, dd1 is 7.5, but very skinny. Fit was nice, she like the embroidery and shape of the shirts, she refuses to wear plain ones! They washed well, and I will be recommending/ buying again.

Button front trousers: Went down a size for both dds. Very grateful for the adjustable waist, the waist was massive on both girls, but legs perfect. Was quite grateful that the bums were not as baggy as I had expected, we've had bad experiences with 'skinny' jeans before! The fabric had a robust feel, which is good because dd2 is hard on her knees. Both girls like the button trim, and fit.

Plait front trousers: dd2 liked the trim, I liked the fit! No baggy bum here either. Fabric feels much lighter/thinner than the ones above, and it will be interesting to see how they wear.

Pencil skirt: dd1 chose this from the webpage. Pleats look really naff on her once I've pulled the waist in, and she liked this style. Once on her only disappointment was the lack of a kick pleat at the back, her fave pinny has one, and she found she can't do cartwheels without hoicking it right up. A kick pleat would be a really useful addition, a girl needs to be able to cartwheel/handstand/play football/run!

The difference in feel is obvious. We found it easy to sponge the stains off trousers ready for Badgers after school, but I'm not sure how much it would improve the longevity of a garment as opposed to a quality fabric to begin with. Especially not the knees- only reinforcing would do that! Create reinforced knees in boys trousers and you'll gain many parents approval.

I like that they have bought in short/long legs, but they really need to give inside leg/arm measurements on their size guide, it's a must for me given my children are so skinny/round of bottom.

I'd really like to see shorts go up another size.

More trousers/skirts in grey please. And decent pockets in girls trousers.

Ds would like to see more lace up shoes for younger boys, as he kills velcro, and is rightly proud of his lace tying skills (9yo, size 13.5)

I'd like to see a thicker jumper/cardigan available, ds feels the cold and so wears knitted jumpersgrin and in the winter the cotton ones are just too thin for the girls too. Dss runs hot, and is fine.

I would for the trousers/shirts. They are durable and the adjustable waists are a big selling point for me. The girly touches on the shirts, and the trousers pleased the girls.
Jumpers- I'll wait and see. Probably, as it's ok for the cost.

<didn't see socks with days of the week on the soles- anything to get ds wearing them, he has sensory issues, refuses to wear socks and then his shoes stink!!!!!>

Thank you very much Mumsnet and Tesco, we've really appreciated the new uniform

MadameJosephine Tue 23-Jul-13 21:27:34

I bought some of the longer length trousers, polo shirts, socks and shoes. Spent about £25 which I thought was great value. Will buy more later in the year as my son has a habit of growing in the holidays!

I generally buy school uniform from supermarkets and felt the quality was comparable and as expected

I bought Teflon coated trousers, didn't notice any difference but I'm pretty sure the trousers I bought this year were all Teflon coated. I like the idea and think it does help keep them clean and easier to iron

Loved the fact that trousers were available in different lengths and with adjustable waists as my son is very tall and skinny so we often have trouble with trousers ai definitely keep those. Do you offer similar in skirt lengths? Don't have a school age daughter so i didn't chevk. Often shirts are very baggy for the same reason so perhaps a 'slim fit' shirt might be an idea?

Yes I would recommend

OnTheNingNangNong Tue 23-Jul-13 21:37:41

I bought navy sweatshirts, navy polo shirts, white polos, black long length trousers, waterproof jacket, shoes. I spent about £50 in total, which is extremely good value for the amount of clothing I bought.

The quality overall was good especially versus cost. Unfortunately the sizing on the jumpers and shoes are very off.

The polo shirts and shorts have coped well so far, the white shirts have quite scruffy buttonholes but it is mainly seen on the wrong side. The navy shirts have washed well with very minimal fading.
Unfortunately I couldn't try anything else due to the weather conditions.

I don't know if anything I bought was Teflon coated.

Make sure the sizing is the same across all items. It is annoying buying uniform from one store where some fit and some doesn't.
I would also recommend stocking more items for boys as a lot in my sons size was out of stock.

I would definitely recommend buying uniform as so far it is washing and wearing well, looks smart and is very good value.

Being able to buy navy polo shirts is great as our large primary school has a navy option and only a rival supermarket has stocked them before now.

I would say that they need to try on in store as returns are returns only which is a pain.

mrslurkalot Tue 23-Jul-13 22:35:10

For my DS (age 8) I bought 2 x trousers, 1 jumper, 6 polo shirts, 7 pairs of socks. For DD (age 5) I bought 2 x skirts, 2 x pinafore dresses, 2x summer blouses, 1 checked summer skirt, 2 x summer dresses, 3 x cardigans, 5 pairs of white socks, 6 pairs of tights. I spent £93 and feel this to be exceptional value for money.

So far, I have to say I am very impressed with the quality, everything has washed well (at least once, DDs summer dresses many times).

I haven't been able to test the teflon coated items to any great extent. The weather has been way too hot for the DCs to wear them. However, I have washed them all and have been impressed.

The buttons on DDs summer dress are tricky for a 5 year old. She can do and undo buttons on her other clothes but she has to ask me to help with the buttons on these dresses. They may 'ease' with wear but it may be something to look at. I wouldn't, for instance send her in them on a PE or swimming day, as I know someone would have to help her.

From my experience for far, I would absolutely recommend F&F schoolwear, and will definitely buy from the range again.

Sorry I'm on my iPad so can't cut and paste or click back to get all the questions so I'll just give the best review I can without them if that's ok.

Firstly I'd like to say thank you to Tesco and Mumsnet for allowing us to trial the uniform, Tesco customer services were great with a few problems I had so I'd happily use Tesco again for online clothes order.

I brought, 2 pairs of cargo shorts for both boys (6&8) also 6 polo shirts and 6 button shirts, 2 pairs of shorter length trousers for both boys and 3 jumpers each. I spent £70.

The uniform looks great and feels like good quality, it's all a great price so I don't have to worry about replacing it every few months when they ruin it with pen, paint, grass stains rips or tears.

The jumpers have come up big but I prefer them that way.
The shorts have been worn everyday by the DSs the adjustable wait is great for giving a nice comfortable fit and the Teflon coating has meant they've stayed a lot cleaner than normal.

They've washed well and even the shirts have all come up brilliantly white after a few washes.
The jumpers have held a great shape and the trousers/shorts are still like new.

I would (and have) recommended Tesco uniform to other parents.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now