Please note: This topic is for your comments and feedback on Product Tests being run by Mumsnet. It is not the place to post (or ask for) comments on other products. If you do this, your comments may be deleted. If you'd like to run your own product test, please email insight@mumsnet.com. If you are an entrepreneur or start-up and would like to ask for some feedback, please visit our media requests topic.

F&F School Uniform feedback thread

(134 Posts)
MichelleMumsnet Netherlands (MNHQ) Tue 16-Jul-13 12:03:31

This thread is for the 100 MNers who have been trying out the new school uniform range from F&F.

Here's what they say about the range: "At F&F we're really proud of the value and quality of our products and have spent the last year really improving our schoolwear range. Our schoolwear offering, which is available online all year round, is designed to last. With features including Teflon® fabric protector across skirts, trousers and pinafores, we believe that we've made it easier to get those stains out. Also, we've included adjustable waistbands to ensure a more comfortable fit for your children that will also help the items last that little bit longer as they grow. Finally, we've helped reduce the ironing with our permanent pleats in skirts."

Below are a couple of questions for you to answer, but please also feel free to add any other comments you may also have.

Q1 Which items from the range did you buy and how much did you spend? Would you say this was good value for money or not?

Q2 Did the overall quality of the school uniforms match your expectations? If so, how? If not, why not?

Q3 If you bought any Teflon® coated fabric, did you like or dislike it? Did you notice any difference to the uniform staying clean at all? Did the fabric help when trying to get stains out? Do you think the fabric is likely to be more or less durable than other school uniform fabric?

Q4 Do you have any other feedback that could help F&F improve their schoolwear again next year?

Q5 Finally, if it came up in conversation would you recommend F&F schoolwear range to friends or family? If so, why? If not, why not?

Thanks,

Michelle @ MNHQ

BlackeyedSusan England Thu 18-Jul-13 23:32:43

we are not trialling the new school unifom, but ds is still wearing tesco gold polo shirts bought 3 years ago for dd and worn for a year by each. they are really tough on clothes. they are still in very good condition! (they have washed well, retained their colour)

coribells Fri 19-Jul-13 06:55:54

I picked up the package from local Tesco Direct outlet on Saturday so have had few days to test them now. I've also used Tesco Uniforms in the past so feel I can give an honest review.
Q1. I bought two pack of boys trousers in black for size 11-12 for £10.00-
2 x2 pack of boys short sleeved shirts £3.00-£5.00
1 pack of long sleeved shirts £3.00
white socks
Joggers x 2
Blazer £12.00
school swimmers
school bag £12.00
I spent £75.00 all together , so some left over for winter gear as an d when
Overall I think the Tesco uniform is excellent value for money

Q2 Did the overall quality of the school uniforms match your expectations? If so, how? If not, why not?
Yes the uniforms match my expectations . I have used Tesco uniforms in the past. The sizing is what I expected, though my DS are small for there age so I didn't expect a perfect fit. I did not buy any polo shirts this time round. That is purely because the Tesco shirts I bought for DS last summer still fit and are still in good condition even after a year of washing . Polo shirts need a fair bit of ironing compared to shirts I've bought from other retailers. However they do last a lot longer and kids are more likely to grow out of them before they wear out. The same is true for trousers.
I also bought a school bag online- is good quality , reasonable price and will probably last DS through 3 years of junior school

Q3 If you bought any Teflon® coated fabric, did you like or dislike it? Did you notice any difference to the uniform staying clean at all? Did the fabric help when trying to get stains out? Do you think the fabric is likely to be more or less durable than other school uniform fabric?
Did not buy them

Q4 Do you have any other feedback that could help F&F improve their schoolwear again next year?
I was disappointed that there were no black socks in the school range.I will now have to go an actual shop.shock

Q5 Finally, if it came up in conversation would you recommend F&F schoolwear range to friends or family? If so, why? If not, why not?
Yes I would, and already have. The uniform is good quality and good value. Shopping for uniform online is a lot more stress free than trudging around the high street in the school holiday only to find that the sizes aren't available. Definitely recommend

First of all thank you MN and Tescos for choosing me for this product test.
Q1 Which items from the range did you buy and how much did you spend? Would you say this was good value for money or not?

I decided to apply when I saw a comment on the original thread about Tescos doing uniform right up to adult sizes. My children are older 15 and 17 but not standard sizes my 15 towers over the 17 . Several uniform items my boys wear can only be bought from the schools supplier so I am always looking out for reasonably priced bits like shirts to counter the horrendous cost of the items I have no choice about. I bought white shirts short and long sleeved polo shirts school trousers and sock though theses had to be bought from the Men's section as the school ones didn't go up high enough in sizes so I chose what looked like comparable ones from there, I also found the school style shoes not available in the larger sizes so again chose similar from the adult range.
I found there was little difference between the items purchased and those I had bought previously from a different high street store. Availability of some items was poor and whilst I presume Tescos have done extensive research into what colours to offer was unable to match certain items for example the grey jumpers were more charcoal so not suitable and the Navy trousers worn by one of my boys only went up to age 14.

I was pleased with the quality of the shirts ,they washed well and were easy to iron. I bought the largest size available which fitted my boys well but as I mentioned above my oldest is tiny compared to many of his classmates and they certainly wouldn't have fitted any of the strapping 6 foot plus rugby players in his class! The same with socks I don't know many 16 year olds with feet smaller than a size 7, the similar men's socks I bought however were very good quality and washed very well. The trousers were smart and fitted well but again would not fit most of the 16 year olds I know.
Had I younger children I think I would have been very satisfied but for older kids felt the selection a bit poor though would say this is no different than any of the high street stores.

The trousers I bought were Teflon coated I didn't particularly like the feel of them, but ds said they were comfortable and they washed well. I have purchased Teflon coated items in the past and always found they wash well and keep their new appearance for longer.

As I have said above selection of items for older children is poor, if they are going to promote school uniform right up to adult sizes maybe a bit more research into what the older children wear is needed. Also on the website it would be helpful if as well as ages it stated chest/waist sizes etc so you didn't have to check on the size guide . Maybe clothes should be marked by measurements rather than ages, not all kids of a certain age are the same size. I am ancient now but as a very tiny for my age child can still remember being teased at 11 because by shirt said age 8!

I would certainly recommend it to people with younger children and to those with older children for the basics . The range is very reasonably priced and so far seems to be wearing well. Although not relevant to me I was interested to see there was such a wide variety of colours available for the younger ages. I also liked the idea of the buy one give one range,

blueberryupsidedown Fri 19-Jul-13 11:40:03

I spent £95 on uniforms for two boys, aged 6 and 7. Included: PE shorts, PE t-shirts, pimsoles, track pants, swimming trunks. Socks (fresh feel ankle socks). Pants. 'Buy one give one' pique polos. Boys' shorter lenght trousers, and Boys' longer lenght trousers. Signature cargo shorts with fairtrade cotton. And a summer dress for me! Excellent value for money as I got so much, enough to see us through the rest of this school year and all of next year (apart from school jumpers as they have to be school jumpers, and school shoes as we didn't need them just now).

Yes. All matched or are above my expectations. The shorter lenght/longer lenght trousers are brilliant fit, better than M&S, but just a little dark (more charcoal than grey). All the PE clothes are brilliant, and very cheap. I am not sure about the polo shirts - they feel thick and have the three buttons which is better than the basic two-button from Asda, and they are very soft, but the collar is a bit on the thin side.

So far so good. Because of the heatwave the kids have been wearing the shorts everyday and regular stains come right off. I haven't really had to clean tough stains. Pasta sauce did come off easily!

For boys, I would have a more 'fancy' option for polo - with a thicker collar and a trim on the collar, with stainaway of some kind? even if it's a bit more expensive at least we would have that option.

Yes I would, especially the longer lenght/shorter lenght trousers. I have two boys one is tall and slim, the other one is short and a bit fat around the middle, so I have the option and they are good quality. The PE clothes are excellent value for money.

ISeeSmallPeople Fri 19-Jul-13 13:49:42

Thanks for choosing me.

I've just picked up my uniform, it's just a shame that I only got my vouchers on Wednesday and school finishes for the summer in 1 hour. I'm afraid no amount of bribery will get my 3 back into school uniform to try it on and properly test it, even for the mumsnet cause smile

In such a rush to buy stuff before the end of term (I was hoping to collect it yesterday evening) & limited stock on the website, I only managed to spend £27.50 so far. Will try again later when hopefully there is more in stock.

I bought;
2 pack f&f boys short sleeve easy iron shirt £4
2 pack boys dirt defence shorts £7
Teflon pleat front boys standard length trousers £5
red scalloped girls cardigan £3
Blue girls hoodie £4
Blue standard length girls jogging bottoms £3
Girls Teflon permanent pleat skirt £3

I have no idea where the 50p came from! I think maybe the shorts were on sale, but my receipt/order summary doesn't say the price I paid.

Seems good value, especially the shirts, as they ruin them with pen so quickly.

I would have bought more, but stock very limited. There was nothing for my oldest DS. He needed shorts & trousers in age 11-12, but nothing was left.

Both DSs also needed a navy track suit,but the bottoms for boys were only available in black, & with gathered elasticated leg cuffs. Why not navy straight leg like the girls?

Also the only girls red dress had buttons, no good for a new recepetion pupil, she needs easy access zipped dresses.

From what littl I was able to buy it looks good.

The shirts are 'easy iron'. Not, 'I hate the iron, and don't ever want to turn it on, no bloody ironing ever', which is what I'd prefer. We'll see if they can be treated the same way as M&S and sainsburys non iron, and be tumbled & hung warm.

The track suit, bought as girls' hoodie & jogging bottoms are huge and DD won't fit in them for atleast another year. The hoodie is 3 inches longer than the same age red cardigan. The bottoms will trail by a good 6 inches. Maybe the tumble drier will help them to fit better smile

Cardigan & trousers, skirt and shorts all seem very nice, latter in a good shades of mid grey, adjustable waistbands. Very similar quality to other uniform I've bought. it's just a shame that some items say standard length, when there was no indication that different lengths were offered on the website.

Teflon trousers. Seem good. I wish you'd hurry up and invent the Teflon white shirts & polos.

More stock. More choice. Please. And different lengths for trousers.

Yes. Particularly if stock improves and I've bought what I need first!

Will come back once I've washed & dried everything.

Puppypoppet Fri 19-Jul-13 17:14:21

Q1 Which items from the range did you buy and how much did you spend? Would you say this was good value for money or not? I bought a winter coat, couple of white blouses, black pleated skirt, 2 cardies, 2 shorts, hoody, pair of trousers and some socks. All for just over £50. Very good value for money. Will spend the rest on some more uniform now familiar with sizes.

Q2 Did the overall quality of the school uniforms match your expectations? If so, how? If not, why not? Yes very impressed - didn't get the cheapest in any product. For all the items very good value for money.

Don't think any of the items are teflon but found they are all easy to look after / clean.
Q4 Do you have any other feedback that could help F&F improve their schoolwear again next year? Possibly more choice of styles in the woolen type cardies like Asda do. Also more choice of short sleeve white tops - different styles would be nice. Also found the sizing to be quite big on the skirts and trousers - waist sizes are huge even when adjusted. Possibly like bhs and do slimmer, standard and larger fit.

Q5 Finally, if it came up in conversation would you recommend F&F schoolwear range to friends or family? If so, why? If not, why not? Yes would definitely recommend as good prices and quality and so far do not seem to be fading ( like asda clothes sometimes do ).

MoonHare Fri 19-Jul-13 18:55:57

With my £100 I was able to buy an amazing amount of stuff, so much that I bought a range of sizes to fit DD next year too.
4xcotton knit cardigan (blue)
4xpinafore dress Teflon (grey)
4x pleated skirts (grey)
6xpolo shirts white
1xpack 6 long socks
1xpack 6 ankle socks
1xpack 7 knickers
1xpack 7 vests

I think it represents excellent value for money.

Yes, for the money I wasn't expecting top quality cut and fabric but for hard wear at school for a 5/6 year old it's great.

The fabric seems nice enough quality, not cheap looking, shiny or thin. Compared to a Sainsbury's pinafore we had last year the fabric appears it will be durable. But unfortunately with this very hot weather DD hasn't been able to wear the pinafores.

Q4 Do you have any other feedback that could help F&F improve their schoolwear again next year? I considered buying checked summer dresses for DD but the material on the ones available in my local store (I went in to check the fabrics before ordering) was horrible, scratchy and very cheap feeling.

The style of the pinafores I ordered is exactly the same as last years, I think this is good - when DD turns up in a pinafore with a star zipper no-one will comment that she's wearing old stuff/hand me down stuff.

I bought cotton knit cardigans in spite of the ones I have from last year having faded really badly in the wash, I decided to get more anyway because although they fade they did keep their shape and didn't shrink. It took many washes for the fading to happen - probably about a dozen so no time to wash the new ones so often that they would fade. Hoping this batch will have stronger dye!

The polo shirts DD had last year came up very small. She is a tiny 5 year old and the age 4/5 ones I bought a few months ago are too small for her already, so I sized up with the 3x2 pack polo shirts I bought with my vouchers and got 6/7 - they are massive on her though. The sizing does seem to be all over the place.

I tried last winter to buy age 4/5 tights. You don't make them. Why not? The 3/4 were too small and the 5/6 too big.

Q5 Finally, if it came up in conversation would you recommend F&F schoolwear range to friends or family? If so, why? If not, why not
Definitely would.

Maggietess Fri 19-Jul-13 19:50:10

I wasn't selected for the product test but my kids do wear the Tesco uniforms and I totally agree with a couple of the earlier comments on the length of the pinafores and summer dress - my daughter is 5 1/2 and 110cm which according to all the height charts is perfectly average for her age. But shes in age 7 dresses and pinafores to get the length even though they are a bit wide.
Also I agree with the person who commented about arms getting stuck going in and out of the sleeves, they seem unduly tight getting the arms in, even though the rest of it is more than wide enough.

CamperWidow Fri 19-Jul-13 22:06:51

I have bought a range of shirts, polo shirts, pinafore dresses, bootcut trousers, the 75p skirt, the scallop edge cardigan, the red checked dress and a pack of 5 pairs of white socks. I managed to get all that for just £35 so I was very impressed with the value.
I am saving one voucher to purchase anything else she may need come Christmas.

So far the quality seems to match the value. She hasn't had a great amount of wear but I have let her run around it them abit longer than I would normally to get some more wear.
They have certainly stood up to everything she has thrown at them so far!

Yes, the trousers and I think the pinafores. There didn't seem to be too much difference in the material, but there are certainly no stains on them!

Yep, sort the website out!!! So frustrating, not helped by only being able to use one voucher at a time. Also, slightly off topic, but some of the things I ordered were cancelled and I am still waiting for a refund of the money which leaves a bitter taste.

Yes. The clothes appear to be good quality, if only in the short time she has worn them, and are certainly cheap enough to replace.

cocoplops Fri 19-Jul-13 22:31:18

So far I've bought some shorts, socks, trousers and polo's. will be getting some more stuff for my youngest in a bit.

Not tried trousers yet but rest has been.

Shorts - not sure if Teflon coated. Assume not as its obvious on the trousers with a label. But anyway....usually buy m&s for school. Was thinner material than m&s but not necessarily a bad thing for shorts. Style was good for my skinny minny DS. Looked smart in them. Wore well through the day. Washed well - although had more smatter of dust and general dirt rather than any specific stains. Not toooo creased after wash n dry (slattern mother that I am, I sent him to school in them without ironing - creases still could be seen but not crisp). Very reasonable, especualky as they were in the sale!! Overall would recommend ad would buy again. My DS wished they had a little safe place pocket for his 20p (feedback straight from horses mouth!)

Socks - got size slightly up from my eldest DS and they were fine. Seemed good quality. M&s ones always seem a little snug especially after repeated washes. Would like a little area to put a name on like m&s do. Washed well. Good value, would recommend.

Polo's - ok quality. Basic design (prefer the teeny bit more detail in stitching on the m&s ones). Liked the fact it was buy one give one- nice touch. Difficult to know what the difference was between those on website that were buy one give one and those that weren't. Website not very clear. Got 8/9 for my small 8 yo. Tad large, have bought smaller size too which will probably be better

. Ds uses the bottom of his top as a napkin most days, and seems to roll round in dirt and drop gravy or custard down himself. Also neck tends to get mucky with suntan lotion. I soaked it in anti stain overnight as I couldn't bear that after one wear its pristine whiteness was no more. 60c wash later and all but neck suntan lotion was gone. If you could find a fabric protector that prevented suntan lotion transfer (or marketed fabric wash for suntan lotion removal) you would be quids in!!!! I have found that the m&s stain repellent polo's stay looking more reasonable for longer than asda's. only time will tell with these ones. I'd recommend in do far as they're fine and reasonably priced but no better or much worse than others.

Teflon coating not all that noticeable on the website. Only noticed from reading this thread and from shopping in store. But definitely a selling point so maybe extra highlighting??!

cocoplops Fri 19-Jul-13 22:34:34

Another suggestion - slim fit trousers!!! I guess flat front ones would be slimmer than pleat front but im not sure?? That is one of the prime reasons I tend to buy my school wear at m&s as they have slim fit trousers which my DS really needs.

skyeskyeskye Fri 19-Jul-13 23:36:55

I would add as well that I have bought uniform from Tesco, Asda and Ssinsburys in the past year and the Tesco uniform seems to wash and wear better than the others. When I bought summer dresses a couple if months ago they were 2 for £7 which is great value. I find that DD needs at least 4 of everything as I only get time to do a wash at the weekend.

The time span for testing here was very short but speaking from experience with past purchases, the dresses wash and wear very well. They will still be in excellent condition to pass to a friend.

I bought shirts, polo shirts and tights. Would have bought trousers for DD2 but it was very hard to see on the website what they actually looked like, and there were none in the store we visited (teenagers are very particular about what is acceptable wink, plus she's a slightly awkward shape in school clothing I've found). Spent £25.70, and will go back for jogging bottoms, PE shorts and possibly trainers.

I've had school shirts before which have lasted about 18 months (bought big, just getting on the small side now), so value for money has been brilliant in the past. The items in the store we looked at (but didn't buy as not school colours) had decent seams, buttons securely sewn on. Polo shorts seem good quality material. Shirts are a bit thin, so for older girls in particular, don't really work without a jumper/cardigan.

No idea bout Teflon coated, but the DDs don't tend to get covered in mess, so it's not an issue for me.

Bigger sizes/older ages. Range is Not Good. Biggish store (by Gatwick) didn't have any girls trousers at all when we went. If you want me to buy trousers without trying them on, then I need inside leg measurements in your size charts.

But, Tesco were one of the few places I managed to get school shirts in November the other year when DD3 had a massive growth spurt overnight and had no school shirts to wear.

I would recommend F&F school stuff to people - it's very good value, and decent quality. And stuff which isn't being worn all the time (like PE jogging bottoms) lasts well enough to be handed on. DD3 will be starting secondary with a pair of joggers which are approx 8 years old which were DD1s when she was about the same age.

pussinwellyboots Sat 20-Jul-13 15:09:57

Socks, pack a macs, polo shirts, shorts, trousers, pe shorts and sweatshirts. Spent about £50 on uniform. appears to be good value for money.

Q2 Did the overall quality of the school uniforms match your expectations? If so, how? If ,not, why not?
Polo shirts are a good thickness, (got both regular and value) both types appear to wash well, but do need to be ironed. Was glad sweatshirt doesn't need ironing (hasn't been worn because of the heat but did wash it) as I have an M and S sweatshirt that needs ironing which is irritating in a sweatshirt. Sports shorts are huge - most items are extremely large around the waist. My DS is skinny but not overly so, obviously there is a market for large waist sizes but skinny fit items would be useful. I got some trousers for a friend to test as well and she was going to have to exchange them as there were no waist adjusters. This is not clear on the website.
Am very happy with pac a macks, socks and shorts, Although the shorts are very long.

The school trousers are Teflon but have not been worn due to the heat, but look fine. The school shorts I think are Teflon and have washed well.

The website is quite hard to use. For example with school trousers if all the colours could be grouped under one option, as when the clothes came there appears to be light grey and dark grey but these are all listed as grey. It is unclear which trousers have adjustable waists and there are lots of different options for trousers but it is hard to see what is different about each type - but it would be really good if you could introuduce some different fittings eg skinny fit.

Happy to recommend, but not sure i'd recommend the website or customer service. I rang up to see if a friend could collect my order as the nearest store is 20 miles away, but was told that there was no way to do this, and they couldn't let me speak to my local store to discuss this or to heck my order was in store.

EeTraceyluv Sat 20-Jul-13 17:24:48

2 pinafores, 2 kilt skirts, 2 pairs of trousers for 13 year old ds, a girls winter coat and some shoes for ds, and 2 cardigans

They did, especially the pinafores

I'm not sure that I did!

Not really. The coat was age 9-10 but tiny on 7 year old (who is big for her age) dd so we had to take it back, apart from that no problems

I probably would. Cheap, cheerful and durable - she has worn her pinafores and they wash beautifully, AND no ironing needed!

ipanicked Sat 20-Jul-13 20:14:10

Q1. I bought polo shirts, vests (2 lots of 2 different sizes), socks, jumpers, trousers and track suit bottoms and even managed to get some character PJs for the DCs and spent exactly £50. I thought this was excellent value for money as I almost got enough to last DS through next year. Now I know what size fits best, I'll get more trousers and polo shirts.

Q2. I thought it was better quality than I expected for the price. The jumper was nice and soft, the trousers didn't look as shiny as I was expecting and the polo shirts were better quality than I expected. Sizing was a bit tricky - DS is on the small side for a 4 yo, but all tops and jogging bottoms came up small (and shrank a tiny bit in the wash) while the trousers were WAY too big.

Q3. Unfortunately as the trousers were enormous (and I made sure I'd got the adjustable waist ones!) we weren't able to test out the Teflon coated stuff. Everything else after washing didn't need ironing which I was pleased about. The white polo shirts and vests unfortunately looked just as filthy coming out of a 40 degree wash (bio liquid) as they had going in but I've not tried washing them hotter or with stain remover (but as it was only apple juice and chocolate, I'd not really expected to need to). I would have been pretty amazed if they had come up white, as DS is a dirt magnet, but seeing the feedback earlier in the thread I did have high hopes so that's a shame.

Q3. I wish I'd had a bit more time to test the clothes properly - despite ordering online straight away, we only got a couple of days wear. I thought the school embroidery service looked fab but wasn't really sure how much extra this would cost. The website took a bit of time to navigate and felt a bit clunky but I was pleased with the free delivery for over £50 orders as there is no click and collect that's particularly easy to get to round here.

Q4. Yes, definitely, I will definitely be buying more and recommending to others.

Thanks for choosing me, I can't quite believe I have all the school uniform I now need for ages grin

androbbob Sat 20-Jul-13 20:45:17

Bought polo shirts and short sleeved shirts in blue, grey combat shorts, grey trousers in two different styles and socks for DS. All good value at under £60 and got 6 of each top. I did try to get DD some blue shirts for high school but wasnt available, only in white. Wasnt too impressed in the older girls range. I did get her some 40 and 60 denier tights for school.
I wasnt able to get jumpers as their school colour is burgandy which M &S only seem to stock.

I have previously had summer dresses and polo shirts and shorts and they have always washed well. However I thought the grey was a very dark shade this year. I did get another style of trousers that was too pale, but I will keep them. Fit was good, if a little long in the body. Polo shirts washed well but are thinner than the usual M & S ones I get. Collars are flimsy too and appear to wear after washing. At half the M&S price though I can live with that!

I do prefer the teflon coated uniform as it seems stiffer and seems to hang better. This is more apparent on girls pleated skirts which can be a bugger to keep neat. I would generally go for teflon but dont seem to recall this being well promoted on the website. All the trousers and shorts I got are teflon and have a tag on to say so. This would be more prominent when buying in store. I do agree teflon makes he uniform look better for longer.
I have previously had boys shoes for school from tesco and they have been as good as that other well known brand!

More on line size guide info as it is a pain to have to return items. Website is shocking to use as basket takes ages to update. Compared to the online grocery website, this clothing one is antiquated.

I would recommend as uniform is good value for money. I usually go to M & S when have deals on, but Tesco is almost as good, as long as go for the dearer priced items rather than the budget value lines. It is aldo helpful to stick a bit if uniform in trolley over a few weeks shopping as you dont notice the cost as one big outlay.

Thanks for the opportunity to partake in this trial. I am saving my final voucher for his shoes in August!

MyLifeIsStillChaotic Sun 21-Jul-13 10:48:40

4 polo shirts, four pairs of trousers, a 7-pair pack of socks, an autumn/winter coat, two pairs of joggers and two pairs of shorts. this came to £40 and I intend on spending the rest nearer September - I didn't want to get stuff 'for the sake of it'. I thought I got a lot for £40, especially considering I bought a coat.

The uniform looks great to me. Smart, well made and good quality - definitely comparable with the M&S uniform I normally buy.

Unfortunately by the time I got the voucher codes (Thursday evening)and picked up the uniform (that weekend) DS only had a week to wear it for school. What he did wear washed well and I was pleased, although it is hard to say at the moment how well they will last after numerous washes. I am confident that the trousers will hold up but will have to assess the polo shirts down the line as that is what I find goes scruffy quickly from other shops.

I thought there was a good choice and was pleased with the website. I have to say I was less pleased with some other items I bought (two t-shirts and some socks also all for DS) as they were in stock when I placed the order then weren't in stock 2 hours later - I don't think that's particularly great.

Yes I would - the click and collect service is really easy to use and the products seem good quality and good value for money - so far anyway!

SparkyTGD Sun 21-Jul-13 12:06:47

Thanks for picking me, is there a date we need to give feedback by?

I ordered on the generous side (what I usually do, DS is tall) but way too big so have ordered some smaller & will update when I get these (obviously won't be wearing to school now but can try on for size etc).

Squeegle Sun 21-Jul-13 12:23:36

1) I bought boys front pleat trousers, boys 5 pocket trousers, 2 x polo shirts, 5 x fresh feel socks, 5 x black knee high socks, 1 x unisex v neck jumper. Also two pairs of baseball boots.
All came to less than £50, was impressed with that price. I also would have ordered more ,but there were no black pleated skirts available.
2) Impressed by quality - overall very high, and particularly for the price.
3)Yes, I did buy the trousers with teflon; they seem fine - I washed all of them and they've come out fine - but to be honest there were no major stains to worry about at this stage.
4)I think that they're great. Love the adjustable waists, that makes a big difference for me as both children are tall but thin. Generally, excellent quality, and am very happy. But could do with more online availability.
5) Yes, would definitely recommend. I am very impressed.

muminthecity Sun 21-Jul-13 18:44:19

I bought the following:

1 Pack long sleeved white shirts
2 Packs of short sleeved white shirts
2 Blue checked summer dresses
2 Pair Pack of 40 Denier Microfibre Tights
3 Pair Pack of Super Soft Tights
Jersey School Pinafore
Kilt School Skirt
Permanent Pleat School Pinafore
Single Pleat School Skirt

I also bought a dress, swimming costume and some pyjamas and spent £100 in total. Excellent value for money in my opinion.

So far they have exceeded my expectations, they all seem really good quality, the summer dresses have been worn and washed twice this week and still look brand new. The material is light and soft, DD is loving wearing them in this heat as they keep her so cool.

I didn't buy any Teflon products as far as I am aware.

I am impressed with it all so far, but would say that when conducting product tests in future it would make far more sense to do it in September/October. Whilst I have washed some of the uniform more than once, I haven't had much time to give it a proper test. I will be interested to see how it fares in the new school year after lots more wearing/washing.

At present, yes I would recommend, mainly because it is so much cheaper than anywhere else I have bought school uniform from and so far seems very good value. However, as mentioned above we have had very little time to try it all out properly.

SachaF Mon 22-Jul-13 11:44:58

F&F Leather Riptape School Shoes, £15, F&F 5 Pair Pack of Gingham Frill Trim Socks, £4.00, F&F Signature Boys cargo shorts with Fairtrade cotton, £7, F&F Permair® Coated Leather Flower School Shoes, £12.50, F&F Permanent Pleat School Pinafore, £5, F&F Girls Embroidered Sleeve School Shirt, £3, £75 in total including 2 cardigans for me and boys underwear. Normally I would spend this on 2 pairs of school shoes alone!

The uniforms appear to be of a good quality so far. The material is a good thickness. I was impressed with the shoes for that price. Time will tell.

The pinafore dress is Teflon coated. It has been down the allotment and had food spilled on it and has washed clean without specifically needing to treat the spills. I would happily buy clothes with this treatment again. I think it is likely to be more durable as it is less likely to stain.

The girls shoes have been incredibly easy for my 4 year old to put on. She really likes the flowers and finds them comfortable. The boys shoes - the Velcro that is not covered by the fastening (as he doesn't like them too tight) picked up lots of dried grass on day 1 and I haven't been able to remove it all, which makes the shoes look a tad messy, but he thinks they are very comfortable, as comfortable as his old Hush Puppies. Also, after 6 days of wearing he hasn't scuffed them so far.... The cargo shorts are not quite as smart looking as the similar shorts he had from Bhs, but do the job. I really like the small detail on the embroidered sleeve school shirt. The socks pilled on day 1 of wearing with the school shoes, across where the fastening goes and around the top of the heel, and the black from the shoes leaked onto the white socks. The pinafore was quite wide across the shoulders (age 4-5 on my 4 3/4 year old girl).

Yes, good price, decent quality so far.

lougle Mon 22-Jul-13 12:24:07

I got 6 polo shirts 9 skirts 6 pinafores, 2 dresses 2 pairs of jogging bottoms 2 zip through hoodies and 9 vests. Total £104.50, so just £4.50 to pay and free delivery. Very good value for money.

Yes, they did. Very smart and nice.

It's great! In fact, I only washed the skirts because they'd worn them; they didn't seem dirty at all and my girls roll around in mud.

The waist band of the dresses seems a little low. I'd like the zip to extend further down because it makes it tight on the shoulders when dressing, although the actual fit is good.

Yes.

Thank you Tesco and MNHQ!

dietstartstmoz Mon 22-Jul-13 12:58:09

We have had ;

2 x unisex sweatshirts age 5-6 £3/age 8-9 £4
3 x easy iron short sleeve school shirt age 5-6 £3/age 8-9 £4
2 x teflon coated school trousers £5
2 x riptape leather school shoes size 2 £16/ size 12 £15
1 x sun hat - £1.50
pants and socks £5

See above, have spent £56.50 so far. Will be getting further items once I have sorted out the existing uniform to see what else needs replacing.

Very good quality, all items appear to be made well, and wearing and washing so far has gone well. They do not appear to be any 'cheaper' looking or poorer quality than any other high street store, including M&S where we usually get our uniforms from.

Yes I bought some Teflon coated trousers, they look great and appear sturdy which will be a good thing with 2 boisterous boys to clothe.

The boys wear range is more limited I feel than the girls wear. There were only 5 coat options for boys, 2 blazers and 3 waterproof jackets, no winter coats as yet. For girls there are 5 coat options, including what look like 2 winter coats. I didn't like any of the boys options and was disappointed there were not any winter coat options as yet, but maybe they will be available later in the year. We get through winter quickly as my boys tend to break zips, even high quality branded ones.

Yes, good quality and value for money.

PolyesterBride Mon 22-Jul-13 13:46:06

I bought a 2 pack of girls polo shirts; a five pack of gingham frill socks; 2 different summer dresses; a scallop trim cardigan. This came to £25 exactly. I would have bought much more but for each item I wanted, they were out of stock in my daughter's size - even the next couple of sizes up, which I would have tried.

Yes, overall they matched my expectations. I was expecting basic type supermarket quality and it seems to be fine. I have washed some of the dresses and the socks and they have washed fine. I haven't used the cardigan yet because of the weather or the polo shirts because of the season (they are only wearing dresses now).

My daughter likes the zip up dresses and the socks with the gingham in. I only saw one blue colour though - I needed the light and the dark blue.

My daughter is very slim but I still bought the size up for the dresses so that they weren't tight and that was good - they would have been too small in her proper size.

I didn't buy any of this because it was all out of stock. I would have liked to though.

Make sure all sizes are available! AND - if you want to do this kind of product test again, don't do it one week before the end of term! My daughter's school broke up on Friday and last week there were THREE non-uniform days, so it was really hard for me to test the uniform thoroughly.

Yes - the service (free delivery to store next day) is really convenient. The uniform seems to be just as good as any other supermarket. I will probably buy more winter uniform there with the other vouchers once the stock levels improve!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now