Please note: This topic is for your comments and feedback on Product Tests being run by Mumsnet. It is not the place to post (or ask for) comments on other products. If you do this, your comments may be deleted. If you'd like to run your own product test, please email insight@mumsnet.com. If you are an entrepreneur or start-up and would like to ask for some feedback, please visit our media requests topic.

F&F School Uniform feedback thread

(134 Posts)
MichelleMumsnet Netherlands (MNHQ) Tue 16-Jul-13 12:03:31

This thread is for the 100 MNers who have been trying out the new school uniform range from F&F.

Here's what they say about the range: "At F&F we're really proud of the value and quality of our products and have spent the last year really improving our schoolwear range. Our schoolwear offering, which is available online all year round, is designed to last. With features including Teflon® fabric protector across skirts, trousers and pinafores, we believe that we've made it easier to get those stains out. Also, we've included adjustable waistbands to ensure a more comfortable fit for your children that will also help the items last that little bit longer as they grow. Finally, we've helped reduce the ironing with our permanent pleats in skirts."

Below are a couple of questions for you to answer, but please also feel free to add any other comments you may also have.

Q1 Which items from the range did you buy and how much did you spend? Would you say this was good value for money or not?

Q2 Did the overall quality of the school uniforms match your expectations? If so, how? If not, why not?

Q3 If you bought any Teflon® coated fabric, did you like or dislike it? Did you notice any difference to the uniform staying clean at all? Did the fabric help when trying to get stains out? Do you think the fabric is likely to be more or less durable than other school uniform fabric?

Q4 Do you have any other feedback that could help F&F improve their schoolwear again next year?

Q5 Finally, if it came up in conversation would you recommend F&F schoolwear range to friends or family? If so, why? If not, why not?

Thanks,

Michelle @ MNHQ

I haven't had my email with the codes, I had an email asking me to leave feedback but no codes received yet. Can someone please look at my email and get back to me.

thanks

muminthecity Wed 17-Jul-13 13:27:13

Marking my place - will leave feedback tonight after work.

trikken Wed 17-Jul-13 13:43:27

Q1 Which items from the range did you buy and how much did you spend? Would you say this was good value for money or not?

I bought the 2 pack White Pique Polo Shirts, Basics Boys School Trousers in grey and also the Boys Pleat Front School Trousers so we could compare the two (bought two of each type). Unisex School sweatshirts in (bright) red, The 2 pack of Boys Easy Iron Short Sleeve School Shirts, The 2 Pack of Boys easy Iron Long Sleeve School Shirts. I spent around £50. I would say it is excellent value for money.

Q2 Did the overall quality of the school uniforms match your expectations? If so, how? If not, why not?

The quality of the clothes exceeded my expectations. The sweatshirts I thought were particularly nice and a lovely colour. I thought that they and The pique polo shirts were both lovely materials and softer than I expected them to be. The sweatshirts are a decent thickness which we liked. Even the cheaper boys trousers (Basics) I was pleasantly surprise with and loved the grey colour and feel to these, they look very well made for the price. They do have a slight shine but I quite like it and think it adds to the smartness of the trousers. I wouldn't have thought they were basics to look at. The pleated trousers I like too. They are nice and long which is good with a tall ds but we did have to adjust the middle which is fine and liked that you could do this as most of the others I've bought in this size didn't have the elastic adjuster (8-9) Both long and sort sleeved shirts look good too. The sweatshirts did make the polo shirts very red and fluffy but I expected this of all the school type sweatshirts but everything has washed really well, and looks clean, even the chocolate sauce ds managed to get down the front of his polo shirt has come out so pleased with that. I did stick a colour run sheet in when I washed the sweatshirt as was was worried about the colour running and i'm glad I did.

Q3 If you bought any Teflon® coated fabric, did you like or dislike it? Did you notice any difference to the uniform staying clean at all? Did the fabric help when trying to get stains out? Do you think the fabric is likely to be more or less durable than other school uniform fabric?

I did buy the teflon coated trousers and thought they were well made and liked the look of them and they have washed very well so far. (ds did manage to get his trousers filthy the first day of testing so they did get a good test in whether they'd come out clean). I'm not sure about whether they are more durable than trousers of other ranges but I think they certainly would be just as durable. I do think it is a very good idea as my ds gets his clothes very messy in a short amount of time, so anything that helps keep the clothes looking nice is brilliant.

Q4 Do you have any other feedback that could help F&F improve their schoolwear again next year?

Sizing in trousers was a bit of an issue, everything else seemed fine but my ds is really skinny, so the basics trousers were too big around the middle and had no adjuster (but I cant complain for the price plus normally would try them on him before buying but didn't for this test.) Again second the website stating the colours a bit better for the sweatshirt as had to guess which one was the right red. Overall I thought the schoolwear range was excellent, did find it difficult to get the right size though as a lot of things I wanted was out of stock in his size.

Q5 Finally, if it came up in conversation would you recommend F&F schoolwear range to friends or family? If so, why? If not, why not?

I certainly would recommend them, brilliant value and everything looks really nice.

Generally delighted with my order. The click and collect service also makes it really easy for busy people to manage shopping for things like uniform, although obviously there is something of a risk when "buying blind" in terms of children's clothes.

I bought uniform items for my DS (an above average sized 9.5 year old) and my DD (also tall for age 7, will be 8 in September)

Here are my answers:

For DD I bought pique polo shirts, and a permanent pleat grey school pinafore dress. A 2 pack of polo shirts is £3.50 in age 9 - 10 which I think is excellent value for money. The dress was £6, again amazing value.

For DS I bought the pique polo shirts from the "buy one give one range", and bought for him in age 11 - 12. At £5 for a pack of 2, I do feel that this is good value. I also bought a 2 pack of grey flat front school shorts in age 10 - excellent value at £5.50, and a pair of pleat front school trousers in age 11 - 12 (cost of £6)

I didn't go for the "value" range, but am really impressed with the value for money on the uniform selection I made.

I really wasn't sure what to expect, especially as the prices were much lower than I would usually pay for brand new clothes (which is why we often buy from the second hand uniform sale at school)

I bought the age 9 - 10 for my daughter as I like to get as much wear as possible out of clothes, and err on the side of "too big" when it comes to both my children, especially as they are both so tall. The age I picked was perfect. There is room in the shirts, so they don't look over-big, but will see her comfortably through year 3. The pinafore dress lacks a little shape, but it is well made, and will be perfectly ok for school. I imagine we will actually get at least a year and a half wear from it, obviously depending on how well it washes and lasts.

For DS I bought age 11 - 12 polo shirts, and could probably have gone down to the 10 - 11 as it is certainly not a "stingy" range in terms of sizing. However they do not look over large, and we will get plenty of wear from them.

The polo shirts have a nice soft feel, and washed well. I am a person who DESPISES ironing, so for me, a real test is how well polo shirts dry without creases if line dried. I am delighted to say that these shirts really can get away with not being ironed if hung out to dry grin They kept their shape well, and I didn't notice any shrinkage. They also dried very quickly on the line, although the very un-UK like hot weather helped with this!

The trousers are definitely too big and I will need to hem these, so will be put to the test over the winter. However, the quality is great, and the adjustable waist band a bonus.

The shorts are perfect. A really light fabric, perfect for summer weather. Again, no ironing needed after being hung to dry on the line. The adjustable elastic waist band is brilliant, and will ensure a good fit, and that much longer wear.

I do like teflon coated fabric in general, although to be honest the worst items for staining are polo shirts (marker pens!) which is just something I think we have to deal with, but I hope that it will help in terms of playground tumbles.

Probably to ensure that clothes are better stocked across the age ranges. I did struggle to find some items as the sizes I wanted were not in stock.

I absolutely would, and have done already. The uniform items represent good value for money, and it is convenient to be able to click and collect, although it would be easier, really, to try on in store to be sure that the right size is selected.

I am very grateful for being given the opportunity to try out the range of uniforms, and will be using this range in years to come, provided that the items I bought stand the test of washing and playground wear and tear over the next school year.

lyndseyh78 Wed 17-Jul-13 16:42:01

8 short sleeved girls shirts
14 White polo shirts
4 Pairs boys trousers
2 pairs boys shorts
1 Culottes
5 Skirts
3 packs socks
2 sun hats
2 raincoats

I think for the amount of things i bought it was fantastic value for money i spent £104

The quality of the uniform is really great it has all washed and ironed well and considering how cheap some to the peaces are i can't moan at all about the quality! i will be buying uniform from Tesco's again when this load gets tatty!

My dd came home with mud, suntan lotion & paint on her Culottes and shirts they all washed out well so Teflon coated or not i had no problems

No i think Tesco has a great range of schoolwear, my only advice would be to get more stock as some of the things i wanted weren't available in the sizes that i wanted

Yes i will be recommending to friends as i normally buy uniform from M&S but i feel the quality was just as good for less money so well worth it!

spongebunnyfatpants Wed 17-Jul-13 18:34:31

So far I have only spend £25, as my children are having a growth spurt and I wanted to buy most of it towards the end of the summer holidays.

I did buy some white polo shirts in the packs of two for £3.50 and £2 (as the ones they have are looking grubby from suntan lotion stains), some school shorts and a couple of pairs of the longer length trousers.

The polo shirts are excellent value for money, if the stains don't come out then is very cheap to replace them.

The shorts were 2 pairs for £5.50 again I think this is excellent value.

The trousers were a little more expensive that the other styles, but still good value (I think they were £5, but I can't quite remember)

I have picked out everything else they need including
four packs of 2 polo shirts.
two packs of 2 trousers.
two track suits.
two packs of 2 pe tops.
Two packs of 2 pe shorts.
two swimming trunks.
2 pe bags
1 book bag and it will come to around £75 which I will order later in the holidays and I think for the amount ordered it is excellent value.

I have bought f&f before and I do find it really good quality, it feels nice, washes well and the trousers stand up well to two active boys.

The polo shirts have really gone through it this week, they have been filthy when they have come home, covered in grass stains, suntan lotion and ice pop juice, I have washed them today with stain remover on a 40 wash and they have come out lovely. I was pleasantly surprised.

I have bought Teflon coated before (although not this time, I don't think!) and I have found it to be good, although it seems to make the clothes feel a little stiffer than the normal range.

The stains do seem to come out easier and I do always try to buy this type is it is available.

Some plain coloured t-shirts (red, blue, yellow, green) would be good, for pe instead of the polo shirts.

Yes I would because I think the quality and the fit are good and the price is great.
I especially like the longer and shorter ranges in trousers this year, because my sons are tall for their ages and very slim, so thy always end up with a lot of gathers in the trousers from the adjustable waist bands and with the longer length this wont happen.

Thanks again mumsnet and tesco.

500internalerror Wed 17-Jul-13 18:48:48

I didn't see the socks with days of the week on the soles hmm, I'm going back to look!

MonsterBookOfTyRexs Wed 17-Jul-13 20:14:39

I bought 8 polo shirts <white>, 4 5-6 shorts, 6 5-6 trousers, 4 6-7 trousers, 2x shoes, 1x school lightweight jacket, 2x sports shorts <black>
£100
Excellent value for money. Particularly in love with the jacket.

They were better than expected, the polo shirts were excellent.

I have not come across any stains in the short time I have had the uniform, the red paint stain did not come out of the polo shirt but that is the paint.

A little smaller on the sports shorts, they are the only item too big.

Yes, definitely! I will be buying all my school wear products from Tesco in the future.

ImNotCute Wed 17-Jul-13 21:21:06

5 x polo tops with embroidered school logo £15 (not yet received, will try to add feedback later)
2 x permanent pleat skirts £3 each
1 x scallop edge cardigan £3
7 pairs white 'fresh feel' socks £4
2 x white tshirts for PE £2
2 x black PE shorts £3

Definitely very good value. I would have liked to buy a coat and tights but didn't like the look of what was on offer (eg tights didn't look like they were properly shaped around the heel and toe and my daughter is v fussy!)

Probably better than I expected eg I would have expected the skirt fabric to be cheaper looking at such a low price.  Really like the style of the scallop edged cardigan. The skirts are a good length and adjustable waist is great. 

Q3 If you bought any Teflon® coated fabric, did you like or dislike it? Did you notice any difference to the uniform staying clean at all? Did the fabric help when trying to get stains out? Do you think the fabric is likely to be more or less durable than other school uniform fabric? Socks are nice and soft, but 1 pair had a stain on where they'd been lying against the black plastic hanger.

I think the skirts are Teflon coated. I don't think I've had time to thoroughly test them yet, dd hasn't got particularly dirty when wearing. Quality of the fabric feels good. 

My dds feedback is that she'd like more pockets please! She likes places to tuck stickers she has been given, interesting (!) stones and leaves from the playground etc. As I have to rescue these items before washing I am happy without. 

I would like greater range of tights and coats.

I agree the website does not compare well with other major retailers eg not many options to refine results, so you can end up having to scroll through lots of pages. Several items I would have bought were not in stock in my dds size eg I really like the 'buy one, give one' idea but no stock in her size.

Yes, prices are very good and quality better than I expected. I often buy at John Lewis/ m & s, and the tesco versions aren't noticeably poorer quality (so far- if they last). 

eteo Wed 17-Jul-13 21:30:18

Girl - 4 yr old
F&F Gingham School Dress with Hairband
F&F Girls Scallop Trim Cardigan
F&F 5 Pair Pack of Gingham Frill Trim Socks
F&F 2 Pack of Girls School Cycling Shorts
F&F 2 Pack of Girls Polo

Boy - 5 yr old
F&F 2 Pack of Boys Combat School Shorts
F&F 2 Pack of Boys Polo
F&F Leather Riptape School

I had spent over £50 and pick in store. Excellent value

Overall is fine especially it is affordable.
I quite disappointed on the quality of the school dress. They are too thin otherwise they are brilliant.

Yes, they are great. We only had the shorts that are teflon. He didnt not dirty it. so I cant tell.

Make the gingham dress thicker.

Yes, they are affordable and great.

I used the click and collect. it is very easy and quick to get the delivery. They send me a text to say it is ready. Also we had to exchange a bigger size shoe. No fuss at all.

I spent pretty much all of it on uniform, but for that I managed to fill in all the "gaps" we still had in his current size (he's only just started wearing the size for his age, even though his birthday was 6 months ago) and pretty much completely kit him out for the next size up, including the embroidered school logo stuff. We got flat front shorts, pleated trousers, PE shorts and plain t-shirts, and embroidered polo shirts and sweatshirts from the Uniform Embroidery Service (though these haven't yet arrived, as take a while to prepare). Pretty good value I thought, especially for the embroidered stuff when compared to other providers!

I'd say yes - most of it I found pretty similar to other shops (we've also used M&S and Sainsbury's in the past, and found them all fairly close).
So far we've only "thoroughly" tested the shorts and PE kit, which both seem pretty good - DS said the shorts were "soft and comfy and nice" and he liked them better than his old ones smile and they seem to wash fine, he was pretty happy with the PE stuff too after wearing it nearly all day today.

Can't test the embroidered tops/sweatshirts yet as they take longer to come, but we got some last year and were very pleased with them - it's a lot cheaper than the other providers we were offered, seems fine quality (the polos did fade a bit, but I think all brands do - bright colours) and we got it free in Clubcard voucher exchange last time, which was great!

We've not yet used the trousers due to the heat, but they look pretty good quality and similar to other brands. Will try them and update if/when it gets a bit cooler!

We've not tried the trousers properly yet (see above), but I am fairly neutral on this. I've never really had problems with stains in trousers and they are usually dark colours and relatively resistant fabrics anyway.
However, if something similar could be invented for polo shirts/sweatshirts it would be amazing, DS is terrible for covering his in food and I have to cover each one in stain remover before washing or they still come out covered in grease spots!

Some of the items weren't quite as I expected from the website pictures. The shorts are noticeably darker than the usual school grey, which I was a bit surprised by, and also the PE shorts are the sort with shiny stripes (football style) which I didn't realize before, though it was fine. So better pictures/descriptions would be helpful.

I also found the sizing a tiny bit confusing, as someone already mentioned I briefly wondered whether it meant age or school year. Also some things came in 1-year sizes (e.g. age 7, age 8,...) while others only seemed to come in 2-year sizes (e.g. 7-8, 9-10), like some of the PE things. But DS's PE shorts don't look like they would fit him for that long (though they're fine at the moment)!

I would definitely recommend it to anyone who has Clubcard vouchers to use, or when there are offers on, as these make it very good value. Otherwise, I would say it is equivalent to other places for the items we've tried, so it would depend what offers are on, what is most convenient etc.

I would also definitely recommend the uniform embroidery service, because it's very good value compared to other suppliers (especially when Clubcard vouchers can be used), and I think the quality is at least as good as others I've seen.

Oh yes forgot to say I like the click & collect service too, it's very convenient and nice not to have to pay for delivery or trek to a particular store!

On iPod so can't C&P questions.
Bought vests for both DCs, Socks for DS, a couple of pairs of trousers for DD. I'd bought F&F trousers and shirts for DS last month and DD shirts at Easter so felt they could legitimately fall within the remit of this test so I bought myself some socks and a cardy, and DH some boxers and chinos
Good prices, I've still only spent £75 of the vouchers (plus 50p of my own money).
As for Durability, DS takes about 3 months to make big-toe regions of socks threadbare, Tesco socks are average durability on this scale.
The trousers are a bit on the wide side for both DCs, but they are thin so it's ok. I like the button elastic for this.
The DCs have been wearing the vests to bed rather than to school, they have worn and washed well, though the girls' vests are very long, DD wears hers as nighties.
I got DDs trousers in 9-10 (she's 9.6) as this was the size indicated by the size charts, but they are about 6 inches too long so are going in the cupboard for September next year.
I've found uniforms to be much of a muchness, Tesco is convenient and the delivery was prompt so I'd probably recommend them if asked.
As an aside, my parcel was not "delivered" as such, I came home to a note that said "side passage" (I live in a semi-detached house with no side passage). The parcel had been thrown over my side gateshock. Nothing was damaged, but that's not really the point.

I'd second the request for a decent plain black school coat, ideally warm and waterproof, with a hood. Machine washable would be great too, as mud is a constant winter coating for my DCs.

babsmam Thu 18-Jul-13 11:52:00

I haven't read the whole thread but for those who are having issues inputting vouchers I had to click the add voucher box, input one code, click ok or whatever it is then repeat for each voucher. at the bottom where the order totals and other charges are you should see the total voucher discount appear

janji Thu 18-Jul-13 13:01:16

I bought sweatshirts, blouses, polo shirts, trousers and underwear.

Very very pleased with the quality and fit although I agree that the trousers do come up big and would recommend trying them on first. Sweatshirts are on the thin side and not sure how durable they might be? Will probably need to buy thicker as Winter nears. Was very disappointed that my sons school hadn't opted in to the Tesco school logo embroidery service to add their school logo; maybe Tesco could make this more high profile. With schools / parents (few parents know about this and might be a could say of putting forward this as a good idea to schools).

Teflon coating excellent!

Quality of underwear is great and my children love the various trendy patterns / styles. Socks especially good value as we always lose these so don't want to pay a lot. Quality and laundering very good.

Would definitely recommend to friends!

Yonilovesboni Thu 18-Jul-13 13:01:30

On iPad so can't c + p.
I spent around £85.
I bought:
School shorts x 2
School trousers x 2
2 x white polo shirts
4 x red cardigans
4 x red sweaters
2 x pe shorts (dd1)
2 x pe t shirt (dd1)
2 x pe shorts (ds1)
2 x pe t shirts (ds1)
2 x 3 pack camisole vests (dd1)
2 x 3 pack camisole vests (dd2)
Pack of underwear (dd1)
Pack of underwear (dd2)
2 x gingham summer dresses
Pack of red tights
Pack of gingham edge socks
Pack of grey ankle socks.
I'm pretty sure that was everything!
I've bought tesco uniform before and have always been reasonably pleased with the quality.
I do find with items such as:
Socks
Tights
Vests
Polo shirts
Pe shirts
These all need stretching back to shape before drying.
My children are all petite and I usually buy a size smaller.
I always find the trousers and shorts wash and dry well and can usually get away without ironing!!
I know this uniform will last my children the school year. I will top up with a couple of new tesco polo shirts around February.grin
Thanks for the opportunity to take part.smile

ChisteraWidow Thu 18-Jul-13 14:10:16

1x Easy Iron Short Sleeve Shirts (White)
1x Buy One Give One Polo Shirts (White)
1x Combat School Shorts (Grey)
1x Shorter Length School Trousers (Black)
1x Track Pants (Grey)
1x Sweatshirt (Red)
1x Ankle Socks (black)

This all came to £25.60 which I would say was excellent value for money even if they don't last that long.

Of the clothes worn so far (short sleeve shirts, polo shirts, shorts and socks) they seem to be of good quality. The shorts in particular are of a good "weight" and the socks don't seem to move around or cause problems. The warmer clothes have not been worn by my DS due to the warm weather, but they seem to be OK, the sweatshirt is a bit thinner than I expected, but will probably be a good thing because my DS also likes wearing his school branded fleece.

I love the idea of Teflon coated clothes and think, in general, that they are more durable. I did not, however, buy any this time. I will be buying more clothes later in the school year.

I didn't like the pocket in the school shirt. It just encouraged my DS to put things in it and collected dirt. I would prefer for it to be left off.

I would recommend the clothes, but as has been mentioned a number of times up the thread I don't think a clothes test in the last couple of weeks of term will give a good indication of the durability and washability of the clothes. If this link is still available next term I will post feedback on the more "wintery" type clothes.

DearlyDepartedMrsFinch Thu 18-Jul-13 14:15:26

Marking my place so I can give feedback tomorrow.

I have to say I am a bit bemused as to why the uniform testing is taking place so near the end of term. I have only just spotted the email and hurriedly spent £28 on the Click and Collect service (which is great, BTW).

That said, tomorrow is a non-uniform day and we are going away for the w/e directly after school so feedback will be based on seeing the new, unworn items tomorrow morning. I admit that had I found the email sooner (sent 9th July, IIRC) I would have more time - but, seriously, 10 days before the end of term?

As someone said upthread, a couple of days wear and a few washes, is hardly going to give any idea of the durability of the items.

Any way, despite the general befuddlement, I am very excited about my order and thank you for letting me take part smile

1) what did I buy?
2 x 5-6 years piqué polo shirt
2 x 6-7 years basics polo shirt
2 x 6-7 Teflon pleat front trousers
2 x 7-8 Teflon pleat front trousers
2 pack 5-6 100% cotton tshirt
2 pack 7-8 100% cotton tshirt
2 pack 5-6 sports shorts
2 x 6-7 cargo shorts
2 x 7-8 cargo shorts

£62.50

I thought this was bloody good value for money! The 75p polo shirts were especially eye catching - DS1 has just finished reception and is currently wearing school polo shirts that have the odd paint/pen stain which just won't budge. One of them in particular I just can't get clean, but haven't been able to justify buying new ones as he would probably just roll in paint anyway

2) quality
On the whole, I thought the uniform was good quality-wise. I felt that he 75p shirts were actually much better than the piqué polo shirts, which had some loose threads around the neck. They weren't particularly thick, but this doesn't bother me. If I had an older girl who wore crop tops or bras I wouldn't buy them because I would worry she may feel a bit on display.

Really, the only things I disliked were the sports shorts, which were 100% polyester and a bit too shiny for my liking!

3) all of the trousers I bought were Teflon coated (this wasn't an active choice on my part; I didn't realise until the order came). They have washed well, but we haven't had any Stains Of Doom to really test them against yet.

4) no other real feedback. I found that on the second day of having the vouchers that the site ran very slowly - maybe because so many of us were accessing it, or just coincidence? Lots went out of stock too very quickly, and it was a nightmare getting my basket to update when this had happened. This would worry me if I were having to order last minute

5) I would definitely recommend to other parents - particularly for the cheaper polo shirts for new reception starters!

Fab41 Thu 18-Jul-13 14:25:21

I bought:
Leather boys shoes
Socks
Five pocket style boys trousers x 3
Polo shirts, buy 1 give 1, x 3 packs
Vests x 2 packs
Swim shorts

I spent around £70 and was pleased with that

The shoes were much better than I expected, and my son says they are very comfortable and good for playing football. The toe doesnt have any extra protection, so I am not sure how long they will look smart for, but good so far.

The trousers do have a slight sheen to them, but they fit quite well - my son is very slim so the adjustable waist is needed. The leg isn't too wide, but a specific slim fit trouser would be better.

The polo shorts are a good fit and have washed well. They have endured sun screen and baked beans and who know what else, but came up looking white after a 40 degree wash. I really liked the 'buy 1 give 1' scheme.

The vests are lovely and soft, not been worn yet, but happy with the
quality.

The socks are fine, soft and comfortable, wash well.

I am happy with the quality as I usually buy from M&S, and didn't have very high expectations as the clothes are much cheaper.

The trousers do feel 'coated' and they have a slight sheen. They did wash well and didnt need much ironing. Not sure how well they will wear but time till tell.

I was impressed with the website, I didnt know it was there and I much prefer being able to order online. There was also much more of a range of clothes than I expected.
I would like to see a slim fit trouser for boys.

Yes, good value for the price.

HolidayArmadillo Netherlands Thu 18-Jul-13 15:26:55

Ok first impressions on the order, it all looked decent stuff, I bought, polo shirts (2pack) girls trousers, boys shorts, PE shorts, girls shirts, long and short sleeved girls shirts plus a girls school coat. I was disappointed that the boys school shoes didn't come in sizes smaller than 9 as my wee nursery/reception boy is only a size 7 but its not a huge deal. I received the items quite quickly with the click and collect service and when we unpacked the the first thing we noticed was a weird fishy smell coming from some of the items. Not cool Tesco.

After a quick wash the smell went and the items all seemed to wash ok the first time. I'll come back to this tomorrow.

ChilliJo Thu 18-Jul-13 16:31:44

I bought 2 x embroidered sweatshirts (my son’s school uses Tesco for their logo items, but they only changed from a local supplier after Christmas so I’ve not used Tesco for school uniform at all before now) in the right size for next year and 2 the next size up. I also bought the embroidered PE t-shirt. I will not receive these items until past the end of term as there is a 2 week lead time on embroidered items.

I also bought 12 x white polo shirts (the standard 2 packs, not the value ones); 6 in his current size and 6 in the next size up. They have worn and washed fine so far but then I’d expect them to after only one wash each! The polo-shirts I bought him in September from Sainsburys have just about lasted the year. A bit too small (that’s him growing, not them shrinking) and a lot less white but they’ve survived his first year at school which is no mean feat. I will be hoping for similar longevity from these ones! You should ask us for feedback in 6 months time.

I spent just under £50 on these items. I will use the remainder of the vouchers to buy embroidered cardigans for my daughter who starts school in September 2014 but will wait until just before the vouchers expire as she grows before your eyes and is already in aged 5-6 clothes.

I would say that these items are at a good price but I couldn’t say whether they were value for money until I see how they stand the test of time. Cheap prices mean nothing if the quality of the item is poor and needs replacing. However having looked at the sweatshirts and polo shirts in store, I have no reason to believe that they won’t be perfectly adequate and at least as good quality as the uniform I have purchased elsewhere previously.

I haven’t seen the sweatshirts yet to comment. Plus my son’s school wore woollen jumpers before now so I have nothing to compare it to. The polo shirts seem fine, if anything the collar and buttons sit a bit neater on him than his Sainsburys ones, although perhaps they did when they were still white and new!

I didn’t buy my son any trousers from F&F. He is phenomenally skinny and having looked in store, I could tell that there wasn’t a hope in hell of your trousers fitting him – even with the elasticated waist. I used M&S Teflon coated slim fit trousers for this year and will return to them to get the next size up. They have been an excellent buy; good value and outstanding quality. They look brand new after a school year of being worn by a 5 year old boy. I only say this in case you get any negative feedback on your trousers and wish to compare them to others that have performed well.

I think there should be more consideration for differing body shapes. It’s all fair and well having sizes based on height but I have a slightly shorter than average son who is as skinny as they come and an extremely tall and slender daughter. Can you not consider slim, normal and loose fit trousers/dresses/pinafores/skirts to cater for all shapes and sizes? And more available styles too; this is why I have chosen M&S before now as they have a very wide range of offerings at different price points.

I can’t honestly say yet. I would only recommend something that proved to be durable. Seeing as our school already use Tesco for their embroidery service, it would make life far simpler if I could source all my uniform from one shop; so here’s hoping the polo-shirts stand the test of time and that you introduce suitable slim-fit trousers!

Thanks very much for selecting me.

JambalayaCodfishPie Thu 18-Jul-13 20:17:44

2x permanent pleat skirts, 1xtrouser, 1xculottes, 4xshirt, 2xcardigan, pe polos and cycling shorts, socks and tights. Spent about £55 I think. I was impressed at how much was there once it was all unwrapped and hanging up - seemed like loads!

Quality of shirts, cardigans etc was brilliant - no shrinkage, didnt need ironing when hung straight from washer. She also wore the cycling shorts for a dance comp all day on Saturday and said they were lovely and comfy - not shiny and sweat-making like the others she has.

Really didnt like it. So shiny - and DD seemed to create static. It just looked so cheap too. I found the shiny effect worse after washing too. DD1 is nearly 9 so doesnt get particularly messy but did spill yogurt one day - it washed out easily, but I would expect it to anyway.

I really like the adjustable waist bands. DD1 is tall and thin, so we bought a bigger age than she is, then pulled the waistband right in - with the trousers especially, this made her look really smart, instead of having them flapping around her ankles. Skirt length was good too.

Would recommend it all, with a warning about the shininess of the teflon coated stuff.

DefiniteMaybe Thu 18-Jul-13 22:28:56

I bought 6 polo tops and 2 pairs of shorts as there wouldn't have been time for DS to wear any more than that before the end of term. It came to £10 thanks to the sale that was on. I think this is excellent value for money.
Yes it was as expected. The polo shirts felt nice and soft, the shorts felt polyestery as do all school trousers. However, due to a mix up with my order, I have only been able to get DS to wear them twice. Washing once doesn't really give much information about the longevity of the uniform, which I think is a hugely important factor.
I don't know if they were Teflon coated or not, but have heard that the Teflon coating washes off after a few washes, so it's not a particularly important thing I look at when choosing where to buy uniform from.
DS isn't very good at remembering to do up his trouser buttons yet. He finds the buttons on Tesco school trousers to be very difficult to do up so generally ends up leaving them undone. Normal buttons or even no buttons at all would make the uniform more appealing. Also the polo tops had 3 buttons, which again makes getting the tops on and off more fiddly and take longer. The two buttons that are on the tops I have bought from elsewhere are sufficient. The blue polo tops are a good, bright shade which is much closer to the "official" logo tops that I refuse to buy, which is good.
Yes because the uniform is cheap. I couldn't make much more recommendation than that yet as 1 week isn't long enough to make a good judgement.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now