This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you'd like test a product on Mumsnet please mail insight@mumsnet.com.

NOW CLOSED Schwartz 2in1 recipe mixes reviewer feedback thread.

(676 Posts)
KatieBMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 21-Jun-13 14:27:42

This thread is for the 250 Mumsnetters who have been trying out the new 2in1 recipe mixes from Schwartz.

Here's what they say: "The new 2in1 range offers two easy to use recipe mix sachets in one handy pack: one sachet flavours the main dish whilst the other contains a seasoning for a complementary side dish or topping. With five different varieties to choose from, and an easy recipe on the back of each pack, this is a great way to try out new dishes or transform an existing family favourite from ordinary to special."

Mumsnetters have been trying the following recipe mixes:

- Garlic & Thyme roast chicken + crispy roast potatoes

- Chicken Tikka + mint & cucumber raita

- Mediterranean chicken pasta + crispy crumb topping

- Southern style crunchy chicken bites + BBQ dip

- Garlic & herb crunchy chicken bites + cheese & chive dip

Below are some questions for you to answer but please do feel free to add any other comments you may also have. We'd like you to post at least 3 sets of feedback - answering the same questions for each recipe mix you try. Please also upload any pictures you take of your creations. Please note, photos and comments may be used on Schwartz's pages on Mumsnet and possibly on other marketing material.

Questions

- Which 2in1 recipe mix did you try?
- How would you rate this recipe mix out of 5 (1 being lowest and 5 highest)
- What did you/your DCs think of the overall flavour of the product?
- How easy, or difficult, did you find the 2in1 mix to use?
- Did you follow the recipe on the back of the packet or did you add/take away any other ingredients?
- Would you say the 2in1 recipe mix made your mealtimes easier at all? If so, why? If not, why not?
- Do you think you will buy, or look to buy, Schwartz 2in1 recipe mixes in the future? If so, why? If not, why not?
- Overall, would you say you loved the 2in1 recipe mix, you liked it or you hated it?

Everyone who adds at least 3 sets of feedback to this thread will be entered into a prize draw where one winner will receive a £500 John Lewis voucher!

Thanks and good luck,

MNHQ

georgedawes Sun 14-Jul-13 20:32:13

Which 2in1 recipe mix did you try?
garlic and thyme roast chicken and crispy roast potatoes
nice, DD ate it all, we liked it, flavour was quite subtle though
very easy
- Did you follow the recipe on the back of the packet or did you add/take away any other ingredients?
followed recipe
- Would you say the 2in1 recipe mix made your mealtimes easier at all? If so, why? If not, why not?
don't think this one was any easier than making it yourself
- Do you think you will buy, or look to buy, Schwartz 2in1 recipe mixes in the future? If so, why? If not, why not?
yes I think so, maybe not this one though. Liked some of the others more.
- Overall, would you say you loved the 2in1 recipe mix, you liked it or you hated it?
Liked it

georgedawes Sun 14-Jul-13 20:33:38

chicken tikka
We loved it, DD didn't try it
Very easy
followed recipe
yes, sometimes make tikka but not very often, this was quick and easy
yes I'd buy this one definitely
loved it

georgedawes Sun 14-Jul-13 20:36:30

southern style crunchy chicken bites
liked it a lot, dd liked it too but wouldn't try the sauce. We thought the bbq sauce was ok but not the best
very easy
followed the recipe
yes, this was really straightforward although didn't really need this bbq sauce, prefer others
yes I think so
loved it

emmz05 Mon 15-Jul-13 09:36:28

2in1 Chicken Tikka+ Mint & Cucumber Raita Recipe Mixes

I would rate this recipe mix 5 out of 5 !

Everyone loved the flavour of the product.

It was very easy to use the 2in1 mix.

I followed the recipe on the back of the packet.

The 2in1 recipe makes mealtimes easier as basic ingredients are required which keeps costs low.

I will buy Shwartz 2in1 recipe mixes in the future, as they make mealtimes quick and easy to prepare.

Overall, I would say that I loved this 2in1 recipe mix, my favourite one!

FattyMcChubster Mon 15-Jul-13 11:32:02

Southern style crunchy chicken bites and BBQ dip

Overall flavour nice but not that different from other BBQ products have tried. We all enjoyed it but not the best meal we've ever had.

Easy to follow and make

Followed recipe

Would make for a quick mealtime but not sure it would be any easier. Would probably use for nights when time is limited or can't be bothered cooking from scratch.

Wouldn't buy again. Feel I could make something similar without using a packet. Just wasn't the best I could have hoped for.

Overall liked it.

FattyMcChubster Mon 15-Jul-13 11:35:30

Mediterranean chicken pasta and crispy crumb topping

Overall flavour was subtle but lovely. Not too strong on the flavours but a really nice taste to it. Different to have the crunch on a pasta dish like this but went well.

Easy to make and follow.

Followed recipe.

This would make my mealtimes easier. There didn't seem to be much faffing and I still felt it was a healthy dinner even though it was from a packet. We all enjoyed it too which make things easier!

I would buy this again and recommend it.

Overall loved.

FattyMcChubster Mon 15-Jul-13 11:39:01

Garlic and thyme roast chicken and crispy roast potatoes

Overall flavour subtle but nice. Couldnt really tell all the flavours that were meant to be there but tasted good. The garlic barely registered which I was a bit disappointed with.

Easy to make and follow

Followed recipe

I'm not sure this would make a roast dinner any easier. I've sort of got a little routine when I make a roast and this was nice for a change but didn't make it quicker or easier.

I would buy this again just as a change of flavours for a roast. Wouldnt use it every time

Overall liked it.

SmilingandWaving Mon 15-Jul-13 14:01:26

Southern-Style Crunchy Chicken Bites + BBQ Dip

4/5

Really liked the flavor of the chicken coating, and the dip had a nice flavor as well although I thought it tasted a bit powdery. DS (2.6yrs) loved it although he wasn't keen on the dip and wanted normal ketchup.

Very easy to use.

We used chicken thighs rather than breasts but other than that followed the recipe.

It was easier than making southern fried chicken from scratch, but usually if we were having southern style it would be frozen so not as quick as that but definitely tastier.

Out of all the ones I've tried this would be the only one I would buy.

We really liked this one.

GwendolynMoon Mon 15-Jul-13 18:34:35

Southern Style Chicken Bites and BBQ Dip

My DH and I generally liked the flavour, especially of the dip. I found the flavour of the southern style coating a little bit artificial and salty.

I found it very easy to use

I followed the recipe exactly

Yes, it made it easier. We eat a lot of chicken and it was an easy way to have a different flavoured dish.

I might buy this one as it was simple to use and my DH enjoyed it.

I liked it.

GwendolynMoon Mon 15-Jul-13 18:40:20

The Mediterranean pasta

2.5/3

My DH and I had mixed feelings about this one. We liked the topping but not the overall flavour. I thought it tasted like cheap, powdery Italian herb mix to be honest.

Easy

I added some roasted peppers as well as fresh red pepper

I don't think this really made making a pasta bake easier. The pasta bake dishes I make myself require the same amount of effort as this.

I wouldn't buy this particular recipe mix as I prefer my own pasta bake recipes.

I wouldn't say I hated it but I would go so far as to say I liked it either.

Bomother Mon 15-Jul-13 20:49:07

- Which 2in1 recipe mix did you try? Mediterranean chicken pasta + crispy crumb topping
- How would you rate this recipe mix out of 5 (1 being lowest and 5 highest)? 4
- What did you/your DCs think of the overall flavour of the product? We all really liked it and DS (who is going through a VERY fussy stage) asked for more!
- How easy, or difficult, did you find the 2in1 mix to use? Very easy, good instructions.
- Did you follow the recipe on the back of the packet or did you add/take away any other ingredients? I followed it as it said.
- Would you say the 2in1 recipe mix made your mealtimes easier at all? If so, why? If not, why not? It made DS more excited as he watched the different parts being opened and enjoyed it.
- Do you think you will buy, or look to buy, Schwartz 2in1 recipe mixes in the future? If so, why? If not, why not? This one, yes.
- Overall, would you say you loved the 2in1 recipe mix, you liked it or you hated it? Liked it a lot.

laeiou Mon 15-Jul-13 21:10:32

Garlic and thyme roast chicken and crispy roast potatoes
Quite nice, nothing spectacular
Easy
I followed the instructions
Not easier, but it added a different flavour to a meal that I already make, and the recipe mix didn't take more effort than the standard recipe.
Not this one unless it was on a special offer, I don't really the added cost of buying the recipe mix as adding significantly to the meal.
- Overall, would you say you loved the 2in1 recipe mix, you liked it or you hated it? Liked it.

laeiou Mon 15-Jul-13 21:15:53

Mediterranean chicken pasta and crunchy topping
- How would you rate this recipe mix out of 5 (1 being lowest and 5 highest)?
It was about as nice as jarred sauces. The topping was interesting / different.
Easy
Easier than ccoking from scratch, not easier than using a jarred sauce for pasta bake.
Possibly as my toddler could get involved with it, and enjoyed making and eating it.
- Overall, would you say you loved the 2in1 recipe mix, you liked it or you hated it? Liked it.

laeiou Mon 15-Jul-13 21:20:42

Garlic and herb crunchy chicken bites and dip
Liked the chicken. Didn't like the dip.
Easy
Chicken - yes. Dip - no. I don't see the point of making this dip. I'd buy a ready-made one.
Possibly this one, although I don't see the point of making the dip when a ready-made one is in my opinion just as cheap, and nicer. However, my toddler enjoyed getting involved with the cooking and it's good to make things... maybe I'd tweak the dip recipe somehow.

mindgone Tue 16-Jul-13 11:23:24

Last night I tried both of the crunchy chicken bites.
I would rate them both around a 4/5.
We all, DH, me, our two teenage boys and a visiting teenage boy liked the flavours very much. The BBQ sauce was enjoyed more than the cheese and chive dip.
It wasn't difficult to make, but was time consuming, and made extra washing up!
I stuck to the recipe.
This recipe would not make my mealtimes any easier for the reasons given above.
In future, I would look at the 2in1 packets to see what's available, but probably wouldn't buy them because I generally prefer not to use packets.
I quite liked it for a change.

ibbydibby Tue 16-Jul-13 13:20:12

Arrghhh running a bit behind with these.

On Saturday we had Garlic & Herb Crunchy Chicken Bites

How would you rate this recipe mix out of 5 (1 being lowest and 5 highest) 2/5 - it was nothing special.

What did you/your DCs think of the overall flavour of the product?
"ok - not brilliant" (DS1 - 16 yrs)
"alright" (DS2 - 12 yrs)
The crumb seemed rather bland to me.

How easy, or difficult, did you find the 2in1 mix to use?
Very easy (according to DH who did the cooking!)

Did you follow the recipe on the back of the packet or did you add/take away any other ingredients?
Made it with turkey rather than chicken

Would you say the 2in1 recipe mix made your mealtimes easier at all? If so, why? If not, why not?
No. Think better to do it yourself

Do you think you will buy, or look to buy, Schwartz 2in1 recipe mixes in the future? If so, why? If not, why not?
No - no need, as will probably do it myself

Overall, would you say you loved the 2in1 recipe mix, you liked it or you hated it? Neither hated it nor liked it.

ibbydibby Tue 16-Jul-13 13:36:40

Last night we had Southern Style Crunchy Chicken Bites

How would you rate this recipe mix out of 5 (1 being lowest and 5 highest) 3/5.

What did you/your DCs think of the overall flavour of the product?
DS1, DS2 & I all preferred these to the Garlic & Herb ones we had on Saturday. We didn't like the BBQ dip though, and DS1 ended up going for his beloved tomtao sauce, as usual.

How easy, or difficult, did you find the 2in1 mix to use?
Really easy.

Did you follow the recipe on the back of the packet or did you add/take away any other ingredients?
Recipe as per back of packet, no changes.

Would you say the 2in1 recipe mix made your mealtimes easier at all? If so, why? If not, why not?
No. Would be so easy to do this yourself.

Do you think you will buy, or look to buy, Schwartz 2in1 recipe mixes in the future? If so, why? If not, why not?
No - easier/cheaper to do it yourself.

Overall, would you say you loved the 2in1 recipe mix, you liked it or you hated it? Was ok - but wouldn't say we loved it!

Thanks again for these, MN and Schwartz!

madmumm Tue 16-Jul-13 14:57:46

The third packet I have tested is the chicken tikka and mint raita. This one has bee my favourite so far and give it a 5 out of 5. DH cooked this one and followed the instructions exactly, as he always does! Looking at the amount of onion and cucumber to go to the raita I thought it would be more of a salad, but was actually a suprisingly tasty dip and fairly healthy. The chicken tikka itself was moist and lovely spicy flavour without being either too strong or too mild. We served it with vegetable samosas and naan bread and myself, DH and DS1 all enjoyed. Eve 10 month old DS2 ate the base bread dipped into the raita. would definitely buy this one, quick to prepare and very tasty.

BerryLellow Tue 16-Jul-13 17:01:41

Garlic & Thyme roast chicken + crispy roast potatoes

I thought it was fairly tasty, the DC didn't notice

Easy

Followed recipe

No easier at all, I don't think this cut out any steps for me

This one would be a waste of perfectly good ingredients I already have

It was fine, but rather pointless

Mediterranean chicken pasta + crispy crumb topping

Not bad, but prefer my own

A bit of a faff, as usually I cook this by instinct, but nothing was hard

Followed recipe, out of interest, but served with salad

Not at all, it doesn't save time and actually takes longer

Probably not, sorry

It was ok

Southern style crunchy chicken bites + BBQ dip

Quite liked it

Easy

Followed recipe

This one was probably a touch easier than how we would make it

Possibly this one

It was fine

Sorry for brevity of replies - I'm pushed for time! I think these would be great things for their target market, but it feels sort of wrong to me to use packets when I can make the dish myself just as easily. I enjoy cooking and shopping for food, but for someone that doesn't so much I could see how these would be a handy shortcut.

Thanks for selecting us to try!

ohforfoxsake Wed 17-Jul-13 11:56:19

The chicken tikka one
we liked this one, and the dip was quite nice too.
Very east
No particularly. I'd make this from scratch anyway (but haven't done so in a while so this would prompt me to make this again).
I might buy this one again, but I generally cook from scratch.
I liked it.

Southern style bites and BBQ dip
Mixed reviews here, one likes Southern fried chicken but not dips, one likes dips but not SFChicken, the others liked neither. I could take it or leave it.
Easy enough.
As it was.
Yes as I wouldn't make this sort of chicken at home so in that respect yes.
I might, but only to use the southern crumb as a seasoning. Not the dip.
Disliked it.

GwendolynMoon Wed 17-Jul-13 16:34:36

Questions

Garlic and herb bites

DH and I really liked the flavour of this and the dip

Very easy

I used sour cream in the dip instead of mayonnaise as I don't like mayonnaise

Yes, I would say it made it easier although it wouldn't be difficult to make a similar meal without the mix

I might buy this one as I really enjoyed the flavour

I liked it

DuelingFanjo Wed 24-Jul-13 10:25:31

The Mediterranean pasta

I thought the taste of the sauce and topping was nice but the chicken was very bland, could have done with there being something to cook the chicken in at the frying stage I think. DH ate all the chicken and left some of the pasta.

Fairly easy, a bit more time consuming than the others I have done.

I used a red pepper instead of a yellow one

Not really much easier than doing your own.

I might buy this again as I didn't mind the taste.

didn't dislike it enough to never buy again but it's unlikely my DH would want to eat it so we are a bit indifferent really.

AnneEyhtMeyer Sat 27-Jul-13 16:07:07

4th and last test for me today (was only sent 4 varieties) so I am finally doing the chicken tikka.

I am combining two MN product tests, as I am doing the rapeseed oil test, so I substituted the olive oil for cold pressed rapeseed oil.

It is currently marinating in the fridge, so I'll update once they have been eaten.

zipzap Sun 28-Jul-13 23:29:43

Garlic and Thyme roast chicken

Not impressed - very synthetic sad
I usually roast a chicken with a sprinkle of Schwartz Thyme over the chicken and a knob of butter on top. If I have any left over garlic butter I'll use that in place of plain butter. If I don't I'll throw a handful of garlic cloves into the roasting pan along with some rough chopped onion. Couldn't understand why, if it is supposed to be a garlic and thyme mix the colour of the powder is orange-y. made me wonder what else had been added to boost the flavour and why if it was being sold as garlic and thyme it needed lots of other things in too. Wasn't really distinguishable as garlic and thyme when compared with eating chicken that had been cooked with real garlic and thyme!

Couldn't persuade the dc to try the garlic and herb potatoes (I'd done half plain and half with the mixture on just in case!). No difference in crispiness between normal and herby potatoes.

Not that difficult although I didn't mess around with slashing chicken and rubbing the mix in - I needed roast chicken in a hurry and that would have added extra hassle to the process. I was also worried that it would have dried out the chicken more when it was cooking.

Didn't do the slashing and rubbing in - too much hassle, trying to do it in a hurry. Also worried about it causing chicken to dry out. And finally - I hate messing around with chicken in this way - I'm a bit paranoid about food poisoning from raw chicken and slashing introduces the potential for more things to get accidentally splashed by raw chicken juice!

I used rapeseed oil and butter combination for the herbs on the roast chicken mix - butter went on top after putting on the herbs/oil.

If I'd followed the recipe on the packet it would have made it more complicated and less tasty than using actual thyme and garlic!

I won't be looking to buy this one.

Hated this one sorry - would be much better off with a jar of thyme (and it's easier to sprinkle from a jar too!) and a head of garlic.

AnneEyhtMeyer Mon 29-Jul-13 09:02:09

The chicken tikka went down really well. I used drumsticks rather than chicken pieces. The flavour went all through the chicken.

I used cold-pressed rapeseed oil rather than olive oil for the mix and it worked well.

I would probably buy this again as DH really liked it and it was easy to use. 4/5.

By the way, I still haven't seen any of these packets in the supermarket. Why aren't they available? I would really like to buy some of them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now