This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you'd like test a product on Mumsnet please mail insight@mumsnet.com.

See how MNers are getting on test-driving the new Toyota Auris Icon 1.8 Hybrid. Non-testers: Tell us your fave things about Britain - £200 voucher to be won. NOW CLOSED

(127 Posts)
KatieBMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 14-Jun-13 16:06:38

This thread is for the 8 Mumsnetters who are taking part in the extended test-drive of the new Toyota Auris Icon Hybrid.
Five testers and their families will also be making a video of their test drive - so look out for this on Toyota's page on Mumsnet soon.

Below are some questions for you to answer over the course of the test drive - please don't worry about answering all of them straight away, some may be more relevant after you've had the car for a week or so.

We'd like you to post updates on this thread at least twice a week - more if you'd like! Please also remember to send any photos of your test-drive to me.

Questions
- What were your/your partner's first impressions of the car?
- What do the children think of it?
- How did you find driving a Hybrid? Was it what you expected?
- What's it like to drive?
- Is it a comfortable ride?
- What's the boot space like?
- What do you think about the features of the car? E.g Heads up display, electric seats, smart start system, multimedia system, rear-parking camera?
- Were these features what you expected the Auris to have or additional?
- Are there any other features you?d like the car to have?
- Has testing this car made you more or less likely to buy a Toyota in future?
- Has testing this car changed your perception of Toyota cars at all? If so, how?
- What one thing do you like best about it?
- What one thing would you change about it?

For those of you not taking part in the extended test drive, did you know the Toyota Auris is made right here in Britain? With this in mind, we'd love to know your favourite things about Britain?...What 'Great British Days Out' are a must for you and your family? Are you planning any holidays in Britain this summer? What about British produce? Do you try to buy British when you can? Share your comments and you'll be entered into a prize draw to win a £200 Love2Shop voucher

Thanks and good luck,

MNHQ

alemci Wed 26-Jun-13 14:47:06

yes I agree Glaikit. I really am enjoying this car. and have become much more confident driving it. It is good on petrol.

I haven't tried the cruise control.

sometimes it feels like it has stalled when you are stationary which is weird.

I want one as well but it is a bit pricey and it must cost alot to maintain.

I've been checking out used ones. A couple of years old brings them in much more comfortably to my price bracket.

melliebobs Wed 26-Jun-13 17:51:32

Ah right. There was at 60 plate Auris next to me at work today. It's a lot curvier n smooth. I like the boxy-angry ness of this one

Yeah the shape is different! Maybe I'll wait a while until this ones are classed as used! Dh has just changed his car, so I will have to wait anyway!

melliebobs Thu 27-Jun-13 08:34:13

Dh has my old clapped out banger KA that is currently held together with petrol and rust. We are buying a new/ish one for him in the next few weeks. But this is outta our price range as car buying has also coincided with new boiler/central heating being installed in the entirety of our house. Ouch

That reminds me. Did I win the lottery yesterday?! goes n checks

KatieBMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 27-Jun-13 11:27:48

Thanks for all your feedback and comments so far. Toyota have asked for the following to be posted:
"Love your hybrid? Here at Toyota we are on the look out for MNers who own an Auris hybrid or Yaris hybrid. We'd love to know what you think and chat to you for our This Way customer magazine."

If you'd like to be involved or find out more please PM me.

There is a yaris hybrid..............??? <off to google!>

melliebobs Thu 27-Jun-13 17:37:40

Yerr. Think its 62 or 13 plate onwards. Expensive though. Might as well get they Auris though

melliebobs Thu 27-Jun-13 17:38:31

Don't quote me on the ages though grin

Hmmmmm, there is a possibility!! grin

alemci Thu 27-Jun-13 20:30:30

quite sad to be taking the car back. Managed to get it into a really tight space at work. It is so easy to manouevre. I definitely don't want to drive my old car home again so hoping there may be something else there I like.

sealight123 Thu 27-Jun-13 20:38:39

What I love about Britain-

Caravan/camping holidays in the rain- always ended up huddled up with the family, all under masses of blankets, playing silly games like the word association game

Haribo sweeties

Tea and crumpets ofcourse darling!

Bovril- perfect for when you need a nice warm belly

The sound of a British ice cream van

A proper day out to the seaside- bucket, spade, rock and all

Our music/fashion/culture

How we all love tennis when Wimbledon is on and we all banded together to cheer on the Olympics and Paralympics

Britains spirit!!!

My list could seriously go on

melliebobs Thu 27-Jun-13 21:03:04

what were your/your partner’s first impressions of the car?
On the way to the dealership we played guess the colour. Loved that it is white, but not just white but that BRIGHT WHITE that all new cars seem to be. Externally it’s amazing, gun metal alloys, LED headlights, angry looking at the front (dh’s words) and tinted rear windows. Aesthetically it’s stunning. A far cry from my SEAT Ibiza. However once we were talked through it I’ve never been so daunted on the prospect of driving a car. Let alone a 20k one. Just having the locking system explained had me baffled. ‘So all you have to do is touch the door handle to lock it??’ I asked. Then there is what looks like an on board computer to get my head round AND it’s an automatic. But after a quick spin it wasn’t that complicated and it is essentially a very high tech go cart.

what do your children think of it?
DD is only 15 months so didn’t have much to say on the matter, but thoroughly enjoyed watching Trooping the Colour and making a right mess with some rice cakes in the showroom whilst i went for a test drive! Thank you Toyota!

How do you find driving a Hybrid?
Driving a hybrid I have to admit does take a bit of the fun out of driving a car as it’s an automatic. In my car I like having a clutch and gears as you can use it to your advantage like if you’ve pulled out of a junction a bit too late. But the most noticeable thing is how quiet it is. When you switch it on it’s silent. Same with speeds <20MPH. Even on the motorway there is barely any noise either from the engine or the road. The 3 different drive settings are great so you can drive economically but also have that boost of power if you need it. I really didn’t know what to expect with a hybrid but I know i like it. No. LOVE it! This is Dh’s 1st attempt at an automatic, he found it hard to get over that he had an arm and a leg that was now redundant. But he found it quick to get to grips with as it’s almost impossible to get it wrong.

What’s it like to drive
It takes a bit of getting used to but it’s good to drive and as mad as it sounds I think it’s made me a safer driver. This is due to a display in the centre of the instrument panel that you can scroll to give you varying stats (Journey time, power supply etc) and I have mine set to Average MPG. The car doesn’t have a rev counter but a clock that shows you when the battery is charging and when you are driving economically, so with this I’ve ended up treating my driving like a computer game and trying to increase my AverageMPG by gentle acceleration and keeping the needle within eco. On top of that it handles really well. I’m used to light power steering and this is no different. The steering column is fully adjustable and there is an arm rest for your left arm that now has nothing to do! The wipers and the lights are automatic and will switch on and off as and when it seems to need to. Reversing using the camera is a trust thing, it is a bit gimmicky and nothing beats having a good look round with your eyes but it helps especially with parallel parking. There are also front and rear bumper sensors so it will let you know when you get to close to anything and as I live in a terraced street where the ability to park this way is a must but when there’s a particularly tight space these things really help. The engine is a 1.8 and when not using the Pwr mode seems a bit of a waste, but with alot of motorway driving I had this switched on most of the time to give it a bit of a boost. Speaking of the motorway this brings me on to the cruise control. I found myself often setting it to 70MPH, switching it on and letting it accelerate and brake for me. Bit nerve wracking at first but again helps with the overall efficiency.

Is it a comfortable ride?
Yes it’s very comfortable. I took my mum for a ride and as she has back problems she said it’s a good height to get into. IE it’s not too low down. The seats are leather and comfy and give ample support as they can be lifted up and down and the steering column can be adjusted. The electric seats were a bit too much heat wise and being the middle of summer (apparently) weren’t necessary. The dual air con is also really good. I can have my side of the car freezing cold and DH can have his toasty warm. As for leg room, DH is 6ft1 and with the car seat in the back he still felt he had ample room. However we have had the emergency forward facing car seat in as this was a temporary measure. We normally have an Extended Rear Facing one, but it was a sod to get into my SEAT so i wasn’t transferring it over. But having looked at it and measured it up, this car would still have the case where the passenger seat would have to be so far forward to have the ERF seat in, so DH would really struggle to get in let alone sit and be comfortable, which for such a big car in all other areas seems a shame.

What’s the boot space like?
The boot is HUGE!!! (I’ve sent in pics) In my Ibiza I have to put my iCandy Peach Jogger in on it’s side and that’s most of the boot gone. In this I can lay it flat and still have room for shopping. For work I carry alot of kit and it only takes ¼ of the space compared to ½ of my car. The boot also has a shelf to it so you can have it on a higher setting and this then provides a sort of cubby underneath for smaller bit and bobs or things that are dirty. I also really liked that in the corner there is a moulded pocket (I sent in a pic of this too) that is the perfect size for 2l bottles, wine bottles and milk etc so they aren’t rolling around after a shop on the drive home.

What do you think about the features of the car? E.g. Heads up display, electric seats, smart start system, multimedia system, rear parking camera?
Heads up display:- From what i’ve read about heads up display this car doesn’t have it.
Electric Seats:- I bet they are nice to have in winter. I found them to be a bit burny hot than anything else.
Smart Start:- Well cool. No ignition which was heard to get my head around. Kept trying to go for keys that weren’t there. But literally turn the car on and off at the touch of a button and your keys can be in your bag or pocket or wherever!
Multimedia:- Sat Nav – I like that you can choose the most economical as well as the shortest and the fastest route. But i entered my mums postcode and it kept giving the street over from her! I also found that the directions didn’t give you much notice and it would be good if it faded your music in and out when it spoke to you. The car also beeps at you when there are speed cameras approaching. Not that you should be speeding anyway :-p
CDPlayer/DAB/Aux in – With the AUX in you can plug your MP3 in and there’s a USB port too. I like that it has a DAB Radio as currently I have my phone hooked up to the AUX port and use radio apps to listen to anything digital. For FM it also has autotune, so if you have a station on and go to a different part of the country you don’t have to retune. It also has Bluetooth and you can configure your phone or whatever to play music via this. The music controls are on the steering wheel which makes skipping tracks or changing the volume easy.
Phone – Your mobile can be configured to the car so any calls can be made or recieved via the touchscreen or the controls on the steering wheel.
Rear Parking Camera :- It took me a while to trust it but it does help with parking. Particularly as mentioned before but also getting out of my street as I have to reverse into an alley way and it’s not always possible to see what rubbish has been left in it. But with all good things it doesn’t take away from having a good look around.

Were these features you expected the Auris to have or additional?
A basic model Auris i’d expect a sat nav as standard (which it doesn’t have)and i’d expect to be able to plug in my iPod as standard (which it doesn’t have) Push button start i wouldn’t expect and i could take that or leave it anyway. But for the price of the Hybrid model is i’d expect electric seats/parking camera/fancy multimedia thing for the money i would be paying.

Are there any features you’d like the car to have?
DH has said Nitros, under floor lights and that bouncy suspension stuff but i think he’s taking the piss. Seriously we suggest considering it has Bluetooth/AUX in, it would be good to have somewhere mounted to keep your phone/ipod rather than having it in the cup holder. Also the car is seriously lacking in room/door height so could do with a bit more. DD is in a forward facing Britax and there is barely any room to get her into it once the seat has been belted in. The gaps so small I have to manoeuvre her in head first and kind of drop her into her seat. It’s a hell of a lot easier getting her into the same seat in a 3 door KA in the rain! Finally considering all the gadgets and gizmos it does have and how it seems to centre on multimedia, maybe a built in DVD player/screens on the back of the front seat headrest for those sat in the back. Again not necessary but nice to have, specially as DD grows up.

Has testing this car made you more or less likely to buy a Toyota in future?
As with any major purchase our decision would be more based on what is available in our price range at that particular time. But we wouldn’t rule out going to try something from the Toyota brand.

Has testing this car changed your perception of Toyota cars at all? If so, How?
DH has a fairly positive perception of Toyota as he learnt to drive in a yaris and really liked it, however he has just said his extremely positive perception has been tainted somewhat by as he calls them ‘bloody Aygo adverts during T4’. My opinion was pretty neutral before I got this car. I learnt to drive in a Corolla back in the day for a bit and it was nothing to write home about. I was aware of all the recalls from a couple of years ago but that was so minimal it didn’t make me think negatively of them. Since having an extended test drive my perception is now a positive one.

What one thing do you like best about it
Me – DAB Radio and £0 road tax
DH – That there are times when it’s free to drive as it’s using the battery! Although he’s sure there are more economical cars out there.

What one thing would you change
Me – The clock. I’ve sent a picture of this in as it really bugs me. Someone was obviously paid hundreds of thousands of pounds to design this car, yet it’s like they designed everything and thought ‘crap, i forgot to put a clock in it’. Everything on this car has a purpose, looks really sporty and really techie yet the clock seems a complete afterthought. It’s just a basic LCD display out of the drivers main line of sight. They could have put it near the speedo on the display in the centre, they could have put it on the multimedia unit, they could even have put it on the air con display. But no it’s over towards the passenger side and looking a bit out of place.
Dh – the price! We are in the market for a new car (we will be buying before September) and we loooooooove this but it’s a bit too expensive for what it is &#61516;
So Toyota yoooo hooooo Toyoooooota if you’re reading this, and there’s some weird kind of twist to the whole test driving experience and you’re going to give away one of these, please, please dear god let it be ME! I’ll be your Toyota advertising wench till the end of time!

v3an Thu 27-Jun-13 22:33:58

Are you planning any holidays in Britain this summer?
YES - discover the countryside, and also enjoy the open spaces that London provides - beautiful parks with loads to do and see. Eg. the deer at Richmond park, the zoo at Regents Park, the views from Hampstead Heath, etc...

zombie31 Fri 28-Jun-13 06:25:11

With this in mind, we'd love to know your favourite things about Britain?
Fish and chips, strawberries and ice cream, Cornwall, cream tea's, cobbled streets, red post boxes,

What 'Great British Days Out' are a must for you and your family? Are you planning any holidays in Britain this summer?

yes we love Cornwall, think it is so beautiful. Also love other coastal spots such as Dorset and then love the countryside and quaintness of the Cotswold. We visit these areas regularly throughout the year. We also enjoy short breaks to London- it is an amazing city.

What about British produce? Do you try to buy British when you can?

try to, but often price factors in rather than choice

trice Fri 28-Jun-13 11:20:42

Fave thing about Britain: Seaside resorts, buckets and spades, rock pools, ice cream and fish and chips. National Trust tea shops.

Great British days out: Forbidden Corner is just magical.

I always try to buy British. We have the best fashion, crafts and art. Local produce veg, fruit cheese and meat is healthier and tastier.

One of my favourite things about Britain is that you can be in the middle of a bustling city and merely 2 hours drive away you can be in the most awe inspiring, majestic countryside that there is.

Our favourite Great British day out is to Portavadie Marina on Loch Fyne. It's a world class resort with fabulous restaurants and facilities, amazing berthing rates and they're building a spa.... if I could I would just move in!

We try to 'buy British', but sometimes it's far too expensive to allow us to do so.

alemci Fri 28-Jun-13 21:27:44

gave my friend a lift to airport and felt confident about driving car there using sat nav. car is so easy to drive and I feel confident whereas I always felt nervous in my own car if I was out of comfort zone. sad to give it back

melliebobs Sat 29-Jun-13 10:00:59

Heading back with Raul (that's what I've named this car) although shit myself when i got a phone call saying apparantly it was due back yesterday. Whoops

melliebobs Sat 29-Jun-13 11:39:08

It's gone sad

alemci Sat 29-Jun-13 17:20:36

so has mine sad. I was so tempted to buy another car from the showroom but I came home with my old car again.

cbatbh Sat 29-Jun-13 20:27:05

Picked it up today. First drive on motorway eek! But was surprisingly easy to get used to an automatic and keep left leg and left hand still. Keyless was good on way back from shop and keys were in the bottom of my bag. Will report back when I have done more driving and can answer all the questions.

MissSingerbrains Sat 29-Jun-13 21:45:40

We'd love to know your favourite things about Britain?...

Pubs and beer gardens, TV, comedians, theatres, stately homes, fish and chips, Pimms, shops... the list goes on!

What 'Great British Days Out' are a must for you and your family?

We love a visit to Blackpool every couple of years - the kids and the adults enjoy it.

Are you planning any holidays in Britain this summer?

Yes, we are going camping in Aviemore, Scotland - I can't wait (even despite the midges!)

What about British produce? Do you try to buy British when you can?

Yes, when finances allow! British fruit and veg always taste better, and when it comes to meat, I try to buy British too. Having said that, the financial aspect is always a concern as quite often imported produce is cheaper (why???)

Solo Sun 30-Jun-13 01:39:24

Feeling very lucky to have been chosen to test drive the Auris and picked it up on Saturday lunch time. I will wait a while to review it, but I will say...

I waaaaaaaant one!!! grin

Letticetheslug Sun 30-Jun-13 15:49:12

I have a 3 year old one and love it. I need to drive an automatic ( back problems) and had a corolla automatic before which I adored. This is even better. I thought I wouldn't like the keyless ignition, but now I have it I wouldn't go back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now