Please note: This topic is for your comments and feedback on Product Tests being run by Mumsnet. It is not the place to post (or ask for) comments on other products. If you do this, your comments may be deleted. If you'd like to run your own product test, please email insight@mumsnet.com. If you are an entrepreneur or start-up and would like to ask for some feedback, please visit our media requests topic.

The toy car trial that's apparently 'only for boys'

(42 Posts)
AmandinePoulain Fri 31-May-13 15:34:26

I've just received an email inviting parents of boys aged between 4 and 7 to fill in a questionnaire about some new designs for toy cars and trucks, because I'm on the MN panel. Why are only boys allowed to have an opinion on toy cars? I thought MN was trying to discourage the concept of 'girls toys' and 'boys toys', this survey is hardly going to help with that, is it? hmm

My dds play with cars so why aren't dd1's opinions valid, just because she's not a boy? hmm

YoniMatopoeia Mon 03-Jun-13 05:29:20

Well done MN.

Iggi101 Sun 02-Jun-13 20:00:57

A good result thanks

AmandinePoulain Sun 02-Jun-13 19:27:40

Thank you smile

OliviaMMumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 02-Jun-13 16:55:55
KaseyM Sat 01-Jun-13 18:19:26

How disappointing on both accounts. If they ever do decide to target toy cars at girls they probably won't bother finding out what they think. All they will do is paint it pink and put some inane comments like "I look gorgeous in this car!"

Iggi101 Fri 31-May-13 23:07:29

I would not expect anything other than casual sexism from a profit-orientated toy company trying to sell more product; but I do expect more from MNHQ and feel the world is a wee bit sadder tonight as their choice/responses have been crap.

That's not actually a joke, if mumsnet can't put principle before profit what bloody hope is there.

5madthings Fri 31-May-13 19:04:51

I have just filled it in, its for tonka toys.

There was an additional comments box at the end.... I may have told them that I don't appreciate gender discrimination, especially when its aimed at children...

5madthings Fri 31-May-13 18:52:39

Its tonka i think neo

AmandinePoulain Fri 31-May-13 18:51:28

And yes, I do have other things to worry about but starting this thread took up about 5 minutes of my time, I'm perfectly capable of thinking about more than one thing at a time thanks hmm

AmandinePoulain Fri 31-May-13 18:49:43

Exactly Beau, you've kind of made my point there haven't you? Boys and girls are both perfectly capable of playing with cars and forming opinions on them! wink

I don't really get it Olivia - surely you can just say 'no, we're happy to gather our users opinions but you can't specify just boys' confused, thanks for responding though.

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Fri 31-May-13 18:46:57

What company is this anyway? MNHQ please be sure to tell them that I won't be buying their cars for either my DDs OR my nephews.

ashesgirl Fri 31-May-13 18:38:33

Pretty disappointed with MN response tbh. We know that's what they asked for but do you really want to support that?

LizzyDay Fri 31-May-13 18:34:47

Rake - yes totally agree, since it's easy to split and analyse the boy/girl data, why on earth don't they just gather both? They might learn something.

BedHog Fri 31-May-13 18:31:41

I filled in the survey with my son. It did specifically ask for boys, but one of the first questions was 'are you filling in this survey with a. a boy or b. a girl' confused

Modern Tonka toys are rubbish quality anyway.

Mintyy Fri 31-May-13 18:30:39

Yes, very inconsistent with the campaign to stop gender stereotyping in selling toys which I thought Mumsnet was fully behind?

Why not refuse to do this particular survey?

5madthings Fri 31-May-13 18:30:11

Will you also tell them that we think they are being riddiculous in discriminating in this way?

Perhaps point them in the direction of the 'lettoysbetoys' campaign...

OliviaMMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 31-May-13 18:25:45

Hi there
Thanks for your comments here -
We do appreciate where you're coming from but this is the particular group that the client wanted responses from in this instance and we will of course pass on this feedback.
Thanks again
MNHQ

shock

Doobydoo Fri 31-May-13 18:19:49

I haven't received that email...I am on the panel and have a 6 year old boy...send me the email!

bigkidsdidit Fri 31-May-13 18:11:57

I think the OP (and the rest of us) are able to worr yabout more than one thing at once hmm

Soup the thing is that would be highly unlikely to happen. THey would ask about your daughters playing with barbies.

yes I think it would. what would be best (and most robust in terms of evidence gathering) would be questions about what your child thinks about this toy, and then is your child a boy/girl, age 0-3, 4-6, 7-10 etc. Then if they were really only interested in boys 4+, for example, they could strip other groups out at will, without having alienated them in the first place.

SoupDragon Fri 31-May-13 17:55:31

There is no reason to only seek the opinion of one sex when both use the product. Oh...apart from sexism.

So, would it be sexism if they had asked only for girl's opinions about playing with cars?

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Fri 31-May-13 17:53:17

Pearly then that's your foolishness. There is no reason to only seek the opinion of one sex when both use the product. Oh...apart from sexism.

BeauNidle Fri 31-May-13 17:38:13

Of course it is a non -issue. Who had died because of it. The world has gone mad if that is all there is to worry about. I couldn't give a shit whether my DD was playing with a train which was a 'boys' toy or my DS's playing with dolls from the pink aisle of toys r us. I know where to find what I am looking for and that is all I care about. Certainly wouldn't be frothing over who was playing with what as long as it gives me a bit of peace!

LinusVanPelt Fri 31-May-13 17:34:37

I hope you'll come back and let us all know, the next time you see a study or survey from toy manufacturers about girls playing with dinosaur toys, PearlyWhites. Since sexism in the toy industry is such a non-issue. hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now