This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you'd like test a product on Mumsnet please mail insight@mumsnet.com.

NOW CLOSED Toyota Verso tester review thread. Non-testers, tell us how you'd like your car to be more versatile - £200 Love2shop voucher to be won

(153 Posts)
KatieBMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 03-May-13 11:56:13

This thread is for the 8 Mumsnetters who are taking part in the extended test drive of the Toyota 7 Seat Verso over the next few weeks. Five testers and their families will also be making a video of their test drive - so look out for these on Toyota's page on Mumsnet soon.

Below are some questions for you to answer over the course of the test drive - please don't worry about answering all of them straight away, some may be more relevant after you've had the car for a week or so.

We'd like you to post updates on this thread at least twice a week - more if you'd like!

Questions
What were your/your partner's first impressions of the car?
What do the children think of it?
Do the children fit comfortably in it?
How easy is it to fit car seats/ adjust seats etc?
What's it like to drive?
Is it a comfortable ride?
What's the boot space like?
How easy or difficult was it to change the layout of the seats?
Does it have any useful extras - cup holders etc?
Has testing this car made you more or less likely to buy a Toyota in future?
Has testing this car changed your perception of Toyota cars at all? If so, how?
What one thing do you like best about it?
What one thing would you change about it?

For those of you not taking part in the extended test drive, the Toyota Verso is all about versatility, so we'd like to hear your thoughts on this - please share on this thread how you'd like your car to be more versatile.
What do you wish your car could do to help make your life easier? If there was one feature or gadget your car could be fitted with what would it be?
Share your comments and you'll be entered into a prize draw to win a £200 Love2Shop voucher

Thanks and good luck,

MNHQ

thepatioislumpy Wed 08-May-13 20:24:54

I'm a pro at packing light grin

PinglePongle Wed 08-May-13 21:02:09

non tester - would love to have more pull out trays and drinks holders brew for long journeys and drive through food.

Also the option to have some kind of mirror to see baby when shes in the car seat facing backwards so that I can see if she's ok from the front without leaning over the front seat
smile

Tigerlily13 Wed 08-May-13 21:26:46

Well, when I collected the car I was by myself, and first impressions were good. It's a lovely glittery white, tinted windows, much smaller than expected for a people carrier!
I was shown around the car, impressed with the touch screen audio system. We're about a 40 min drive from the dealer so it got a good run on the way home. Having never driven a diesel I did notice that it is noisy compared to my usual petrol car. However, it is smooth and comfortable to drive and accelerates nicely.
The following day we attempted to fit the car seats, which is where the problem lies, as my toddler car seat doesn't fit! Had to beg and borrow from friends to find a suitable seat for my eldest to use.
Then hubby went to fix the isofix base for the baby seat, and that took him about half an hour, first trying to find the isofix anchors, then actually attaching the base. So so far not very child friendly! I have also found that my eldest can kick the back of the drivers seat, which he shouldn't be able to - so not much space in the car.
Plus side my huge double pushchairs fits easily in the boot - with the seats down anyway!

IwishIwasmoreorganised Wed 08-May-13 21:35:19

I have a peugeot 5008 and wish it had a useable cup holder for the driver (the one between the 2 front seats is too far back and the armrests get in the way of using it.

I'd also love it to have sliding rear doors - we ummed and ahhhed lots about the importance of this, but it's my one big regret.

GetKnitted Wed 08-May-13 22:38:18

If our car was fitted with a hoover (dirt to go outside please) this would be excellent, as ds could clean up after himself as we go, aren't I a lovely mother.

wonderingagain Thu 09-May-13 07:05:31

We nearly bought a Verso 10 years ago but opted for the Multipla because it has reclining rear seats. The extra seat in the front was great. We now have a Nissan Tino and like the parking camera. It also has a 'curry hook' under the table at the back for takeaways.

My main issue with cars is storage for sundries. Built in bins would be great and a way to stop stuff rolling around the floor. Intuitive controls for audio etc are also essential. The Tinos are good. Decent space for school bags and coats behind seats.

wonderingagain Thu 09-May-13 07:07:46

Oh and please make it easy to clean with fewer nooks and crannies that collect debris.

I would love to have a car that looked smart and not like a 'family car' but was extremely family friendly.

There needs to be wipe clean surfaces, easy access to isofix, cup holders, storage, good sized boot and a tinted anti-sun glare window treatment so save little faces in the back of the car. It also needs to be easy to get in and out of and have enough space to manouvre around the back trying to get kids strapped in etc.

jennyn8545 Thu 09-May-13 15:29:15

Not testing, but how did i miss this one sad
we have three sons aged 2, 6 & 7. We currently have a vauxhall astra 1.6 which barely fits us all in with the boosters and baby seat.
Looking at the specs of the Toyota Verso, it looks fab. I really like like idea of the 2 occasional seats at the back, perfect for friends, storage and pets even. The one thing gadget i would like in my car would be built in dvd players, to keep the kids entertained on long journeys smile

janekirk Thu 09-May-13 17:25:13

A projectile vomitting shield for the back of the front seats! How can people so little eject their food with such force !!!

whattodoo Thu 09-May-13 18:08:21

Non tester.

Better storage. Particularly for all the little essentials such as de-icer, scraper, gloves, etc.

Heated wing mirrors.

Seatbelts that adjust to the wearers height.

youmaycallmeSSP Thu 09-May-13 19:57:38

Not a tester. I would like my car to have a roof compartment with retractable helicopter rotors so that I could zoom my car-hating baby over traffic jams. Toyota, if you would be so kind...

flamingtoaster Thu 09-May-13 21:05:34

Non tester - not for versatility but one thing which really annoys my friends and me is the thickness of the front pillars which obscures so much. So even when in our perfect driving position we find ourselves leaning forward to make sure we are not missing anything when turning right. I know the thickness is to do with strength and safety but if a way could be found to make them thinner (but still just as strong) it would be fantastic.

The other feature which would help would be a boot which didn't have a "lip" that stuff had to be lifted over.

daisybrown Thu 09-May-13 23:17:51

Safety stop electric windows all round, not just the driver's window.
Seat belts that stop children leaning down or across the car whilst the car is in motion.

Steffanoid Thu 09-May-13 23:42:51

non-tester as a car driver about to have a DS a car where your folded up pram could go, you then put the shopping on top and could still get said pram out without having to take all the shopping out or without having to put the pram on top and squash things,
also a way of having pre set things on the rearview mirror, it's such a pain getting it fight again after dp has changed it. maybe give it 2 positions it can remember

CMOTDibbler Fri 10-May-13 16:47:33

I've got a Discovery, which is fabulously versatile, and I love it.

My pet hate though, is when the seatbelt things wobble around so much they are a beggar to click into when you are reaching across to belt in a child.

My dream versatility thing as a driver with a disability would be to be able to move the controls such as lights, wipers, indicators to either side so a driver with a l arm disability could have everything on the right and vice versa.
Or a universal system where cars had an interface so you could turn on the device and have a reciever on the steering wheel to control lights etc. I know the device is available, but they are specific to each car and cost £££££

HamletsSister Fri 10-May-13 18:11:32

Flexibility in terms of seating / luggage / seats down to carry big items.

Easy to change configurations of seats etc.

Gadgets that can be operated by me / another idiot with my limited knowledge.

Heated seats (love these in our current car and saves our constant bickering about too hot / cold)

Some sort of dustbin or rubbish arrangement. We end up with a carrier bag wrapped round the gear stick.

Options for towing / roof box that don't require buying or fitting of expensive extras.

Would have loved to be a tester. So jealous!

ouryve Fri 10-May-13 23:16:52

Non-tester here, but having 2 boys with SN, any car would make our lives easier if it allowed carseats and boosters to be properly fitted to their absolute maximum weight and height.

Whilst still having a boot that you could get an SN bugg in, along with shopping for a family of 4. Had an Avensis and a Mazda 6, since having the boys. Great boot space. Not so good for carseats.

preety18 Sat 11-May-13 09:33:32

Non tester.
But proud owner of one of them. Absolutely love this car it's perfect for a family with individual middle seat which can be move back and forward and recline to your desire. And fit easily 3 car seats. The boots is massive with 2 bonus seat which we find quite helpful when our friend (family of 3) and ourselves (family of 4 at that time) went camping to France and while in France we only used our car to travelling around. The only thing I might add to the cars is some cup holders for the middle seats which can make life much easier.

Fast Sat 11-May-13 09:57:41

Non tester.

I would love sliding doors at the back. My car is huge as it is so sliding doors would make it much easier in car parks with narrow spaces.

Storage solutions - someone mentioned it up-thread but a place to put your handbag would be great! At the moment mine either gets thrown in the footwell or on the passenger seat but then I'm paranoid someone is going to try and grab it when stuck in traffic.
Or a dedicated place for things like cans of de-icer, scraper etc to stop them rolling about.

thepatioislumpy Sat 11-May-13 13:51:11

grin grin grin grin grin

Once I had been selected I suddenly realised they'd need my licence. Which was 2m overdue for renewing blush

I took it to the Post Office last Friday and was quoted a 15 working day turnaround. Which would have been a problem as there were then only 9 working days left before I was due to collect the Verso.

Happily DVLA (I salute you!) have returned it to me in this morning's post - a mere 4 working days after it was submitted. So I am very happy and I can finally get very excited about taking the dcs and various other personages on holiday in a fortnight! grin

Even better is that's it's clean smile

Mandy21 Sat 11-May-13 15:24:12

I'm not a tester but the feature I'd like to see is the option of having everything that you'd normally have for the 2 back seats for the 3rd middle seat - (whether that be TV screens built into the seat infront, or a tray that folds down, or a pocket on the back of the chair). I think there are lots of families now with 3 children, and whoever ends up in the middle seat usually ends up with the short straw. It would take some clever design but I'm sure Toyota (and other manufacturers) are capable!

BatCave Sat 11-May-13 16:03:05

We've just got back from holiday with the Verso. I have to say it was just as well we had it as we had so much stuff (pictures to follow Katie). It fit an incredible amount of our holiday luggage in (a week caravanning in Cornwall) and I could still see out the back window. Bonus.

It was lovely a comfortable drive (about an hour and a half) much smoother than my previous diesel, and I'm still stupidly excited about 6th gear! Although I couldn't work out how to use cruise control. There is a reminder to change gear too, which I guess is good for fuel consumption, but made me feel like I was back in driving lessons!

Kids were comfy - toddler liked the little table that folded down. I have found that the seats are difficult to move back and forth unless you're actually sat in them (ie hard to do when there is a child car seat in - not impossible but just a bit stiff). There is also a good deal of legroom even though there is a carseat behind.

The extras like cup holders, secret compartments, the two glove boxes were ample. And the music system is great, once we got used to it, the touch screen is easy to use. We like the DAB radio, although not as many stations as my home radio) and we connected the iPod with USB and could play our library. Volume controls on the steering wheel but what I would have also liked is a quick pause/stop button when I needed to temporarily stop the music quickly (I have this on my old car and use it quite a lot so have missed it).

One big thing though - we broke down!! Not a major fault, but the fuel gauge was inaccurate and the fuel light didn't come on until I'd actually run out of fuel! There was a countdown thingy and I should have had enough left but it conked out and we had to wait with 2 kids for the AA! Toddler thought it was a great adventure and the AA man is up there with batman and spiderman, the baby was hungry and crying though so a little stressful. Toyota were fantastic and helpful though and the AA great service too, the AA guy did say that this is a common fault on many of this type of fuel gauge so not necessarily unique to Toyota or the Verso, so it wouldn't in itself put me off buying the car.

Halfbaked Sat 11-May-13 19:25:23

Non tester
I'm looking at buying a Toyota verso as I currently have a Yaris and love toyotas. I need more space for a growing family and extended family.
I'd like to know if you can get a baby carrier a group 2 and a high backed booster across the 3 seats? Or a baby carrier and two high backed boosters?
I'd like somewhere to put my handbag, more space for rubbish and the ability to easy segment the boot space so things don't roll around if small .

Tigerlily13 Sat 11-May-13 20:39:21

I would love a car with sliding doors - no more driving round car parks trying to find a big enough space width wise to get the kids out.

Got to say I was looking forward to using the DAB radio, but it keeps retuning, so a bit pointless really. Also the reversing camera seems like a good idea, but it makes everything look like it's miles away when it's not!

Lots of storage though, and the cool box in the glove box is a fab idea.

Is anyone else having trouble uploading the videos?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now