Please note: This topic is for your comments and feedback on Product Tests being run by Mumsnet. It is not the place to post (or ask for) comments on other products. If you do this, your comments may be deleted. If you'd like to run your own product test, please email insight@mumsnet.com. If you are an entrepreneur or start-up and would like to ask for some feedback, please visit our media requests topic.

NOW CLOSED Do you have an unloved room in your home? Sign up here to revamp it with B&Q and receive a £300 gift card

(313 Posts)
TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 03-May-13 11:25:14

As part of our partnership with B&Q, we're looking for 20 MNers who have an unloved room in their home that they'd like to revamp. Do you have a sad and tired spare room you'd like to make over? A living room in need of a spruce? Or a bedroom crying out for redecoration?

Here is what B&Q say about their unloved rooms initiative: "This summer, we're launching a new initiative to help Britain say goodbye to its unloved rooms. Most homes have one - a spare room that's more of a cupboard, a tired and broken bathroom from a different era, even an overgrown garden that's become a jungle. With our vast range of home decoration products and simple expert advice, we want more people to see that making a big difference doesn't need to be difficult or expensive. Whether it's picking the right look, choosing the right products, at the right price or simply finding out how to make it happen, we're making sure you'll find it all under one roof at B&Q."

If you're selected to take part you'll:

- Be sent a £300 B&Q gift card to spend as you wish on materials to re-decorate/revamp your unloved room
- Need to be available to complete your room revamp between 14 May and 3 June
- Write feedback on how your revamp is going during that time on a thread on MN
- Need to send in photos to MNHQ of before, during and after the revamp

10 of the 20 participants will also need to film their revamp process on their smartphone (via an app we'll need you to download). Those MNers will receive an additional £25 B&Q gift card as a thank you for doing filming.

B&Q would also like participants to attend a You Can Do It class in store if possible - this would be free of charge but they're only available in certain stores. This isn't essential to taking part but please indicate on the sign up form (link below) which store you could get to if you would like to attend.

If you'd like to take part, please sign up here.

Any queries, please post them here.

Thanks and good luck
MNHQ

Visit B&Q's pages for more inspiration

Londonseye Tue 21-May-13 07:21:00
Bracketfungus Mon 20-May-13 23:10:09

Would you mind linking it on here? I've lost the insight section!
Ta

Londonseye Mon 20-May-13 18:44:24

There is a feedback thread now open smile

Bracketfungus Mon 20-May-13 17:35:26

I really like this wallpaper
caicos

Bracketfungus Mon 20-May-13 17:33:00

And it definately goes.

Bracketfungus Mon 20-May-13 17:32:08

By the way, 4 little dudes, I love the wall paper and definately think it is not too much.

Bracketfungus Mon 20-May-13 17:30:44

I think I've blown the free course then, because the guy asked if I had looked on the website, and I said I'd go away and look. I might have taken the phone number down, but I was having a very busy day at work so if I did I have lost the bit of paper.

I am now dithering which room to do..... I had planned on the extremely unloved spare room which requires roof insulation and built in shelving, but I fear the time/ budget won't stretch to that. Now I am wondering about my bedroom which is grey with a ghastly teddy bear border which I LOATHE. Is the point to transform a regularly used and vile room, or to sort out a neglected corner?

How are the rest of you managing combining this with work?

FourLittleDudes Mon 20-May-13 08:24:27
FourLittleDudes Mon 20-May-13 08:23:51

http://m.diy.com/mt/www.diy.com/nav/decor/wallpaper-wall-stickers/wallpaper/blues/Sophie-Conran-Bohemia-Teal-Wallpaper-11547506?tab=rev&action=detail&un_jtt_v_r=52 This is the wallpaper that I've gone for, I'm worrying now that its to bright, its only for one wall though. The paint is a neutral colour, http://m.diy.com/mt/www.diy.com/nav/decor/paint/interior-paint/natural-brown-cream/dulux-paintpod-paints/Dulux-PaintPod-Matt-Emulsion-Natural-Wicker-5L-10299045?tab=rev&action=detail&un_jtt_v_r=53 but I'm not sure now that it goes. Its just a shade darker than magnolia.

I don't know whether to spend the rest of the money on curtains and cushions, or wall lights and floor lamp. At the moment the wall lights are gold coloured and old fashioned, the main light is silver and modern so they don't match. Ds3 and ds4 will climb a floor lamp though. The curtains are natural stone sort of colour but thin and cheap looking, we don't have any cushions at the moment, although they would probably just get thrown around by the boys. They would hide where the sofa is starting to look scruffy though.

gazzalw Mon 20-May-13 07:37:37

This is not going entirely to plan. DS and I went to our 'local' (about a 30 minute bus journey away) to order the list of items DW had chosen and to pick up the "click to collect" items she'd ordered on Friday - the guys couldn't do the order without the codes (which DW hadn't put on the paper having had to transfer from her 'trolley' list) and the items to be collected hadn't arrive hmm. Now I've got the printed off trolley list I'm going to go into the branch near work and see if I can order/buy there and have delivered to our home sometime this week.

DS and I did however manage to carry home six rolls of rather heavy wallpaper so we can make a start sooner rather than later.... grin

FourLittleDudes Sun 19-May-13 17:38:09

I have been to b&q today and done some shopping!

I bought:

Wall bracket for the tv
Shelf things to go under it
Paint pod paint x2 - that stuff is ££££
Filler and sand paper
Gloss
Big fat anchor screw things
2 rolls of wall paper
Paste and brush
Trunking

And then decided my feet were hurting to much and have up for today smile B&Q isn't fun with a toddler and a baby!

I still have £125 left to get either curtains and cushions or wall lights and a floor lamp, I can't decide.

Londonseye Sun 19-May-13 12:47:32

DP is painting our Tree of Life on the wall as we speak. I need to spend a day sifting through charity shops for small vintage looking photo frames so we can add family to the tree. We had to buy stuff like new bedding, furniture, so we have spent another £650. But it means our DS and DD can get rid of their rubbish little wardrobes and have the ones from our room when we get new ones. So everyone benefits. DP is using some of our left over voucher money to buy tester pots to paint murals on the kids walls, so we are almost doing a three room makeover out of this. And I am mlooking at new carpets tooblush. I will post our before and after photos once complete which will be before the week is done!

I quite like the deadline pressure. I work to deadlines in my job, and it makes me do things. I always thought it was the 3rd of June too. Which is when our furnitue arrives, so it will be a race to build it and photo graph it. But might just take a photo with our old furniture in case flatpack makes me flappy.

gazzalw Sun 19-May-13 12:25:37

Aargh...hit the first obstacle.....we are a car-free household and as our two closest B&Qs are at least a 30 minute bus journey away, we wisely opted to do a home delivery of the DIY 'goodies,' with the exception of some soft furnishings which needed to be clicked and collected in-store.

The gift card was due to redelivered yesterday (having missed the initial delivery on Thursday) with Royal Mail and it arrived at 1.00 pm. DW had 'loaded' the trolley to process as soon as the gift card arrived, before we went out to our various weekend social events. Fine and dandy except for the fact that you cannot use gift vouchers online at B&Q. AAAARGH. No time to go to an in-store shop yesterday so doing it this pm, again having to be fitted around various parties etc....And of course this means that only some of the items will be carried home by me and DS - just hoping that the delivery can be scheduled ASAP.

The pressure is on......

What amazed me was that I thought that we'd never be able to find £300 worth of stuff to buy (had already discounted furniture as matching new stuff would have cost the entirety of the budget). Well, DW and DS have 'spent' virtually the whole lot bar about £15.00 worth which we may still need to use if we need to replenish stuff that we've already got in our supplies, such as wallpaper paste, paint brushes....It quite shocked me! And we haven't gone over-board...

I've NC'd for this, hope that's ok with HQ.

Bracket the courses say the cost on the website, but you should have had a phonecall from B&Q to book you up for free.

Babieseverywhere Sat 18-May-13 23:13:37

I'm off shopping for paint tomorrow, hope I get the right colours, type, amount smile

Bracketfungus Fri 17-May-13 23:56:09

Looking forward to sharing the experience with you all.. And hope we all get finished on time!

Bracketfungus Fri 17-May-13 23:52:31

Oh yes I meant to ask... How are the 'you can do it' courses free? The wall fixings one I would like to go on seems to cost a tenner. It that right?

Bracketfungus Fri 17-May-13 23:50:55

Hi everyone, I can't believe this is actually happening!

Mind you, dp and I have already started to disagree about the shelving blush

Happy hippy chick.... I am sure it was always the 3rd of June too.... Strange.

ChocolateMama Fri 17-May-13 21:48:24

Got my vouchers today and did a shop at a large B&Q a little way from us. Decided to drive the extra distance so that hopefully we would get a larger range of items to choose from. We are doing our DSs bedroom, and got some rather lovely bookshelf wallpaper - quite silvery when it catches the light, plus a lover plantation shutter style blind, paint, brushes and other materials. Came to around £220 and have the extra to spend on soft furnishings another time.

I'm really glad you got picked chippy, your always so nice and helpful, it's good to see you get something goodsmile

ChippyMinton Fri 17-May-13 17:26:04

I enlisted a friend's help today and we did a major trolley dash around B&Q - three trolleys blush.

Couldn't decide between two schemes, so bought two of everything and I'm now getting everyone that steps into the house to vote grin

DH will get the casting vote or so i have led him to believe.

HappyHippyChick Fri 17-May-13 12:34:08

Oh and I should have put a grin at the end of my other post as it sounds like I'm really moaning but I'm not wink I'm just panicking! And I really did think the deadline was 3rd June, must have missed something somewhere!

HappyHippyChick Fri 17-May-13 12:26:03

I was basing that on this

- Be sent a £300 B&Q gift card to spend as you wish on materials to re-decorate/revamp your unloved room
- Need to be available to complete your room revamp between 14 May and 3 June
- Write feedback on how your revamp is going during that time on a thread on MN
- Need to send in photos to MNHQ of before, during and after the revamp

From the op.

TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 17-May-13 12:25:24

HappyHippy - it was 31 May but someone else asked for the weekend to finish off, so we've moved it to 3 June.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now