This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you'd like test a product on Mumsnet please mail insight@mumsnet.com.

NOW CLOSED Do you have an unloved room in your home? Sign up here to revamp it with B&Q and receive a £300 gift card

(313 Posts)
TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 03-May-13 11:25:14

As part of our partnership with B&Q, we're looking for 20 MNers who have an unloved room in their home that they'd like to revamp. Do you have a sad and tired spare room you'd like to make over? A living room in need of a spruce? Or a bedroom crying out for redecoration?

Here is what B&Q say about their unloved rooms initiative: "This summer, we're launching a new initiative to help Britain say goodbye to its unloved rooms. Most homes have one - a spare room that's more of a cupboard, a tired and broken bathroom from a different era, even an overgrown garden that's become a jungle. With our vast range of home decoration products and simple expert advice, we want more people to see that making a big difference doesn't need to be difficult or expensive. Whether it's picking the right look, choosing the right products, at the right price or simply finding out how to make it happen, we're making sure you'll find it all under one roof at B&Q."

If you're selected to take part you'll:

- Be sent a £300 B&Q gift card to spend as you wish on materials to re-decorate/revamp your unloved room
- Need to be available to complete your room revamp between 14 May and 3 June
- Write feedback on how your revamp is going during that time on a thread on MN
- Need to send in photos to MNHQ of before, during and after the revamp

10 of the 20 participants will also need to film their revamp process on their smartphone (via an app we'll need you to download). Those MNers will receive an additional £25 B&Q gift card as a thank you for doing filming.

B&Q would also like participants to attend a You Can Do It class in store if possible - this would be free of charge but they're only available in certain stores. This isn't essential to taking part but please indicate on the sign up form (link below) which store you could get to if you would like to attend.

If you'd like to take part, please sign up here.

Any queries, please post them here.

Thanks and good luck
MNHQ

Visit B&Q's pages for more inspiration

SuffolkNWhat Sat 04-May-13 10:45:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

YonicTheHedgehog Sat 04-May-13 11:01:00

Done, our front room is a mixture of a dining room, Chinese laundry and a workshop, complete with 70's carpet.

Nehru Sat 04-May-13 11:05:12

all the places are bloody miles away. WOuld cost me in petrol to even get there

CaptainKirksNipples Sat 04-May-13 11:34:39

Done! We currently have a pale green colour in our bedroom. Got a bargain (discontinued line) but we ran out before I realised dp had painted around the bed and wardrobe instead of moving it! That means I can't move anything until we do it all again grr...

Badvoc Sat 04-May-13 12:00:21

Done

Sunnywithshowers Sat 04-May-13 12:15:40

Done!

Kbear Sat 04-May-13 12:16:36

says you can take part without attending the class though Nehru

I'm in

I'm in, would love to sort my bedroom finally.

I would have ticked yes to video but don't have a smartphone. Seems silly as surely any video would be able to be sent in?

i just did it, but it didnt come up with a message saying sent, so has it gone through properly?

SoupDragon Sat 04-May-13 12:36:40

I wouldn't be able to do it within the deadline - too short notice sad

I hate my bedroom.

I'm applying - have a bedroom that hasn't been redecorated for 10 yrs a very long time

to everyone else thats applied, what happned after you sumbitted it? did it say sent or thankyou or anything?

i am desperate to be picked, my house is so white, plain and dull, it is suffereing from new builditus, plain plain plain!

i think this is a problem alot of people are having right now, in the noughties it was all about making things neutral, and declutting, and now theres loads of people like my family, that are living in dull colourless houses.
and it is time to inject some colour and life

everywhere i look its white, it has good bones though, niced sized rooms,and very nice chunky wooden flooring[lightwood], so 300 pounds would go really far in making a big transformation
dds room is really lovely, only just done it recently,just after christmas, and had this great thread on mumsnet all about it.
here
and some mumsnetters even asked mnhq if the thread could be moved from chat to home decoration so that it didn't disapear,so thats quite a compliement! turned out fantastic.

infact my only problem with this is choosing which room to do, as i have a bedroom to decorate for the baby i'm currently pregnant with,i want to do something fun and exciting in there and a kitchen diner, thats, yes thats right, you guess it, thats plain white too.

white white white argh
fgs even my talk name is white ! grin

the kitchen is seriously white though, white high gloss slab cupboards, the ones with the long rod handles, white gloss mosaic tiles, and brilliant white walls.
its south facing with three windows and and on a sunny day its actually dazzling!
but seriously its way way too white

please pick me and let me bring some colour and life into my familys life!

ILikeToMowIt Sat 04-May-13 13:10:46

i agree that the deadline is a little optimistic.. but: i think that if we get selected the £300 will be enough of an incentive to get started. would love to give our office a makeover, so i can lock in dh or the kids and not feel guilty we can actually start using it as an office rather than a place to throw stuff into and then close the door and pretend it has disappeared.

IceNoSlice Sat 04-May-13 13:13:46

Done.

whiteandiris, I'll swap your white rooms for some 1980s wallpaper if you want? A clean crisp white base sounds great to me right now! The wallpaper in two rooms is so hideous I can't put any pictures up as the pattern is so busy. Think fleur de lis in one and pink flowers in the other. Beyond grim! <pick me, pick me!>

IceNoSlice Sat 04-May-13 13:16:44

Oh and no, I didn't get any kind of confirmation that my entry went through properly. MNHQ, please could you confirm this is ok (and that you got my entry smile). Perhaps you could add a 'thank you for submitting...' Page or message please? It is disconcerting to not receive one.

ice, yes its a great base, but seriously makes me feel insane, although the fleur de lis, and pink flowers does sounds rather than headache inducing!

well hopefully we will bth get picked, your headaches will vanish and i will be slightly less insane grin

oh thanks for replying that you didn't get a thanks for submitting or anything message either.

i am on the verge of filling it in again, yes thats how desperate i am!lolgrin

yes i too would like to know my entry went through ok, if at all possible
thanks muchly smile

ice, what room are you hoping to do?

PavlovtheCat Sat 04-May-13 14:16:15

OK, I have to unloved rooms. the first is the kitchen. It's gonna take a whole heap more than £300 to do that one grin

But the kids bedroom is very tired looking and we so need to get it looking less puke yellow with holes in the ceiling (not real holes, just bits of plaster damage from bodged loft conversion). Some of my friends have the most amazing kids bedrooms and my kids still don't have shelves up blush

So - done!

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 04-May-13 14:23:45

IceNoSlice - yep rec'd ok.
After you click complete you just go to this page www.mumsnet.com/online-surveys-product-tests where you can check out loads of other things do, win etc

musu Sat 04-May-13 14:27:11

I've got a few unloved rooms to choose from. The problem with this though is not having anyone who could do the work and not being able to afford to get someone to do it for me.

LackaDAISYcal Sat 04-May-13 14:45:58

Ooooh, signed up. I run out of steam and funds after starting my living room which hadn't been touched since the 1980s (or in the seven and a half years we've been here)

If we were picked we could get some flooring and curtains, as those are the things that are stopping it getting finished as I think, "why bother doing any more if I can't finish it completely"

IceNoSlice Sat 04-May-13 15:16:35

whiteandyellowiris - bedroom. Good luck to you, fingers crossed we get picked!

IceNoSlice Sat 04-May-13 15:17:08

Thanks Ann smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now