This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you'd like test a product on Mumsnet please mail insight@mumsnet.com.

NOW CLOSED: Join the review thread for George Foreman Grills - share an idea for what you'd cook on one - you could win your own grill worth £40

(113 Posts)
AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 25-Apr-13 13:55:00

George Foreman Grills recently gave ten Mumsnetters the opportunity to try out a selection of their grills at a demo day in Manchester, where they got to experience the versatility and simplicity of cooking with a George Foreman.
Another ten reviewers were also sent grills to try out.

The four different models used in the demos were:
~ 18603 Grill & Griddle
~ 14525 Grill & Melt with Removable Plates
~ 14181 Grill & Melt

and the extra 10 testers are trying the 19570 Family Grill

Testers: This thread is for you to share your experience with the George Foreman grills, and to start you off we would love to know:

1. What have you learnt to cook with a George Foreman Grill? What would you like to learn to cook in the future?

2. Are there any features of your Grill you would like to know more about? What's the best feature you've discovered so far?

3. What would make you use your Grill more regularly? How many times a week are you using it?

4. How long do you spend cooking for your family on an average day? How has the grill helped with this?

5. Generally speaking, which is more important to you: healthy eating or quick preparation time?

6. What have you and your family thought of the meals you have created? What's been a success? And what's not been quite so good?

7. What would you say was the best feature or benefit of the George Foreman Grill you have used?

And if you attended the George Foreman demo day, please also answer:

~ What was your perception of George Foreman Grills prior to the demo day?
~ How did your perception change from what you experienced on the demo day?
~ What did you most enjoy about the day?

If you're not an official tester, but would like the chance to win a new George Foreman Grill (RRP: £40) then all you have to do is - on this thread - please share your ideas for a quick and easy meal which you could create with one. Once you've commented you'll be automatically entered into the draw to win a George Foreman Family Grill & Melt with Removable Plate.

Thanks and good luck!
MNHQ

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 23-May-13 10:50:24

Currently all being processed and video should be up on George Foreman pages soonish. thanks

mindgone Tue 21-May-13 23:16:27

Hi AnnMumsnet, any news on video feedback?

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 21-May-13 14:02:49

Hello - thanks for all the feedback. Am pleased to say HamletsSister has won the extra Family Grill we had from GF to give away. I will pm you now.

HellcatMomma Sun 19-May-13 17:19:20

Non-tester but I miss my GF grill loads. Used to make sticky BBQ chicken and veg kebabs or haloumi, falafel and grilled red pepper tower burgers topped off with hummus and beetroot. Gorgeous!

Orianne Sun 19-May-13 09:38:00

I second removable plates.

Orianne Sun 19-May-13 09:37:27

Not a tester but my favorite is tandoori chicken. I use low fat yoghurt with a spoonful of tandoori paste (I put less for my younger dd as she doesn't like anything too spicy). I marinate some chicken breasts in this mixture then plop onto the grill. I serve with some salad. Delicious meal and healthy too.

ChocolateOrangeforDd Fri 17-May-13 11:17:30

Not a tester, but would love a grill with removable plates. I would cook Grilled pork and chorizo kebabs on the current Waitrose free recipe cards. It would work amazingly well on the grill!!

Risha Thu 16-May-13 22:27:36

Not a tester though. Still would love to leave the idea of grilling. " What would you Grill" ??? There is not one specific but there are loads of choices to test the taste. I would have my grilled BBQ chicken with grilled tomato, all coloured pepper and onions as a lovely dinner compliment. Marinated Fish will be grilled now and then to increase the flavour. The most interesting and easiest is cleaning a handy grill and keeping it nice and fresh .. all the time ready for next meal.. rather than digging deep in the oven everytime I grill.

moonface501 Thu 16-May-13 12:45:45

I love grilling chicken with a spicy coating. It makes the chicken so much more succulent than when you bake or fry and healthy too!

Blatherskite Wed 15-May-13 16:46:56

One of these grills would be great for Quesadillas.

Quesadilla are a bit like a mexican cross between cheese on toast and a calzone pizza. Pretty much the only standard ingredients in a Quesadilla are tortilla wraps and cheese, anything else is up to you. We like tomatoes, salsa sometimes, mushrooms, peppers, ham, sausage, salami - but you can add anything you like. It's a great clearing out the fridge lunch as you can use whatever you've got in.

Cover half of the tortilla with the cheese and your filling, fold in half and then place in the grill. Once the tortilla is toasted and the cheese is melted, it's ready to be cut into wedges and served.

I do these in a dry frying pan at the moment but having a George Forman grill would definitely make these a lot easier to prepare as I always drop filling as I'm flipping them over. There would be no need with a GF grill.

mindgone Mon 13-May-13 14:36:39

I was picked by MNHQ to review this product/ service, which I received for free. This review is in my own words and reflects my true opinion.

I have been using the family Grill and Melt with removable plates.

1. What have you learnt to cook with a George Foreman Grill? What would you like to learn to cook in the future?

I have learnt to cook homemade spring rolls, which I never would have imagined I could do on a grill like this. In the future I would just like to experiment more with it.

2. Are there any features of your Grill you would like to know more about? What's the best feature you've discovered so far?

The best feature is definitely the removable plates! This is what has always put me off buying on of these grills before. I love the fact that it heats up so quickly too.

3. What would make you use your Grill more regularly? How many times a week are you using it?

I think a bigger size would be the only thing that would make me use it more. I am using it most days as it is! My big hungry teenage boys are loving their daily paninis!

4. How long do you spend cooking for your family on an average day? How has the grill helped with this?

I probably spend at least an hour cooking for my family most days. The grill has helped with things like salmon steaks, marinated chicken fillets, and burgers. it cooks them so quickly, much quicker than you'd think, and is so much easier to clean than my grill pan!! In fact, I hadn't grilled anything for so long because of this!

5. Generally speaking, which is more important to you: healthy eating or quick preparation time?

Both, each winning occasionally, depending on the day i've had, and what else is going on! But of course, the combo is always good!

6. What have you and your family thought of the meals you have created? What's been a success? And what's not been quite so good?

The family has really enjoyed it too! Paninis, great. Salmon steaks with loads of lemon pepper sprinkled on have been the best thing ever! Veggie burgers straight from the freezer were good. Grilled aubergines were fab. Cheese on toast using the melt function wasn't good, the cheese didn't melt! Steaks, two cooked on George, and two in a grddle pan, griddle pan won, just!

7. What would you say was the best feature or benefit of the George Foreman Grill you have used?

Speed and ease of cleaning.

~ What was your perception of George Foreman Grills prior to the demo day?

Panini maker/sandwich toaster

~ How did your perception change from what you experienced on the demo day?

I realised its amazing versatility.

~ What did you most enjoy about the day?

It was a great day out! Emma, the home economist was great! She demonstrated everything so clearly, but with great fun and humour! Great to meet so many other mums, such a lovely bunch! smile Also, of course, I loved going home with a brand new, free George Foreman grill, which I had always quite fancied!

PS. The timer would be more useful if it switched off the power too.

I would buy this product, but at the moment, with two sons still at home, I would get the larger one I have seen on the George Foreman website. It also has removable plates (a must!), but doesn't have the 'melt' feature, which I didn't find useful anyway.

lorka Mon 13-May-13 11:43:20

Not a tester but would love to try one. Now the summer is coming (hopefully) I love to eat salads with lovely fresh fish and chicken so this is what I would be cooking in mine. I love the sound of bruschetta in it too. MMMmm lovely.

HannahLI Sun 12-May-13 15:34:04

Im not a tester but I would love to use it to grill a tuna steak with a wasabi crust with some summertime veg like cherry tomatoes, red onion, asparagus.

Droflove Sun 12-May-13 09:33:28

Not a tester but wish I was after reading all the things you can cook. I've been wanting a griddle pan for ages but didn't want to invest as it would be occasional use. A GF however has way more uses so is worth it I think. As well as the steaks, marinaded chicken breasts, enchiladas, halloumi etc. that I wanted to do on the griddle, I would be able to do the majority of our weekend breakfast fry up, fish, kebabs, grilled veg, homemade hamburgers, pork loins marinaded in garlic, ginger, soy and sesame oil, paninniis, bruschetta, hot wraps....I need one now that I think about it. I have only come across someone having one once and they raved about it but I was too sick with morning sickness at the time to really listen.

LayMizzRarb Thu 09-May-13 18:54:42

Not a tester, but LOVE the sound of the George Foreman Griddle. Our current (2 yrs old) George is constantly in use. I love cooking fruit on mine, to go with the meat. Grilled pineapple slices to go with the gammon, apple slices to go with Pork lion steaks, and apricot halves to go with grilled duck breast. I never put just meat on the grill, I can always find something else to stick on at the same time; tomato halves, slices of pepper or courgette, mushrooms.

TheSecondComing Thu 09-May-13 16:01:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Babieseverywhere Thu 09-May-13 14:48:38

We have cooked crumpets, burgers, sausages and many toasties. I am planning to try salmon and some chicken dishes.

Floating hinge is a nice feature and it is pretty machine with a reasonable weight, feeling like a quality product.

Bigger size and temperature control. I quickly found this family grill was not big enough to cook '5 portions' as advertised. No way can you fit 5 proper beefburgers or 10 sausages or 5 chicken breasts at one time. As a result we ended up using the grill more for snacky quick meals and eating in shifts…like toasties, which for our family of 6, took three cooking sessions of two toasties at a time.

We have not changed how we eat proper evening meals as we don't use the grill (as we would have to keep grill part of the food and keep this food warm in the oven whilst we grilled the rest of the food…much easier to use the oven grill and cook it all at the same time. But we use the grill a lot for snacks or light meals at weekends.

Quick preparation time is more important during the week, with all the after school homework and activities, but healthy eating is more a priority at weekends when we have the time to cook from scratch.

Sausages and thin burgers cook lovely on the grill. Shame the thicker burgers wouldn't cook well, burning on the outside and still raw in the middle.

I like the way it cooks on both side at once and channels the fat away from the food. Just wish it had a temperature control so thicker food could cook thoroughly.

For us a good benefit is being able to cook for one person in another way. i.e. Cooking myself a salmon steak whilst everyone else in the family are eating something else.

LackaDAISYcal Thu 09-May-13 13:15:34

I think they have missed the point there Ann about the sizing confused. If it says a five portion grill; I expect it to accommodate five portions of whatever I'm cooking for my family of five! And it doesn't; at best it is a three portion grill based on standard chicken breast/quarter pound burger sizes. I had to cook in 2 or 3 batches and keep things warm whilst doing the others, when it would have been better to have it all ready at the same time.

Granted there are other sizes in the range, but why would someone buy a bigger one, when they believe the one they are buying suits their needs and is going to be big enough based on the information on the box?

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 09-May-13 09:52:44

The team at George Foreman wanted us to pass on the following message
"We really appreciate your feedback on the grills you have been trying. A couple of you mentioned the grill was a bit small for their family - we do have a massive range of grill sizes available to suit all family sizes with different features - do check out the wider range of grills on www.georgeforeman.co.uk. We're loving the recipes on this thread - so creative - thanks for sharing your thoughts. MN will do the draw for the grill in the next few days"

GetKnitted Wed 08-May-13 22:34:15

grilled halloumi on pitta smile

Non tester, I would like to do just plain burgers, onion rings bacon,chicken breasts,mushrooms,peppers & the odd ribeye steak. I don't have time to cook fancy foods ,so a George Forman Grill would suit me fine.

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Tue 07-May-13 15:47:14

Non tester here. I discovered George Foreman eggy bread the other day. Made the traditional way, it absorbs a LOT of fat. Done in the Foreman, you use none at all and it is delicious! Even more delicious, make a cheese sandwich, dip that in beaten egg, and pop it in the GF. Sublime!

MNPin2013 Tue 07-May-13 15:18:27

The George foreman is a ultra quick way of cooking fresh fish.

FadBook Mon 06-May-13 17:00:23

Tested the 19570 Family Grill

So far I have cooked: chicken breasts, chicken dippers (home made in breadcrumbs), toasties, burgers and vegetables on the grill.

I would like to cook steak, salmon and wraps.

I agree with Melliebobs and feel the family grill is lacking in features. The only feature which I would describe as the ‘best’ one is the ability to know when it is hot (the light goes off).

I’ve only used the grill 4 times since receiving it 2 weeks ago. To make me use it more regularly, I would want a feature to alter the temperature on the grill. I'm struggling to see it as a better product to use in comparison to using my grill / oven or frying pan with a spray of oil. I will continue to use it and add any further comments before writing it off entirely.

On average, around 30-45 minutes a day.

The grill hasn't reduced the amount of time spent on cooking. Despite the ‘Family size’ grill being deemed a ‘family’ one, it doesn’t have enough room to cook more than 2 meals on it so the oven is still needed to keep things warm. As such, the grill will not save time unless I’m only cooking for myself.

Healthy eating is more important to me. Preparation times of the foods I cook are normally spent on the preparing and chopping of food (most things from scratch), not necessarily the cooking.

I steamed some corn on a cob and then grilled it after I had cooked the burgers. It gave it a burgery (sp!) and buttery taste which was nicer than just having a boring steamed corn on the cob smile

The burgers cooked did drain a lot of fat and I was surprised at the amount collected in the tray. However, because of the temperature of the grill not being adjustable, the burgers burnt on the outside after only a few minutes, but weren’t quite cooked in the middle (they were thick burgers).

The burger bap that I put on to warm / toast – that tasted lovely.

The chicken dippers were as nice as when I fry/brown them in olive oil in a pan and then oven cook them but they were still edible (downside of being healthier cooking with no oil on the grill).

The vegetables didn't cook right - where the grill bits joined, the peppers burnt. They also slipped off a few times.

It is easy to clean.
It heats up very quickly.
The removable tray makes it easy to remove the fat without clogging up the sink (in comparison to a grill pan or frying pan, you tend to put hot water on it to wash, where as with the tray, I used kitchen roll to remove the fat straight in to the bin) <clutches straws at finding the 'best' feature>

As mentioned, I feel the family grill does lack some features, especially the size and lack of adjustable temp. I also dislike that it is slanted (obviously to be able to drain the fat out of the foods cooked) because the foods tend to slid off!

Gobbolinothewitchscat Mon 06-May-13 16:27:20

Sorry - bit late to the party! I'm testing the 19750 Family Grill

i didn't make the test day so haven't learned anything new. However, there was a good recipe booklet with the grill and I have made the tandoori chicken recipe from that.

The Family Grill is pretty simple so no attachments etc. however, the drip tray is useful. However, I would much prefer if it was attached to the grill (with an option for detachment for cleaning. It's quite flimsy and I worry about it being knocked over. I also would prefer detachable plates for cleaning

I'm probably using it about twice a week. I think I'll use it more in summer as we tend to have more grilled meat with chicken in the summer. Winter tends to be more stew type meals/pasta etc etc

I spend at least an hour a day cooking - once breakfast, packed lunches are taken in to consideration. I think the grill will help me as I do tend to grill chicken etc for packed lunches etc. Again, that tends to be in the summer. Further, the grill will be useful for toasted sandwiches etc. we don't have them at the moment as we don't have a toasty maker. This was due to thinking it would take up too much room and we wouldn't use it much. However, as the grill is multi-functional, it's less of a problem.

Healthy eating

I grilled some sausages today which went down well. As has the chicken. Nothing to date has been a problem. However, I'll be interested to see how steaks cook. I'm not sure the grill will be hot enough and any flavoured butter or marinade will just slip off in to the drip tray which isn't ideal.

Its simplicity. It's very easy to use and it is multifunctional (see my comment re being out if buying a toasty maker as it takes up quite a lot of room to do just one thing). The recipe booklet is also handy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now