Please note: This topic is for your comments and feedback on Product Tests being run by Mumsnet. It is not the place to post (or ask for) comments on other products. If you do this, your comments may be deleted. If you'd like to run your own product test, please email insight@mumsnet.com. If you are an entrepreneur or start-up and would like to ask for some feedback, please visit our media requests topic.

Aldi Almat washing powder and fabric conditioner - tester review thread

(105 Posts)
AlexMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 19-Apr-13 10:29:23

This thread is for the MNers' who've been trying out Aldi's Almat non bio washing powder and fabric conditioner. Below are some questions to get you started, but please add any other comments you would like to. All testers who add their feedback to the thread will be entered into a prize draw where one winner will receive a hamper of goodies worth £100

Aldi say "Our award winning washing range, Almat, has been endorsed by the likes of Which? and Good Housekeeping Institute. We'd now like to hear from the real experts - you, on what you think about our Almat non-bio washing powder and fabric conditioner. We know that washing the family's clothes is an important and careful task - for little ones you want to ensure their clothes are clean and soft and avoid having to re-wash any stubborn stains out, so we've worked hard to develop a product that performs well without the hefty price tag of the big brands.."
Find out more here

Aldi would love to know:

~What do you think of the product packaging? Was the labelling easy to read?

~How do you find the washing powder in terms of effectiveness? Does it clean your clothes well? Do you like the smell?

~How does the washing powder perform on tougher stains?

~We've included the prices of the products below - do you think they're good value for money?

~Do you think you'll buy this washing powder/fabric conditioner in future? If so, why? If not, why not?

~If it came up in conversation, would you recommend Aldi's Almat range to a friend or family member? If so, why? If not, why not?

~Lastly, what's the most important thing to you when you're deciding which washing powder you buy? And do you usually shop at Aldi or elsewhere?

Aldi Almat washing powder - £2.99 per 2.4kg pack (30 washes)
Aldi Almat fabric conditioner - £0.99 per 1 Litre

Thanks and good luck in the prize draw,

MNHQ

1sttimemummy89 Tue 22-Apr-14 23:50:49

I have only just received the fabric conditioner but havnt received the washing powder.
The conditioner smelt nice and has left a nice smell to the clothes I will be buying this product when I am next in the shop. The only thing I think could be improved is the thickness of the plastic bottle I found the bottle very flimsy and as a result spilt some of the conditioner.

debbiemeredith Sun 26-May-13 15:20:53

Hello, I was told by email that I was on this trial, but never received the products to try. Did they get lost somewhere?

shortbreadsharon Wed 22-May-13 21:28:36

~What do you think of the product packaging? Was the labelling easy to read? I think the box is very hard to open and I lost some of the powder just trying to get it open. The fabric conditioner is packaged very similar to a leading brand.

~How do you find the washing powder in terms of effectiveness? Does it clean your clothes well? Do you like the smell? I thought it did the job of cleaning rather well but I wasnt impressed by the smell or the fabric conditioner in general.

~How does the washing powder perform on tougher stains? My husband is a chef and my 4 year old is currently going through an "I'll only eat/drink red things" phase so I know about stains and this performed quite well but there were some stains left on like bolognese sauce.

~We've included the prices of the products below - do you think they're good value for money? I think for theamount of washes the price is good but in terms of effectiveness, especially the fabric conditioner not great.

~Do you think you'll buy this washing powder/fabric conditioner in future? If so, why? If not, why not? I would definetely buy the washing powder but I think I would stick to my usual fabric conditioner on the basis I didnt like the smell and I wasn't impressed by softness.

~If it came up in conversation, would you recommend Aldi's Almat range to a friend or family member? If so, why? If not, why not? I wold definetely recommend the washing powder as on tough stains it was great.

~Lastly, what's the most important thing to you when you're deciding which washing powder you buy? And do you usually shop at Aldi or elsewhere? I usually shop at asda and my main factor in buying washing powder is if its going to work on tough stains.

hpsaucy Wed 22-May-13 17:50:45

Also late!!! I forgot!! (which is a good sign!)

Packaging was bright

~How do you find the washing powder in terms of effectiveness? Does it clean your clothes well? Do you like the smell?

I liked the smell of the powder, the soften was mild smell. It cleaned aswell as any branded product (hence I forgot I was doing a test)

Very good

~We've included the prices of the products below - do you think they're good value for money?

Brillant Value

~Do you think you'll buy this washing powder/fabric conditioner in future? If so, why? If not, why not?

Yes

~If it came up in conversation, would you recommend Aldi's Almat range to a friend or family member? If so, why? If not, why not?

Yes

~Lastly, what's the most important thing to you when you're deciding which washing powder you buy? And do you usually shop at Aldi or elsewhere?

I do sometimes shop at Aldi, but will go more often now and will definitely buy the washing powder.

Abgirl Mon 20-May-13 20:19:11

Very late to the party after issues getting the powder and returned packages - thank you to those at mumsnet and aldi who sorted these out so I could still participate:

Packaging v standard, tbh am not really influenced by packaging and didn't have any issues opening it.

Smell is different to my usual brand and think I prefer my normal brand but it's not unpleasant. Cleaned clothes well, probably better than I expected and comparable to my usual brand

Good despite my DS1's best efforts at staining his clothes with bolognaise!

Yes these are very good prices compared to what I usually pay

If I was in Aldi I would probably buy some. That said, I am not even sure where my nearest Aldi is!

Yes I would say that I had tested it and had been impressed

Will this washing powder cause my husband's skin to flare up? And the only washing powder we've found so far that's been OK has been Fairy which is extremely expensive so I buy it from any shop where it's on offer! I never shop at Aldi normally but would go in to buy this powder in future.

crackersncheese Sat 11-May-13 19:00:56

Packaging was easy to read but I tore the box trying to get into it.
Could have done with a scoop.

It's cleaned all our every day clothes fine, including head to toe bolagnase stains. don't love the smell but it's ok. Clothes are lovely and soft.

I would recommend if I knew a friend was going there any way but we 're not particularly close to an Aldi and I don't think it's worth a journey on its own.

I've got No brand loyalty when it comes to washing powder. Whatever is the best offer on a branded non-bio when I need it. Tend to buy the big bottles of liquid when they come on offer. Normally shop at Morrisons, occasionally Asda with top up shops at the co-op. would buy again if I was on there anyway.

sarahbanshee Fri 10-May-13 23:03:26

Like some of the other testers, I found it difficult to get the box open - but I liked the packaging and labelling, it looks modern and bright (and not too much like a discount brand!)

I have found the washing powder effective, it has got various food and paint stains out of my children's clothes at 40deg. I am happy with the smell which isn't strong, which I prefer. I wish it came with a measuring cup though.

I think at those prices they are very good value for money. I might buy them again if I was in Aldi - I don't shop there very often but occasionally go to stock up on cheap basics and I might well add washing powder to that list. On the same basis I would probably recommend it to anyone who was going to Aldi or wondering if they should.

When I buy washing powder I look for price and eco credentials and I am also concerned about sensitivity - I have had a rash before from strongly fragranced washing powders so I am wary.

MinnieBar Fri 10-May-13 15:57:18

Also, if it's not too late to add DH's feedback:

'Tell them I don't think much of the fabric conditioner!' grin

suseb99 Wed 08-May-13 19:35:11

I found the box pretty straight forward ( though not as easy as some other brands) to open and the instructions were clear.

It worked well on my clothes getting rid of most stains, although it did struggle with getting paint stains out of my 4yr olds clothes, though to be fair all brands I have tried struggle with that.

It has a nice fragrance and smells clean without being too overpowering.

I think the product is very good value for money and I would recommend it, however as I do not live close to an Aldi and due to that, it is unlikely that I will purchase this product.

When I am buying washing powder, I take into consideration: price, efficacy, fragrance amongst others.

YouHaveBeenOutbid Mon 06-May-13 15:39:08

Can I add my tuppence worth for Aldi even though I'm not part of the product test?

I bought Aldi Almat gel around a year ago and used it for a few months. Initially I was very impressed, it cleaned well, smelled good and was a good price. However a few months in I began to notice clothes fading and bobbling faster than I would expect. I switched back to my old non bio gel (and bought new socks!) and the problem has not reoccurred. I wouldn't use it again and wouldn't recommend it. I do however buy lots of other things there.

salcz Sun 05-May-13 11:13:16

Great, east to follow.

Baby food stains faded but not gone but everything else was very clean. It smells nice in the box.

Tough stains are faded more than they would be after using other brands.

Great value washing powder, but the conditioner is not as good as other brands which I only buy when on offer.

I'd buy a liquid version of the powder as I don't like using powders, but not the conditioner as the fresh, clean smell did not last very long.

I'd recommend the powder as it is cheap with good performance but there are better conditioners around.

I look at special offers and prices first. I occasionally shop at Aldi but Sainsburys is closer and I can walk there with my son in the pram.

StuntNun Sat 04-May-13 16:03:56

Comparable to the products I usually use (Persil non-bio and Comfort Pure)

At least as effective as the products I usually use, everything came out clean. I prefer the smell, it's not a strong perfumey smell, just a nice clean smell.

It got baby poo out of a white vest first time which is very impressive.

I think they're exceptional value for money, less than half the amount I usually use and the performance was just as good.

No, there are no Aldi stores in Northern Ireland.

Yes, as a direct but cheaper replacement for Persil or Comfort.

I have been using the same products for years as I have sensitive skin so I don't want to change something that works for me, plus I don't like the strong perfumes that some washing powders leave on the clothes. I usually shop at Tesco but now I'm wishing there was an Aldi around here!

3sthenew2 Thu 02-May-13 22:02:37

Product packaging: I have mixed feelings, the packaging generally is appealing but I felt that the red writing cheapened it a little. I agree with previous posts that it was difficult to get open.
effectiveness: I wasn't expecting great results as I'm not a fan of own brands but despite the lack of fragrance when the washing came out of the machine once dried it had a lovely fresh clean smell. It coped well with lightly soiled washing. I needed to add extra stain remover for school shirts. Considering the price I'd be happy to pay the extra when adding the occasional stain remover.
I might consider buying the powder in the future but with a premium brand conditioner to bump up the smell. however i'd recommend it to friends family members wanting a cheaper alternative.
There isnt an Aldi near me and I tend to buy well known brands that are on offer. I like a long lasting smell on my laundry.

MaOmi Thu 02-May-13 21:45:41

I've been using Aldi washing liquid for 2 years and have recently tried the powder; both are excellent at 30 dg too. The packaging design is pretty standard; straight forward and clear to read.
Both my partner and I have bouts of eczema but have not found any irritation.
We have been using the fabric softener for the same period too. As with any fabric softener two capfuls are needed if you are using a dryer and want a really strong scent.
I would recommend Aldi and have converted friends and family.
Great value for money! Why would you pay more?!

MinnieBar Thu 02-May-13 10:56:29

My box had split in transit so I had to sellotape it up at the bottom. My husband struggled to open it (!) but I saw the rip tab no problem. As others have said, some kind of measuring implement would have been good. It was easy to see how much to use, etc.

No problems with cleaning and the smell is a nice, general 'fresh laundry' smell.

To be honest, on tough stains I usually add Vanish or similar anyway.

Yes, very.

Probably not because I don't think I'd make a separate trip to Aldi just for that. However, if I were near an Aldi I might well buy it.

yes.

Price and effectiveness - for example I wouldn't buy a two-in-one because I don't think they work as well.
I usually shop at a combination of Ocado and Sainsbury's.

Lastly, many thanks for the samples!

tenlittlebuns Wed 01-May-13 15:53:07

Packaging is just standard. Opened nicely; didn't have any of the problems others have listed here. Totally thrown by lack of scoop, and am not sure if I have been using correct dosage as I don't have anything similar.

The laundry didn't seem to smell at all, which was quite disappointing. I may have got a whiff of it when ironing but generally you didn't get a 'clean' smell from it. Effectiveness: seemed quite good, although I would always wash really dirty stuff with a bio.

I am very motivated by price in buying laundry detergent, and this is priced incredibly well. I don't shop at Aldi regularly (I am a Sainsburys regular), but I go there occasionally to bulk buy moisturiser, so I would be tempted to buy it then to use alongside other laundry detergents (e.g. bio and colour).

I'd recommend it on the basis of its price: its performance is good for the price.

Emmie10 Tue 30-Apr-13 21:23:31

I thought the packaging was rather plain and the colour was pleasing to look at. The labelling was clear and easy to read. The box was very difficult to open which was slightly off-putting and I would have preferred it to include a scoop.

~How do you find the washing powder in terms of effectiveness? Does it clean your clothes well? Do you like the smell? The washing powder smelled nice and cleaned slightly dirty clothes well. The fresh smell remained on clothes once they were dry which I like.

~How does the washing powder perform on tougher stains? The powder was not particularly effective on stains e.g. mud and grass.

~We've included the prices of the products below - do you think they're good value for money? I think they are excellent value for money.

~Do you think you'll buy this washing powder/fabric conditioner in future? If so, why? If not, why not? Yes I would as there is an Aldi nearby and for this price I would buy it.

~If it came up in conversation, would you recommend Aldi's Almat range to a friend or family member? If so, why? If not, why not? I would recommend this to a family member or friend as I think it is as good as other, more expensive washing powders on the market.

~Lastly, what's the most important thing to you when you're deciding which washing powder you buy? And do you usually shop at Aldi or elsewhere? I usually bulk buy whichever of the leading brands is on offer in Tesco/ Asda/ Morrisons. I have not used an own brand before but I have been very impressed overall with the quality of the product. I do not regularly shop in Aldi.

Nicnot Tue 30-Apr-13 17:43:54

*Nice product, simple packaging (it would be helpful if the washing power came with it's on eco friendly measuring cup of some sort though).

* Good, our clothes felt clean and soft, the smell was minimal, not over powering. Nice!

* Pretty good, it does just as good of a job as liquid washing detergents I normally use.

* Yes, I think that's value for money. I normally use liquid washing detergents but I may be converted to power now.

*Yes (if Aldi opened up a little closer by), I like smell, easy to use and cheaper than liquid washing power.

*Yes, I would due to smell, feel and price point.

* I rarely shop at Aldi as there isn't one that close by, but if I would, I would buy this washing power, I normally prefer liquids and not own brand items but now realise it's just as easy to use washing powder, and the own brand has the same results as other big brands.

Thanks!

It was sufficient, suitable for the market it is in.

We have been using it for over a week now and haven't had any problems at all. The smell is OK, not too strong.

Everything has come out clean so far, including DD's white socks after running around at the play barn, and a spaghetti sauce-encrusted top.

Ok, but not as cheap as I imagined. I usually buy main brands when on half price special or similar deal, so in comparison this is better, but not enough to make me go out of my way just to buy it.

I'm afraid not, as I just don't shop at Aldi. If if were sold via the supermarkets I buy from with internet ordering, I would. But I just don't have the time or the justification to drive somewhere just to do specific bits of my shopping.

Yes, I would.

Effectiveness, minimal smell, non-bio, price.

I thought the packaging was simple, easy to read, clear and effective.

I think the powder was really effective at removing dirt and stains from my washing, i didnt notice any residue left behind - which nearly always happens when i use powder and is a big bugbear of mine! I loved the smell of my washing after i used this product.

Tougher stains were removed and i didnt notice any stains left behind.

I think they are an absolute bargain compared to the prices of similar items out there plus this product does a better job!

I would love to if i was near a local Aldi but i wouldnt go out my way specifically to buy these products even though i really liked them.

I would recommend them, i would mention how surprised i was at actually how good they were for the price and the brand! (No offence)!

The most important thing is that they are gonna remove dirt and stains first time round, whilst being a decent price. I dont normally shop at Aldi, i tend to stick to Sainsburys!

Dysgu Mon 29-Apr-13 16:40:00

The labelling on the package was easy to read and understand. The box was hard to get into and I also expected to have a loose end to the tab to open. I think I ended up tearing the box and then decanted all the powder into a large tupperware container which has kept it tidy. A scoop would be great. I usually buy liquid tabs so had never measured washing powder before - I weighed it the first time and then guesstimated with a small tupperware...

The powder seems to do a good job. I have had no issues with everyday laundry and it has coped pretty well with newborn pooh in reusable nappies and liners. It did struggle with one explosive pooh in a vest but I think most non-bios would. I have not really noticed a smell and that is fine.

The fabric softener was nice - this is not something I would usually bother buying but it did seem to make clothes nice and soft, especially from tumble drier.

It coped well with everyday washing including school and pre-school uniforms.

They do seem very good value for money. We have generally stuck with buying Fairy Non-bio due to sensitive skin but the children have had no reaction to this product.

I would buy this product in the future if there was an Aldi on the island. As there is not one at the moment then I will not be buying this - but will do once it opens here.

If I was discussing laundry products then yes, but again, we have no Aldi in the county so it would be a hypothetical discussion for the time being. I would recommend it as it is reasonably cheap but does a good job - and if it had a scoop and was easy to open then so much the better!

My first thought is always how my daughters' sensitive skin will cope with it - and if it is on special offer then I will stock up on what we use. I do no shop at Aldi as we have no shop in the county/on the island but we do like going to Aldi when we go to the mainland and are looking forward to Aldi opening here.

Glitterfairys Mon 29-Apr-13 13:08:59

I thought the product packaging was ok, the box was a but difficult to open I thought . The labelling stood out and got my attention and was clear on what the product was.
Almat cleaned the clothes fine the only thing which I noticed was that the smell wasn't as strong as I normally like .
It didn't really perform that well on tough stains , I tried it on grass stained jeans of my sons and it didn't shift the stain unfortunately.
Almat is good value for money , it is a fair price for washing powder.
I probably would buy the powder again as it does clean clothes fine .
I think I would recommend it to my friends/family as for the price you can't really fault it.
The most important thing to me is the smell really. I find I am drawn in by the different fragrances they have.
I mostly shop at Aldi and sometimes Tesco.

lagoonhaze Sun 28-Apr-13 21:35:22

I was selected and never received it although I had a email to say delayed?

Tigerlily13 Sun 28-Apr-13 19:34:44

Packaging was fine, similar to other brands of powder in terms of ease of use. Easy to read the instructions.

It did the job and left clothes smelling fresh.

Well it worked on newborn baby poo so did a good job!

Very reasonable prices compared to other brands.

Yes as the price is good and it worked.

Yes, same reasons as above

Shop at Aldi regularly, along with other supermarkets. Most important factor at the moment is price.

HazeltheMcWitch Sun 28-Apr-13 19:32:01

~ I'm another that found the box REALLY hard to get into. The rip strip was really ineffectual, IMHO. I found that the 'lid' of the box doesn't close as easily as I'm used to, once the box has been opened.
The packaging, incl. dosage instructions was clear. I had a scoop from another packet, so I used that.

~ I find the powder very effective. It seems to clean my clothes as well as more expensive, branded products. As others have said, there is less fragrance, but this is a positive for me. It still smells clean and fresh, but not over-poweringly so.
I don't aways use softener, but this one seems to be doing the job well also. Again, not at fragrant as Lenor etc, but fabrics certainly feel as soft.

~How does the washing powder perform on tougher stains? Good, IMHO. I've successfully tackled blood, ketchup, blackcurrant squash, mud, egg... As well as general toddler grime. Oh, and makeup. The only thing I pre-treated was the egg. All came out ok on a 40 wash.

~We've included the prices of the products below - do you think they're good value for money? At 10p a wash, yes! The only things in Tesco that work out cheaper than the Almat are Tesco's value range (at 7.2p per wash for bio), and their Daisy 'brand', which is 5p cheaper per 30-washpack.

I possibly will. Probably will. The only thing that might stop me is that I have noticed my machine's drawer getting a LOT more gunged up than normal. So I've cleaned it out, and at the end of my Almat box, if it is still getting very gungy, I might decide to not use it.

I've decanted some for my sister already (saddo), as I was raving about it to her!

~Lastly, what's the most important thing to you when you're deciding which washing powder you buy? And do you usually shop at Aldi or elsewhere? It's value really - so price + performance + convenience + what it does to my clothes and machine. Also does it set off allergies/skin, which the Almat did not.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now