This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you'd like test a product on Mumsnet please mail insight@mumsnet.com.

Aldi Almat washing powder and fabric conditioner - tester review thread

(105 Posts)
AlexMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 19-Apr-13 10:29:23

This thread is for the MNers' who've been trying out Aldi's Almat non bio washing powder and fabric conditioner. Below are some questions to get you started, but please add any other comments you would like to. All testers who add their feedback to the thread will be entered into a prize draw where one winner will receive a hamper of goodies worth £100

Aldi say "Our award winning washing range, Almat, has been endorsed by the likes of Which? and Good Housekeeping Institute. We'd now like to hear from the real experts - you, on what you think about our Almat non-bio washing powder and fabric conditioner. We know that washing the family's clothes is an important and careful task - for little ones you want to ensure their clothes are clean and soft and avoid having to re-wash any stubborn stains out, so we've worked hard to develop a product that performs well without the hefty price tag of the big brands.."
Find out more here

Aldi would love to know:

~What do you think of the product packaging? Was the labelling easy to read?

~How do you find the washing powder in terms of effectiveness? Does it clean your clothes well? Do you like the smell?

~How does the washing powder perform on tougher stains?

~We've included the prices of the products below - do you think they're good value for money?

~Do you think you'll buy this washing powder/fabric conditioner in future? If so, why? If not, why not?

~If it came up in conversation, would you recommend Aldi's Almat range to a friend or family member? If so, why? If not, why not?

~Lastly, what's the most important thing to you when you're deciding which washing powder you buy? And do you usually shop at Aldi or elsewhere?

Aldi Almat washing powder - £2.99 per 2.4kg pack (30 washes)
Aldi Almat fabric conditioner - £0.99 per 1 Litre

Thanks and good luck in the prize draw,

MNHQ

Hopezibah Sat 20-Apr-13 10:40:41

Yes - this was all fine. It would have been handy to have it's own scoop for measuring the right amount as I used a different scoop but then wasn't sure if i was using the right amount as it was shown in grams how much we needed to use.

~How do you find the washing powder in terms of effectiveness? Does it clean your clothes well? Do you like the smell?

This was fine. Just about average like other brands.

I didn't really notice specifically for tough stains - so about average.

~We've included the prices of the products below - do you think they're good value for money?

Yes these are very competitive prices and I would consider buying at this price as it is a lot less than others for a product that is equally as good.

~Do you think you'll buy this washing powder/fabric conditioner in future? If so, why? If not, why not?

Yes I would. Our closest aldi is a little way away but when we visit I would stock up. I have recently begun to also use a liquid detergent and find this takes less cupboard space to store so that is the only down side to the aldi one.

~If it came up in conversation, would you recommend Aldi's Almat range to a friend or family member? If so, why? If not, why not?

yes - good price for a good product.

~Lastly, what's the most important thing to you when you're deciding which washing powder you buy? And do you usually shop at Aldi or elsewhere?

Non-bio is key, then value for money and trusting the brand

thanks for the opportunity to take part! xxx

katiewalters Sat 20-Apr-13 11:51:02

I thought the packaging was good, labelling was clear and easy to read. Liked tha the screw top on the conditioner was easy to get off, but with the powder I thought that it could do with an easier way to open the box and should come with a scoop. It says you can request one, but dont think this should be the case, it should just be included like all other powders. A gel version would be great too.
They cleaned our clothes very well, as good as the stuff I use now. My son had some stains on clothes I washed, such as dirt and dried in food, and they came out no problem. Once out of the wash, I thought it left the clothes with a strong smell, but once aired out on the line it wasnt as strong.
I liked the smell of both, but preferred the smell of the conditioner.
I dont normally shop at Aldi as there isnt one by me, and I normally buy fairy liquitabs and conditioner. I would definately recommend them and use them again, as the prices are brilliant, a lot cheaper than what I buy now and does the same job. My mom shops ast Aldi as there is one near here, so will definately be recommending it to her and getting her to pick me some up when she next goes.
The most important thing for me is that washing powder is non bio and has been dermatologically tested, as that suits my skin better as i have excema and sensitive skin. The powder was both of these and it didnt effect my skin, which is brill, as a lot of powders I have tried do.

I also had problems getting into the box, I opened the top instead of tearing round the perforated bit so the box is tatty looking.
The labelling was clear otherwise.

It's good for small stains/ dirt. It doesn't get out baby poo though! The smell is ok, fresh but not overpowering.

~How does the washing powder perform on tougher stains? Only used it on baby poo stains, it didnt remove them completely.

Yes the price is very competitive.

~Do you think you'll buy this washing powder/fabric conditioner in future? If so, why? If not, why not? Maybe if I'm in/ near Aldi and need powder but I usually shop in Asda and probably won't go out my way to buy it.

~If it came up in conversation, would you recommend Aldi's Almat range to a friend or family member? If so, why? If not, why not? Yes based on price but that's it.

I like it to have long lasting freshness and a good price.
I usually shop at Asda.

Goldrill Sat 20-Apr-13 19:39:30

Packaging ok, but labelling not. I don't have a scoop, and I don't have a measuring jug small enough to be accurate for the amounts given: why not just provide a scoop with the amounts marked on? If one of the main points you're selling on is value for money, people will be using more powder than they need which will reduce the number of washes they get (because no-one ever uses less powder if they're unsure of the amount to use!)

Cleaning definitely as good at Tesco or Sainsburys tablets which are my usuals. Can't smell it at all, which is fine by me.

As good as my usual stuff. I use cloth nappies and they are coming out as sparkly as usual!

Yes, very, provided the right amount is used.

Not sure. I like the price and the outcome, but I find powder a bit of a faff (especially when there's no scoop), and unless there was really dire economic necessity I would probably stick with tablets.

Not recomend as such, but would certainly say the results it produced were as good as any other non-bio and that it was pretty cheap for that.

Firstly format (ie tabs); secondly price - I would always pick supermarket own brand unless a branded one was heftily reduced (I just look at price per wash). I never, ever, shop at aldi because I used to have to do a weekly massive shop there for an outdoor centre I worked at and it was hell. I think I should probably get over this as it was 10 years ago and things have clearly changed!

Nigglenaggle Sat 20-Apr-13 21:23:47

Actually no probs getting in the box here and instructions seemed clear enough. Lovely picture on the box I thought.

Effective against poo stains and crawling through the flower beds trouser dirt. Conditioner makes the clothes smell lovely.

Haven't had grass or wine yet to test it on.

Absolutely astounding value for money, to be honest. Done lots of washes and hardly any powder has gone, the box is going to last for weeks - you don't need to use as much as stated.

Our normal shop is in Tesco - its a larger store we don't have a large Aldi nearby that I know of, but definitely think its worth buying if I'm there.

Already have done smile

Price comes into it but efficacy and quality are more important. Normally shop at Tescos but its a matter of convenience, like Aldi and a couple of other supermarkets better on the whole.

Thanks for inviting me to the test, haven't been a fan of powder prefer liquid but this has swayed me a little.

Nigglenaggle Sat 20-Apr-13 21:25:14

Ooh the post above has reminded me that one thing I would change was I did wish there was a scoop included

CarolineLT Sun 21-Apr-13 11:36:31

What do you think of the product packaging? Was the labelling easy to read?
I don't tend to read labels.... does anyone these days?

Cleans really well, smells nice

no experience.

very good value

would do if we had an aldi close by.

definitely.

elsewhere

there was no measuring cup in powder.... had to guess how much to use.

BlueMonday17 Sun 21-Apr-13 13:54:46

Thanks for sending these products, they have been great to try.

I opened the box OK and the instructions were clear. However, I don't usually like cardboard boxes under the sink because of the risk of leaky bottles and other spills weakening the cardboard. I usually decant powder into a plastic container, but don't have one big enough just now! It's a pity there isn't a scoop in the box - or easier dosing instructions. Don't give me grams or ml, give me 'level tablespoon' or similar, so that I can at least use my measuring spoons for an accurate dose of powder.

Seemed to clean just as well as the big brand non-bio liquid I usually use, although I had no tough stains to try it against. Smell was OK, wasn't expected heavy perfume because of being non-bio. The fabric conditioner smelled identical to the big brand non-bio/sensitive one I usually use.

Sorry, haven't been able to test this aspect this week.

Both seem very good value for money compared to big brand (even when on offer)

I prefer liquid to powder, so would try Aldi liquid, if such a thing exists. would definitely buy the fabric conditioner again. I don't have an Aldi locally, but might see if there is one near my parent's house (they live in another city) and stock up there.

Would definitely recommend.

I prefer to get liquid - less scope for mess and I find that big boxes of powder tend to 'clump' after a while. I like to get concentrated liquid and for non-bio I like to see suitability for sensitive skin. Price is important too. I tend to stock up when I see my favourite brand on offer. I do my main shopping at Sainsbury's because I don't have a car and it's walkable from my house.

cather Sun 21-Apr-13 20:46:33

The packaging was fine other than it was tricky to get into it!

How do you find the washing powder in terms of effectiveness? Does it clean your clothes well? Do you like the smell?
I found it just as effective as my normal washing powder, I usually use a non-biological washing powder so I'm used to there not being much of a smell and this was similar. My son has eczema and different washing powders can cause his skin to flare up, I have been very pleased that there has been no flare up whilst we have been using these products

How does the washing powder perform on tougher stains?
I have washed a lot of muddy clothes and it has got rid of all the stains first time, without the need for a stain remover

We've included the prices of the products below - do you think they're good value for money?
I think it is excellent value for money, it is just as good as my normal branded powder but much much cheaper, I will definitely be changing.

Do you think you'll buy this washing powder/fabric conditioner in future? If so, why? If not, why not?
Yes, it is just as good as my normal powder but much cheaper.

If it came up in conversation, would you recommend Aldi's Almat range to a friend or family member? If so, why? If not, why not?
Yes, I am very impressed with the results

Lastly, what's the most important thing to you when you're deciding which washing powder you buy? And do you usually shop at Aldi or elsewhere?
I always look for a non-biological powder and I go by friends or family recommendation.
I shop at Aldi monthly, I find I can't do a full shop there but I will go once a month and buy the products that we like

Lindsey83 Sun 21-Apr-13 21:20:24

Product was packed well, with easy to read instructions

Clothes washed surprisingly well, I have a 10 month old who is currently feeding himself so making lots of mess and clothes have come out very clean. The scent is nice too, not too overpowering.

As said above it performed surprisingly well on the tougher stains.

Very good value for money!

I would definitely consider buying in the future, it is reasonably priced and cleans well.

If it did come up in conversation I would recommend for the reasons already stated above.

The most important thing for me when purchasing washing powder is a good clean and value for money. I have recently started shopping at Aldi.

charlie7 Sun 21-Apr-13 22:13:01

Thank you for sending me this product!

I too really struggled to get in the box - and made a mess of it in the end. I also didn't have a scoop so had to use something else. The labelling was fine to read.

I found the washing powder just as effective as my usual one and everything was clean. I couldn't really tell there was much of a smell at all.

It got out all our stains.

Yes I think this is good value. I usually buy whichever capsules are on special offer, but this is cheaper.

I would like to buy this again but I don't live near an Aldi. They are building one near me so then I would shop there.

Yes I would as it did what it was supposed to do.

I usually go for one of the same 3 or 4 brands, whichever is on special offer. I know that they do the job so that's why I choose them. I usually shop at Sainsburys as it is the nearest shop to me.

YorkshireMumof2 Mon 22-Apr-13 10:17:39

Like others, the packaging was a little hard to get into but eventually got into it and gave the powder a try. Having a scoop would have made it easier to measure out but luckily i already have one form previous powders so used that one.

Performance wise, the clothes came out looking clean and smelling nice. Whites came out shining white and I was thoroughly impressed with the powder. The fabric softner, I used on a wash of towels, I hate hard crunchy towels and so like to use fabric softner on them. It worked as expected, making the towels very soft, no crunchyness at all.

I think it is very good value for money and if I am ever near an Aldi, I would be tempted to go and stock up on it for future use.

It has already, in fact, come up in conversation, as one of my friends noticed the smell on me and asked what washing powder it was. I explained about this trial and that it was Aldi's and she said she may give it a go.

The most important thing for me is whether it can get my whites white. If that can be achieved then I know that it is cleaning our clothing thoroughly.

fivesacrowd Mon 22-Apr-13 14:28:30

Box was quite difficult to get into and a scoop would have been nice as I usually use liquid. I had to weigh out the powder the first time so that I had the correct amount to use. The labelling was fine and the baby on the box is cute.

Cleaned everything the way my usual liquid does, the smell is quite subtle and dd said it smelt like the holidays (when we were in Portugal I picked up a box of soap powder with a baby on the front assuming it was non bio and the the smell of it was the same)

It didn't get mud out of ds sweatshirt, but I don't think any laundry detergent would have without a stain remover added.

I think they are good value for money, but I rarely pay full price for laundry products and tend to buy whatever is on special offer so the prices are very similar

I'd buy the washing powder again, but not the fabric softener as I felt it didn't soften the clothes as well as the better known brands.

I'd recommend the soap powder, but not the fabric softener (see above)

I always buy non-bio with a separate softener as ds skin reacts to all in one detergents and I go for whatever is on special offer in the supermarket. I don't have an ALDI nearby, but when the new store opens in East Kilbride I will def go and try it out.

Nice blue colour, cute baby, appealing packaging and obviously washing powder. My box also ripped on opening. I would have liked a scoop as am guessing at amounts of powder. The softener also nicely packaged.

I have used this 3 times now - on a white wash, a dark wash and on a load of my husbands butcher's aprons which are very mucky - all at 40 degrees. The powder performed very well and cleaned every satisfactorily leaving a light pleasant smell.

My 6 month old is currently being introduced to solids so he is very messy. Not all of the stains - tomato sauce and banana purée - came out.

Excellent value for money, very cheap which makes them very attractive.

Yes I would. However I don't drive and there is no Aldi within close walking distance.

Yes I would, definitely a worthy competitior to other overpriced brands.

Usually price and value for money - I often buy what's on special offer. I normally do an online shop from either Tesco or Ocado.

Thanks for letting us try this, overall am very impressed.

NettleTea Mon 22-Apr-13 20:25:47

Like many, I had trouble opening the box. Instructions were clear and easy to read. I didnt have a measure so just ended up tipping a load in so might have had too much or too little!

Seems to have washed as well as everything else, and daughter has just commented on a nice smell

again seems to have coped as well as our usual detergent.

I think they are very good value

If I am in Aldi then I probably would use it - we have a small guest facility and it may be worth a trip to purchase as we get through alot of washing.

If it came up, then yes, but washing powder isnt a subject I usually discuss!

I occassionally go into Aldi, but price is quite an important factor. That said if I bought a cheap powder and it didnt wash well/smalt horrible/was scratchy or made us itch, I wouldnt be buying it again, however cheap it was.

Ninneve Mon 22-Apr-13 21:34:35

Washing Powder - Like other reviewers had a bit of trouble getting into it as the pull tab wasn't obvious or easy to get hold of without breaking and splitting a nail!
Both products - Labelling was absolutely fine as was the general design.

I really wouldn't know if it was effective because it turned into a big hard clump in the dispenser draw every single time, leaving my clothes to be washed with water alone. To ascertain it wasn't fault with my machine, I put both some Daz and Persil in the draw and they were taken away just fine. Very disappointing, given the product had a pleasant smell.

No idea - see above!

If they worked, yes definitely. But as the washing powder didn't even at that price they're a complete waste of money.
The softener works out as good value. Whilst it had a stronger (and therefore more pleasant) smell in the bottle as compared to after the wash, it did soften the clothes sufficiently.

I wouldn't bother with the washing powder. I tend to stick to well known brands because I have assurance that no matter how much they cost, they WILL do the job I bought them for. The Aldi Almat did nothing but create a hard clump in the dispenser draw. This is why I don't use brands like this and other supermarket powders - they tend to clump as the Almat did, and/or are ineffective.
I would use the fabric conditioner again 'if' I just so happened to be in Aldi, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get it alone.

No, for all the forgoing.

It's ability to the do the job and the price. I only buy branded washing powers, though am not loyal to any one brand - I generally buy whatever is on offer at the supermarket.

I sometimes shop at Aldi, but not very often - I don't like shopping somewhere where my custom isn't valued - in every Aldi I've every been in checkout staff rush customers through the till, bashing the shopping about, getting short and sometimes quite rude if you don't move through the process as quickly as they can. If the Aldi experience wasn't like that, I'd probably do more shopping there more often.

Spadgeroo Tue 23-Apr-13 11:37:07

Good packaging, non-bio in big letters on the powder which is helpful. Not that easy to get into and bit silly that there is no dispenser included.

Nice smelling powder, but didn't use enough initially (as there was no dispenser) and washing didn't smell particularly clean when I removed it from machine. Even when more was used the smell wasn't particularly lingering on the newly washed items. Not blown away by the smell of the fabric conditioner.
Seems to clean the clothes as well as my usual brands (Fairy or Arial - don't usually use powder though) I put the powder straight into the drum as this has been recommended to me by a washing machine blokey.

It got my 6 week old baby's peanut butter poo stain off a white towel with no need to use any stain remover (it was only a little bit but it is pretty tenacious stuff!!) so that was quite impressive.

It is exceptionally good value for money, and worth buying for this reason alone!

I would not usually go for powder but would try the liquid version if there is one, I don't think I would use the fabric conditioner again as you seem to have to use a lot in order for it to have an effect, and I'm not too keen on the smell.

I would recommend the washing powder, and the conditioner in terms of price.

Effective stain removal, smell and price.
I would shop at Aldi if there was one local to me.

Stujobohm Tue 23-Apr-13 11:40:07

~What do you think of the product packaging? Was the labelling easy to read? Yes it was easy to read. I like the packaging.

My clothes were very clean and I love the smell.
~How does the washing powder perform on tougher stains? It helped lift stains.

~We've included the prices of the products below - do you think they're good value for money? Very good value

~Do you think you'll buy this washing powder/fabric conditioner in future? If so, why? If not, why not? I do not have an aldi otherwise I would definitely buy this product.

~If it came up in conversation, would you recommend Aldi's Almat range to a friend or family member? If so, why? If not, why not? Yes I would as its very good value for money

~Lastly, what's the most important thing to you when you're deciding which washing powder you buy? And do you usually shop at Aldi or elsewhere? We do not have an Aldi on the Isle of Wight.

SunshinePanda Tue 23-Apr-13 21:45:15

Packaging was OK, as was the labelling, but like others I needed a scoop! Completely happy with the powder itself. maybe used to a stronger smell although DS sometimes dislikes the smell of his bedding when using stronger smelling products so this is better for him. It has performed well but not marvellously better than anything else.

~We've included the prices of the products below - do you think they're good value for money? Yes definitely - Would buy powder again but prefer tablets I think. Not so sure about conditioner to be honest I tend to think it is included in the powder I buy so never buy separately.

Yes I would recommend it because it is good value and performs well. I get some things from Aldi so will buy it now when we go although that may not be every time I need washing powder. Glad I got to try it - thanks.

DaisyFay Tue 23-Apr-13 21:57:39

Packaging fine - no problem to get into and clear instructions.

Very effective, cleaned well, nice smell ( better when dry than wet though).

Got rid of red wine and mud!

Very good value for money

I would buy this, good price for effective washing powder/ conditioner.

I want effective cleaning that deals with stains first, want a nice smell/feel to laundry. Want good value too.
I do shop at Aldi, and find the more I try, the more I like, the more I shop there...

Packaging fine, labelling etc easy to read. Didn't stand out particularly.

Not overly keen of the smell, I actually started using the washing powder with my usual fabric softener as I was so unimpressed with the smell.

Not very well I found. I have two young boys (1&3) who regularly have mud stains etc and dirty knees from crawling around. I've certainly noticed more of their clothes are still visibly dirty after they have been washed. I also use real nappies and usually wash these with a small amount (around a tablespoon) of my usual washing powder. In general, this worked ok with the Almat washing powder but I did notice more nappies than normal were still stained after the washing.

Very much so.

I'm not sure. If I was, I would need to have an alternative for clothes which were heavily soiled or marked as having Almat as my only washing powder would not be sufficient to clean our family's clothes. I wouldn't buy the fabric conditioner again - in terms of softening the clothes it did a good job but I really didn't like the smell.

Possibly, but my sole reason for doing so would be the financial savings.

I have a preferred washing powder and softener which I repeatedly buy. A brand that I trust, a product which I know causes no problems to my family's skin, a smell that we all like and a washing powder which cleans well. I have recently started shopping at Aldi in combination with another major supermarket for anything which Aldi do not stock.

Heavenlywineandroses Wed 24-Apr-13 02:13:47

Thanks for the chance to try this!

I struggled to open the box and the top ended up ripping. We have sensitive wooden floors that don't like chemicals so I have ended up getting out the dustpan and brush to clean spillages each time I've used it - very annoying and a better designed box with perforations would have prevented this. I was also frustrated with the lack of scoop and had to guess how much powder to use in my washes. no idea if i guessed right!

I have a 6 month old and her food stains came out but not the poo stains. I usually pre-wash with Napisan but didn't this time as I was wary of distorting test by using supplementary powder.

i really liked the smell, both of the powder and conditioner, but was disappointed that the smell was gone once the clothes were dry. I love the smell of freshly laundered clothes and this would be an overriding factor for me. to the cleanliness, softness or smell of the wash so I probably wouldn't buy that product, although I appreciate that the price (of both items) is good.

The value seems good but not enough to overcome other problems: lack of smell and awkward box.

I buy another leading supermarket's own brand liquid so am not committed to branded products but I won't buy the powder again because I prefer liquid and the box annoyed me. My nearest Aldi has no parking anyway so it wold be hard to buy the powder there but this trial inspired some loyalty to Aldi in me so I dropped in for nappies this week and found them great and will pick some up whenever I'm passing again. If I have room in the buggy, I may also buy the conditioner.

mm1975 Wed 24-Apr-13 14:33:59

had a bit of trouble opening the box of powder but once inside liked the clean fresh scent, washed clothes well without leaving any residue and didnt irritate any of my childrens skin even those with sensitive skin.

It is good value for money and if we had an aldi within walking distance i would buy it again, I shop online at Tesco as i dont drive.

If a friend asked I would recommend it if they shopped there already but not sure it would be worth a special trip.

I think a scoop would have been helpful as I didn't have one and had to guess using a cup.

NikkiCrick Wed 24-Apr-13 16:53:08

The information on packaging was easy to read.

It performed as well as any other washing powder. It cleaned clothes fine. It was overly perfumed, so smelt clean as opposed to chemically.

It didn't really stand up to cleaning baby clothes and additional products needed.

I think it is relatively good value.

I would possibly buy in future, but the store isn't easy to get to (no public transport stops near there).

I would recommend based on that it is as good as other powders.

I usually look for non-bio, but often cheapest of certain brands, as I know these won't irritate my family's skin.
I don't usually shop at Aldi as the store is very difficult to get to.

As a separate note, this washing powder didn't irritate my family's skin, which can often happen.

TheBreastmilksOnMe Wed 24-Apr-13 17:37:55

I thought the packaging was fine, I didn't struggle to open it and found it easy to read.

I found the powder washed ok but didn't get out tougher stains like tea. The smell was mild and I prefer a stronger smell.

I probably wouldn't buy this powder again as I prefer a stronger smell and a more effective powder. It also didn't dissolve completely in the drawer.

The value is ok but if its not removing every stain as effectivly as leading brands then you're not getting value for money.

I wouldn't recommend to a friend as I don't think its as good as my usual. I also use a liquid especially for coloured clothes and I'd worry after prolonged use Almat would fade my clothes.

I usually buy a bio that has colour care and I never shop at Aldi.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now