Please note: This topic is for your comments and feedback on Product Tests being run by Mumsnet. It is not the place to post (or ask for) comments on other products. If you do this, your comments may be deleted. If you'd like to run your own product test, please email insight@mumsnet.com. If you are an entrepreneur or start-up and would like to ask for some feedback, please visit our media requests topic.

NOW CLOSED Tesco Loves Baby bedding tester review thread: non-testers - win £100 cash by sharing your top tips for getting babies to nod off

(135 Posts)
AlexMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 18-Apr-13 11:16:41

This thread is for the MNers who are putting the Tesco Loves Baby range of bedding to the test. We'd love to hear what you think of the item you've been trying with your baby. We've provided a few questions to get you started but please feel free to add your own comments - the more detail the better!

Every tester who adds their feedback on this thread will be entered into a prize draw to win £100 cash (to hopefully spend on Tesco Direct's Baby & Toddler range!).

We'd also like testers to add a review of the item they've tried here.

*Please remember to tell us what item(s) you've been testing in your response*

~ What was your overall impression of the product?

~ What did you think of the quality? Have you washed the item? How did it cope with being washed?

~ And how about value for money? You can find out how much the item you've been testing costs here

~ If it came up in conversation, would you recommend this product to a friend?

~ Now that you've tried a product from the Tesco Loves Baby range, do you think you'd try any others? If so, which one(s)? You can see the whole range here

If you're not a tester, the team at Tesco Direct would still love to hear from you - for a chance to win a separate £100 cash prize please share on this thread any tips or advice you have on the topic of baby bedding, and getting babies off to sleep more generally - what do you find your LO finds most cosy? Any sure fire winners for getting them to nod off? Please share this on the thread and you'll be entered into the prize draw.

Lastly, Tesco Direct are offering a special discount for all MNers - save £10 when you spend £50 on Baby and Toddler ranges for First Time Shoppers when you use code TDX-7GRT - ends 12/05/13 Link here. See T&Cs below*.

Thanks and good luck with the prize draws

MNHQ

* eCoupon code TDX-7GRT entitles you to save £10 when you spend £50 or more on baby & toddler ranges.
This eCoupon applies to first time shoppers only.
This eCoupon is valid on orders placed on or before 23.59 on 12/05/2013.
Normal eCoupon terms and conditions apply.

Hopezibah Wed 01-May-13 22:13:55

Not a tester but here are my thoughts / tips for sleep.

We actually swear by sleeping bags rather than blankets. I can check room temperature and then layer up or layer down vest / sleepsuit and combine with either 1 tog or 2.5 tog sleeping bag and that way I feel it gives me more peace of mind than using blankets. However, I like the idea that the cot / cotbed sheets come in pink and blue from Tesco because we've always only had white so it would definitely tempt me to buy some pink sheets!

Top sleep tip is to let them fall asleep in their own cot from a very early age (ie from a few weeks / few months old). I have three children and my first ONLY fell asleep whilst breastfeeding and he still struggles with sleep (9 years later!), so I learnt my lesson for the next two and they are both brilliant at settling themselves to sleep both for day naps and nighttimes.

We had a little musical pull toy that also helps signal sleeptime and whilst some experts would say this would over-stimulate, we found that it is a perfect cue to fall asleep.

Combined with two favourite cuddle toys (we have safedreams Hoppy and Patch) and they stay in the cot, again as a cue for sleeptime.

I also think dummies are fine at sleeptime (baby 2 had dummies and it helped him sleep within seconds of being given the dummy), but baby 3 prefers her thumb which is also fine by us.

Basically having cues for sleep has been the main thing that helped such as the music, the same toys, and the dummy.

jennyn8545 Thu 02-May-13 07:41:40

My best tip for getting babies to sleep (without being still attached to mummy or daddy)
Ever so gently stroke baby's face in swirly movements, Also face baby's pram in the direction of the sun (not for long obviously)
All tried and tested methods on my 3 boys :-)

Littleorangetree Thu 02-May-13 11:46:40

I found that for children under two years old a sleeping bag was definitely the easiest way of making sure they stay cosy. They can't wriggle out of it and you can change the number of layers you put on under it depending on the temperature.

My son was an awful sleeper when he was younger and I found that the best way of helping him settle was to have a very consistent bedtime routine: pjs on, teeth brushed, into bed, two stories then light out (then lie with him until he drops off). As long as the routine was there it really helped him get into the frame of mind for sleeping, and it still does now he's 4.

Littlecherublegs Thu 02-May-13 12:57:14

Non-tester:

My LO has always been a bit of a rubbish sleeper!!
However, we do find that a regular bedtime routine definitely helps. He has the '4 B's - bath, book, boob, bed!!

He also sleeps in a GroBag which we find better than alot of sheets / blankets which tend to come off / end up on the floor!

ShatnersBassoon Thu 02-May-13 14:06:36

Sleeping bags were the best bedding for a cosy, comfy baby here.

My unique method of getting screeching babies off the sleep is to hold them tight to my chest, their head on my shoulder, and march around singing The Grand Old Duke of York. My monotonous singing and the marching motion makes the drop off in no time grin

Fazerina Thu 02-May-13 14:17:34

Non tester

MY almost 2-year-old DS is not the best sleeper in the world, but he always sleeps best when he's had lots of fresh air and eaten healthy meals and snacks. He has a good routine of bath, massage, nighttime nappy and pjs and then breastfeed and cuddling to sleep. We co-sleep and at least that way we all get some sound sleep, but I work on my laptop in the night and he still wakes up every now and then, because I'm not there next to him.. But hey, that's life with kids I guess..

janekirk Thu 02-May-13 16:17:13

Low lighting and gently massage between the eyebrows

noo1985 Thu 02-May-13 19:35:52

I liked the look of the BLUE FLEECE BLANKET it was good quality and the thickness meant it could be doubled over as the size abled you to do this.
I was really impressed with the BLUE COT SHEETS as they were really good quality they washed well and it was good that they were in different colours

~ What did you think of the quality? Have you washed the item? How did it cope with being washed?
Both items washed up fine, even after several washes the cot blankets stayed fine with no bobbles.

~ And how about value for money? You can find out how much the item you've been testing costs here
Excellent value for money on both items, I would definitely recommend as you tend to find baby bedding that is good quality can be quite expensive.

Definitely, I have used the Tesco baby range before because I believe it is good quality and good value for money so I would definitely recommend

~ Now that you've tried a product from the Tesco Loves Baby range, do you think you'd try any others? If so, which one(s)? You can see the whole range here
I would consider trying others like the cotbed sheets for my older daughters cot.

youmaycallmeSSP Thu 02-May-13 20:02:13

Non-tester here. My top sleep tips are:

- use travel-style grobags if you're into sleeping bags. They are brilliant for long car journeys and holidays and both my DC have found them really comfy;
- if you can possibly fit one in your room, get a cosleeper cot or crib; and
- do whatever you need to do to get enough sleep with a tiny baby. You can do sleep training later but it's important to maintain your sanity now.

Wheresthecoffee Thu 02-May-13 22:19:31

Non tester....
I've found sticking to a routine the most helpful for encouraging sleep, coupled with cellular blankets to help keep baby cosy without overheating smile

My top tip for getting your little ones to nod off...... Rub a little Badger Sleep Balm on their temples and forehead. My daughter loves it and she drops off relaxed and calm.

daisybrown Thu 02-May-13 23:17:15

Warm bath, cuddles, nursery rhymes, lavendar room freshener.

MyMillsBaby Fri 03-May-13 16:33:55

I'm not a tester. My ULTIMATE tip though is to roll up a blanket and place it inside a pillow case so it frames the edges. This creates a nest that simulates the womb. Works everytime...

Lamazeroo Fri 03-May-13 19:47:57

Hmm, I'm afraid my only 'tip' (ie. the only thing that works for me) is breastfeeding to sleep.

HellcatMomma Fri 03-May-13 20:41:02

Non-tester:

A stretchy swaddle and a cradle hold cuddle work wonders for our LO. DS is a very sicky baby, so we use a soft moses blanket sheet on the mattress, with a small flat sheet folded under his head to catch any reflux. I find the flat sheet can be washed at a much higher temperature than most muslins and comes out much softer for sleeping on. I'm not sure what we will do in a few weeks when DS has outgrown all our swaddles!

LondonLancashireRose Sat 04-May-13 08:11:03

Back again after having washed the moses basket cellular blankets.

Am slightly disappointed as they have come out a bit bobbly, despite being washed on a gentle baby wash cycle. That being said, they have stayed lovely and soft.

Rosehassometoes Sat 04-May-13 11:31:31

Non-tester

If your baby has a runny nose they'll sleep better a little upright, either in their push chair, a padded baby seat or with the matters raised at one end.

We put DS in his padded chair inside his cot.

delasi Sat 04-May-13 13:32:13

Non-tester here.

Top tips on sleep and bedding - we have a few! But they all work for us really well.

- #1 for bedding is sleeping bags. DS seems to thoroughly dislike having his arms wrapped up (never liked being swaddled) plus he likes to wriggle and wave his legs in the air whilst he sleeps. Sleeping bags stay on, keep arms free and can't be pulled over the head.
- #1 for sleep is hushing and rocking. Started in order to calm a refluxy DS in the night and discovered that he loves it. I never considered doing either pre-DS as I didn't want to get into 'bad habits'. Then I decided that there is no such thing as a bad habit if it means we all get a good night's sleep smile

Some others...
- lullabies and vibrations. We've had a Graco Pack 'n Play as the main sleeping area since birth; it plays music and the mattress can vibrate. These really help to calm DS when refluxy.
- tilt the mattress: if your baby is congested or has reflux then just roll a towel up and place under the head of the mattress.
- co-sleeping: if you're all happy together, then just do it. On the worst refluxy nights co-sleeping has helped us all to sleep.

Doogle2 Sat 04-May-13 18:37:34

Non tester here. My top tip is to buy a travel black out blind. This uses suckers and can be fitted to any window. It's a life saver when you go away on holiday or visit family.

Cot bed sheets (blue) - very nice, good fit and nice feel to them, good having the slightly different colours although I prefer the paler one. DS1 (age 3) has tested these since DS2 has not yet turned up grin
Popcorn pram blanket (blue) - lovely texture to it, slightly annoying that it can't be tumble dried as I don't have a washing line and leaving it on the radiator makes it slightly crispy feeling although that did wear off quickly.

I've washed both items. The colour on the pram blanket did run, but didn't (thankfully!) affect anything else in the wash. The sheet (have only washed the lighter one so far) washed well and seemed to be the same colour coming out as it was going in.
DS1 tells me he likes the pram blanket because it's snuggly. It certainly feels lovely and soft, although it also seems to shed fibres slightly so I'm not too sure about using it with a newborn too often - which will please DS1 no end.

Both are good value for money I think, I'd happily pay that price for them myself (if I hadn't already been sent them to test grin).

Yes, I would - decent value and decent product.

I've looked at some of the other things Tesco sell for baby bedding, and I have my eye on the sleeping bags - I've used those with both my older children and really like them. If I need any more sheets etc then I will definitely look at the Tesco ones too, but I probably have enough already.

stephgr Sun 05-May-13 00:41:34

my best tips are consistent routines and if they can't get to sleep then some sort of motion whether it be rocking in a pram or being driven in the car.

ataraxia Sun 05-May-13 14:26:05

Non tester.

I once read that if you play music while relaxed and rubbing your bump, the child will later find that same music comforting and help her/him get to sleep. Not sure if it's true but seems no harm in trying!

PetiteRaleuse Sun 05-May-13 16:32:54

My top tip is fresh air. My baby always sleeps better when she has spent as much of the day as possible outside. Now the evenings are getting warmer (ha) I wrap her up and take her outside for a short time before bedtime and it seems to help too.

PurplePidjin Sun 05-May-13 21:20:55

Getting baby to sleep? Don't stress about it. They get there in their own time.

Sleep "hygiene" is important: stress-free environment, clean and warm, make them feel safe and snug. If that means feeding to sleep or co-sleeping to make your baby feel safe then you're doing a good job no matter what well-meaning older people might think.

Oh, and if anybody gives you the cats bum mouth because your 5mo still wakes twice a night, ask them when the last time they went 12 hours without so much as a sip of drink was hmm

HappyAsEyeAm Tue 07-May-13 13:21:37

Please remember to tell us what item(s) you've been testing in your response

I was testing the cot bed fitted sheets and the cot bed fleece blanket (both in cream)

Packaging of the fleece balnket was lovely, tied with a ribbon, looked quite luxurious, and something that I would buy for my own child and also buy as a gift. Packaging of the cot bed blankets was less appealing, as they looked like they had fallen out of their wrapper (maybe due to being posted). They looked good colours, and that they woudl do the job well.

Cot bed fitted sheets - they felt a little thin, but nothing to be overly concerned about. The only other cot bed fitted sheets I have to compare them to are from mamas and papas, and I would imagine the tesco ones cost much less then those, so I would expect a reduction in quality. But the problem with them is that they are too short for my cot bed mattress, so I have no use for them. I haven't washed them, as they weren't even used.

Fleece blanket - looks to be lovely quality, very soft and cuddly. It hasn't had much use, as the weather has been pretty good since I received it, so I expect it will have more use in the winter.

Both items - fantastic value for money. That said, I am not comparing these items to other items which I already have of a similar price. I am comparing them to mamas and papas items, which I have had for 4+ years (I am using them on my youngest son after my eldest has long outgrown them). Despite being washed what must be over a hundred times, the mamas and papas ones are still as new. I would not expect that with the Tesco ones (who would for the price?). As such, I would probably prefer to buy these items from mamas and papas when it comes to buying them again, as I have had such a good experience of their products.

Yes.

~ Now that you've tried a product from the Tesco Loves Baby range, do you think you'd try any others? If so, which one(s)?

Yes - mattress protector and/or cuddle robe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now