This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you'd like test a product on Mumsnet please mail insight@mumsnet.com.

NOW CLOSED Walkers Hoops and Crosses - tester review thread

(248 Posts)
KatieBMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 17-Apr-13 10:12:01

This thread is for all the MNers who have been trying new Walkers Hoops and Crosses with their DCs. Below are some questions to get you started but please feel free to add other comments too.

Everyone who adds their feedback on this thread will be entered into a prize draw where one winner will get a £250 John Lewis voucher.

Q1 What do you think of the flavours you tried? Which one did you like the most? And how about your DC?

Q2 What do you think of the fact that Hoops and Crosses are a source of wholegrain? Would you choose them over another snack that isn't wholegrain?

Q3 What do your DC think of Hoops and Crosses as a snack? Would they be happy to get them in their lunch box?

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw!

MNHQ

Tigerlily13 Thu 18-Apr-13 12:08:03

Q1 What do you think of the flavours you tried? Which one did you like the most? And how about your DC?

I'm not keen on meat flavoured crisps, but hubby and son loved the roast beef flavour, and i like the salt and vinegar.

Q2 What do you think of the fact that Hoops and Crosses are a source of wholegrain? Would you choose them over another snack that isn't wholegrain?

Would choose them as they come across as healthier due to the wholegrain.

Q3 What did your DC think of Hoops and Crosses as a snack? Would they be happy to get them in their lunch box?

Son loved them. We don't do lunch boxes yet but would certainly pack them as a treat on a picnic.

I've received mine so just marking my place.

There's nothing on the packs to tell me if they're vegetarian, but all of the allergies advices are on there.
Can you please confirm for me if they're veggie please?
Before I eat any?

ah, it's on the multipack pack, not on the individual packs.

, err, is NetMums doing the same taste trial?

that's mean.

angell74 Thu 18-Apr-13 13:53:37

I took my sample packs when I collected the kids from football training so this is the feedback from 8 hungry kids (five 4 year olds & three 10 year olds) and their 4 weight-watching Mums.

My kids are slightly suspicious of healthy snacks and I thought it would all be over when my 10 year old commented negatively on the 'Wholegrain' label on the pack. However, despite the negative start all comments were really positive, with kids liking the size of the Hoops and Crosses and the Mum's liking the calorie count! The Salt & Vinegar were slightly more popular than the Roast Beef with 8 people preferring Salt and Vinegar and 4 preferring the Beef. My youngest even said that he preferred Hoops and Crosses to the usual Walkers crisps we buy. I think this is because although they are full of flavour they don't seem to be as salty as other crisps. There were a few comments that the texture was very similar to Monster Munch (nice and crunchy) but I disagree - I find Monster Munch just seems to suck all the moisture out of my mouth leaving me feeling uncomfortable - the Hoops ad Crosses didn't. I'm not much of a crisp fan but even I liked the Hoops and Crosses - big bonus being that they have less calories than my usual treat of a Kit Kat.

I really like the fact that the Hoops and Crosses are a source of wholegrains - my kids always worry that wholegrain = cardboard textured food but this definitely wan't the case. I always try wholegrain wherever possible but will go with something the children like to eat as the final deciding factor. With the Hoops and Crossses there is no need to compromise on either factor.

I will definitely be buying this products as a snack for my kids. One of my friends commented that she had spotted them on the shelves in Waitrose and considered buying them but didn't want another snack that nobody likes hanging around the house. We all said that we would pop and get some. Our school allows crisps as an occasional treat so I will be popping them in the lunchbox on Friday's.

Thanks for letting us try this product - I have so many unsuccessful snacks sitting around the cupboard/fridge this was a great way of trying new things.

thequietone Thu 18-Apr-13 13:58:23

Well we were all so thrilled when the packet arrived!

The beef ones went down the best with the boys (we also had salt and vinegar). DS1 found the S&V ones "too vinegary", and I thought the vinegar flavour tasted very false. All in all the beef got the thumbs up.

I don't that would sway me, to be honest, as the boys get enough fibre in their diet already. For me it's the fact they're baked rather than fried that's good.

Q3 What did your DC think of Hoops and Crosses as a snack? Would they be happy to get them in their lunch box?

Well they liked the shapes, but one said "a bit gluey in the mouth" and the other "sticks to my teeth", so there's a consistency issue there. They were swigging water frantically to get all the bits out of their teeth! I think they'd like them in their packed lunches but Twiglets would be their preferred choice.

RollingThunder Thu 18-Apr-13 14:01:27

We all liked the salt and vinegar ones, but then we are a very salt and vinegar crisp family

I like the fact that they are wholegrain, but I am always really suspicious when a snack says that - as I suspect there are lots of unhealthy things they are not mentioning, however I would probably choose them over non wholegrain crisps

They liked them and DS1 asked to have them in his lunch box - however he is totally confused by the name - WHY are they not called naughts and crosses?

I've tried the salt and vinegar, they were nice, not too strong, but stuck to my teeth a lot. I'd worry about the DCs having them while out and about, as it could cause tooth decay.
DS had the S&V too, as he is milk allergic so can't have the roast beef ones. He said they were too vinegary as he doesn't like strong flavours so much.
DH and DD had the roast beef, said they tasted nice (DH took a pack to work today, he must really like themsmile).
The packet size seems a bit small, 18g of crisps is barely a snack, and I felt hungry about an hour after eating them.
Overall a thumbs up, minor issues were pack size and texture.

capecath Thu 18-Apr-13 14:41:13

Actually rather excited about this new snack - thanks for including us!!

We have the roast beef and s&v, just arrived today and we eagerly tried them at lunch time. Went down a storm with the adults and toddler in our house! Liked both flavours, but particularly the beef ones - we're meaty crisp flavour fans here. Keen the try the prawn cocktail because that's my fav flavour. They actually tasted better than I had expected (and I was already expecting good)!

Great! Feel a lot less guilty giving as a snack. Would definitely choose over a non-wholegrain snack (as long as not much more expensive). Love wholegrain snacks. We already enjoy Sunbites.

Absolutely. Toddler (2.8 yo) liked putting the hoops on his fingers. Prob not every day but I'd be up for giving them regularly unlike regular crisps. Contrary to a previous poster, I actually thought the bags were quite big, but then I suppose it depends how big the kid is you are catering for... Bonus: DH takes crisps to work everyday and this way he can be healthier about it too smile

Moominsarehippos Thu 18-Apr-13 14:53:16

Q1 Have only tried the Roast Beef so far (will report back on salt n vinegar). They were very nice (like Monster Munch)

Q2 Great that they are wholegrain. They seem to be healthier than the 'baked' potato crisps and taste a whole lot nicer.

Q3 DS is was hopping up and down this morning when I told him that he could choose a flavour for part of his pick up time snack. He loves this type of snack and I'm glad they aren't packed full of fat or salt. The bags aren't huge but don't disappoint like some packs that claim 'only xx calories' (then you open them and there's three scrips inside).

I will definately buy these in place or ordinary crisps. I'm looking at my usual desk-treat crisp pack: salt 1.9%, fat 28.4% (on a 30g bag).

Q1 What do you think of the flavours you tried? Which one did you like the most? And how about your DC? DD1 (7) and I loved the salt + vinegar best. Yes, it was far too sweet, but it was very tangy - yum! The other 2 DDs (5 and 3) preferred roast beef.

Q2 What do you think of the fact that Hoops and Crosses are a source of wholegrain? Would you choose them over another snack that isn't wholegrain? I don't think there's enough wholegrain in them to make a massive difference, but yes, I'd choose them over a non-wholegrain, all things being equal.

Q3 What did your DC think of Hoops and Crosses as a snack? Would they be happy to get them in their lunch box? They loved them. Not sharp like crisps; perfect bite-size; plenty in the pack without being too much for a 5 yo; good, strong flavours so that I feel like I've had a proper snack

Rikalaily Thu 18-Apr-13 15:43:38

Both flavours tried and both enjoyed, plenty of flavour and just the right size for little hands. I and two of the kids enjoyed the beef flavour most, the others preferred the S&V.

I always like to get a lot of wholegrain into the kids diets and prefer to give them grain based crisps rather than potato.

The kids loved them. The beef are just like Monster Munch but with a much nicer texture, they don't rip your gums to shreds like MM can. They really liked the shapes, especially the youngest who enjoyed sticking the hoops on her fingers. They would be very happy to find them in their lunch box and I'll definitely be buying them.

LtEveDallas Thu 18-Apr-13 15:59:53

DD and I are having a proper taste testing tonight, but I took in a pack of each flavour to work today and got my staff to comment!

Here are their views:

Q1: The veggie preferred the S&V flavour over the beef, thought the beef left a funny taste in her mouth. The others preferred the beef. One person didn't like either, but then she doesn't like corn snacks over crips. One commented that the S&V tasted more like Pickled Onion flavour. The veggie was concerned that whilst the 6 pack bag noted that they were suitable for Vegetarians, the actual crisp packet didn't she and thought that was worrying.

Q2: They all liked the fact that they were wholegrain, but decided that on the whole, as crisps/corn snacks were a 'treat' item in any case, rather than a diet staple, that they wouldn't choose these over and above their current favourites.

I'll answer again from mine and DD's POV tonight.

smile

Beatrixpotty Thu 18-Apr-13 16:38:49

Q1) we tried roast beef & salt & vinegar.DS1 (3) liked the beef ones best.I thought they were a bit strong and preferred the s&v.
Q2) I would choose them as the whole grain makes them seem a bit healthier .I always feel a bit guilty about buying crisps at all so the healthier the better!
Q3)My 3 year old often asks for Hula Hoops for breakfast and would happily eat these any time.!We don't do packed lunches but he has just eaten 2 packets after pre-school.

I saw a packet of Noughts and Crosses crisps today - the utterly vile Organix ones ::heaves:: which explains the STUPID ILLOGICAL name of these hmm

jimblejambles Thu 18-Apr-13 16:59:26

Thank you for picking us to try these.

Q1. I loved the salt and vinegar ones both ds thought these were too vinegary.
Ds1 loved the roast beef ones. Ds2 wasn't keen but to be honest he generally only likes cheese and onion crisps.
They both loved the hoops and crosses shapes and played a few games smile

Q2. The whole grain part doesn't mean as much to me as the no MSG.

Q3 ds1 loves these crisps over any others. He wants to take them to school to show his friends. Ds2 has asked if there are any other flavours to try as he not keen on the ones we have tried.
(While I am typing this ds1 is on Skype telling his gran how nice these crisps are so to him they are a definite hit grin)

Ruprekt Thu 18-Apr-13 17:18:07

Both boys are tucking in to both packets now. I would've liked to try the pc flavour.

Salt n vinegar was v vinegary. Nice. Ds1 liked those.

Beef I was not keen on but Ds2 is eating those.

Wholegrain would not appeal as there is probably something else which counteracts it.

If the price was good I would buy them. Boys both liked them very much.

smilesmilesmilesmilesmileThanks for choosing us to test them!

AlexMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 18-Apr-13 17:26:55

Hi UniqueAndAmazing I've checked for you and can confirm that they are suitable for vegetarians, so tuck in! smile

nowwearefour Thu 18-Apr-13 17:47:00

DD1 and I liked both flavours. I cant choose between them, DD1 prefers Salt and vinegar. DD2 didnt like roast beef at all. DH preferred salt and vinegar.

I like this aspect of the snack. I would still only offer it as a weekly lunchbox item or as a weekly treat (as i wouldnt offer any other crisps every day) but i do think that i feel marginally happier about them than regular crisps for the wholegrain reason and therefore would be more likely to choose them.

They loved the Hoops and Crosses and played a variety of games with them! And would LOVE them in their lunchboxes! (indeed one was lucky enough to get a packet today!). A big hit from this house.

thank you Alex smile

yummy yummy! grin

LtEveDallas Thu 18-Apr-13 18:08:36

Hello, we'll we have done our taste test now and the results are in!

Q1: DD preferred the Beef flavour, didn't really like the S&V at all. I liked them both but beef was my favourite. I think the S&V were like a poor version of pickled onion and not at all like S&V crisps.

Q2: DD didn't care about the wholegrain aspect. She know that crisps are 'bad' for you if you eat too many, and would assume these are the same. I would be much happier buying these for DD than 'normal' crisps. DD likes quavers, wotsits and monster munch - I'd happily buy these instead of the others now. Price doesn't really bother me as crisps aren't something I buy a lot of.

Q3: DD would very happily have these as a snack, both for the taste and the game playing! She wouldn't have them in her lunchbox as her school doesn't allow crisps (they don't differentiate between crisps and corn snacks) but definately would if she was allowed. I will buy these as a snack food quite happily and DD will eat as many as I let her!

Thanks for the opportunity MN smile

WowOoo Thu 18-Apr-13 18:37:46

Thank you Mumsnet and Walkers. Crisps are one of my favourite things..

We all agreed we liked the beef the best.
My 6 year old reckoned that the hoops were more salty and the crosses more vinegary. Not sure I agree on that!
We'll give prawn cocktail a go if we see them in the shops.

Yes, I realise no crisp is ever going to be pure goodness but if it's slightly healthier than other options i'll go for that.

As far as I can see, the ingredients list is not too bad at all. Far, far better than lots of other snacks that are on the market.

A bit of wholegrain is a bonus, yes.

No crisp policy in school.
For day trips and picnics yes. They'd be happy with any crisps really.

They liked the noughts and crosses shape and actually played them on the table without any prompting from me.

MegBusset Thu 18-Apr-13 18:42:33

I thought it was an odd choice of flavours. Why no ready salted, or cheese & onion? None of us really liked the roast beef flavour but we're not really into 'meaty' crisps. DH and DS2 liked the salt & vinegar ones. They reminded me of Monster Munch - very strong, artificial flavours, corny texture.

No, I can't take 'crisps as health food' seriously, sorry grin My DC get plenty of wholegrain in their diet as it is.

DS2 liked them, but then he's a dustbin who'll eat anything. DS1 didn't like the flavour of them, it was too strong. They're not allowed crisps at school and nor would I put them in even if they were! Crisps are an occasional treat for them.

Overall they were OK, fine in texture but would n't buy them unless there were other flavours to choose. Also DH wants to know why they aren't called Noughts And Crosses?

We tried Salt and Vinegar and Roast Beef. Well the DCs had roast beef. I didn't like them. I liked the salt and vinegar. Ds1 said the beef ones tasted liked Monster Munch

I probably would buy them over other snacks because of the whole grain.

All 3 DCs liked them. Ds2 asked me to buy them again and to get some other favours to try so yes they would be happy for them to appear in their lunchboxes.

UniS Thu 18-Apr-13 18:58:52

Next bit of feedback - day two. packed lunch test.

DS - didn't eat his. Saidf he wanted to finish his lunch quickly so he only ate the things he liked. - sandwich, cucumber, apple, fairy cake.
DH - tried the beef flavour- didn't like them " tasted like second rate monster munch"
Me- I thought about having them at lunch time, and decided not to bother.

Sorry, but its a thumbs down from the Uni Family.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now