Please note: This topic is for your comments and feedback on Product Tests being run by Mumsnet. It is not the place to post (or ask for) comments on other products. If you do this, your comments may be deleted. If you'd like to run your own product test, please email insight@mumsnet.com. If you are an entrepreneur or start-up and would like to ask for some feedback, please visit our media requests topic.

NOW CLOSED Kärcher steam cleaner feedback thread: Non testers – win a steam cleaner (RRP: £219.99) for yourself by letting Kärcher know your home’s ‘dirty secrets’

(405 Posts)
AlexMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 26-Mar-13 15:21:31

This is the thread for the lucky 30 testers who were sent a steam cleaner by Kärcher and our currently using it to do the spring clean.

Kärcher say their Steam Cleaners "revolutionise home cleaning, tackling any and all frequent and difficult cleaning tasks with professional results and abolishing the need for hours of endless scrubbing! Our steam cleaner is a natural and environmentally-friendly solution that provides a family-focussed alternative from chemical cleaners that aggravate allergies and are harmful to children, killing 99.99% of all common household bacteria without the need for detergents"*

Testers are trying the SC 2.500 C

Testers: we'll be asking you to add feedback twice - we'd like your first impressions now and in a week we will add some more questions.

So, for your first impressions, Kärcher would love to know:

~ Did you find setting up the Steam Cleaner easy, were the instructions helpful?
~ Where have you used the Steam Cleaner?
~ What were your impressions from the first few uses?
~ What cleaning chore have you been most pleased with the results from using a Steam Cleaner?

If you're not an official tester but you'd like another chance to get a steam cleaner (RRP: £219.99) for yourself then please share on this thread where in your house could really benefit from a bit of a deep-steam-clean. What's your home's 'dirty secret' wink? the place where you've let the grime build up and now can't bear to look at? Where would you most want to use the steam cleaner?

Thanks and good luck!
MNHQ

*When thoroughly cleaning with the Kärcher Steam Cleaner 99.99% of all common household bacteria will be killed on common household hard floor surfaces.

Cailleach Wed 17-Apr-13 13:50:04

My kitchen could really do with a whizz over with one of these: it's small and cramped and very difficult to clean as a result. The grout on my tile splashback is filthy despite bleach and lots of elbow grease, and I suspect steam would help shift the muck much better than scrubbing alone.

And don't get me started on the oven...!

mylot Wed 17-Apr-13 15:39:21

the walls. the bottom third of the 'white' walls (and doors) throughout the house could do with a go.

NoToast Wed 17-Apr-13 16:02:24

We're carers for the PIL who have lived a heady life of non-domesticity in their crumbling house. There have been many spots of shame but most recent yuk moment was realising the 60 year old Aga top wasn't hideously corroded but instead covered in a (in parts) centimetre deep layer of desiccated grease. We'd been told before not to scrape it as the aga had a protective surface! We like to chisel away at it on quiet evenings, am not sure whether a steamer would be up to it...

Sunny2013 Thu 18-Apr-13 16:02:16

Dreaming of owning (winning) one of these fab machines , then my hubby cant whinge at me for spending HIS hard earned money.... Please close your eyes and dream with me , of cleanlieness restored in my home back to pre children running around, when floors that were mopped remained just so .... not worse than when i had mopped them just moments ago.... Of glass panels, mirrors and windows that gleam , not hazy and smudgy from finger prints and lip prints galore :-( .... of a bathroom and a toilet sparkiling and white, clean and dry to sit on oh what a delight that would be for me.... and finally for my poor car to see the grey seats back to what they were, not covered in milk or sweets or worse that cant be read , but no more germs left worrying my head , so if i had one of of these dream machines ....( a fabulous Karcher steam cleaner ) my home would be oh so clean , with no more dirty secrets to share except maybe the oven , but i could target that next, nothing will be exempt from my steam cleaning regime ... so please Mumsnet make my dream come true and send me one of these magnificent Karcher steam cleaning machines ... delivered by a blonde hair, blue eyed, hairy chested middle aged man in a white coat to demonstrate it to me whilst I - -- ---- -- (TBC) if i win xxx now back to reality of a mop and bucket of bleach following around loads of dirty little feet :-)

TheSecondComing Thu 18-Apr-13 16:15:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mummylin Thu 18-Apr-13 16:28:38

I would love a steam cleaner so I could really give my lounge carpet a really deep down clean. I would also like to give my kitchen tiles the same treatment, in fact I would use it all over the house and clean everything that's possible with it.i am too old to be a "scrubber" now!

Lent1l Thu 18-Apr-13 16:48:35

We have wooden floors throughout our house, parquet downstairs and floorboards upstairs. With a cat in the house and my hair, which seems to shed at a rate that means I should by all rights be bald by now, the dust bunnies are not so much bunnies as giant hares (groan!). By the time I've managed to clean all of them away I don't have the energy to mop as well, but I'm sure with one of your steam cleaners I would relish the thought of having bright, shiny, clean floors and my house would be a dust free zone.

natcat7000 Thu 18-Apr-13 20:54:08

Non-tester here.

Definitely the grottiest area of the house is our kitchen. My husband likes to cook (which is lovely of course) but he cooks with wild abandon, chucking bits down the backs of cupboards, tossing spices around and pouring olive oil down the front of the oven. I have a week old baby plus a toddler and can't face deep cleaning the kitchen every time he has been cooking!

jessica789 Thu 18-Apr-13 21:12:33

Non-tester here (but I could really do with one of these)

My dirty secret is our ensuite shower room. We moved into this house 6 weeks ago and it obviously hadn't been cleaned for quite some time. I've done what I can to remove the previous occupiers grime, but still haven't got round to tackling the shower room. Somehow other people's dirt is even worse than your own. I just don't use that shower!

gyinnit Fri 19-Apr-13 10:05:13

Non tester here

My kitchen needs a good deep clean. There are so many areas that get covered in grime and then don't get fully cleaned because its usually time for the kids to go to bed.

morethanpotatoprints Fri 19-Apr-13 12:18:45

Tester

~ After a few uses I have found that I am cleaning in general a lot more. Especially on kitchen floors~

~ Yes I tried the steamer on all 3. Everyday dirt is gone in a wipe, the cooker hood improved instantly and after doing twice was like new. The mildew and mold were instantly gone in the bathroom, as were the limescale and soap debri ~

~ Other places I have tried it on are carpets and rugs, they are like new again and in places of little tread have come up new. There is a bounce to most of them except areas of high traffic, which I wouldn't expect to be perfect.

~ I am not waiting for it to come up in conversation, I am recommending it to everyone I talk to. Several friends have placed an order on German Amazon and saved £100 off the rrp

JoshNCaitlinsMummy Fri 19-Apr-13 12:41:56

I have two children under four so it seems the whole house could do with a good steam clean, but it's under/behind the fridge and my bathroom walls that could use the magic of a Kärcher steam cleaner!

wannaBe Fri 19-Apr-13 12:59:05

~ After a few uses, has your Steam Cleaner changed your cleaning regime at all? If so, how? yes, I actually do clean my house now. wink seriously yes and no. I will use it if I'm doing lots of cleaning i.e. the floors etc, but for things like surfaces I sometimes just don't think and whip out a bottle of whatever because it's quicker than getting the steamcleaner out.

~ Have you tried the Steam Cleaner out on any of the following? If so, please tell us what the results were like: 1) everyday dirt, this cleaned well.

2) limescale in the bathroom. I didn't find that it did much for limescale tbh, maybe I'm doing it wrong.

3) tough grease from the oven hood. yes - I tried this the day I got it actually and ds was marvelling at how clean it looked after I'd steamed it.

~ Is there anywhere else that you've used the Steam Cleaner where you've been impressed with the results? the ceal around my patio doors/window.

~ If it came up in conversation, would you recommend the Kärcher steam cleaner to a friend or family member or not? I probably would, but not sure if I would at that price tbh. It's a lot of money to pay for any kind of cleaning product which while effective is not an absolute necessity such as a vacuum cleaner as there are cheaper (albeit chemical) alternatives. At that price it's not a product that just anyone could afford to go out and buy.

Dittle Fri 19-Apr-13 19:39:15

Our dirty secret is trying to clean out white rug - there's so much foot traffic in our flat that it's always a kind of grubby grey colour and I would LOVE to have it white again smile

PolkaDotCups Sat 20-Apr-13 08:25:14

My dirty secret is ... Laminate flooring and baby led weaning. Honestly she can fling food a fair old distance and our laminate has very fine gaps between each piece (home fitted, the gaps weren't really that visible until the floor was getting a regular pasting in food). It's impossible to get it clean, even on my hands and knees with an old toothbrush.

Really wish I'd been selected as a tester for this product!

sprout44 Sat 20-Apr-13 10:09:15

Pleas can someone tell me how to clean carpets with it, which attachment do you use and a cloth. Also can it clean curtains while still hanging up?
I mainly use mine for kitchen and bathrooms its great for those small to reach areas and corners. Its great in the Fridge, it blasts the dirt form the little angels and ledges.

morethanpotatoprints Sat 20-Apr-13 22:06:05

sprout.

I have done carpets but not sure if you can. There are no pictures on the box of carpets being cleaned and there is for everything else you can do.
Also, there is a warning that says stains can spread to a bigger area, which unfortunately happened to me. My own fault entirely as I had read this in the handbook.
It doesn't clean them from what I can gather, but I used the small brush. Cloths don't glide on the floor and are useless for carpets, i found.
What did happen was lots of hair and dirty fluff stuff came up in the brushes, even on a newish carpet. They look cleaner because of this.
If you do carpets be careful.

Servalan Sun 21-Apr-13 09:28:13

Non tester here

So many areas of my home that could do with a good old steam clean - the inside of cupboards, the "unseen" areas of the kitchen floor under some cupboards that I've ended up just leaving, the greasy tops of the kitchen cupboards (out of sight, out of mind...), the cupboard doors - actually the whole kitchen - let's face it - the uncleanable laminate in the utility area that's just festering - the grotty bathroom tiles...

Blimey - now I'm thinking about it I've really let things build up!! Years of OCD rendered me a curled up, gibbering mess, unable to face the areas of my house that terrified me. I seem to be waking up and tackling it bit by bit - but my goodness, there's lots to do!

JimmyCorkhill Sun 21-Apr-13 13:55:35

Non tester sad and I was gutted!
My dirty secret? Where to start?! I mopped downstairs (all laminate) when we moved in 2 years ago. Now I just baby wipe the worst bits when people come round. The backs of our kitchen chairs and the edges of our kitchen and dining tables have encrusted toddler food on them which I never notice before it hardens like concrete. The kitchen and bathroom taps are starting to look like they're made from coral. I suppose I could have a seaside theme in the bathroom hmm. There are handprints/crayon marks on our walls but I suppose the worst thing is our range cooker. It was brand new 2 years ago but now we daren't use either grill or the large oven and when we use the little side we have to open the back door, put the extractor on and open all the windows to get rid of the smell and the smoke. Hundreds of pounds and we can't really use it...and it's all our fault blush. I lust over steam cleaner infomercials, pleeeeeease pick me!

JimmyCorkhill Sun 21-Apr-13 13:56:29

I forgot to mention the sofa. Maybe I shouldn't mention it as no one would come round blush.

nickysom Sun 21-Apr-13 15:19:13

My home's "Dirty Secret". Now let me see. Basically wherever "The Black Menace" decides to lay his head or go a wandering. Alfie, my crazy labradoodle is affectionately known as The Black Menace. He's meant to be hypoallergenic and not molt but unfortunately he didn't read his job description smile and molts everywhere. In addition to the fur, he loves nothing better than a big muddy puddle and it seems no matter how much I clean, my house always has that eau de Alfie blush. I'd love a Kärcher steam cleaner to help me keep things really clean and smelling of flowers

Eskarina Sun 21-Apr-13 18:30:31

My home's dirty secret is the utility room. It houses the cat's feeding bowls and litter tray and she is a messy girl when using both. Could definitely do with a deep steam clean!

littlemissbehave Mon 22-Apr-13 12:29:47

Non tester and my dirty secret is my hallway. Although it's not a secret as visitors immediately get a bad impression. The floor is tiled and the dog shakes all his dirt and mud off in the hallway and it dries and stays there till the next day....and so on....

Fiderer Mon 22-Apr-13 16:16:57

I bought one after reading this thread. Worth it alone for the ease of cleaning the kitchen cupboards which seem to absorb grease/muck/grime. Hate the faff (and whiff) of cleaning products, the scrub/rinse/wipe hassle which only seemed like a temporary clean and takes ages.

Kitchen cupboards and handles now a shade lighter after one go with the Kärcher. Bathroom tiles/floor very easy. Doors and frames one-wipe clean.

Trying the parquet and windows next. No window-cleaners here so if it makes that job easier I will be even more enthusiastic, have a lot of windows.

Oven glass door - didn't lift the dirt but 'melted' it (was foul) and then I scraped it off with a ceramic hob scraper thingy. Took 4 mins start to finish. I can now see through the door.

Also agree the cloths provided are insufficient but having read that on here I ordered more, and the bathroom cleaning set, all for under €200.

MushroomSoup Tue 23-Apr-13 21:53:50

My dirty secret...if someone is coming round and the house is a mess, I vacuum the stairs only as far as an adult would see from the front door! (My nana taught me that trick!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now