This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you'd like test a product on Mumsnet please mail insight@mumsnet.com.

NOW CLOSED: YouView feedback thread: Non Testers: share the TV programme you'd love to rewind, watch again or pause for a chance to win a £100 JL voucher

(275 Posts)
AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 12-Mar-13 10:59:26

Hello

This is the feedback thread for the 20 testers who have received a new YouView TV box and who are currently trying it out in their homes.

YouView say "YouView is a subscription-free television service which seamlessly combines live and catch-up television. The service offers over 70 free to air channels and radio stations via a TV aerial and also connects to any broadband service to bring catch-up and on demand programmes directly to your TV. The TV service, which launched in July 2012, is backed by BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5, BT, TalkTalk and Arqiva"

The YouView box allows you to record, pause and rewind TV, as well as featuring BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, 4oD and Demand 5.

Testers: we'll be asking you to add feedback twice - we'd like your first impressions now and in a couple of weeks we will add some more questions.

So, in terms of your first impressions. please....
~ give your overall impression when it arrived
~ describe the set up: did you set up your YouView box yourself? If not, who did? How easy did you / your DH/DP etc find it to set up your YouView box?
~ tell us which TV is it on/ in which room
~ share what you/ your family think the first couple of times you used it - what was the best feature and what, if anything, have you struggled with

If you're not a tester, YouView would love to hear from you - for a chance to win a £100 John Lewis voucher please share on this thread the programme(s) you'd love to pause, record or watch again - this could be a programme that's on now, or something special from the last few years or even something from your childhood - the programme which is really special to you and/or your family. Maybe you were on TV as a child and would like to see it again or you want to relive an Olympic moment or even maybe you're a massive Corrie fan and want to never miss an episode! Please share this on the thread and you'll be entered into the prize draw.

thanks
MNHQ

Please note: The final questions have now been added to the thread on Tues 2 April at 11:30

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 22-Apr-13 12:23:32

thanks for all the feedback and extra comments....
Am pleased to say lovemycat has been selected as the winner of the £100 JL voucher. I have pm-ed you.

FuckThisShit Fri 19-Apr-13 16:03:22

Balls, bold fail on the last point.

FuckThisShit Fri 19-Apr-13 16:02:53

~ Has your child/children used YouView? How long did it take them to understand it and get used to it? Yes, all of them have. The older three are all teenagers, so took moments to suss it. DD3 is recently 4 and was using it herself after a few days. I told her the channel numbers she likes and she was away. She pauses, rewinds and fast forwards with ease and is also able to manage MyView, although she has only used BBC iPlayer as she was used to that on the iPad already.

~ Which programmes have you most enjoyed watching on YouView so far? Most, as I can watch them in peace now!

~ Which of the following services have you most enjoyed so far? Live TV/ on-demand/7 day catch up I have mostly used 7 day catch up, as I'm hopeless at remembering when things are on, even when I've set a reminder, confusedhmm which has been fab. The older three DC have used 4OD a lot to catch up/re watch for the 5642nd time the general crap they like to watch.

~ Who in your family has used your YouView box the most? DD3 I suspect, she has been pretty ill for the past few months and it has been an absolute life saver

~ What have you found YouView most useful for so far? Catching up on
shows you've missed/ entertaining the kids/finding something to watch to pass time/ watching TV live/ listening to the radio/ search functionality, backwards 7 day programme guide, on demand players, record functionality * Recording stuff without a doubt. Have built up a nice little library of series that I can sit down and watch in peace, along with loads of films for DD3, and the others for that matter. They can never whine 'I'm boooooorrrrrrreeeeed' again.

Thank you MN and YouView, I absolutely love the YouView box and I don't have any negative points really, bar the slightly slow waking up time, but that's hardly an issue.

natcat7000 Thu 18-Apr-13 21:47:54

Non- tester here.

Teletubbies because it makes my toddler happy and would give me a moment to relax!

Uzma01 Wed 17-Apr-13 20:05:45

The A-Team, Street Hawk, Alf, Monkey Magic and loads more - used to watch a lot of tv as a kid, now as an adult I do feel the 80's had some of the best shows.

From years back: Otherworld (short lived US science fabtasy in the 1980s), Tizwaz (not sure if I've spelt that right) and Jaime and the magic Torch.

From now, Game of Thrones, the Walking Dead and The Following.

twotrackmind Tue 16-Apr-13 21:59:09

And second Supergran... Or Glen Michael's cavalcade.

twotrackmind Tue 16-Apr-13 21:57:59

What programme would I love to rewind, pause etc..? Just about anything as a toddler and extended tv viewing don't mix. I love getting drawn into a drama or a film but hate missing bits! I am thinking of Call the Midwife here.

ClaireFT19 Tue 16-Apr-13 11:23:39

I would like to watch reruns of Supergran. My sister and I used to sit with our Dad and watch it on Sunday's, whilst my Mum was doing shifts as a nurse at the hospital. My Dad was always very busy with work during the week and on weekends doing DIY etc. so this was a special little bit of time just for us to snuggle up with him and share a banana (we never got one each, although now I could have one all to myself!!) on the sofa. Not sure what my little ones would make of it now but then it was great!

prakattack Tue 16-Apr-13 07:44:34

We were just talking about this last night in our house. We're contemplating cancelling our Sky contract (wibble) but need to decide what to replace it with. The YouView box sounds great as I'd definitely miss the pause and rewind features if we lost them!
I'd love to rewind loads of the current programmes - Game of Thrones, Alphas, Broadchurch, The Following....
From eyars back, I'd love to rewind to the original Mr Ben series from when I was growing up - my 3 year old would really love it!

janknitti Mon 15-Apr-13 20:58:50

Tales of the unexpected would be my fave to watch again years later. Plus what about something like The Word ? Yes Terry Cristian was an arse but was a great watch before or after a night out.

FrantasticO Mon 15-Apr-13 20:18:03

Not a tester

Would love to watch Anne of green gables again, as a first never been seen viewing.(rewinding time and no wrinkles, bonus!)
Can remember how much I enjoyed it years ago.

mum2jakie Mon 15-Apr-13 20:06:48

Non tester:

The programme I would most like to pause and rewind has to be Peppa Pig as it buys me enough time to relax and enjoy a cup of tea without needing to keep my toddler constantly occupied to avoid mischief!

PatriciaHolm Mon 15-Apr-13 19:54:59

How long did it take you to understand how to use YouView?
only a few minutes, but we had used a PVR before

Has your child/children used YouView? How long did it take them to understand it and get used to it?
They enjoyed looking through the menus to pick programmes and especially liked the ability to look back as well as forward; they didn't have any problems with it.

Which programmes have you most enjoyed watching on YouView so far?
Doctor Who! University Challenge.

Which of the following services have you most enjoyed so far? Live TV/ on-demand/7 day catch up

Catch up probably, for things we meant to see/record but didn't, or only found out about later.

Who in your family has used your YouView box the most?
DH and I, I think.

What have you found YouView most useful for so far? Catching up on shows you've missed/ entertaining the kids/finding something to watch to pass time/ watching TV live/ listening to the radio/ search functionality, backwards 7 day programme guide, on demand players, record functionality

Entertaining the kids, though it is missing some channels they enjoy that we could get on Freesat (Kix, Pop) which is a pain. On demand is good, I think we will use that more in the future.

So many brilliant programmes on at the mo, we are spoilt for choice - Game of Thrones, Dexter, True Blood ... I could go on all night!

Having read the reviews though, will definately consider a you view box when our free view box packs up in the bedroom

MadameOvary Mon 15-Apr-13 16:22:45

~ How long did it take you to understand how to use YouView?

About two days. I'm still learning though, but only because I am single parent and don't get more time to play with it!

~ Has your child/children used YouView? How long did it take them to understand it and get used to it?

DD is only five so can switch it on but that's it.

~ Which programmes have you most enjoyed watching on YouView so far?

Dancing on the Edge and Dr Who

~ Which of the following services have you most enjoyed so far? Live TV/ on-demand/7 day catch up

On-demand and catch up

~ Who in your family has used your YouView box the most?

Myself, though it's usually to catch up on CBeebies shows for DD

~ What have you found YouView most useful for so far? Catching up on shows you've missed/ entertaining the kids/finding something to watch to pass time/ watching TV live/ listening to the radio/ search functionality, backwards 7 day programme guide, on demand players, record functionality?

Shows I have missed, entertaining DD, Search function is brilliant, backwards 7 day programme guide

zipzap Mon 15-Apr-13 12:59:25

Inmysparetime - sort of! The Tivo and sky boxes could/can rewind at different speeds. But the sky box doesn't have a button to jump back at all - the only way you can go back is to rewind (at whichever speed you want).

It sounds like the youview box has something similar to the old tivo box if it can jump backwards or forwards a minute, it's just the timings are a bit different. The tivo one you could jump back a minute just by pressing the jump button a few times quickly but I rarely needed to go back a full minute - 2 or 3 presses were usually what was needed!

However if the youview box has this feature then it is something that would make me feel well disposed towards it when we come to changing (thinking we might well do soon as the price of sky is whizzing creeping up and dh likes the rugby which I think is shifting off sky for next season... that's his only justification for having sky so i need to make sure that whatever we get next has what I want on it too! I also find the sky box (not an HD box, not sure if they have improved them for that) is pretty rubbish features-wise compared to the tivo box, especially given the tivo box was so much older. I could rant for hours on how rubbish the sky box is but as that isn't the point of the thread I'll slink off and save everybody from my rantings!

DuelingFanjo Mon 15-Apr-13 11:12:52

If you're not a tester, YouView would love to hear from you - for a chance to win a £100 John Lewis voucher please share on this thread the programme(s) you'd love to pause, record or watch again

I would really like to watch a sitcom called 'the Wolvis family' again. it was about a family in family therapy and aired around 1990-ish. I used to run home from my shift at the university library to watch it as I thought it was amazing.

escape Mon 15-Apr-13 09:07:02

I'd love to rematch Grange Hill from my 'glory years' of the CBBC Broom cupboard - late '80's probably gong from 'Zammo' and gang through to Gonch & Holloway, Imelda, Jackie & 'Tegs' etc - loved every character smile

Zipzap, the YouView box has different speeds of rewind, or a button to go back or forwards by a minute. Is that what you mean?

zipzap Sun 14-Apr-13 23:34:13

I'm not a tester but the thing that I really would love to rewind is a special type of rewind (probably not quite what you had in mind sorry) - a feature from the original TiVO boxes from about 10 years ago. (I've had to switch to sky as lightening zapped our tivo box and by then they had discontinued the service in the UK, long before Virgin picked it up again and we weren't able to get the box fixed).

Anyhow, the TiVO remote control (which was ergonomically brilliant, very comfortable and intuitive) had a 'jump' button on it that allowed you to jump back just 10 seconds (or you could press it several times in a row to jump back a bit further). It was fantastic when you just missed a word or two and didn't want to do the whole rewind malarky. It sounds such a trivial thing, and something that the functionality is already covered by being able to rewind. However, it ended up something that we used a lot and I still find my hand going to find a 'jump' button now, a good five years after I last used it.

As for actually watching something - I'd love to watch all the trashy american tv shows that I get hooked on just as they get their funding cut and so finish. I'd love it if they made a nice 'happy ever after' final episode for each one (I'm an optimist, I love nice happy endings!) to wrap everything up nicely, all the will they/won't they couples get together and so on.

Well, I missed 'The Voice' yesterday because I was a bit busy sat in a delivery room trying to not give birth at 27 weeks. It's not important to me, I'm just annoyed that I missed it!

Seaholly Sun 14-Apr-13 09:23:11

It would have to be revenge as it's so watchable! It annoys me I can't watch the next episode immediately!

florencebabyjo Sun 14-Apr-13 08:52:06

This is so hard!
I think it would have to be Brigit Jones Diary, and the scene where they have the fight inside and outside the restaurant. This is very funny and very uplifting. I know it's a film not a tv program, but it makes me smile every time and would be one to rewind and watch when I have a minute to myself ;)

Fanjango Sun 14-Apr-13 00:13:37

Bit cheeky but as a talktalk customer who has just signed up for youview have anyu of you had experiance of how the box functions on minimal speed? I have a speed of between 3.5 and 2.5. Will it work at all? They say it will over at over 3 but does it and what happens when the speed drops?
Hijack over
I would love to see re-runs of the Goodies. I was too young to really remember them and remember they were funny (at the time)!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now