This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you'd like test a product on Mumsnet please mail insight@mumsnet.com.

NOW CLOSED: YouView feedback thread: Non Testers: share the TV programme you'd love to rewind, watch again or pause for a chance to win a £100 JL voucher

(275 Posts)
AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 12-Mar-13 10:59:26

Hello

This is the feedback thread for the 20 testers who have received a new YouView TV box and who are currently trying it out in their homes.

YouView say "YouView is a subscription-free television service which seamlessly combines live and catch-up television. The service offers over 70 free to air channels and radio stations via a TV aerial and also connects to any broadband service to bring catch-up and on demand programmes directly to your TV. The TV service, which launched in July 2012, is backed by BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5, BT, TalkTalk and Arqiva"

The YouView box allows you to record, pause and rewind TV, as well as featuring BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, 4oD and Demand 5.

Testers: we'll be asking you to add feedback twice - we'd like your first impressions now and in a couple of weeks we will add some more questions.

So, in terms of your first impressions. please....
~ give your overall impression when it arrived
~ describe the set up: did you set up your YouView box yourself? If not, who did? How easy did you / your DH/DP etc find it to set up your YouView box?
~ tell us which TV is it on/ in which room
~ share what you/ your family think the first couple of times you used it - what was the best feature and what, if anything, have you struggled with

If you're not a tester, YouView would love to hear from you - for a chance to win a £100 John Lewis voucher please share on this thread the programme(s) you'd love to pause, record or watch again - this could be a programme that's on now, or something special from the last few years or even something from your childhood - the programme which is really special to you and/or your family. Maybe you were on TV as a child and would like to see it again or you want to relive an Olympic moment or even maybe you're a massive Corrie fan and want to never miss an episode! Please share this on the thread and you'll be entered into the prize draw.

thanks
MNHQ

Please note: The final questions have now been added to the thread on Tues 2 April at 11:30

DorisIsWaiting Tue 12-Mar-13 21:35:44

I'd love to be able to watch Fraggle Rock, dd2 is very much like I remember Red to be but she's never seen it!

So, in terms of your first impressions. please....
~ give your overall impression when it arrived
~ describe the set up: did you set up your YouView box yourself? If not, who did? How easy did you / your DH/DP etc find it to set up your YouView box?
~ tell us which TV is it on/ in which room
~ share what you/ your family think the first couple of times you used it - what was the best feature and what, if anything, have you struggled with

When it arrived I was surprised how well packaged it was, it took me longer to get into the box than it took to install and set up wink Once it was unpacked I was impressed with the look of the youview box, sleek and glossy.

I set up the Youview box myself, dp was out doing the school run and I was too excited to wait, plus I'm more technicaly minded than him. It was very easy to set up the box, I used the wifi adapters too and the instructions were very vague but I managed to get everything installed within about 20 minutes maximum.

The youview box is in our front room on our main tv.

I've really enjoyed catching up with episodes of Call The Midwife that i had missed, dd4 has enjoyed the milkshake catch up function, we set it to play loads of fireman sam episodes whilst I was doing the ironing. During the day we have been using the catch up service a lot but of an evening it freezes I'm presuming due to more people locally using their internet. I have also changed the eco mode as it was taking a long while to turn on, its much quicker now.

youmaycallmeSSP Wed 13-Mar-13 10:17:49

Not a tester.

I would love to be able to pause or rewind some sports games to spot friends and family in the crowd. They always say they were on TV but I always miss them!

WowOoo Wed 13-Mar-13 10:23:30

Not a tester.
But I would love to rewind Prof Brian Cox's recent programme, 'Wonders of Life.' (think that's what it was called). I couldn't record it.

When he gets to facts about physics, I need to listen to it more than once in order to actually understand what he's saying. I may have to buy the DVD if there is one.

I have to pause 'Spiral' when it comes on. Just to make sure I haven't missed anything and that Dh and I both understand everything that is happening.

IncogKNEEto Wed 13-Mar-13 10:54:22

Overall impression when it arrived

Very shiny! It was well-packed (the sticky tape was a little difficult to remove though!) I was very impressed to have the wireless adapters included.

Initial set up

DH set it up, he said it was very easy to set up. There were a few issues with signal strength but these were easily sorted and he said the set up menus were clear and easy to use. The pictoral quick start instruction book was good too.

Which tv is it on?

The television in the bedroom, which allows us to compare and contrast with the Sky+ box in the front room.

What do I / family think about it, its best feature?

I like the easy to use menu systems. I have already recorded several things and it's great to have the option to record and watch simultaneously. I don't seem to have many children's channels available though, so think it would be difficult to persuade the children to sacrifice Nick Junior if we swapped it for the Sky+. However we have a good range of channels to suit the adults, and the picture seems good.

The only issue I have is with the remote, I really don't like the 'clicky' buttons, would much prefer softer rubbery buttons that were quiet!

Overall, I am very impressed with the box and would happily swap it for the Sky+ if it wasn't for the children's channels, and the fact that DH loves his SciFi!

LaVitaBellissima Wed 13-Mar-13 12:19:35

Not a tester but I do love using the rewind button on our TiVo box it is a great function. I always remind the good auditions on the talent programmes.

Currently I never miss an episode of Hawaii five 0 and Revenge, they are both brilliant!

ouryve Wed 13-Mar-13 12:30:08

BBC have made some fabulous documentaries, recently. The one with the penguin cams and Wonders of Life come to mind, in particular. Their only flaw is the lack of ad loo breaks, so being able to pause those would be perfect!

aristocat Wed 13-Mar-13 12:40:14

Not a tester.

We are currently watching re-runs of Fawlty Towers, and it is still brilliant TV. There are several programmes that we currently pause/rewind.

DD does it to Tracy Beaker/My Parents are Aliens whereas DS will rewind the Football or WWE Wrestling to see the goals/moves again and again.

There have been some fantastic animal documentaries lately (such as the Polar Bears/Giant Otters) and I do it on these as sometimes I do not always hear what was said correctly.

HazeltheMcWitch Wed 13-Mar-13 13:12:01

Non-tester here. I'd love to watch Twin Peaks again. I cold buy the box-set I suppose, but I never have.

I'd also love it if classic kids tv was available.

missorinoco Wed 13-Mar-13 14:15:19

Not a tester. What would I watch over and over again? Realistically - Peppa Pig to give me an hours solid peace during the day!

What I do like watching over again? Have I Got News For You reruns. They make me laugh.

JedwardScissorhands Wed 13-Mar-13 14:25:26

Not a tester.

Would love to pause and rewind Doctor Who, because I am always distracted by something and have to ask what happened, who is that, why are they.... Etc

Cambam2010 Wed 13-Mar-13 14:26:59

I'm another one for The Adventure Game. I'd love to see that again. But I fear that if I did, perhaps it wouldn't live up to its memory, so maybe its better off just residing in the depths of my memory bank.

CheeseStrawWars Wed 13-Mar-13 14:40:39

I'd love to watch Jim Henson's The Storyteller again. Loved that when I was small, great stories, and a bit dark. It doesn't seem to have made it onto UK-friendly DVD though.

Ikea1234 Wed 13-Mar-13 14:53:42

We were on holiday at Christmas / New Year, and we forgot to record Mr Stink.....am so annoyed for missing it! (As is my nine year old, who has barely spoken to me in three months!)

kirstydoodle Wed 13-Mar-13 14:55:56

One Born Every Minute for me! =)

shhhgobacktosleep Wed 13-Mar-13 15:08:55

Overall first impressions
Once we'd managed to break through the endless amounts of sticky tape (looked like the office junior had been let loose with the sellotape dispenser gun grin ) it was very well packaged & protected inside the box itself. Its a nice looking box and I like the clock and channel display on the front of it.

Set up info
Dh set the box up without need of the instructions that I was taking the time to read grin. It took him about 10mins in total and was really simple and quick to do. We've noticed that some of the adverts on TV for it mention a set up fee of £50 and absolutely cannot see why it would even be necessary for an engineer to call out to install it.

Dh was particularly excited with the supplied dlan adapters grin.

As many of the others have also mentioned, we too are not great fans of the clicking remote buttons, but tbh so far thats the only complaint we have.

Which TV
It is currently set up on our bedroom tv as we still have our virgin Tivo box in the lounge but dh is so impressed with the Youview box that we will be cancelling with virgin next month when our contract ends and then it will be moving downstairs.

Best feature
Picture quality is really good and it doesn't seem to need to buffer for an eternity when watching on demand services like iplayer, unlike the Tivo box we have through virgin.

Struggles
Initially we were unable to get itvplayer which we were surprised at but dh called the customer service team. It would seem that not all the transmitters are transmitting itvplayer and as we live on the South/South East border it was simply a case of switching to another, which took only a couple of minutes. The operator he spoke to warned that it may be that our local news would no longer be the correct one for our region but this hasn't been the case. He was as impressed with the customer service team as he is with the box itself.

Katryn Wed 13-Mar-13 15:14:42

I'd like to watch some episodes of a cowboy series called The Virginian, which all our class at school loved. Actually we were all in love with the actor who played the Virginian. Love to see now, who that actually was.

bigflipflop Wed 13-Mar-13 15:26:53

I would love to rewind and watch Lizzie Dripping, mainly to see if the witch behind the tombstone was really as scary as i remember

Stujobohm Wed 13-Mar-13 15:40:25

I would love to pause rewind and rewatch play days.... I loved this when I was young and think my little ones would love it now xx

LittleRedVan Wed 13-Mar-13 15:49:02

Eldorado - I loved that! I was in sixth form at the time and it was my guilty pleasure! Marc-ooooos! smile

gazzalw Wed 13-Mar-13 16:15:34

Non-tester here - The whole of the since revived Dr Who series - they all follow on and sometimes I'm too dense to see the connections and clues that are in the individual episodes. So I would love to be able to pause, rewind and digest, ponder and deduce what's really going on. But maybe I would need to be able to time travel to do that grin - maybe this would be the closest we ever get to that!

dublindee Wed 13-Mar-13 16:37:17

Non-tester here...

I'd watch Firefly again. I can't believe it was axed after only 1 season as it was brilliant!!!

Housemum Wed 13-Mar-13 16:51:30

Unrealistic, but I'd love to be able to almost go back in time by accessing an archive of programmes from any date in the past, as complete as possible - so you could spend a whole evening as you would have done, say, on your birthday in 1984 or something. Would be great to see just what we watched, and to watch as if it was that day - would be an eye opener for the kids!

Personally, wish the old Billy Smart Easter/Christmas circuses were available as I used to go and was on screen a few times in the pre video days (though embarassing I was too young to think of the animal cruelty sad )

And as a more populist view, the children's programming of the 70s/80s would be great to revisit. I've spent a fortune on DVDs of Grange Hill, Pipkins, Bagpuss, Ivor, Hector's house etc

Some dramas I'd love to be able to watch again - one about a taxi driver called "Take Me Home", one called "have your Cake and Eat It", Danger UXB, one with Trevor Eve that I can't remember the name of, think it might also have had the guy with the eyebrows from Downton, and one from way back in the 70s about the Bethnal Green tube station disaster.

RockStock Wed 13-Mar-13 17:02:08

In the meantime you should all watch this, it's an awesome reminder of my childhood, so if you were born around 70-80, you'll totally get it!

RockStock Wed 13-Mar-13 17:04:03

bigflipflop Lizzie Dripping was, without doubt, my favourite programme when I was a child. I would also love to see if the witch really was that scary! Here was another one I loved which had a girl called Tizzy in, but I cannot remember what it was called.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now