This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you'd like test a product on Mumsnet please mail insight@mumsnet.com.

NOW CLOSED Put a Kärcher Steam Cleaner through its paces (RRP £219.99) and get to keep it after testing.

(466 Posts)
AlexMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 11-Mar-13 12:26:22

We've been asked by Kärcher to find 30 UK based Mumsnetters keen to put their Steam Cleaners to the test.

Kärcher say their Steam Cleaners "revolutionise home cleaning, tackling any and all frequent and difficult cleaning tasks with professional results and abolishing the need for hours of endless scrubbing! Our steam cleaner is a natural and environmentally-friendly solution that provides a family-focussed alternative from chemical cleaners that aggravate allergies and are harmful to children, killing 99.99% of all common household bacteria without the need for detergents"*

They are particularly looking for MNers who are brand new to steam cleaning and who are keen to make light work of their cleaning needs. From day to day tasks such as laminate flooring and kitchen surfaces, to those jobs we all put off such as limescale and mould in the bathroom and tough grease on the oven hood in the kitchen.

For more info on the Karcher steam cleaner that's available for test, click here - testers will be trying out the SC2.500C model. Kärcher say "We are thrilled to have created a product that achieves professional standard cleaning without the need for chemicals just using tap water. Our steam cleaners are perfect for busy parents who don't have the time to spend hours on end cleaning but want to achieve a deep down clean. 99.99% of all household bacteria are killed when thoroughly cleaning with the Kärcher Steam Cleaners hard household surfaces."

We're also looking for a further 5 testers to demonstrate the versatility of the cleaner by taking video footage of it tackling a variety of common cleaning issues, including:

~ Everyday dirt on laminate floors or tiles
~ Baked on oven grease (on the over hood)
~ Mould/limescale on bathroom tiles

If you're happy to make a film for Kärcher please tick the box on the application form. Videos will be recorded using a smartphone, so please make sure you have one of the models listed on the form. If you're selected you'll be asked to film yourself in your home using the product. You'll then need to send the footage here to MN. Please note the videos will be edited into a montage and will feature on the Kärcher website as well as on retailer websites. It may also be used elsewhere (eg Facebook, MN) - your name will not be used.

If you're selected to take part then you'll be asked to leave feedback at least twice on a thread on Mumsnet: we'd like first impressions and then some comments after you've used the cleaner a few times. You'll also be asked to add a review to the steam cleaner review section on MN.
Everyone who takes part in the product test and leaves their feedback as requested gets to keep the Kärcher steam cleaner after testing (RRP £219.99).

Additionally, the five testers who send in video footage as required will be sent a £20 John Lewis voucher.
Deliveries will take place on Thursday 21st, Friday 22nd and Monday 25th March. Please indicate on the sign up form what day and time slot you prefer.

If you'd like to take part please add your details here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/BLHKPWK

Please only apply if you are around at the end of March/ Early April for testing and feedback.

Thanks and good luck!

MNHQ
PS - look out for the feedback thread because if you're not selected there's a chance to win your very own Kärcher SC2.500C worth £219.99!

*When thoroughly cleaning with the Kärcher Steam Cleaner 99.99% of all common household bacteria will be killed on common household hard floor surfaces.

ninja Fri 22-Mar-13 11:38:25

Still waiting for mone, they have 25 mins left (and the snow isn't THAT bad!!)

I'll be trying it on my knackered sofas too

Oh - there's a delivery van outside! Back soon smile

slambang Fri 22-Mar-13 11:38:53

It's here. smile Poor delivery man's been slipping and sliding round the roads but still on time.

Now scissors to get into the box...

TheReturnoftheSmartArse Fri 22-Mar-13 11:52:43

YOU CAN DO SOFAS ON IT?! REALLY?!?!?!?! Now that I did not know. How exciting - I'll definitely be trying that this weekend. But surely it doesn't actually clean them? confused

Wild , the front door and window sills are just wood painted with gloss, but they looked really end-of-winter grubby and now they're sparkly white, like snow! grin

TheReturnoftheSmartArse Fri 22-Mar-13 11:53:13

Not "on" it ... WITH IT, clearly. [sigh]

LillethTheCat Fri 22-Mar-13 12:01:09

oooh can't wait for Monday now. Why on earth did I say Monday for my delivery slot?

mine isn't at home yet. They do have until 5pm tho... but still!

FeijoaVodkaAndCheezels Fri 22-Mar-13 12:20:28

Mine arrived at 9.30. My kitchen floor is clean and I just need the kids to go to bed so I can tackle the bathroom.

ninja Fri 22-Mar-13 12:28:27

It's Here - but so are three kids, so might haveto wait...

WildThongsEggHunt Fri 22-Mar-13 14:34:39

First job done, bathroom floor cleaned and the grout round the tiles is white again!

I didn't find the instructions very helpful so went on the Karcher website for some tips steamy

ouryve Fri 22-Mar-13 14:35:40

Mine arrived this morning. I was surprised how small the box was - expecting something bulkier.

And it's still in the box. My back's playing up, today and the walls of the house are so cold that I don't want to be generating steam, or else I'll be having to go round and dry all the walls off before more mould appears. I have 2 dehumidifiers blasting away, as it is.

Tried mine out. Only done the hall as ds is on one today.

It left the (admittedly cheap) laminate wetter than expected, although still dryer than a mop. The instructions aren't too clear either. I'll be able to use terry cloths as replacement pads I think, which is good

morethanpotatoprints Fri 22-Mar-13 18:55:58

I will agree that the instructions aren't that clear, having never used a steam mop before I wasn't sure how to do the carpets.
Well, I unpacked it today and set it up, was just about to start when dh came in and announced it was his new toy. Then dd 9 also joined in. (Instructions state over 8 can use it, so if you fancy child labour). No just joking, it was obviously the novelty. Anyway, both of them proceeded to steam anything that didn't move and now we have quite a clean house downstairs.
Of course I will give feedback in a constructive way, but atm can't think of anything else to say other than "Every house should have one". Would I have spent that much on one? No I wouldn't have done. But now, after almost full days use, most certainly. The amount of money you could save on cleaning products would soon recoup the investment.

morethanpotatoprints Fri 22-Mar-13 19:00:42

The return

I thought I read it wasn't for use on painted or polished surfaces? Wow will do my window cills now. I am attempting our mattress tomorrow, should be fun.

We have dralon covered dining chairs, have come up a treat but a bit damp, still not half as wet as a carpet cleaner though

slambang Fri 22-Mar-13 19:17:22

Well I've steamed everything bar the cat. Am I the only one who's just a little underwhelmed so far? (as grateful as I genuinely am). I was really keen to use it on my greasy cooker hood but despite 3 separate sessions with every tool available the hood still feels a bit sticky Fairy Power would have done a better job in half the time. Perhaps I'd been duped by the adverts and expected miracles.

Am I delighted to have one? Yes
Will I use it? Yes for some jobs.
Would I buy one for £219? Nope. Sorry blush

I have more comments + and - but will save them for the review section.

wannabeEostregoddess Fri 22-Mar-13 19:28:31

Hope mine gets here on monday through the snow sad

FeijoaVodkaAndCheezels Fri 22-Mar-13 19:56:43

I saw carpets mentioned up thread. Is there a way to do carpets? Because my no way near potty training toddler keeps removing her nappy then ends up weeing on the carpet.

Not going near the landlord's leather furniture though!

morethanpotatoprints Fri 22-Mar-13 20:28:08

I have used mine on the hall, stairs and ds2 did his carpet today. Oh it also did a fantastic job at removing a stain from a self coloured carpet we had. Carpets look better, but not sure on the patterned ones if they are cleaner. Dh asked how you would know, so maybe somebody else has the answer.

Ooh I must try it on the carpets, only done tiles and floors so far and I'm very impressed.

Can I use it on the inside of my manky electric cooker do you think?

morethanpotatoprints Fri 22-Mar-13 23:04:10

Tequila

I did carpets and have looked on their website, seen the demos and nowhere does it show carpet cleaning.

Please don't do it on carpets because others have, I'm sure now that I shouldn't have

It does also say not the inside of ovens but dh did the Knobs and strips and the inside of the doors and it was ok. These were one glass and one enamel. The strips and knobs are enamel and plastic.

Thanks morethan, ill have a google about tomorrow, maybe there's some videos on youtube too.

Ok so now I've had a proper play with it (once I prised it from DH!), I love it! It has brought my manky rugs up a treat. The glossed doors are sparkly too, but the house is like a Turkish bath grin

Off to steam upstairs now!

SoupDreggon Sat 23-Mar-13 12:06:25

Do you think it would be good at de-icing a car?
Or clearing snow from a driveway?

ninja Sat 23-Mar-13 13:31:59

So how do you do rugs and carpets? With the floor tool or just balst them with steam??

I like the fact that you can use it to clean lots of things, so I can do the whole bathroom with just changing nozzles - not convinced about the bath though, may be forced to reclean.

Kitchen floor tiles lovely and clean.

About to challenge with with a slightly manky shower cubicle.

I used the smaller floor tool (without the cloth on) to do my rugs. About to tackle stair carpet using same tool.

ninja Sat 23-Mar-13 13:37:40

I like that one - it's the hand tool isn't it, you can just sweep it across anything! Thanks ...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now