This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you'd like test a product on Mumsnet please mail insight@mumsnet.com.

NOW CLOSED: Share the favourite teatime treat for your family - you could win a £50 voucher - also feedback thread for Birds Eye range testers

(126 Posts)
AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 06-Mar-13 11:17:12

This is the feedback thread for the Birds Eye testers who are getting their family to try items from the Birds Eye range in the run up to Mother's Day.

This is part of the Birds Eye "Teatime Handover" project which is all about encouraging families to prepare, eat together and have fun teatimes together - each family were sent £15 of Birds Eye and supermarket vouchers and have been tasked with making a teatime meal for Mum in the run up to Mother's Day this year.

Birds Eye would like to invite all MNers to share on this thread their best teatime treat in your family - whether savoury or sweet - what goes down well at teatime in your household? Add your comment and you'll be entered into a prize draw where one winner will get a £50 John Lewis voucher smile

If you are a tester please share with us how your family got on with making tea for you - let us know...

~ who normally cooks the family meal in your family
~ who was involved in this task and how they got on
~ what they prepared and how - if they jazzed up the Birds Eye products - did they try out any recipes? Do include links if you can.
~ what your verdict was on the meal? Did your children like it? Did your partner?
~ any other comments?

Everyone who takes part will be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win a £100 John Lewis voucher.

Thanks
MNHQ

PS: For easy recipes and Teatime Handover tips visit www.facebook.com/BirdsEye.

Pozzled Mon 11-Mar-13 14:31:08

Our teatime treat is pizza crumpets- just crumpets with a squirt of tomato and grated cheese. Sometimes sweetcorn and ham. Both DDs love 'cooking' them by putting the toppings on themselves.

Pozzled Mon 11-Mar-13 14:31:59

That should have been tomato puree. Not sure how you'd squirt a tomato.

lorka Mon 11-Mar-13 14:39:30

Not a tester. The best tea time treat has got to be homemade crepes still warm with chocolate spread filling for pudding!! Yummy. smile

cutie101 Mon 11-Mar-13 14:40:58

Our family treat night is fajitas, my 2 year old gets so excited and runs around the house shouting "guacamole" which sounds more like "wak-oh-lee". She adores putting veg into her tortilla and wrapping it up...and in turn we love being able to sit down to a meal, chatting and relaxing!

Crumpets are top in our house!

CMOTDibbler Mon 11-Mar-13 14:48:14

If ds is really lucky, then its make your own pizza. As I'm gluten free, this is usually chebe bread (brazilian cheese bread) as a base, either a reduced tomato sauce if I have time, ketchup if not and whatever you fancy and can find in the fridge/cupboard on top. Ds likes his stacked high!

Or pancakes - this is normally allowed on a school night as he'll have had a proper hot lunch. Again, free for all on toppings, but nutella and banana, strawberries and squirty cream, or my secret awful topping - black cherry pie filling and choc icecream/squirty cream blush

openupyourdoor Mon 11-Mar-13 14:48:54

Teatime treat for the kids: they go mad for rainbow rice - a brilliant storecupboard invention of rice, differetn coloured veg - whatever I have and a bit of spice, with a big dollop of mango chutney!

Teatime treat for us: crispy skin salmon with a homemade thai dressing and sticky rice- yum

Not a tester but our favourite teatime treat is pasta with tomato and mascapone sauce from Waitrose with grated cheese on top. All the kids love it!!

dogslife Mon 11-Mar-13 14:53:01

not a tester but making pizzas always goes down well here, particularly if they can look like various cartoon characters by the end!

serendipity1980 Mon 11-Mar-13 14:53:33

Our special teatime treat is home made fish and chips - always a hit with our DC!

StellaMarie Mon 11-Mar-13 15:11:52

Teatime treat for us is poached eggs or baked eggs - I often do scrambled but the others taste nicer but are more fiddly to ensure a nice 'dippy' yolk.
My lazy, yummy teatime treat when DH isn't home (as he doesn't like them) are fish finger sandwiches with vinegar and mayonnaise!

katiewalters Mon 11-Mar-13 15:20:58

Favourite tea time treat would be fish finger sandwiches and pudding wise would be ice cream and homemade brownies

JennyEatwell Mon 11-Mar-13 15:29:35

Not a tester, but one of our favourite is "anything in a wrap, that involves chilli and spices". LOL We love Mexican Burritos, Chicken Salsa wraps, Coronation chicken with iceberg lettuce in wraps, BBQ minced pork fajitas etc. If it will go in a wrap, it's always a success!

Whistleforit Mon 11-Mar-13 15:39:28

Epic Fish Tacos (Londoner blog) are totally brilliant, you can amend the ingredients to suit you family and everyone gets to make their own which does please children enormously. You need to spend a bit of herbs to make them the best but maybe has frozen fish in herb sauces that would work? I always get the fish on offer and freeze it, maybe I should check BE.

Whistleforit Mon 11-Mar-13 15:39:57
glitch Mon 11-Mar-13 15:54:22

I'm not an official tester but just adding our favourite tea-time treat.
Myself and my DS are rather keen on making a golden syrup sponge in a mug and having it with ice-cream for pudding. It serves 2 beautifully grin

Sausages, chips and beans in our house, closely followed by fish fingers, potato waffles and beans or sweetcorn. Classy us grin

To follow jelly and ice cream!

pennylovesleonard Mon 11-Mar-13 16:04:06

Sooo excited to be chosen! We got our voucher and all went to the supermarket together early Saturday morning to buy our birds eye goodies!

Dh and dd (3 years old) are gonna to take over the cooking so they got to choose what to buy!

~ who normally cooks the family meal in your family

I normally do but dh will at the weekend. When it's his turn to cook though we often end up with a takeaway!
My 3 year old dd loves to help too.

~ who was involved in this task and how they got on

We all went shopping together & dh & dd. chose what to buy. We were really impressed with the range and got nice beef burgers, chicken burgers, chicken chargrills, chicken pastry bakes and waffles. We had gourmet burgers with wedges - delicious and dh is planning some chicken fajitas for in the week.

On
~ what they prepared and how - if they jazzed up the Birds Eye products - did they try out any recipes? Do include links if you can.

Gourmet burgers were fab! We looked at the recipes on Facebook and were inspired. I'll post some photos later.

~ what your verdict was on the meal? Did your children like it? Did your partner?

The burgers were great, very successful even dd tried some!

~ any other comments?
Looking forward to chicken fajitas and the chicken pastry bakes look lovely!

I love waffles and they are great with baked beans and grated cheese

I thought the Facebook page With the recipes was great & there were lots of things we'd like to try.

weenwee Mon 11-Mar-13 16:04:15

We love slow cooker stew for tea time! Pop everything in, set it, leave for the day, come home and the house smells delicious, everyone gets yummy warm bowl of happiness together!

JS06 Mon 11-Mar-13 16:24:12

Not a tester.

Our favourite post school tea is pasta with a shop bought tomato/basil type sauce with some strong cheddar grated on the top. 2 teens love it, it's quick and can be on table in 12 - 15 minutes, after school hunger pangs satisfied, all plates/bowls cleared completely.

BollyGood Mon 11-Mar-13 16:47:20

Gnocchi, soft cheese and spinach. That's it! All the family love this and it takes minutes to put together.

MyWorkIsDull Mon 11-Mar-13 16:54:57

Favourite tea time treat - scrambled snake!
Seriously? Home made chips, with salt on the side to dip. Yum!

PepeLePew Mon 11-Mar-13 17:05:12

Mine particularly like anything that resembles a take away. So sometimes I roast a duck and we have it with pancakes, or I buy bags of frozen dim sum from the Chinese supermarket.
Or "picky bits" - ordinary food cut into bite size pieces, skewered with cocktail sticks and served on a tray. They will eat more or less anything if it is served in that way

Fairymitzi Mon 11-Mar-13 18:11:40

favorite teatime treat for us is chicken nuggets, yougurt, tomato & cucumber in a pitta mmmm

peronel Mon 11-Mar-13 18:13:28

Cream cakes such as chocolate eclairs/profiteroles, home-made iced buns, home-made gooey meringues with lashings of whipped cream and other goodies. All displayed on a cake stand with an open log fire on a Sunday afternoon; delicious!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now