This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you'd like test a product on Mumsnet please mail insight@mumsnet.com.

NOW CLOSED: MNers needed to try a YouView box (RRP £299) and share their thoughts on site

(178 Posts)
AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 26-Feb-13 11:26:51

We've been asked by the team at YouView to find 20 UK Mumsnetters to try out a YouView box and to share their feedback on Mumsnet.

We're looking for folks who are keen to switch from their current TV provider or who want to add this box to another TV in their home. Testers should be in the UK and have at least one child at home.

YouView say "YouView is a subscription-free television service which seamlessly combines live and catch-up television. The service offers over 70 free to air channels and radio stations via a TV aerial and also connects to any broadband service to bring catch-up and on demand programmes directly to your TV. The TV service, which launched in July 2012, is backed by BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5, BT, TalkTalk and Arqiva"

You can get YouView free as part of a broadband subscription from BT or TalkTalk (activation / installation fees may apply) or to buy from all major retailers and many independent electrical stores - RRP from £299.

There are some technical requirements for this product test:

~ To set up a YouView set-top box you need to connect it to your TV via a HDMI cable or SCART lead, to your TV aerial and to your broadband router via an Ethernet cable

~ If your router is more than 2 metres from your box you'll need a longer Ethernet cable than provided or will need to use a powerline adapter.

~ A minimum broadband speed of 3Mb/s and an unlimited data allowance from your broadband supplier is recommended.

YouView also say "The service has pause, rewind, fast-forward and record functionality for live TV giving you more flexibility when enjoying your favourite TV programmes. We also offer the option to record one show while watching another, gives reminders to let you know a programme is about to start and has up to 300 hours (500GB) of storage space for your programme recordings in MyView"

Please read all about YouView here

Before you apply please ensure you check your details here - checker.youview.com/ to ensure you can receive the YouView service at home and check you have unlimited broadband as this is recommended.

If you're selected to take part you will be sent a YouView Humax DTR T1000 box worth c£299 - you'll be asked to install it at home, try it and add feedback at least twice to a thread on Mumsnet. You'll be asked to add your first impressions and then to add extra feedback a week or two later to share what you've been watching, recording, pausing and how you and your family are finding YouView. We'll also ask you to add a review to the reviews area on Mumsnet.

If you'd like to take part please add your details here

So long as you add feedback as required you will be able to keep the box.

Thanks and good luck

MNHQ

Jumbs Tue 26-Feb-13 13:53:16

Oh, I would love to try this! We live in a semi rural area where there is no cable availability and I don't wish to pay for Sky. Would love to have access to catch up tv and on demand services both for my self and the kids.

We have sufficient broadband speed and can meet the other technical requirements.

Hmr1717 Tue 26-Feb-13 14:03:28

Oooh oooh oooh. Pick me! Pick me!

Filled in the survey grin

hurricanewyn Tue 26-Feb-13 14:19:01

I just filled in the survey, but got a funny message when I submitted. Can you check if mine is in please Ann?

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 26-Feb-13 14:43:22

hurricanewyn - no - can you try again?

schilke Tue 26-Feb-13 14:52:05

I have BT vision so not sure I can try this! I would love the bigger recording box as ds1 keeps filling it up with Match of the day and top gear!

I would love to try this as I'm fed up of DS always pinching my laptop to watch Iplayer and the likes.

TheFallenNinja Tue 26-Feb-13 15:20:06

I'm available to test.

HotheadPaisan Tue 26-Feb-13 15:28:03

The survey say no, can't get through to the link, just hanging. Tried in two browsers.

Kiriwawa Tue 26-Feb-13 15:29:09

Oh I've just seen the bit about having to connect the box to the telly and the router - my router is in another room to both the tellys sad

Would it work if it was connected via a HomeHub plug which I use now to watch IPlayer on the telly in the living room?

HotheadPaisan Tue 26-Feb-13 15:41:48

Survey was a bit wonky re: formatting, can you confirm you received my response please MNHQ, thanks.

orangepudding Tue 26-Feb-13 15:56:02

I also want to know if it can be connected via wireless. We have a sky box but can't use iPlayer etc as trailing the broadband cable across the living room is not practical.

TheChaoGoesMu Tue 26-Feb-13 15:56:10

Ooh me please. grin

shhhgobacktosleep Tue 26-Feb-13 16:08:20

Would love to give Youview a try and hopefully rid ourselves of virgin 'sometimes I'll work sometimes I won't' media. And Mr Gobacktosleep would be shocked to his core that I had contributed something to the watching of TV in the family grin.

Have completed the survey but didn't receive the usual acknowledgment, can you check for me please that its gone through?hmm

UterusUterusGhali Tue 26-Feb-13 17:31:28

I'd love to test this!
We're getting rid of sky due to cost. This could be an option! This digital stuff is a bit of a mystery to me.

BreadForMyBREADGUN Tue 26-Feb-13 17:33:01

Yes please!

bluebump Tue 26-Feb-13 17:57:58

This looks great. I didn't think my broadband speed would be good enough but according to the tester it is so i'm in <fingers crossed>

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 26-Feb-13 18:35:25

HotheadPaisan & shhhgobacktosleep - yep the form arrived ok.

Am asking re wireless queries - bear with

exiledmancityfan Tue 26-Feb-13 18:50:39

Meee Pllllllleeeeeeeaaasasssseeeee wink

Jayne266 Tue 26-Feb-13 19:13:09

Done

ItsallisnowaFeegle Tue 26-Feb-13 19:18:03

This would be perfect for us! We are considering upgrading from Freeview and were just talking about the YouView box, and wondering if it would be worth the money.

Keeping all my fingers and toes crossed grin

Good luck everyone!

pixi2 Tue 26-Feb-13 19:18:08

I have no idea what half of that blurb meant. We are with talk talk. Now I know with our previous provider we went over limit levels so will need to check if we have any data limits, although from the way DH streams you tube whilst watching football it may appear not.

Also, I have never had anything but free view. The whole pause and record live tv etc is soooooo new to me I desperately want to try it. I love that ad with the sweeping hands. Whatever ad that is (pays no attention to RL at all, an advertisers nightmare).

PearlyWhites Tue 26-Feb-13 19:22:14

Would love a you view box , be great for catch up

hurricanewyn Tue 26-Feb-13 19:31:02

Thanks Ann - have tried agan. Think I was successful this time

shhhgobacktosleep Tue 26-Feb-13 19:46:52

Thanks Ann

Yes PLEASE!

I am sick of Sky! I even posted a thread about this a few weeks ago...

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/_chat/1660391-I-HATE-SKY-But-I-love-SkyPlus-Is-there-an-alternative

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now