This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you'd like test a product on Mumsnet please mail insight@mumsnet.com.

NOW CLOSED Cadbury Egg n Spoon tester feedback thread. Non-official testers welcome too - prizes for both to be won!

(129 Posts)
KatieBMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 12-Feb-13 15:24:41

This thread is for the 70 Mumsnetters who have been trying out the new Cadbury Egg n Spoon kid's Easter treat with their DCs. But we'd also like to hear from those of you who weren't part of the official MN product test but who have tried the Egg n Spoon chocolate treat.

Below are a few questions for you to answer but please feel free to add any other comments you may also have.

All 'official' testers who add their feedback to this thread will be entered into a prize draw where one winner will receive a £250 John Lewis voucher.

Everyone who wasn't part of the official product test but who adds their feedback will be entered into a separate prize draw to win a £100 John Lewis voucher.

- What were your and your DC's first impressions of Cadbury Egg n Spoon?

- Which flavour did your children try? What did they think of the taste/texture/size etc?

- How did your DC eat the egg? Did they find it fun to eat or not? Was there anything they particularly liked or disliked about it?

- Would you say your child found the Egg n Spoon more of a special treat compared to other chocolate they eat or not? If so why is this? If not, why not?

- If it came up in conversation, would you recommend the Cadbury Egg n Spoon to a friend? If so why? If not why not?

Thanks and good luck,

MNHQ

AlexMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 06-Mar-13 14:38:26

Hello everyone, thank you for taking part and for all your feedback. I'm pleased to announce that the winner of the product test is Rhumba who gets a £250 John Lewis voucher. Congratulations!

Also congratulations to GoingGoingGoth who wins as an unofficial tester and gets a £100 John Lewis voucher!

Well done to you both.

Fillybuster Tue 05-Mar-13 14:52:23

I was We were a bit sad not to be picked for this trial, so I went out egg-hunting in order to conduct our own test session at home anyway.

All 3 dcs enjoyed their eggs, but we also had a problem with the 2:4 spoon:egg ratio. Please please please could you get Cadbury to change this, as the arguments were nearly severe enough to put me off buying the product again...?

Obviously I had to have the 4th egg, in the interests of quality control and for the avoidance of leftover chocolate hmm

Dcs reckon the eggs were "great" "really yummy" and "can we have them again please?" I thought mine was a bit sweet, but accept I'm probably not the target market.

I would definitely buy these again as a holiday treat smile

whitest4r Tue 05-Mar-13 14:07:02

My DD loved them and wrote her own review (as she ate all four of them!):

I really enjoy the packaging; it really shows of the Cadburys effect.

The spoons are nice but maybe you could have 4 spoons because there are 4 eggs.
Now, the eggs……. They were so good I personally ate them all!

The chocolate brand ‘Cadburys’ has fantastic chocolate so the eggs must be good…..

A perfect blend of Cadburys chocolate with the creamy centre, lovely (I wish they were in stores)!

Surprisingly (not) the eggs went rather quickly, so maybe in the future there could be 6 eggs , or even 8!

It is something I can not live without, plus I would NEVER give it up for lent because I like them so much!

Jessje Tue 05-Mar-13 13:49:00

Just found ours last night by the front door.. Thank you Mr Postman!

Very excited, couldn't wait to test!

- Which flavour did your children try? What did they think of the taste/texture/size etc?

We had the chocolate flavor. We had it as dessert last night. The children really enjoyed it and asked if we had more to test..:-)) Think for adults it might be a bit too sweet.

- How did your DC eat the egg? Did they find it fun to eat or not? Was there anything they particularly liked or disliked about it?

They both ate with the spoon. They liked it, much better than a boiled egg!
But we did wonder why four eggs and only two spoons? Because if you bring it as a treat to a picnic some people will have to eat with hands?

- Would you say your child found the Egg n Spoon more of a special treat compared to other chocolate they eat or not? If so why is this? If not, why not?

Because of the package, included spoons and the chocolate mousse inside the chocolate egg it makes definitely a more special treat.

- If it came up in conversation, would you recommend the Cadbury Egg n Spoon to a friend? If so why? If not why not?

Yes, it is a fun and special treat for children.

Blu Fri 01-Mar-13 11:31:16

HELP!
Please, which shops still have these?
My Mum bought some for Easter for DS and I have accidentally eaten 2 of the eggs.
Now I can't find them in stock anywhere.
Anyone seen any?
S London sightings especially helpful.
Or mail order.

elizaco Thu 28-Feb-13 09:42:32

Although not one of your official testers, me and my family have tried this product. It was on offer at half-price in Booths supermarket when I bought it, so was £2. I thought this was an OK amount to pay - no way would I have paid the full price of almost £4. We enjoyed the product. Both the chocolate and the mousse filling were tasty and a good texture. We liked the quirky packaging/spoons and thought it was a great Easter treat, but not something I'd buy regularly.

Belo Wed 27-Feb-13 11:27:06

We liked the packaging - same as a real egg box

We tried the milk chocolate. We liked the light mousse flavour. As you ate it with a spoon, it felt more like a dessert. Didn't feel bloated afterwards.

With a spoon - but, that caused problems. We took a box around to a friends house to have with their children. 4 children, 4 eggs, 2 spoons. Queue argument!

Yes, because of the spoons. But see above...

Yes, because of the lightness and the fact it felt like a treat

gazzalw Wed 27-Feb-13 08:01:38

No, Lent1l, I don't remember them but they might have been more scrummy from an adult's point of view wink

Lent1l Tue 26-Feb-13 23:06:14

Not read all feedback but am I the only person to remember that Milka had exactly this product several years ago? 4 eggs in a box with spoons, 2 of which had a light mousse centre and 2 a dark one.

Can't comment on what my dad thinks as she's too young to try.

Littlemousewithcloggson Tue 26-Feb-13 21:12:29

Saw these in Morrisons and bought for £2 which is the most I would pay for these.
Packaging was great and fun and stopped the eggs breaking. However only ended up as recycling so a brief novelty really.
Ended up with 2 different flavours but still can't work out how to tell from the packaging which flavour is which so think that needs to be clearer.
2 spoons for 4 eggs is ridiculous as we bought these for the whole family to enjoy and standard teaspoons are too big.
My kids 3 and 4 loved these. They bit off the top and ate the middle with the spoon before devouring the chocolate. However they did get very messy as the eggs would not fit into an egg cup and the heat of them holding them melted them quickly.
They keep asking for them again and I will buy as a treat but only if £2 or under.
I myself enjoyed but thought the middle was too sweet and sickly. Personally prefer a normal chocolate bar!

MrsKeithRichards Mon 25-Feb-13 17:58:11

What were your and your DC's first impressions of Cadbury Egg n Spoon?

Loved the packaging, instantly felt more special

Big hit taste wise, a lot of yum yum! Nephew was here and he was very impressed too.

How did your DC eat the egg? Did they find it fun to eat or not? Was there anything they particularly liked or disliked about it? Spoons were an issue, issue I did without but more than 2 kids and there'd be fights

Most definitely

Yes as an Easter treat that's a bit more interactive than eggs

Sorry I'm an official tester late to the game

gazzalw Mon 25-Feb-13 14:53:41

Thanks - not that we go to petrol stations often as no car! My fleecing in search of these eggs bears out my long-held belief that Sainsbury's is very expensive!

MerryMingeWhingesAgain Mon 25-Feb-13 14:03:43

It was a tesco petrol station smile Last Thursday. There was no 'offer' sign, they were just 1.50 and that seemed reasonable so I thought we'd give them a try.

gazzalw Mon 25-Feb-13 13:49:22

Wow where did you get them for £1.50 MerryMinge...? I paid £4.00 in Sainsbury's!!!! I totally agree that £2.00 should be RRP.

MerryMingeWhingesAgain Mon 25-Feb-13 12:24:52

Unofficial testing here. Milk chocolate flavour. I paid 1.50 for the box of four - just looked them up and seen the RRP is 3.99? shock
I would probably pay up to £2 but no more.

DS tried his. He was very excited about the spoon and he said the filling was chocolately and yummy, and it was 'much more funner' to have a spoon to eat it with (he's 4). He is quite keen on sweets and chocolate generally.

Packaging is cute - too much wrapping but mainly recyclable and will be played with I think.

The spoons - No spoons or 4 spoons - fine.
2 spoons for 4 eggs is INSANE and a recipe for disaster/fighting/sharing slobber with unhygienic small beasts.

grumpalumpa Sun 24-Feb-13 21:51:01

When we first received the eggs the children and I thought that they looked exciting. My daughter wanted to keep the box and made something sparkly and sticky with it. I am not sure what flavour we tried but they had a cream coloured flavour inside. My daughter loved them but she does have a very sweet tooth whereas my son didn't like them at all - far too sickly and to much. They both bit the tops off and used the spoons for the insides as well as a few finger scoops.
I would buy these eggs as a special treat as found them a bit to big for kids to have a treat and too sickly, too much inside and not enough shell if that makes any sense. Mixed feelings in our house but then my two children always disagree with each other!!

janji Wed 20-Feb-13 22:19:45

Both my dd and ds and their friends lived these, especially the presentation in a 'proper egg box?' Biting off the lid and then scooping out the mousse inside was great fun for them and made the product stand out more than other eggs. They even insisted on keeping the spoons to use for other desserts! Each egg was very rich but that made them feel even more of a great. Prices tend to vary in the shops near us and they do work out expensive when retailers are selling them for £3.99 per box. But, my children loved them and their uniqueness so will definitely be buying again.

RedBerryJoyTown Wed 20-Feb-13 17:03:10

I thought it looked interesting, the children were very excited at the idea of chocolate in an egg box.

They tried the milky mousse. They liked the taste, especially DS who said he could easily eat 100. DD found the middle a little sweet but both really enjoyed the chocolate. The texture and size were good.

Both bit the top off and then ate the inside with a spoon, then the shell. They found it really fun.

I think they found it more of a special treat. This is due to the presentation - the box and the spoons.

I would recommend it as something a bit different. It felt like a special treat. I might give them as Easter presents or take them if I was visiting someone with children...although my mum loves Cadbury's chocolate so I might give a box to her as a little present too.

Kanne Tue 19-Feb-13 23:02:15

Well this has been a huge adventure for us. I have 3 DC, DS 9, DD 8 and DD5.

My DS is autistic and got a bit teary when he seen the packaging as he loves eggs and thought I had bought the wrong kind! I had to explain that they were chocolate ones. He loves cadburys dairy milk bars so showed him how the packaging was like that. He then watched his sisters dive into theirs. DD 5 loved cracking the chocolate and said it tasted nice but said she didnt like the white mousse filling. DD8 loved hers and thought it was her lucky day as she got to finish off her little sisters. DS spent 3 days staring at his before deciding to unwrap it and then promptly wrap it up again. Eventually he bit into it. He doesnt manage cutlery well at the anytime. But he ate the whole thing. He said it tasted like the icing we put on his favourite cake. Its great that he tried something new as it is a rare occurance. However my biggest problem is going to be when it comes to later in the year and I wont be able to buy them. I think I may need to stock pile them.

iseenodust Tue 19-Feb-13 22:22:44

DS 8 was highly impressed with the concept (caveat most chocolate impresses him!). He liked the egg and spoon novelty of it and I served it up as dessert in an eggcup. He thought the chocolate was good and liked the fluffy middle. He gave a score of 9/10. Unprompted he said a creme egg gets a 10/10 for having the appearance of yolk.

I liked the packaging, it's clearly Cadbury's with that shade of purple. I also thought the sit down and eat it with a spoon idea fits with the movement towards 'mindful eating', putting aside the fact it's confectionary. I was not so keen on the cream filling and concluded the chocolate round the outside was not as thick as that on a creme egg.

To others I would say try an egg n spoon, they are certainly a bit of fun. However, in this house the creme eggs have it. <Admits to regular consumption over many years.>

CoffeeandDunkingBiscuits Tue 19-Feb-13 22:22:31

We liked the egg box packaging - Love purple. smile There should be 4 spoons in the box though. V. Annoying!

Which flavour did your children try? What did they think of the taste/texture/size etc?

We had milk chocolate. They liked the taste of both the egg and the mousse and declared it to look like a Milky Way inside.

How did your DC eat the egg? Did they find it fun to eat or not? Was there anything they particularly liked or disliked about it?

They used the spoon. Then cracked the egg and licked the remaining mousse. Then ate the choc. They had a ball eating it!mespecially if the chocolate fingerprints everywhere are anything to go by!

Would you say your child found the Egg n Spoon more of a special treat compared to other chocolate they eat or not? If so why is this? If not, why not?

Yes! Not only be cause it was chocolate, because we don't eat much of it,, but because it was 'fancy' chocolate that came with stuff inside and 'accessories'!!

If it came up in conversation, would you recommend the Cadbury Egg n Spoon to a friend? If so why? If not why not?

Yes, as it was so yummy!

67jules Tue 19-Feb-13 19:14:55

What a hit in our house!

First impressions - girls loved the concept and the packaging - wanted to keep the purple box to make something with it.

Which flavour - we tried the milky mousse, girls thought it tasted of cake, comments of 'fantastic', 'totally delicious', 'double thumbs up'

How did they eat them? - unwrapped them, bit the top off, ate the centre with the spoon. Bit messy for the youngest - should've maybe put it in an egg cup! However they went quick, and I didn't get offered any!! Eating with a spoon made them last a bit longer and more of a 'dessert'

More of a treat?
Probably, in our house, nice for a party, or Easter present instead of an egg.

Would I recommend it?
Yes, as a treat, much nicer than creme eggs (too sweet and sugary), but I've seen the price today, and not sure I'd pay full price for them. Lets face it, most of the cost is in the packaging not the chocolate, and I'm all for maximum chocolate!

Might have to try the chocolate mousse centres though.....!

ShoutyHead Tue 19-Feb-13 13:35:04

My daughter squealed with delight when she opened the package and said that it was the best surprise ever. We all thought the packaging looked great and all wanted to try the eggs.

My children tried the milk chocolate flavour. They loved everything about the egg, especially using the spoon to scoop out the centre. They loved the texture and flavour. My son said it was like a boiled egg but chocolate.

Both Dcs bit the top off the egg, then used the spoon to scoop ou the centre, before eating the shell.

Yes, they see this as a special treat. It lasts much longer than a normal chocolate bar and is fun. They especially love using the spoons. We even put the eggs in an eggcup to make them easier to eat.

- If it came up in conversation, would you recommend the Cadbury Egg n Spoon to a friend? If so why? If not why not

Yes, I have already bought some more egg n spoon for my children and for my niece and nephew in place of a normal Easter egg. I have also recommended to a few friends as a great treat for the children and mum too. I like the novelty value of this product and also the taste. If you could make one with a mint or praline flavour centre I think I would be in heaven.

Lizzabadger Tue 19-Feb-13 10:15:38

I bought them for £3 in Waitrose. I thought they were very substandard for a Cadbury's product. The chocolate was thin and fairly tasteless. The vanilla filling was like very artificial buttercream, not mousse. The packaging was fun but it didn't make sensevtonhave 2 spoons for 4 eggs. I'll stick to creme eggs in future.

Puppypoppet Tue 19-Feb-13 07:56:24

I bought some from the supermarket after seeing the product trial thread on here. I thought they looked interesting and the novelty factor would appeal to DD. DD wanted to try them after seeing them in the shops and through they looked "yum".

DD tried the ones with the white filling. DD liked cracking open the egg and being able to eat it with a little spoon. The size and chocolate was perfect but we both found them too sickly. The filling seems to be the reason for this - if it wasn't quite so sweet they would be nice. I bought them on Saturday and DD and I have eaten 1 each - the remaining 2 are still untouched which is unusual - chocolate usually gets eaten quickly round here. DD is keen to try the chocolate filled ones as she feels they may not be as sickly. I think they will probably be sicklier though.
DD ate the egg with the spoon - thought it was a bit strange there are only 2 spoons with 4 eggs. DD enjoyed the novelty aspect of the egg box etc.

Had it not been so sickly it would be the perfect treat.

Sorry probably would not recommend to a friend just too sweet - however if this was sorted would definitely recommend, as would DD.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now