Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career x

This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you'd like test a product on Mumsnet please mail insight@mumsnet.com.

NOW CLOSED Cadbury Egg n Spoon tester feedback thread. Non-official testers welcome too - prizes for both to be won!

(129 Posts)
KatieBMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 12-Feb-13 15:24:41

This thread is for the 70 Mumsnetters who have been trying out the new Cadbury Egg n Spoon kid's Easter treat with their DCs. But we'd also like to hear from those of you who weren't part of the official MN product test but who have tried the Egg n Spoon chocolate treat.

Below are a few questions for you to answer but please feel free to add any other comments you may also have.

All 'official' testers who add their feedback to this thread will be entered into a prize draw where one winner will receive a £250 John Lewis voucher.

Everyone who wasn't part of the official product test but who adds their feedback will be entered into a separate prize draw to win a £100 John Lewis voucher.

- What were your and your DC's first impressions of Cadbury Egg n Spoon?

- Which flavour did your children try? What did they think of the taste/texture/size etc?

- How did your DC eat the egg? Did they find it fun to eat or not? Was there anything they particularly liked or disliked about it?

- Would you say your child found the Egg n Spoon more of a special treat compared to other chocolate they eat or not? If so why is this? If not, why not?

- If it came up in conversation, would you recommend the Cadbury Egg n Spoon to a friend? If so why? If not why not?

Thanks and good luck,

MNHQ

VestaCurry Sat 16-Feb-13 14:24:44

I was sent a pack to test. I'm not sure which flavour mousse we had, it tasted chocolatey.

The dc's (aged 11 and 9) loved the packaging 'just like an egg box, that's clever' and they couldn't wait to try them because they had seen them in a supermarket the week before. They loved the little spoons. Because there were two, and four eggs, they said 'that's two each', but I reminded them I wanted to try one too and one of their friend's was visiting, so one each! The friend (age 10) said his Mum had bought some and he thought they were delicious. He was issuing instructions about how to eat them (break the top carefully, eat the top and use the spoon to scoop out the mousse) so there is a novelty factor attached to eating these eggs.

The children loved them, thought the mousse middle was delicious (better than a creme egg), and they liked the whole experience of carefully breaking the top of the egg after unwrapping it.

Because there were 4 of us eating at the same time, we had a bit of a problem having only 2 spoons. You need v small ones to scoop out the mousse centre. It didn't bother me (I just ate mine in a couple of mouthfuls) but three children and only 2 spoons caused a bit of a stir until I found an espresso teaspoon which was exactly the right size.

I enjoyed mine, although the mousse was a bit sickly sweet. The children said they would like more in the future, as much for the fun factor as the taste.

I'd recommend them to others as an Easter gift and I will buy a box for each of my dc's for Easter Sunday. I don't think I would buy them usually, I fleetingly remember the promotional stand in the supermarket and thought 'too expensive'.

Thanks for sending us some to trysmile

ohmeohmyforgotlogin Sat 16-Feb-13 16:49:38

I am an official tester as I am really Ohmeohmy but have forgotten my password and have wasted hours of my life trying to reset it to no avail. Anyway:
What were your and your DC's first impressions of Cadbury Egg n Spoon?

LIked the packaging, good that it is recyclable.

- Which flavour did your children try? What did they think of the taste/texture/size etc?

Thought it was all one flavour. DD and DH both really liked it and said they were better than creme eggs. Liked the lighter mousse texture and the size was fine. Personally I didn't really like it, too sweet and didn't particualry taste of vanilla

- How did your DC eat the egg? Did they find it fun to eat or not? Was there anything they particularly liked or disliked about it?

DD really enjoyed having the little spoon and scooping it out. and she wanted to keep the spoon afterwards.

- Would you say your child found the Egg n Spoon more of a special treat compared to other chocolate they eat or not? If so why is this? If not, why not?

think it was a novelty but wouldn't say it was more of a treat. Think the novelty would wear off pretty quickly

- If it came up in conversation, would you recommend the Cadbury Egg n Spoon to a friend? If so why? If not why not
I am sure DD would enthusiastically but I wouldn't as think it is too sweet with little flavour.

girliechat2004 Sat 16-Feb-13 19:03:38

My DC absolutely loved the box that the eggs came in! So did my DH!

We received the milk chocolate variety. My DC thought they tasted really nice and asked me to buy them again.

To eat the eggs, my DC first put them in an egg cup holder. They then tried breaking the chocolate with the mini spoons but when this didn't work, they bit the tops off. Using the spoons, they scooped out the middle mousse. They loved scooping out the mousse in the middle. I think they were a little disappointed that the egg didn't crack with the spoon. Also the fact there were only 2 spoons but 4 eggs wasn't great.

I'd say they found this a special treat and something they would probably associate with this time of year leading up to Easter.

- If it came up in conversation, would you recommend the Cadbury Egg n Spoon to a friend? If so why? If not why not?
If it came up in conversation, I would recommend this product as it is a bit of fun for the kids. I'm sure that it would be quite expensive though.

RubyMurry Sat 16-Feb-13 19:26:33

Ds and dh loved the box the eggs came in, a good gimmick

Ds bit the top off and then used the spoon to eat the centre, he liked the taste at first but then thought it was too sweet. Dh thought the spoon was a good gimmick but he said it too small for him and ate the egg without it, also said that the centre could have been lighter like a walnut whip and would have preferred the egg to be thicker.

Ds thought it was a great treat.

I would reccommend it if it came up in conversation and would probably buy it as a gift for a friend at Easter

StrawberryGateaux Sat 16-Feb-13 20:31:25

Good points:
Lovely packaging, dc loved itsmile
They tasted lovely, especially the white centered one!
Lovely treatsize.
Spoons just the right size.
Good as an easter gift or occasional treat.
Look attractive & appealing to kids.

Bad points:
Price could be lower imo.
4 spoons should be provided, 2 isn't enough when you have 4dc!!!

CheeryCherry Sat 16-Feb-13 21:06:37

1. We all loved the real egg box, and the colour. We all liked the little spoons too! But we would have preferred 6 eggs and 6 spoons. There are 5 of us in the family, so one had to do without. I would recycle the boxes for my hens then!
2. We tried the chocolate why, didn't realise there were different flavours. I found it too rich, didn't like the gritty texture, but DCs preferred them to creme eggs.
3. Bit off the top, spooned out the egg. Loved the dinky spoons! Was fun. It was more an experience than just the usual choc.
4. Definately a treat, not a snack. Too rich for an everyday snack. But pricey for the size, compared with other choc bars.
5. Yes would probably recommend but with a 'possibly too rich' warning!

moomin87 Sun 17-Feb-13 09:28:17

Kid's first impressions were that they were cool, as were packaged like real eggs. I thought they were a bit of a novelty for kids but perhaps a bit too much packaging.

We tried the white chocolate mousse ones. Both kids and I liked the texture and taste. prob about the right amount as they are quite rich, but much lighter than a creme egg!

Both kids bit the top off and scooped the mousse out with one of the little spoons. I just scoffed mine without the spoon creme egg style! I think if you are going to provide 4 eggs, you need 4 spoons. If I had more than 2 children, one might have felt left out as they wouldnt get a spoon!

I think they did find it a bit more special than a normal chocolate bar because of the packaging, but think the novelty factor might soon wear off. But its a good gimmick to distinguish it from similar products on the market.

I would recommend them as they were yummy!

greengoose Sun 17-Feb-13 10:50:41

Not part of the test, but we went to the shops and got our own!

1 loved that it was a real egg box.. And the spoons made it special
2 chocolate...hmmm bit rich for me, but DCs liked it.
3 had a race first... Spoons a bit small for this, much cheating! Then bit off top and used spoon, then ate choc at end.
4 would have at Easter, but from my point of view doesn't beat creme eggs!
5 would probably say it was a bit expensive, and rich, but that the novelty made it worth while as seasonal treat. Like that the box could be reused or composted.

me and dp loooove them! we've tried far too many of the white centred ones .

and as for sharing with children this must be a joke... they're far too nice to share.

oh and i love the wee spoon I've been searching for a spoon small enough to eat the centre of a cream egg for yearsgrin

aristocat Sun 17-Feb-13 12:09:09

We have also tried these, with a mixed reaction from my DCs

Brilliant - loved the box and opening them.

DD tried the chocolate and DS the milky one. DD ate all of hers but afterwards said she thought it was OK. DS only ate a little of his sad

We all bit off the top section, scooped out the inside and then ate the empty shell. I thought they were divine ........

Both of mine would prefer a bar of chocolate but such a brilliant idea.

Yes, beautiful chocolate and a lovely treat for Easter.

MrsKeithRichards Sun 17-Feb-13 12:50:07

I'm an official tester but haven't received mine yet. I have had a card saying there's something to collect from the sorting office that doesn't have enough postage on it and I've to pay £3.20 I've got a feeling it's these as I'm waiting for nothing else

darksideofthemooncup Sun 17-Feb-13 14:35:17

We got ours last week and I have just eaten the last one
Loved the packaging which my Dd thought was very cute. There should be 4 spoons though

Ours were chocolate flavour, didn't know there were any other sort. My Dd wasn't keen on the mousse inside and found it quite sickly. She liked the outside shell though.

She ate it with the spoon which was a novelty.

Not especially if anything it is a bit more of a faff and the actual egg doesn't live up to the exterior packaging

Yes but only for the novelty of the packaging, not the egg itself.

CombineBananaFister Sun 17-Feb-13 18:21:55

Non-official tester of all things chocolatey smile
1.Ds loved the packet, asked if i got it from the farm - so excellent novelty factor
2.It was the white mousse eggs we tried, everyone loved the spoon idea but as a treat for kids and due to the sweetness these definately could be smaller.
3.Ds made me put in an eggcup to eat (ate as a dessert) as he dosn't like melty chocolate in his hand.
4. due to size/sweetness/novelty would eat as a dessert not a treat.
5.would recommend to friends. My dad bloody loves them.

1978andallthat Sun 17-Feb-13 18:35:08

I am not an official tester but bought two packs in shop. Special offer of two for one. Got one vanilla flavour and one chocolate.

I liked the concept best of all. Thought the boxes would be fab to keep for craft projects for dd. dd is 2. She loved the spoon and eating it with the spoon, possibly more than the actual eating it. She's insisted in keeping the spoon for other things.

Dh not convince by them. I liked them. To nick a malteaser catchphrase, felt lighter than ordinary chocolate. But I just ate it like a creme egg and didn't use the spoon. Nevertheless I think there should be four spoons per pack so you could split a pack between four people.

I would recommend trying them but overall prefer a Creme egg, though would enjoy eating that with a spoon.

ohforfoxsake Sun 17-Feb-13 20:20:55

I thought they were over packaged. Liked the idea and has a good novelty value, but a lot of cardboard.

Had the white mousse. Actually I liked it, two of the children quite liked it (one ate just the inside and couldn't face the chocolate) two didn't want to try it. Bit the top off, kids scooped it out. I just scoffed it and was better than I expected. I agree there should be four spoons, or they should be in packs of two.

ohforfoxsake Sun 17-Feb-13 20:26:00

It was all about the novelty value for my children. If we were buying egg-treats we'd probably pick Cream Eggs off the shelf. In fact, we still have one of these left, which kind of says it all really as I love chocolate.

Hmm, might just go and review that last one in the box actually....

Stropzilla Sun 17-Feb-13 21:31:23

I'm an official tester smile

I thought it was fairly over packaged, but at least recyclable. Only 2 spoons for 4 eggs seemed a bit odd!

Milk chocolate. DD loved the "bubbly bit"!

DD ate 1 egg in the egg cup I put it in for fun the proper way, biting the top off then spooning the rest out. The second got eaten like a creame egg, licking and sucking the middle out before scoffing the egg.

She thought it was a huge treat and in her words, favoritest chocolate ever. She thought having the small spoon was really special and the difference between the outer shell and inside was the best thing ever apparantly.

Yes for a treat. The packaging makes it a little special and like grown up eggs.

cather Sun 17-Feb-13 21:45:47

I wasn't part of the trial but we saw them in Tesco yesterday and my sons wanted to try them!

I liked the purple egg box, it was perfect packaging as it was the purple you associate with Cadbury's and a proper egg box! We liked the spoons but it would have been better with 4 as we all wanted to eat them at the same time and so the boys ended up eating theirs first and we waited for the spoons.

Which flavour did your children try? What did they think of the taste/texture/size etc?
I only saw one flavour at Tesco and it was milk chocolate with a milk chocolate mousse in a purple box. The boys, who are 7 and 11 loved them. I liked the taste but thought the shell was a bit soft. Next time I would put it in the fridge first.

How did your DC eat the egg? Did they find it fun to eat or not? Was there anything they particularly liked or disliked about it?
They both liked using the little spoon and thought it was a novel idea

Would you say your child found the Egg n Spoon more of a special treat compared to other chocolate they eat or not? If so why is this? If not, why not?
I think the spoon added to the fun and this made it different to other eggs

If it came up in conversation, would you recommend the Cadbury Egg n Spoon to a friend? If so why? If not why not?
I would recommend it to a friend

HannahLI Sun 17-Feb-13 21:47:08

We love the egg n spoon in our house. I gave my 2 year old both the white and milk version on different days, he loved the spoon and ate more with the spoon. He did find it all a bit much he one go and on the second time ate it in two goes. I personally prefer the white chocolate version as found the other one a bit too chocolatey but I am sure many would disagree with me.
I wouldn't say it was anymore of a treat than usual however my son was rather taken with the spoon!

Rhumba Sun 17-Feb-13 22:23:26

They( DS 9 and DD7) were very excited although I think part of this was the excitement of being a tester and partly the novelty of the wrapping/presentation. They felt it was different to anything else on the chocolate egg market.They thought there should have been four spoons but for an environmental point of view I was glad there weren't. We are still using the spoons and they love them

They tried milk chocolate. They likes the different choclate textures and the size. I thought it would have been better a bit smaller but they disagreed.I found it quite sickly but they didn't.

- How did your DC eat the egg? Did they find it fun to eat or not? Was there anything they particularly liked or disliked about it?Very fun to eat with lots of giggles. They loved the instructions and the whole way it was presented. They bit it off and then scooped out the chocolate mouse and then finally ate the chocolate with their hands. As they'd been in a warm kitchen I used the spoon to "crack" the egg and slice off the top which they also found funny.

- Would you say your child found the Egg n Spoon more of a special treat compared to other chocolate they eat or not? If so why is this? If not, why not?I think it felt much more of a treat due the the whole show and presentation and novelty of eating it in a different manner.

- If it came up in conversation, would you recommend the Cadbury Egg n Spoon to a friend? If so why? If not why not?Yes I would

Other than thatthe only other comments I would make is that no sure if I would buy for them again unless we had friends round as v chocholatey and felt very rich to be giving them. They thought the packaging should have been plainer to make more of the surprise element of opening it up but not sure this is a very good marketting stratagy!Also if I had an uneven no of kids I may not buy as one left over (but guess that would be mine)

I'm trying to convince then every time I go shopping that" They're not in the shops yet"but no sure how much longer I'll get away with it.

GoingGoingGoth Sun 17-Feb-13 23:06:45

Unofficial tester here, tried it as they were on offer in Morrisons for £2, not sure if I would pay any more than that

DD was very excited, had seen them in the shops, and was desperate to try them.

She loved that they came in an egg box, and the spoons are cute (have saved them, not sure what for grin )

Didn't know there were different flavours, we got a vanilla mousse. Size was nice.

Dd love that she could bite the top off, but didn't like the mousse. So DH ate that, she did like the chocolate.

Would probably say they are worth a try, personally I prefer a cream egg.

Skyebluesapphire Mon 18-Feb-13 00:40:11

Everyone who wasn't part of the official product test but who adds their feedback will be entered into a separate prize draw to win a £100 John Lewis voucher.

- What were your and your DC's first impressions of Cadbury Egg n Spoon? they look cute, the spoon is very cute, look a bit smaller than expected

- Which flavour did your children try? What did they think of the taste/texture/size etc? We tried milk chocolate mousse one, delivered by Tesco, so had no choice in what was delivered.

- How did your DC eat the egg? Did they find it fun to eat or not? Was there anything they particularly liked or disliked about it? My daughter aged 5 thought that the idea was fun, but was unsure how to tackle eating it to start with. loved the idea of digging the mousse out with the spoon

- Would you say your child found the Egg n Spoon more of a special treat compared to other chocolate they eat or not? If so why is this? If not, why not? It was different, I wouldnt say that it was a treat.

- If it came up in conversation, would you recommend the Cadbury Egg n Spoon to a friend? If so why? If not why not? I wouldn't recommend it for a couple of reasons. The first being the price. £3 for four tiny chocolate eggs is too expensive. I only bought them because they were half price. Second - the mousse was just a bit too sickly for me. My daughter thought the same, a bit yucky she said!

Sorry I'm late to this party, though we got the eggs days ago we only ate them yesterday as we've been out all week!
DD (aged 8) loved the egg box and its colour, we liked that it was recyclable (except the spoons). Why only two spoons? We had to take turns.
Given the Eco argument, could you put in 4 wooden spoons, like ice cream vans have?
Lovely flavour, great texture, nice size. DD ate hers slowly (over 15 minutesshock) and savoured every single bit. she had a surprising amount of chocolate around her mouth and nose when she'd finished, but had clearly had a great time eating it. I liked that the GDAs were for 5-10 year olds.
The shape of the eggs was a bit odd, I don't think it needed to be so angular and weird around the top.
DH commented that the mousse didn't fill the egg, all ours were filled only about 3/4 of the way up.
I would recommend the eggs, probably if they were on offer. It would be good to see bigger packs for events or youth clubs etc.

We got the milk chocolate flavour by the way.

misscph1973 Mon 18-Feb-13 10:40:28

Sorry for the delay, but we didn't have them till Sunday.

My kids were very intrigued by the packaging and the spoons, very appealing to them. They asked to keep the spoons and egg box for playing!

I am not sure what flavour they were? I think vanilla. My kids loved taking off the top and eating the inside with a spoon, which they said was fluffy and yummy. They liked the taste and the idea of the whole product.

Definitely a special treat because of the themed packaging, good for Easter.

Personally I liked the idea (but why only 2 spoons?) but not the chocolate, I prefer dark chocolate and I really don't like Cadbury's. I don't think I will buy it and I won't recommend it either. I prefer the Lindt bunnies!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now