This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you'd like test a product on Mumsnet please mail insight@mumsnet.com.

NOW CLOSED Cadbury Egg n Spoon tester feedback thread. Non-official testers welcome too - prizes for both to be won!

(129 Posts)
KatieBMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 12-Feb-13 15:24:41

This thread is for the 70 Mumsnetters who have been trying out the new Cadbury Egg n Spoon kid's Easter treat with their DCs. But we'd also like to hear from those of you who weren't part of the official MN product test but who have tried the Egg n Spoon chocolate treat.

Below are a few questions for you to answer but please feel free to add any other comments you may also have.

All 'official' testers who add their feedback to this thread will be entered into a prize draw where one winner will receive a £250 John Lewis voucher.

Everyone who wasn't part of the official product test but who adds their feedback will be entered into a separate prize draw to win a £100 John Lewis voucher.

- What were your and your DC's first impressions of Cadbury Egg n Spoon?

- Which flavour did your children try? What did they think of the taste/texture/size etc?

- How did your DC eat the egg? Did they find it fun to eat or not? Was there anything they particularly liked or disliked about it?

- Would you say your child found the Egg n Spoon more of a special treat compared to other chocolate they eat or not? If so why is this? If not, why not?

- If it came up in conversation, would you recommend the Cadbury Egg n Spoon to a friend? If so why? If not why not?

Thanks and good luck,

MNHQ

Piggychunk Wed 13-Feb-13 12:38:18

- Loved the look thought it was a fantastic idea to use real egg boxes. Loved the little spoons and the detail on the wrapped eggs

- We got the Milk chocolate eggs.. My 5 year thought the idea ws really funny and love scooping out the filling. He wanted a 2nd straight away but we wouldn't let him smile

- My son loved the idea of scopping out the middle the only problem was he didn't want the outside when done it had melted in his hand slightly and didn't want to eat it.

- Yes a special treat it is very different and unlike any other chocolate egg on the market

- Yes would recommend thought it is a really clever idea.

slalomsuki Wed 13-Feb-13 12:38:52

We received ours yesterday and bought some last weekend.

I liked the outside packaging in the great purple colour but was very disappointed with how the eggs looked when I opened it. I had the chocolate ones and they just looked a sludgey brown with no branding visible. The Cadburys logo was too low on the brown wrapper that t has sunk in to the box and it just looked like a cheap egg. One of the distinctive things about Cadburys is the purple despite the mellowing of it after the Kraft takeover but this didn't feel like a Cadbury product. The ones we bought were the vanilla ones and they did look better in the box.

I did like the two spoons but like others I would have liked a spoon for each egg as I have 3 kids. Two used the spoons and two of us just ate the eggs as you would with a creme egg.

For me they were a bit sweet and not really what I expected. I had to check with the kids if the strange moulding on the top of the egg was common with the other ones they had eaten as I wasn't sure if this was to be broken off with the spoon as you would with a boiled egg or bitten in to. Maybe I am over analysing it too much. My kids enjoyed eating the eggs but have said they preferred the vanilla ones rather than the plain chocolate ones.

I would buy them again as a teat but not n a regular basis. Whether I would discuss these with a friend would depend upon the overall conversation although my kids thought it was great I was getting chocolate to test as they know it's my favourite thing.

notforthefainthearted Wed 13-Feb-13 14:37:49

I'm an official tester and received the milk chocolate version through the post yesterday.

We all thought the packaging was quite sweet in the little egg box and with the little spoons. Daughter, aged 11, was very excited about trying them. But only two spoons for four eggs was already a problem as we tried one each (DD, DH and me), so needed three spoons really. Can't see the point of putting spoons in but then not putting enough in.

Don't know if it was intentional but the wrapping for the top part seemed to come off easier than the rest of the foil, which was handy for holding it without getting chocolatey fingers.

The filling was quite nice, not as sickly as creme eggs, but could be more moussey. My daughter thought it should be lighter but liked the taste. We then fantasised for a while over the different flavours you could have - chocolate mousse, strawberry mousse, mango, caramel ... My favourite easter egg of all time used to be the ones filled with caramel and marshmallow, made by the competitor I think, what a pity you can't get them anymore!

We thought the eggs were just the right size, the chocolate was just a bit soft and thin to hold once scooped.

We all ate the egg by biting off the top and then scooping out the filling. DD thought this was great fun, I probably couldn't be bothered with a spoon usually and would in future eat it like a creme egg, my husband said the same.

My DD enjoyed the egg and thought it quite novel, not a special treat really but she doesn't eat creme eggs usually as they are too sickly for her so the only time she gets easter eggs is actually on Easter Sunday and afterwards until they've all gone, so maybe a special treat in that respect.

I would recommend the Cadbury Egg N Spoon to friends as it's not as sickly as creme eggs and tastes great but would love to see different flavour fillings.

notforthefainthearted Wed 13-Feb-13 14:40:05

Sorry, should add I meant that the chocolate was milk chocolate but the filling was white mousse.

I wasn't part of the product test but bought some of these (milk chocolate) to try anyway and loved them!

They are a bit rich and you definitely couldn't eat more than one but I think they are my new guilty pleasure. I can't wait to try the white chocolate ones.

I'm also going to try some kept in the fridge. The last ones I had were left on the bench with the heating on and were a bit gooey. I think they may be better refrigerated slightly but I'll eat them either way grin

Not sure what the RRP is for these but I paid £2 for a box of 4. I wouldn't pay any more for them, I actually think £2 is quite expensive.

Gracelo Wed 13-Feb-13 16:28:18

Ours arrived yesterday and the children were very excited to try it. We all liked the packaging, dd (8) thought it was very cute and she liked the explanation on how to eat it and ds (5) also liked it a lot, mostly because it really looks just like an egg box. I don't think it's too much packaging compared to other Easter eggs which are often wrapped in several layers of plastic. dp already claimed the egg box to use it for chitting his potatoes and afterwards it will go on the compost.

- Which flavour did your children try? What did they think of the taste/texture/size etc?

We got the milky one. The children loved it, dp liked it and I thought it was too sweet. Dp and I put our eggs in the fridge before eating so ours were not as creamy as the children's. The spoons aren't quite up to scooping out the chilled filling and bent precariously. Dp would like the chocolate to be a little thicker. ds says he wishes there would be a caramel flavoured one.

- How did your DC eat the egg? Did they find it fun to eat or not? Was there anything they particularly liked or disliked about it?

The dc followed the instructions pretty much. I had to bite off the top of ds egg because he didn't quite manage that. They did think it was a lot of fun. We would have liked a spoon each. If we had more than 2 children there would have been a fight over who could have a spoon first.

- Would you say your child found the Egg n Spoon more of a special treat compared to other chocolate they eat or not? If so why is this? If not, why not?
Yes, I think they thought it was more special, mostly because of the packaging and the spoons.

- If it came up in conversation, would you recommend the Cadbury Egg n Spoon to a friend? If so why? If not why not?

Yes, I would recommend it to others, mostly because it makes a nice change to the usual Easter eggs.

teddies Wed 13-Feb-13 17:52:48

We got ours today. Initial impressions, we liked the purple egg box. No real indication of what flavour it was that I could see but on inspection they were choc filling. Agree there should be either four spoons or none, we shared ours with two friends and they all wanted a purple spoon. Dc is six and I would not think more than one of these should be eaten at a time as the mousse bit was very sickly. The outer foil came off easily but little fingers got very sticky holding the egg to scoop out the mousse. The chocolate did taste a bit more sickly than the usual Cadbury but I didn't get much of a look in. It isn't something I would buy, too sickly and sweet. Ok for an Easter promotion though. Would probably not recommend to a friend except to try once for the same reason - bit too sickly. All packaging recyclable though which is good. The spoons popular for playing with afterwards. I liked the novelty value of cracking the top off which was easy but the egg was too small to fit in a standard egg cup which I would have liked to do as it was rather sticky to eat without. Not something I would buy as an adult. Prefer ordinary Cadburys for me, or buttons for children.

DragonPaws Wed 13-Feb-13 18:37:19

We received ours yesterday and I gave one to my 6 year old DD and her friend after tea.

DD and friend – “Yummy!”. We all liked the packaging.

We had the chocolate mousse flavour. DD and friend loved the taste, but overall preferred the mousse to the chocolate outside. DD and friend thought it could have been a wee bit bigger. I preferred the chocolate to the mousse and couldn’t have eaten any more mousse than what was in the egg (although it was very tasty, it was quite rich!)

The girls wanted to break the top with the spoon but couldn’t manage it so had to bite into it. They loved using the spoons to eat the mousse, then munching the chocolate. They both really enjoyed it, loved the way it was so chocolaty and adored the mousse. They were totally silent for the 2 minutes it took them to eat them – always a good sign.

Yes, the girls viewed it as more of a treat, as there was lots of chocolate in it compared to a usual pudding.

Yes, as it was very tasty.

A couple of other points:
There should be the right amount of spoons for the number of eggs – I thought only two had been put in by mistake!
I think that they are good as a treat for Easter, perhaps wouldn’t buy them at other times of the year.

NorbertDentressangle Wed 13-Feb-13 18:45:40

How on earth did I miss this?!

My ability to sniff out anything chocolate related has obviously failed me sad

<off to raid the 'treats' cupboard>

lirael Wed 13-Feb-13 20:39:35

Ds's first impression was that the egg box was clever and that the packaging was good as it was the original Cadburys colours. DH thought that the foil crack at the top of the egg should be more obvious, though he was very proud of himself for noticing it! DS liked the contrast between the hard shell and the mousse though he would have liked more of a difference between the two (may have been my fault as I put them in the fridge blush. He thought the shell should be harder as it cracked when he was digging out the mousse (again, see above). He said he liked the spoon because it was unusual and made it more special but in the end it is 'just chocolate with mousse inside' so not really any more special than a creme egg. He said the taste was 'excellent' - the mousse was not too heavy and so not sickly (not as sickly as a creme egg). He thought it would be good for people who don't like creme eggs. DH and I both liked the eggs but found them a bit sickly. I would probably buy them as a novelty gift for youngish children at Easter.

lirael Wed 13-Feb-13 20:40:09

Oh forgot - we had the chocolate mousse flavour.

MariusEarlobe Thu 14-Feb-13 11:13:28

Unofficial tester.
We tried the chocolate mousse ones.

Dd loved the egg box packing as she can keep it and make something from it, she thought they were a bit on the small side greedy although I think a bigger size would have been too much.

She really liked the mousse which surprised me as she doesn't usually like that kind of texture, she loves the mini spoons and has kept those.

I thought the packaging was excessive although ok for Easter if they sell these year round I would like to see them packaged less but maybe that would spoil the feel for them.

I would buy them again.

stickylittlefingers Thu 14-Feb-13 11:15:11

The DDs loved the fact it looked like a real egg box. I was a bit dubious about so much packaging. Why only 2 spoons though? Surely 4 eggs need 4 spoons (or in fact need no spoons, if you're worried about the packaging!)

We had milk chocolate. They loved it, they said the mousse was yummy. They might disagree but I think the size was about right, wouldn't want it any bigger because it was so sugary, but any smaller would have made it tricky to eat with the spoon.

They used the spoons and did find it a novelty to eat it with the little spoons (which they wanted to keep). They did like the mousse in particular.

Yes I think they did - they wouldn't normally have such a rich chocolate sweet as that.

I think so, certainly it is quite convenient in comparison with a big chocolate egg - they tend to eat a bit of one and then it gets left around until I eventually cook with it. One advantage of the packaging might be to be able to use them for Easter Eggs hunts - one box per child and labelled! Though you'd have to make sure they didn't eat all four.

stickylittlefingers Thu 14-Feb-13 11:15:53

oh and thanks very much for picking us, the entire family were delighted (you didn't ask but DH really liked his too smile )

Love the idea love the look pity it doesn't taste like cadburys hmm

MmeLindor Thu 14-Feb-13 12:45:10

What were your and your DC's first impressions of Cadbury Egg n Spoon?

We liked the egg box packaging - I thought that the foil could be a bit brighter. It was a copperybrown which didn't seem very festive. It would be good if the foil were perforated so that the top bit tore off, leaving the bottom of the egg covered, so saving sticky fingers smearing chocolate all over the couch. There should be 4 spoons in the box

Which flavour did your children try? What did they think of the taste/texture/size etc?

We had milk chocolate. They liked the taste of both the egg and the mousse - They were not too sickly, even for someone who normally prefers Lindor dark chocolate to milk chocolate. I very rarely eat milk chocolate, but would buy these again. We had tried something similar in Germany last year from Milka and they were horrible, so we were pleasantly surprised that these were so good.

How did your DC eat the egg? Did they find it fun to eat or not? Was there anything they particularly liked or disliked about it?

They twisted the top off and used the spoon. They found it fun to eat.

Would you say your child found the Egg n Spoon more of a special treat compared to other chocolate they eat or not? If so why is this? If not, why not?

It was certainly more of a ceremony, with the twisting off the top and the digging in with a spoon, so I would say more of a special treat. If it came with 4 spoons then it would be good for taking on picnics for the whole family.

If it came up in conversation, would you recommend the Cadbury Egg n Spoon to a friend? If so why? If not why not?

Yes, as I found the packaging clever and the product tasty.

Not an official tester, but we've tested a couple of boxes (just to be sure).

We love the little egg box presentation and DD has adopted the empty boxes into her 'kitchen'.

I didn't realise there was more than one flavour. Is there?

We like the little spoons, but they seem a bit flimsy. They have a bit of novelty value, I suppose. We used them for the middle initially, but then resorted to just chomping away at the eggs.

The chocolate tastes a little different to usual, I thought. But maybe it's the filling that makes it taste different.

The middle is a little too sweet, but fairly pleasant. You couldn't eat a whole box to yourself very easily. We were disappointed not to find any yolk.

PuddingsAndPies Thu 14-Feb-13 13:04:36

We thought they were very cute, & originally bought them mostly because of the gimmicky look.

Is there more than one flavour?! I just had to google to check! We had the chocolate one. DS liked it, but DP & I thought they tasted a bit synthetic, which was a big disappointment.

We bit the tops off & scooped the middle out. DS thought it was really funny, & liked the little spoon.

The Egg n Spoon is definitely more of a special treat for DS. It is more of an 'occasion' to have the special spoon, etc, than just chomping on a normal chocolate bar.

I would recommend them as a treat for children, but not necessarily as an adult snack.

poachedeggs Thu 14-Feb-13 13:44:54

We tried this last week and although the DC were delighted DH and I were underwhelmed to be honest. I didn't know there were multiple varieties, the one we tried was ordinary milk chocolate.

The DCs loved the novelty value of eating it with a spoon. I thought the packaging was lovely but excessive. The chocolate was ok but the filling was sticky and sickly. It seemed expensive to me for what it was.

Fun for the DC but I think a Kinder Egg is more fun and much better value. Won't be buying it again I'm afraid.

WafflesandWhippedCream Thu 14-Feb-13 14:46:35

I thought the packaging was very attractive with the purple egg box. 4 eggs is a nice number as there are 4 people in our family, but would also make a good sized easter treat for one child - creme eggs come in six packs and I think that is too many. However our box only had 2 spoons in it, so we couldn't all try it together - I don't know if we had a duff box or if they are all like that.

We had a vanilla mousse flavour. Both DH and I thought it was very nice - DH said it was as good as a creme egg, which is high praise. DD didn't like the mousse part, so we had to scrape hers out, and she just ate the chocolate hmm

- How did your DC eat the egg? Did they find it fun to eat or not? Was there anything they particularly liked or disliked about it? As said above, DD didn't like the mousse part, but she was very enthusiastic about using the spoon. Personally I would rather eat it without the spoon, as I don't like having mouthfulls of just mousse without chocolate, but I suppose that rather destroys the USP!

- Would you say your child found the Egg n Spoon more of a special treat compared to other chocolate they eat or not? If so why is this? If not, why not? As said before she didn't actually like it, so though she was excited about the idea, it wasn't really a treat for her. But the idea is good.

- If it came up in conversation, would you recommend the Cadbury Egg n Spoon to a friend? If so why? If not why not? I would probably recommend they try it, just for the gimmick of it, but I probably wouldn't get them again myself.

CalamityKate Thu 14-Feb-13 15:04:01

First impressions - great fun! Attractive and different.

Not sure of flavour - vanilla? White chocolate? DS2 adored it. DS1 said it was "OK". I thought the filling and chocolate had a slightly greasy/oily mouthfeel. Although it tasted ok I'd prefer a slightly softer/lighter consistency to the mousse, more like a walnut whip. We all thought the size was just right.

How did we eat it - by biting the top off and using the spoon supplied.

Special treat - DS2 thought yes. DS1 and I thought not particularly. If it hadn't been greasy and the mousse was softer I'd have said yes. IMO you can't beat Cadburys choc!

I'd hesitate to recommend to other adults although I probably would for kids.

hermancakedestroyer Thu 14-Feb-13 16:31:37

There was much excitement when the postman delivered cadbury's chocolate to our house!The DCs thought the packaging looked good and couldn't wait to break into the eggbox.

My DCs tried the Egg 'n' spoon with the milky mousse centre. One DC said they thought it was a bit small. The other said 'it was perfect size'. They said the egg felt a bit greasy on contact.

They both chipped the tops off the eggs and were excited to find white fluffy mousse inside. They loved the concept of eating the egg with a tiny spoon and my youngest (7) said 'it was exciting'. They both thought the mousse was 'lovely' and 'tasty'.
My youngest thought the egg melted quite quickly whilst he was eating it. My eldest loved the flavour and the texture of the mousse.

They both thought that this was more of a special treat than other chocolate and was 'a bit different' whilst a bar of chocolate is a bit boring. They thought that it was a different way to eat chocolate and still enjoy it.

- If it came up in conversation, would you recommend the Cadbury Egg n Spoon to a friend? If so why? If not why not? They would both definately recommend this flavour of egg 'n' spoon to friends because it has two types of chocolate in it (the outer chocolate shell and the chocolate mousse) which makes it a very tasty combination. My eldest would recommend it to friends because she says 'they would enjoy it as well'.
They tried the chocolate mousse eggs unofficially as well before my official milky eggs had arrived in the post. I asked them which they preferred and they both said 'definately the milky mousse centre'.

My only gripe is, as others have also written, only 2 plastic spoons. If I were to buy this for our family of four it would be better to have 2 extra spoons in it. We will certainly be buying these again. Thanks for asking us to try them! grin

HecateWhoopass Thu 14-Feb-13 17:18:45

We all thought it looked fun. Although I thought it was an unnecessary amount of packaging, tbh.

The choc one. They loved it. - I hated it. too sickly and a bit grainy. Not good quality at all, imo.

my eldest used the spoon. my youngest shoved in it in one! It's chocolate so they loved it!

They liked the spoon idea. It made it seem different from other chocolate. In fact, they've kept the tiny spoons to eat proper boiled eggs with!

I don't know. I'd probably just tell them that the kids loved it and it's fun but not to bother for themselves if it's a choc fix they're after because it really doesn't taste that great.

whattodoo Thu 14-Feb-13 17:36:37

We weren't 'proper' testers, but in the name of research thought we'd better give them a go.

Packaging was very enticing and the dinky spoons went down very well . have been saved for tea party use.

We had the milk choc variety, loved the taste and texture.

She bit the top off the egg, then spooned out the mousse, then attacked it with her tongue before devouring the egg shell.

She loved it as an extra special treat.

Would recommend as a special treat/easter gift but not an every day snack.

Jojobump1986 Thu 14-Feb-13 19:49:50

DH & I tried them.

First impressions: The packaging was quite fun & I loved the little spoons.

We tried the milk chocolate ones - I didn't know there were others. Neither of us were overwhelmed by them. I found the concept of warm mousse a bit strange & it was gritty in texture, rather than the smooth mousse I had expected. DH refrigerated his & said the mousse was like a truffle. They were quite sickly.

Eating the egg was quite fun - definitely a novel experience for us.

Creme eggs are nicer. I might be tempted to try them again if there was a creme egg version!

No, I wouldn't recommend it. For me the weird warm, gritty mousse really spoilt what was an interesting concept. I say this as a big Cadbury's fan in general.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now