This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you'd like test a product on Mumsnet please mail insight@mumsnet.com.

Kelo-cote silicone c-section gel, tester review thread - Final feedback. NOW CLOSED

(639 Posts)
TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 04-Jan-13 10:09:35

This thread is for the 250 Mumsnetters who are trying out the new silicone c-section gel from Kelo-cote.

Below are the first set of feedback questions, more will be added at a later date. Please answer the questions below and add any other comments you may have.

Everyone who adds their feedback to this thread will be entered into a prize draw where one winner will receive a £200 John Lewis voucher.

Q1 How easy or difficult did you find Kelo-cote to apply?

Q2. On average how long did you find it took Kelo-cote to dry? Was this a longer or shorter time than you expected?

Q3. How did you find the feel of the gel? e.g. texture, stickiness etc

Q4. Before taking part in this product test, had you ever tried Kelo-cote or any other scar reducing product before? If so, which one(s)?

The next set of feedback questions will be added around the first week of February.

Thanks,
MNHQ

katybassett Tue 22-Jan-13 21:21:53

1: it was very easy to apply

2: 3-4 mins longer than i expected

3: still tacky after 5 mins and stuck to clothes

4: have used Bio Oil in the past but noticed no difference

Procrastinating Tue 22-Jan-13 22:15:48

Q1 Very easy.

Q2. It took longer than expected, but that is fine, it is an excuse to lie down.

Q3. Not unpleasant, a bit sticky.

Q4. Never tried anything before.

Ninileigh Wed 23-Jan-13 09:43:22

1. Very easy to apply.
2. it took about 2-3 minutes to dry, as i expected from it's consistency.
3. It felt a bit sticky, but felt very solid, a good consistency. Fine when it dried.
4. No, never used before, have previously used palmers coco butter scar thing, but didn't think it particularly did anything.

BetteDavis01 Wed 23-Jan-13 11:45:03

Q1. very easy to apply
Q2. A couple of minutes
Q3. A bit sticky but not a problem
Q4. No never tried anything before

SquashedPea Sat 26-Jan-13 22:35:31

Q1 How easy or difficult did you find Kelo-cote to apply?

Very easy. Has quite a viscous consistency and applies very smoothly.

Q2. On average how long did you find it took Kelo-cote to dry? Was this a longer or shorter time than you expected?

A couple of minutes. About what i would expect.

Q3. How did you find the feel of the gel? e.g. texture, stickiness etc

Pleasant texture. Slightly sticky but this help with the application and stops it dripping.

Q4. Before taking part in this product test, had you ever tried Kelo-cote or any other scar reducing product before? If so, which one(s)?

Have previously used Bio Oil but I don't feel this made any real difference to the appearance.

franklinxxx Sun 27-Jan-13 22:15:53

1) Very easy
2) 3-4 mins to be completely dry, about what I expected but a bit too long!
3) A bit sticky until completey dry
4)No I have never used anything before

strathanna Wed 30-Jan-13 14:28:26

Q1 Very easy, only used tiny amount

2 - shorter than average

3 - didn't mind it actually, sticky better than greasy.

Q4. Bio oil

Bearfrills Tue 05-Feb-13 15:19:22

Sorry I'm so late with my feedback!

How easy or difficult did you find Kelo-cote to apply?
Fairly easy, I found it easier to put some on my finger and do a couple of dabs along my scar then sort of join/spread them together rather than one long spread (if that makes sense?). With one long spread I seemed to run out by the end and would have one end relatively thickly spread with the other very thinly spread/almost bare.

On average how long did you find it took Kelo-cote to dry? Was this a longer or shorter time than you expected?
It was about what I expected although a bit of a faff on a morning when every minute counts (I should probably get up earlier ... )

How did you find the feel of the gel? e.g. texture, stickiness etc
I know it has to be thick to work to make that coating that it gives but personally I didn't like it. I had to wash my hands after applying it and I was aware of it on my skin. For all it dried and wasn't tacky one dried I was aware of it and found it irritating/annoying - know when you get glue on your finger and it dries? Like that. Sorry sad I feel awful for not liking it when you were good enough to let me test it. Thank you anyway.

Before taking part in this product test, had you ever tried Kelo-cote or any other scar reducing product before? If so, which one(s)?
I hadn't used any. I used Palmers Cocoa Butter when pregnant to try and reduce stretchmarks but nothing after pregnancy and nothing specifically aimed at scar reduction.

KatieBMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 06-Feb-13 11:18:02

Thanks for all your feedback so far. Here's the second set of feedback questions:

1. Have you noticed any improvement in your scar since using Kelo-cote at all, if so in what way?
2. Have you found using Kelo-cote easy or difficult to incorporate into your daily routine?
3. Approximately how much product do you have left (1/3rd tube / 1/2 tube etc)?

Everyone who adds all feedback as required will be entered into a prize draw where one winner will receive a £200 John Lewis voucher!

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw.

Also Kelo-cote have asked for this message to be posted:

"We've noticed a couple of Mumsnetters mentioning the gel taking too long to dry. If you'd like to speed up the drying process you can use a hair dryer on the cool setting to help the gel dry more quickly."

tiggerbounce77 Wed 06-Feb-13 11:42:55

Q1 How easy or difficult did you find Kelo-cote to apply? I found ot very easy to apply

Q2. On average how long did you find it took Kelo-cote to dry? Was this a longer or shorter time than you expected? Drying time was ok thought the time was about right

Q3. How did you find the feel of the gel? e.g. texture, stickiness etc I found it to be quite thick and a little sticky

Had never used anything like this before

worm77daisy Wed 06-Feb-13 11:43:10

1. It has become less red and is not as itchy.
2. Only takes a few seconds, squirt, pat, take contraceptive pill, pull on pants!
3. About 1/4.

mummyofcutetwo Wed 06-Feb-13 11:44:03

1. Have you noticed any improvement in your scar since using Kelo-cote at all, if so in what way?
Yes, it does seem to have smoothed it out.

2. Have you found using Kelo-cote easy or difficult to incorporate into your daily routine?
Difficult as I don't seem to have enough hours in the day!

I've just realised there's not much left and I'm starting to wonder if I've been using too much...

goldenretriever Wed 06-Feb-13 11:46:57

1. It feels slightly smoother and the colour has blended in a bit.
2. Easy, take it with my tablets on a morning and try to remember to do it later on.
3. About half.

youmaycallmeSSP Wed 06-Feb-13 11:48:25

1. It is looking a lot paler than it was and is noticeably paler in comparison with the other scars from surgical cuts made at the same time. The middle bit is looking better than the outer edges.

2. It started out as a bit of a faff - having a newborn baby and a toddler to get out of the house on time every morning doesn't give me much chance to let the gel air-dry - but I started applying it after showering and testing it dry while I brushed my teeth and now it slots in just fine. The evenings are a bit harder but again, pairing applying the gel with brushing my teeth helps me to remember to do it and to give the gel enough time to dry.

3. At a guess I've got about 1/3 left.

LishK Wed 06-Feb-13 11:49:13

Scar seems a lot lighter than before and pulls less. Definite improvement.

Easy as do it same time as I brush my teeth (only way I remember to do it)

I have hardly any left, had to ask for a second tube. But my scar is quite long. I do wonder if I've used too much. It is like a magic tube though, seems to have a lot in it.

badgerfish Wed 06-Feb-13 11:49:25

1. Yes, it's a lot less red and is much smoother
2. Very easy. It only takes a couple of seconds.
3. A little under half a tube left.

elizadofuckall Wed 06-Feb-13 11:50:55

1. Yes! On some parts of the scar, the redness has gone completely and it actually looks a lot older than 10 months old!!!

2.I have found the process very simple. Its just part of my routine now.

3.I would say that i have about 1/4 tube left.

I Love it!

mousebacon Wed 06-Feb-13 11:53:28

1. Yes, my scar (from 2 sections) is smoother and has faded nicely. The redness is much reduced.

2. Very easy, it's something I apply after my morning shower now.

3. About 1/3 of the tube.

Snorkmaiden75 Wed 06-Feb-13 11:56:19

Sensitivity has reduced, colour much less red and raised bumpy areas have flattened. Very impressed with the effectiveness of the product.

It's very tricky to incorporate into the morning routine as it takes too long to dry really and I don't fancy making the kids' sandwiches in the buff... Evening routine wise it's fine for me.

About 3/4 tube but that's due to me getting a replacement after my DD's found the original one and squeezed quite a lot of it out in the bedroom shock

Enjoying this product trial though, if you can work on the formulation for quicker drying time it will be perfect!

UntamedShrew Wed 06-Feb-13 11:57:54

It is paler and flatter. I am still not 100% happy with my scar but it is so much better that I now have hope!

Mornings easy, evenings I often forget.

I've hardly any left I think but it's hard to know for sure how much is left.

kentDee Wed 06-Feb-13 12:01:15

1. The colour is the biggest change to mine. Less red and angry looking so really pleased especially as I was carrying 3!
2.really easy to apply after shower. Part of daily routine.
3. I have about half left.

SquashedPea Wed 06-Feb-13 12:30:10

Scar feels smoother as the lumps and bumps se to have flattened out. It is less red in appearance. Definitely an improvement but impossible to say whether this is due to time, daily massage of the scar or the gel. I am pleased with the improved appearance though.

Really easy (and I have a newborn and toddler to contend with!). Doesn't take long to dry. I just have my knickers folded down for a bit!

About a third. A little goes a long way.

aerynsun Wed 06-Feb-13 12:41:36

1) yes, no flare ups at all, and it's definitely less raised
2) pretty easy, I keep it next to my bed and apply it last thing at night (it was just getting in the habit in the first place)
3) about a third

shoeprincess2 Wed 06-Feb-13 12:47:38

1. Scar is somewhat smoother and does not itch as much as it did previously
2. Relatively easy to fit into my routine. The hairdryer tip is brilliant as i often can't wait around for 5 minutes for it to dry
3. About a third of my tube is left

Mimisrevenge Wed 06-Feb-13 13:05:21

1. Yes I think the scar is much less red. It's sort of pinky brown which is close to the colour of a birth mark I have. It's also less bumpy.

2. I will try the hair dryer tip, with a toddler and a newborn I can't hang about and sometimes it's not dry before I have to get on.

3. I have less than a third left and its unlikely to last to the end of the trial. I think this is because my scar is very long and wonky, due to having an 11lb and then a 9lb baby pulled out of it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now