This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you'd like test a product on Mumsnet please mail insight@mumsnet.com.

Kelo-cote silicone c-section gel, tester review thread - Final feedback. NOW CLOSED

(639 Posts)
TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 04-Jan-13 10:09:35

This thread is for the 250 Mumsnetters who are trying out the new silicone c-section gel from Kelo-cote.

Below are the first set of feedback questions, more will be added at a later date. Please answer the questions below and add any other comments you may have.

Everyone who adds their feedback to this thread will be entered into a prize draw where one winner will receive a £200 John Lewis voucher.

Q1 How easy or difficult did you find Kelo-cote to apply?

Q2. On average how long did you find it took Kelo-cote to dry? Was this a longer or shorter time than you expected?

Q3. How did you find the feel of the gel? e.g. texture, stickiness etc

Q4. Before taking part in this product test, had you ever tried Kelo-cote or any other scar reducing product before? If so, which one(s)?

The next set of feedback questions will be added around the first week of February.

Thanks,
MNHQ

DancesWithTheEasterBunny Tue 02-Apr-13 14:30:56

- Overall, how satisfied or dissatisfied were you with the results of the gel?

I struggled to fit it into my lifestyle as I found it too longer than I was willing to give it to dry and so seldom remembered to put it on. I can't fairly comment. Sorry.

- What (if anything) was the most noticeable result?

See above

- Which three words would you use to describe Kelo-cote silicone gel?

clear, sticky, odourless

- The recommended retail price for Kelo-cote is £29.99. Would you be prepared to pay this amount for 3 month’s supply (equivalent to less than £10 per month)?

Yes, if I understood you need 5 minutes lying on your back for it to dry

- If it were to come up in conversation, would you recommend Kelo-cote silicone gel to friends and family? If yes, why? If not, why not?

Yes - keloids are very unpleasant, anything to help.

justtired Thu 04-Apr-13 08:14:15

1. yes my scar seems smoother and less noticeable.

2. I have about 1/4 of a tube left, I have forgotten some days when ive been busy but generally I have found it easy to fit in to my routine.

Piemother Fri 05-Apr-13 15:21:30

1. V easy to apply with the thin nozzle.
2. Takes too long to dry if you are a busy mum!
3. It is sticky but I wouldn't kind if it dried more quickly.
4. I have never used a scar product before.

amz12 Sun 07-Apr-13 23:31:56

Q1 Found it very easy to apply Kelo-cote.

Q2. It took arounf 6-7 mins to dry, more time than I expected really.

Q3. The gel feels fine, just a bit sticky but not really a problem.

Q4. No.

1- slightly satisfied
2- slightly paler
3- smoothing, sealing, expensive
4- no, my scar is quite keloid which hasn't improved and all scar redness fades in time anyway
5- no wouldn't recommend for the reasons above.

KatieBMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 09-Apr-13 15:25:15

Hi all thank you for all your feedback so far. Kelo-Cote have asked for this comment to be posted in response to Vagazzled's question re using Kelo-Cote on children's scars:

"Kelocote is safe to be used on children and would likely help in Vagazzled's scenario as the clinical data has shown that Kelocote smoothes, softens and flattens scars as well as reduces redness, itching and discomfort."

sfancy Tue 09-Apr-13 17:44:12

Q1 How easy or difficult did you find Kelo-cote to apply? it was very easy and has now become a routine to apply.

Q2. On average how long did you find it took Kelo-cote to dry? Was this a longer or shorter time than you expected? it took a bit longer than expected.

Q3. How did you find the feel of the gel? e.g. texture, stickiness etc-it's a bit sticky but nothing troublesome

Q4. Before taking part in this product test, had you ever tried Kelo-cote or any other scar reducing product before? If so, which one(s)? no

justtired Thu 11-Apr-13 21:29:54

1. Have you noticed any improvement in your scar since using Kelo-cote at all, if so in what way?
Yes it seems smoother and I haven't noticed it itching as much.

2. Have you found using Kelo-cote easy or difficult to incorporate into your daily routine?
I applied after a bath/shower so found it quite easy to incorporate.

3. Approximately how much product do you have left (1/3rd tube / 1/2 tube etc)?
Only a little (but I am late replying)

4. Overall, how satisfied or dissatisfied were you with the results of the gel?
I am quite satisfied with the results I have seen.

5. What (if anything) was the most noticeable result?
The scar is less noticeable

6.Which three words would you use to describe Kelo-cote silicone gel?
Gel, Sticky, Easy

7.The recommended retail price for Kelo-cote is £29.99. Would you be prepared to pay this amount for 3 month’s supply (equivalent to less than £10 per month)?
I think if the scar was in a more noticeable place and bothered me more I would.

8. If it were to come up in conversation, would you recommend Kelo-cote silicone gel to friends and family? If yes, why? If not, why not?
Yes, I think it has had enough of a positive effect on me for me to recommend it to someone else to try, but I would mention the cost.

Julie0903 Sat 13-Apr-13 11:57:26

1) Yes middle part almost fully faded and flat, but keloid areas at end of scar still raised and not faded fully.
2) Easy, majority of the time, but had to skip on a couple of occasions when in a rush, as didn't have time to let the gel dry.
3) 1/3
4) Mixed. Very pleased with results in non keloid areas, but expected bit more of an effect on keloid skin.
5) The scar is less itchy.
6) Handy, sticky, discreet.
7) Would probably be put off by price, may be useful to do a trial size at a lesser price. Maybe a month for £10. As noticed improvements after a few weeks and then would probably have invested in tube at full price.
8) Yes, I would recommend & already have.

Chocchip88 Mon 15-Apr-13 14:13:18

Apologies for the delay in responding.

Q1- very easy to apply. Just put on your finger and spread sling your scar.
Q2- it took longer to dry than expected. About 10 mins.
Q3- it was stickier than I thought it would be. The stickiness didnt bother me.
Q4- I had used Bio-Oil before

Ninileigh Mon 15-Apr-13 17:40:01

1. Definitely doesn't itch as much,, and seems much smoother.
2. Easy to incorporate, straight on after bath or shower.
3. only have a little left.
4. Overall, very satisfied, really like the way it has eased the itchiness of the scar.
5. Less itchy, less noticeable, it generally feels improved.
6. Easy, soothing, healing.
7. it seems very expensive, i would buy something for half that price for a smaller amount, but 29.99 would put me off hugely if truth be told, especially with all the other expense after just having a baby!
8. I would definitely recommend as i had a positive experience with it.

CarpeJugulum Tue 16-Apr-13 13:38:55

First set of questions

Very easy; squeeze tube onto finger and rub in where required.

Q2. On average how long did you find it took Kelo-cote to dry? Was this a longer or shorter time than you expected?
Took longer than I expected for it to dry - roughly about 3-5 minutes; occasionally more if my skin was warm.

Gel felt fine; maybe a little sticky when you first apply it, but all fine once it was dry.

Q4. Before taking part in this product test, had you ever tried Kelo-cote or any other scar reducing product before? If so, which one(s)?
I had tried Bio-Oil and Palmers Cocoa Butter - both moisturised, but didn't reduce any scarring other than the reduction I would have expected with time.

Second set of questions

1. Have you noticed any improvement in your scar since using Kelo-cote at all, if so in what way?
Yes, my scar is not as red and visible, and the itching appears to have stopped.

2. Have you found using Kelo-cote easy or difficult to incorporate into your daily routine?
Very simple to incorporate, it sits in the bathroom and I apply it once I'm dry. The gel then has time to absorb before I dress.

Probably less that I should as I've also been applying it to scars left from keyhole surgery to reduce their appearance (which it has and which I am very happy about!)

Final set of questions

Fairly satisfied, my scar is definitely less red, and the itching has stopped (and my other scars are also less red and visible).

My scar losing the itchiness!

Simple, effective, transforming

- The recommended retail price for Kelo-cote is £29.99. Would you be prepared to pay this amount for 3 month’s supply (equivalent to less than £10 per month)?
It would depend on the scarring and the location. Probably not for my c-section scar, but definitely for scarring in an obvious location such as face/arm.

- If it were to come up in conversation, would you recommend Kelo-cote silicone gel to friends and family? If yes, why? If not, why not?
Yes I probably would, because it does work, but I would have to point out that it is not a cheap option.

WhatKatyDidnt Tue 16-Apr-13 13:44:32

Q1. How easy or difficult did you find Kelo-cote to apply?
Very easy

Slightly longer, but it's fine once you get used to it

It's a bit sticky, but don't mind at all as I like the results the product gives

No

Ranthambore Fri 19-Apr-13 16:11:14

Bit late in submitting my feedback, sorry.

First feedback
- Very easy

- About five minutes. Possibly a little longer than expected but about the time it takes to clean my teeth so it doesn't delay me.

- Quite sticky but fine once it has dried

- No, none.

dressMe Sat 20-Apr-13 07:00:49

1. Have you noticed any improvement in your scar since using Kelo-cote at all, if so in what way? Yes - Scar seems less red and 'angry'.
2. Have you found using Kelo-cote easy or difficult to incorporate into your daily routine? No. It just becomes part of my day.
3. Approximately how much product do you have left (1/3rd tube / 1/2 tube etc)? Around 1/3.

dressMe Sat 20-Apr-13 07:04:28

- What (if anything) was the most noticeable result? - Less redness and soreness.

- Which three words would you use to describe Kelo-cote silicone gel? Effective, helpful, easy.

- The recommended retail price for Kelo-cote is £29.99. Would you be prepared to pay this amount for 3 month’s supply (equivalent to less than £10 per month)? Yes - I found it really effective.

- If it were to come up in conversation, would you recommend Kelo-cote silicone gel to friends and family? If yes, why? If not, why not? Yes - I believe it has made a big difference to my scar, and would happily recommend it.

Ranthambore Sat 20-Apr-13 16:32:14

Second Feedback

- Yes, much less redness and the scar is completely flat now

- Once I got into the habit it was easy to incorporate. I put it on after my shower and clean my teeth while it dries.

- About 1/2 a tube

Final Feedback

Pretty satisfied especially with the reduction in itchyness

Much less itchy and a lot less red

Simple, effective, sticky

Yes

Yes because i feel it has made my scar a lot less visible and a lot more comfortable

WhatKatyDidnt Tue 23-Apr-13 10:01:03

Yes, it is lighter in colour

It is pretty easy, but in the morning I often think I don't have time for it to dry.

About half - have not used it every day though

Nervousfirsttimer Tue 23-Apr-13 10:13:53

Second set feedback:
1) I have noticed a significant improvement, scar Is less raised, less red and less itchy
2) it's very easy to incorporate into my routine, it put it on first then do the rest of my moisturiser etc
3) I have just Over 1/3 of a tube left

Donnadoon Tue 23-Apr-13 12:44:27

Second lot of feedback
Q1 Scar is now pale purple and smooth
Q2 applied every morning and evening after brushing my teeth
Q3 I have now run out of kelecote sad

MikeOxard Tue 23-Apr-13 13:21:26

Yes, it looks less red, and feels less itchy.

Difficult, I often forget to apply it. I don't have a structured routine and do everything at different times so to be fair, I don't really have a 'routine' to incorporate it into!

Maybe half a tube, or a bit less. If I'd been applying it religiously every day, I definitely would have run out by now.

projectbabyweight Tue 23-Apr-13 15:21:52

This is my second month.

1. Yes the scar is fading, now a pale pink 5 months after c-section. (it wasn't raised or itchy to start with so can't comment on that)

2. Easy to fit into routine.

3. Not sure how much is left, over half I think.

GirlOutNumbered Tue 23-Apr-13 19:24:47

It's less Red, but it was never really a nasty looking scar.

Difficult. I shouldn't do, but I forget to put it on. I'm just too hectic.
Difficult to tell, maybe half?

DoIgetastickerforthat Wed 24-Apr-13 10:32:48

1) Once I managed to get into the tube (intelligence fail) it was easy to apply.
2) it's not quick to dry but doesn't take an inordinate time to dry I found that I just need to get on with hair/teethbrushing etc and by the time I'm done, it's dry.
3) I bit sticky but not in an off putting way.
4) No.

DoIgetastickerforthat Wed 24-Apr-13 14:58:31

5) My new scar has changed colour from red to purple and my older scars are less raised.

6) Initially hard to remember but once I got into the habit it was easy enough to incorporate into my (for want of a better word) routine.

7) Between 1/4 and a 1/3, hard to tell but it does last well for a little tube.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now