This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you'd like test a product on Mumsnet please mail insight@mumsnet.com.

Kelo-cote silicone c-section gel, tester review thread - Final feedback. NOW CLOSED

(639 Posts)
TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 04-Jan-13 10:09:35

This thread is for the 250 Mumsnetters who are trying out the new silicone c-section gel from Kelo-cote.

Below are the first set of feedback questions, more will be added at a later date. Please answer the questions below and add any other comments you may have.

Everyone who adds their feedback to this thread will be entered into a prize draw where one winner will receive a £200 John Lewis voucher.

Q1 How easy or difficult did you find Kelo-cote to apply?

Q2. On average how long did you find it took Kelo-cote to dry? Was this a longer or shorter time than you expected?

Q3. How did you find the feel of the gel? e.g. texture, stickiness etc

Q4. Before taking part in this product test, had you ever tried Kelo-cote or any other scar reducing product before? If so, which one(s)?

The next set of feedback questions will be added around the first week of February.

Thanks,
MNHQ

Donnah77 Mon 25-Mar-13 17:53:21

- Fairly satisfied
- the colour of my scar has faded slightly
- easy, silky, quick
- the price seems a bit steep
- I would recommend it as it faded my scar

Pheebs1980 Mon 25-Mar-13 18:20:31

Overall, how satisfied or dissatisfied were you with the results of the gel?
My scar has become less red but i am not sure whether it is due to Kelo-cote as have not used it as regularly as i should have done so i am neither satisfied or dissatisfied.

- What (if anything) was the most noticeable result?
Less prominent scar at one end.

- Which three words would you use to describe Kelo-cote silicone gel?
sticky, clear and tough

- The recommended retail price for Kelo-cote is £29.99. Would you be prepared to pay this amount for 3 month’s supply (equivalent to less than £10 per month)?
No

- If it were to come up in conversation, would you recommend Kelo-cote silicone gel to friends and family? If yes, why? If not, why not?
Probably not as I prefer the feel of Bio oil

WhatEverItIsIDidntDoIt Mon 25-Mar-13 20:50:21

- Overall, how satisfied or dissatisfied were you with the results of the gel?
I am very satisfied, my original concern was less about its appearence but more about the itching/discomfort. I do not suffer with either since starting to you kelocote.

The colour has changed dramatically, it is now almost silver. Both edges of the scar are significantly less visible.

(a)Product that works!

- The recommended retail price for Kelo-cote is £29.99. Would you be prepared to pay this amount for 3 month’s supply (equivalent to less than £10 per month)?
I would not pay that much even though I know it works, it seems an extortionate amount for such a small tube!

- If it were to come up in conversation, would you recommend Kelo-cote silicone gel to friends and family? If yes, why? If not, why not?
I already have told many people about this product and would 100% sing your praises to anyone that will listen <grin>

Vagazzled Tue 26-Mar-13 17:53:20

Very easy to apply, squeeze to finger, swipe to scar grin

Q2. On average how long did you find it took Kelo-cote to dry? Was this a longer or shorter time than you expected?
It was tacky for a minute or 2 but soon dried. Dried faster when I learnt to apply a thinner layer!
Q3. How did you find the feel of the gel?
I found it quite cooling (may be the weather grin )
Has considerably smoothed out the lumps/bumps (is this even possible?) of my scar, it also feels a lot smoother and softer.

Q4. Before taking part in this product test, had you ever tried Kelo-cote or any other scar reducing product before?
No, no products at all.

Question for Kelo-cote. My dd(4) had extensive scarring to her hands and feet and as she's growing I'm aiming to keep her skin as soft and supple as possible. All the doctors will provide is aqueous cream, do you think this gel would be ok to use on young skin?

MimmeeBack Tue 26-Mar-13 20:26:42

First set of Qs..feel very late. Have been using for around a month so will answer second set shortly.

Very easy to applyugh I rarelystrugge to remember to use it twice a
day.

A couple of minutes, depending how much I used. No longer than expected.

Quite a nice texture. Didn't feel sticky or greasy, rather velvety in fact.

Q4. Before taking part in this product test, had you ever tried Kelo-cote or any other scar reducing product before? If so, which one(s)? Not to my recollection.dge.Thk questions w

Makinglists Tue 26-Mar-13 20:43:16

Thought it was good - certainly improved the look/feel of my scar and I achieved better results than with bio oil.

Less red and less lumpy

simple,clean,results

Only if my scar was causing discomfort or if I felt it was cosmetically an issue for me.

I would if they had a scar that really caused them distress (either because it was raised or was an issue because of the way it looked)

themachinist Tue 26-Mar-13 21:27:26

Satisfied, on a 1 -10, i would say 7.5.

Def flatter and less raw looking.

Sticky, silky, see-through stuff!

At the moment no as I am very skint, but yes if I wasnt. Maybe £19.99 would look less scarey.

Yes if they had a keloid scar, i will keep on using it for a few months if i can as will be interested in how much more improvement i can get - its still keloid, but just less so!

lyndseyh78 Wed 27-Mar-13 13:21:40

Very satisfied

My scar is much less noticeable and less red

Smooth, sticky, soothing

Yes if it works why not

I have recommend this to people at my baby group who have had c-sections

Pommes Wed 27-Mar-13 13:25:06

Very satisfied. My scar is certainly smoother.

What (if anything) was the most noticeable result?

My scar is far less irritated and much smoother.

Which three words would you use to describe Kelo-cote silicone gel?

Would.certainly.recommend!

The recommended retail price for Kelo-cote is £29.99. Would you be prepared to pay this amount for 3 month’s supply (equivalent to less than £10 per month)?

If I had the same difficulties/infections with another C-section scar, yes.

helibee Wed 27-Mar-13 13:43:14

I was fairly satisfied with the results, my scar is definitely less bumpy.

-* What (if anything) was the most noticeable result?*
My scar is smoother and less bumpy

Simple, sticky, effective

It is quite expensive and but if I was really self conscious about my scar of it was really itchy then I would pay that.

If asked I would recommend it but feel its maybe priced a wee bit high to be singing its praises from the rooftops

BetteDavis01 Wed 27-Mar-13 13:49:00

1. Fairly satisified, scar less bumpy and red

2. Scar less red

3. Sticky, easy, result

4. I dont think i could afford it.

5. Yes I would recommend it, but I think it is quite expensive.

ariane5 Wed 27-Mar-13 13:53:48

Overall I was very satisfied with the gel, I didn't think it would make much difference but it has !

The most noticeable reault is how smooth my scars now are, they are barely visible since using this product and the skin feels very soft-not raised at all like it was before.

3 words to describe gel: effective,calming, soothing

I would pay the rec price as it has really made a diff to my scars

I would recommend this product as it as worked very well in a relatively short space of time.

essexmumma Wed 27-Mar-13 15:41:30

- overall I am pleased with the result. I am actually surprised it has worked as much as it has.

- the most noticeable part has definitely the reduction in the bumpiness of the scar and also the colour.

- my 3 words are: improving, surprising, lovely texture

- that does seem a lot for a cream however when you consider that £10 per month it doesn't seem as bad. Having tried it,it doesn't seem like much at all but for new users it might.

- yes I would defiantely recommend this to anyone who asked.

CrispsCrispsCrisps Wed 27-Mar-13 15:49:41

1. Quite easy once I worked out how much to use

2. It took a few minutes but would have been better if it took less time to dry.

3. I found it to be a bit too sticky.

4. I have used Bio oil but not on my csection scar

Loopyhasanotherbean Wed 27-Mar-13 20:09:55

1, fairly satisfied

2. Scars not as red/itchy as they were before

3. Sticky, fiddly, works

4. No, I would never be able to justify spending that much on something for me that isn't a necessity.

5. I would happily give a positive recommendation but as to whether they thought it would be worth the cost I would leave to them to decide

iclaudius Wed 27-Mar-13 21:05:02

Unsure as i have never had a section before. I do not feel that the scar has faded as much as i might have hoped but am unsure what my expectations were. Would like to try it on a subsequent section

I am not sure there is one

Sticky film clear

I would have had to have heard great things about it to pay so much...i do pay that for clarins stretch mark oil based on recommendations ...

I am not sure. I am not yet convinced that it changed much

lebkucken Thu 28-Mar-13 06:30:24

I'm a new tester.
Fairly easy, though it's hard to use the tiny amount you're supposed to use and not rub it in.

A couple of minutes- maybe the same time as my deodorant

Filmy and silky. Feels slippy when it gets wet (e.g. in the shower)

Q4. Before taking part in this product test, had you ever tried Kelo-cote or any other scar reducing product before? If so, which one(s)?
None.

Jaufre Thu 28-Mar-13 10:28:44

moderately, would say that this scar has healed slightly more quickly than my first and it was a bit bumpier than my first so more results quicker

scar became flatter, faded

calming..erm..slow-drying(?)

not without prior recommendation or some kind of performance/moneyback guarantee

yes, because to stop my scar itching every day it would be worth £10 a month.

VikingLady Thu 28-Mar-13 12:59:06

Q1 How easy or difficult did you find Kelo-cote to apply? Very easy

Q2. On average how long did you find it took Kelo-cote to dry? Was this a longer or shorter time than you expected? About 5 minutes in a cold room - longer than expected and quite inconvenient! About 2 minutes in a warm room.

Q3. How did you find the feel of the gel? e.g. texture, stickiness etc. Thick and sticky, not very nice, but the thickness does make it feel like it is medical!

Q4. Before taking part in this product test, had you ever tried Kelo-cote or any other scar reducing product before? If so, which one(s)? No

britney92 Thu 28-Mar-13 19:51:22

I was really pleased with the product and the results

My scar seems smaller (it doesn't seem as long) also it isn't as bumpy as before and i didn't apply it as often as recommended as i kept forgetting so i am extremely pleased

easy, smooth, fantastic

Definitely i only wish i'd had this product from day 1

yes definitely

grrrraarrgghh Thu 28-Mar-13 20:28:40

Have been using this for a few weeks and just haven't got round to posting, sorry blush- so here's all three sets of feedback at once.

Q1 Very easy to apply, just glides on.

Q2 Maybe five minutes to dry, which is quicker than expected (but means I use it in the evenings; mornings far too rushed).

Q3 Feels fine on, v slightly like having glue on you (!).

Q4 Had tried Bio-oil before for stretch marks but nothing else.

Second set of feedback:

Q1 Scar was already not too pronounced but skin does seem to be in good condition and I don't think it's itching as much (will need some warm weather to make sure, though).

Q2. I apply it in the evening before bed - mornings are a mad rush.

Q3. About 1/3 tube left; is small scar and I've been fairly frugal.

Final set of feedback:
Most noticeable result: reduction in the itching.

Satisfied/dissatisfied: Fairly satisfied; was sceptical but now do think it has done something.

Three words: smooth, simple to use, protective.

Would I pay: Yes, if I get to summer and the itching really has stopped/reduced! A guarantee is a great idea.

Recommendation: Again, need some warm weather to be sure - but if it has stopped the itching, absolutely.

Sorry for the delay...

Q1: very easy to use, quite pleasant really
Q2: it only took a few mins to apply and dry, so that was fine
Q3: a little gluey, but smooth
Q4: I used Bio Oil previously, which was a faff to use and a waste of time.

SalIvatingDave Fri 29-Mar-13 21:51:54

I'm a late tester, so my replies are based on using for a couple of weeks only:

Straight forward. It helped that I knew from earlier reviews that it should be applied thinly.

About a minute. As expected.

Smooth and silky

Yes. Vitamin E oils, Bio Oil, Aloe Vera gel. This worked a lot better even after a short time.

CitrusyOne Sat 30-Mar-13 10:44:55

I found it really easy to apply - went on smoothly and didn't drip anywhere.

I don't think it took long to dry - I just put my knickers on and got on with getting ready so I didn't really notice, although it didn't strike me that it took overly long.

It didn't feel sticky to me, just quite smooth. I liked the way it dried to make a coating on my scar - it felt like it was doing something!

No

CitrusyOne Sat 30-Mar-13 10:51:30

Fairly satisfied - I only remembered to put it one once a day, and my scar does seem paler. I'm sure if I'd have remembered to do it every day I would have seen great results!

What (if anything) was the most noticeable result?

Paler scar

Which three words would you use to describe Kelo-cote silicone gel?

Smooth, cooling, soothing

The recommended retail price for Kelo-cote is £29.99. Would you be prepared to pay this amount for 3 month’s supply (equivalent to less than £10 per month)?

I think it's quite expensive, but no more so than other similar products on the market. In all honesty, I was interested to try it, and if I had a scar in a place where lots of people were going to see it then I might consider it, but for a c-section scar that will always be hidden, I don't really care enough to spend that amount of money. Also, if my scar was causing me major bother I might consider it, but it's healing fairly well so I'm pleased with how it's doing without any products. My stretch marks on my belly are another matter, but that's probably a whole other thread.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now