This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you'd like test a product on Mumsnet please mail insight@mumsnet.com.

Kelo-cote silicone c-section gel, tester review thread - Final feedback. NOW CLOSED

(639 Posts)
TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 04-Jan-13 10:09:35

This thread is for the 250 Mumsnetters who are trying out the new silicone c-section gel from Kelo-cote.

Below are the first set of feedback questions, more will be added at a later date. Please answer the questions below and add any other comments you may have.

Everyone who adds their feedback to this thread will be entered into a prize draw where one winner will receive a £200 John Lewis voucher.

Q1 How easy or difficult did you find Kelo-cote to apply?

Q2. On average how long did you find it took Kelo-cote to dry? Was this a longer or shorter time than you expected?

Q3. How did you find the feel of the gel? e.g. texture, stickiness etc

Q4. Before taking part in this product test, had you ever tried Kelo-cote or any other scar reducing product before? If so, which one(s)?

The next set of feedback questions will be added around the first week of February.

Thanks,
MNHQ

- Overall, how satisfied or dissatisfied were you with the results of the gel?

I am not entirely satisfied with the results but maybe it is due to the fact that I haven't been applying it as often as I should have.

- What (if anything) was the most noticeable result?

N/a

- Which three words would you use to describe Kelo-cote silicone gel?

Light, easy to use,

- The recommended retail price for Kelo-cote is £29.99. Would you be prepared to pay this amount for 3 month’s supply (equivalent to less than £10 per month)?

I am afraid I wouldn't pay this amount.

- If it were to come up in conversation, would you recommend Kelo-cote silicone gel to friends and family? If yes, why? If not, why not?

No I wouldn't because the results haven't been has expected but then it may be from the fact that I didn't apply regularly.

Marrow Wed 20-Mar-13 13:51:21

I was pretty satisfied with this and it is certainly more effective than bio oil was on my scars.

The raised part of my scar has flattened and is less red.

Sticky, clear, easy.

- The recommended retail price for Kelo-cote is £29.99. Would you be prepared to pay this amount for 3 month’s supply (equivalent to less than £10 per month)?

I think it would have to be a little cheaper to encourage me to pay for it. However if I had a scar on a more visible part of my body I think I would probably stretch to that amount as the results have been good.

- If it were to come up in conversation, would you recommend Kelo-cote silicone gel to friends and family?

Yes I would recommend as I have been impressed with the results.

Nigglenaggle Wed 20-Mar-13 21:27:42

Well it didnt change the scar significantly but to be honest I didnt really expect it to so I am fairly neutral on this.

I can't really say the scar has changed

nice little placebo

I would if I'd thought it worked

- If it were to come up in conversation, would you recommend Kelo-cote silicone gel to friends and family? If yes, why? If not, why not?
I would mention it but can't strongly recommend it on personal experience. However I would be willing to give it a try myself with a fresh scar as in fairness mine was 9 or 10mths old when I started treating it.

My pack did last around 3mths in the end. Im embarrassed to say, although I thought I'd read the packaging carefully, that I had been running the nozzle along the scar. Applied first to the finger as directed, it does go further and last longer.

currybaby Wed 20-Mar-13 22:05:07

Q1 How easy or difficult did you find Kelo-cote to apply? very easy. i do it after my shower in the morning.

Q2. On average how long did you find it took Kelo-cote to dry? Was this a longer or shorter time than you expected? i don't time it so i hope i'm waiting long enough for it to dry but I wait a few minutes and it seems to dry ok

Q3. How did you find the feel of the gel? e.g. texture, stickiness etc. its a thick texture so it doesn't spread very well and you do need to use more than is recommended.

Q4. Before taking part in this product test, had you ever tried Kelo-cote or any other scar reducing product before? If so, which one(s)? bio-oil for a bit after the birth

SpottySlippers Thu 21-Mar-13 21:58:33

8/10, good results, but not perfect.

The scarring is more flexible when compared to dh's appendix scar.

Unscented skin softener.

I would struggle to justify spending this amount, I think £10 for three months would be realistic for me.
Yes, even if it is only the regular massage of the scarring thatis beneficial it is worthwhile. If it works on c-section scars why not for other wounds?

Watto1 Fri 22-Mar-13 08:03:53

1 Moderately satisfied. Less itchy but still raised and red.
2 Much less itchy
3 Far too sticky
4 That's very expensive.
5 Probably not at that price.

GirlOutNumbered Fri 22-Mar-13 10:23:41

Q1 Very easy

Q2. It seems dry by the time I've done my hair, so a few mins. As quick as I would expect.

Q3. It's very sticky, but easy to apply, so fine.

Q4. Never tried any before.

DressMe Fri 22-Mar-13 10:36:12

Q1 - Very easy, but it is easy to use more than it states is needed.

Q2 - 3-5 minutes, which isn't a problem.

Q3 - Sticky, though again easy to use more than stated.

Q4 - No - Never tried anything.

WaterBiscuit Fri 22-Mar-13 12:21:30

Moderately. It certainly had a beneficial effect.

Scar is flatter and less sensitive, although the reduction in sensitivity may have happened progressively anyway.

Sticky clear film.

No, I don;t think I would unless I had a scar which really bothered me and I knew that this product gave impressive results. In other words, it depends how it's marketed!

I probably would say it makes a difference, but would hesitate to give a glowing endorsement at this price for the results that I have seen.

MichMoore Fri 22-Mar-13 12:55:33

1. Easy to apply though it dries so quickly I wasn't sure if I am putting enough on. Big c section scar x3.

. Dries very quickly.

. It's not sticky as such but there's definitely smth there..a bit tight maybe..
4. Not really. I think I looked at bio oil after my first section but only a sample of it and I couldn't justify the cost.

Q1 very straight forward and easy to apply
Q2 quicker than expected from instructions maybe 2 mins
Q3 texture not unpleasant, fine
Q4 I use bio oil on my tummy because of stretch marks

New tester here:

Q1 It was very easy to apply though it took me a while to figure out how much I needed.

Q2. It took a fairly short time - a couple of minutes? A bit longer than I might have expected.

Q3. It feels ok, a little bit sticky.

Q4. I had used Bio Oil for a little while as I had some left that I used in pregnancy to prevent (ha!) stretch marks.

Stacks Fri 22-Mar-13 20:41:49

It's easy to apply, but difficult to see if the application is smooth and covers the whole scar. I'm anxious of touching it to check, so am just left hoping I got everything.

Q2. On average how long did you find it took Kelo-cote to dry? Was this a longer or shorter time than you expected?

I try to leave it the 5 mins suggested, but this can be hard when desperate to get to bed when tired/get dressed quickly while baby isn't crying. As I feel like I shouldn't touch the area after application I tend yo just wait as long as I can stand, then get dressed.

Fine. The shiny look helps with telling where it's been applied, of you can catch the light on it right.

Q4. Before taking part in this product test, had you ever tried Kelo-cote or any other scar reducing product before? If so, which one(s)?

I'd used Bio Oil for a scar after abdominal surgery. I'm not sure if the oil worked, but I did get positive comments about the healing time from health professionals at check-ups after.

ffnorm Sat 23-Mar-13 16:18:28

Very easy

Less than a minute - quicker than I thought

The stickiness went as soon as it dried, so that wasn't a problem but I didn't like the feel of the seal once it was dry,got the same sensation on my finger even after washing my hands.

I had tried Bio oil on my C/S scar

TalkativeJim Mon 25-Mar-13 00:31:12

Hi- new tester here!

Q1: Very easy. I've found that I automatically squeeze a small amount onto my finger and go over a short section of the scar with it before doing the next, so application feels quite controlled.

Q2: as I expected - a minute or two. Have been applying as soon as I get out of shower along with deodorant, so am waiting for that to dry before getting dressed anyway!- a good way to fit the product into a typical morning routine.

Q3: The feel of the gel was fine, but the feel of the dried product was strange - a bit like a plastic seal on the skin. Very artificial. The worst aspect of the product (though still fine!)

Q4: I used Bio Oil on my previous section scar.

TalkativeJim Mon 25-Mar-13 00:33:07

Should add that I am nearly 9 weeks post-section and have been using the gel for c 3 weeks smile

InTheBoonies Mon 25-Mar-13 11:14:02

Easy, no problems.

About 2 minutes, a bit quicker than I thought.

I found it soothing. Not sticky but I had to wash my hands after applying as I had a silicone residue on my fingers.

Dermatix and Lily-C re-usable Silicone Sheeting

spicelette Mon 25-Mar-13 13:50:04

1. I was very satisfied with the results

2. The scar is flatter and less red

3. effective, soothing, clear

4. having used it, I would but i wonder if the price would put new users off.

5. yes, and I have done.

HoneyMyBunny Mon 25-Mar-13 15:16:53

I'm neutral on this one as it didn't seem to make much difference at all. My scar is slightly flatter but this could just be the result of time rather than the gel. It didn't do anything dramatic.

Nothing really except for the loss of time each day applying it and waiting for it to dry.

Sticky, faff, expensive

No, but then I don't spend that much on lotions and potions to begin with. This does seem a lot when you can get big bottles of cheaper alternatives.

I wouldn't recommend it unless someone was desperate for suggestions and then I'd suggest it might be worth a try.

Bearfrills Mon 25-Mar-13 15:20:07

Just reposting under my usual nickname blush

- Overall, how satisfied or dissatisfied were you with the results of the gel?I'm neutral on this one as it didn't seem to make much difference at all. My scar is slightly flatter but this could just be the result of time rather than the gel. It didn't do anything dramatic.- What (if anything) was the most noticeable result?Nothing really except for the loss of time each day applying it and waiting for it to dry.- Which three words would you use to describe Kelo-cote silicone gel?Sticky, faff, expensive- The recommended retail price for Kelo-cote is £29.99. Would you be prepared to pay this amount for 3 month’s supply (equivalent to less than £10 per month)?No, but then I don't spend that much on lotions and potions to begin with. This does seem a lot when you can get big bottles of cheaper alternatives.- If it were to come up in conversation, would you recommend Kelo-cote silicone gel to friends and family? If yes, why? If not, why not?I wouldn't recommend it unless someone was desperate for suggestions and then I'd suggest it might be worth a try.

Beckamaw Mon 25-Mar-13 15:27:53

Very satisfied. Far more so than I expected to be.

Scars are now virtually invisible. Just white lines. No redness whatsoever.

Crikey, it works!

Yes, because it works. I wouldn't have done prior to trialling it though.

Yes. My 5 year old DD had a horrible forehead scar, which is now significantly faded. It has also made old acne scars virtually disappear. I think there are more people embarrassed by facial scars than C-section scars, and would be more likely to recommend for this purpose.
I really believe in this product. smile

trockodile Mon 25-Mar-13 16:42:47

Very

Scar is less raised and less itchy

Cooling, soothing, effective

Yes

As someone who does not spend a lot on skin care etc I thought it worth it, scar has been less angry and itchy although I still have deep pain (however I accept that there are limits to what a cream can do!)

InTheBoonies Mon 25-Mar-13 16:45:36

Overall, how satisfied or dissatisfied were you with the results of the gel?
It has made a big difference to the less keloid part of the scar. I am satisfied it has made a definite difference. Maybe if I continue it will improve all of the scar.

The scar in parts has reduced to a thin flat red line, no difference in texture to my non scarred skin.

Definite noticieable improvement

Yes I would.

- If it were to come up in conversation, would you recommend Kelo-cote silicone gel to friends and family? Yes I would, it has helped to improve my scars appearance.

Jackie221084 Mon 25-Mar-13 16:54:49

It was ok...i expected a bit more

My c section scar is a bit smoother

Sticky, easy, expensive

No i expected more for the price

Probably yes i would

meggymegmegs Mon 25-Mar-13 17:01:02

I was quite impressed.

My scar is less red.

Easy to apply.

That seems expensive, but if I had another section I'd probably consider using it from the start.

Yes especially if they weren't short of cash.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now