This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you'd like test a product on Mumsnet please mail insight@mumsnet.com.

Kelo-cote silicone c-section gel, tester review thread - Final feedback. NOW CLOSED

(639 Posts)
TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 04-Jan-13 10:09:35

This thread is for the 250 Mumsnetters who are trying out the new silicone c-section gel from Kelo-cote.

Below are the first set of feedback questions, more will be added at a later date. Please answer the questions below and add any other comments you may have.

Everyone who adds their feedback to this thread will be entered into a prize draw where one winner will receive a £200 John Lewis voucher.

Q1 How easy or difficult did you find Kelo-cote to apply?

Q2. On average how long did you find it took Kelo-cote to dry? Was this a longer or shorter time than you expected?

Q3. How did you find the feel of the gel? e.g. texture, stickiness etc

Q4. Before taking part in this product test, had you ever tried Kelo-cote or any other scar reducing product before? If so, which one(s)?

The next set of feedback questions will be added around the first week of February.

Thanks,
MNHQ

Snorkmaiden75 Tue 19-Mar-13 13:21:52

- Overall, how satisfied or dissatisfied were you with the results of the gel?

Moderately satisfied. The results seemed to tail off towards this last 2 months and there has been no further reduction in redness, and some smaller lumpy/keloid bits of the scar still remain

- What (if anything) was the most noticeable result?

Reduction in tightness, sensitivity and itching of the scar. Some reduction of redness but did not fade as much as I had hoped.

- Which three words would you use to describe Kelo-cote silicone gel?

Sticky, non-allergenic, thick

- The recommended retail price for Kelo-cote is £29.99. Would you be prepared to pay this amount for 3 month’s supply (equivalent to less than £10 per month)?

I think this would be too expensive for me given the moderate results. I would probably pay up to £17.99 for 3 month's supply

- If it were to come up in conversation, would you recommend Kelo-cote silicone gel to friends and family? If yes, why? If not, why not?

Yes, if friends or family were particularly worried about a scar I would mention kelo-cote as I definitely found it a better product than bio-oil for example as it is unfragranced and lasts longer due to thickness of product.

dogrilla Tue 19-Mar-13 13:29:46

–It worked well to begin with but Im not sure how much change there has been more recently.

- most noticeable result was reduced redness

- the three words would you use to describe Kelo-cote silicone gel are: silky, soothing, slick

- The recommended retail price seems fairly expensive but if my scar was very visible and I was self-conscious about it i would pay the amount. anything less prob wouldnt contain active ingredients

- If it were to come up in conversation, I would definitely recommend Kelo-cote because it certainly made a difference to my scar.

Very easy

Q2. On average how long did you find it took Kelo-cote to dry? Was this a longer or shorter time than you expected?
Longer than i expected, i often had to get dressed whilst it was still tacky as i just dont have the luxury of time to wait.

It was stickier than i expected after significant drying time but i found it reassuring to be able to feel the product in place.

Q4. Before taking part in this product test, had you ever tried Kelo-cote or any other scar reducing product before? If so, which one(s)? Biooil and clarins oils. Both were rubbish compared to this product

OK. Have noticed some difference but not really a 'wow' factor.

Much less raised (both - I have 2 different c-section scars) and less red. Less itchy. My older scar has reduced more than my more recent one, which was much bigger and thicker to start with.

Sticky, smooth, odourless

- The recommended retail price for Kelo-cote is £29.99. Would you be prepared to pay this amount for 3 month’s supply (equivalent to less than £10 per month)?

No. Too expensive for no 'wow' factor. Also, I'm unlikely to wear a bikini so it would only be me seeing the results. If it were a case of it's £29.99 for 3 months and that's it, no more use is needed as your scar will be softer and less itchy foeever, then I might consider it. But to be honest, with a mortgage, 2 small kids, unruly eyebrows, hairy legs and very few new clothes, I couldn't justify £30 on a scar gel. I need the money to pay the gas bill! grin

- If it were to come up in conversation, would you recommend Kelo-cote silicone gel to friends and family? If yes, why? If not, why not?

I would recommend it as a short-term product then it's up to the person as to whether they can afford it.

sfancy Tue 19-Mar-13 13:44:07

Q1 How easy or difficult did you find Kelo-cote to apply? Very Easy

Q2. On average how long did you find it took Kelo-cote to dry? Was this a longer or shorter time than you expected? It dried within a few minutes which was longer than expected and left me waiting around so it didnt rub off on my clothes.

Q3. How did you find the feel of the gel? e.g. texture, stickiness etc-it was a bit sticky and quite thick.

Q4. Before taking part in this product test, had you ever tried Kelo-cote or any other scar reducing product before? If so, which one(s)?
I had tried these silicon sheets which I was given after my c section but I found them quite cumbersome and never stayed on my skin so this gel is a far better alternative for me!

SquashedPea Tue 19-Mar-13 14:08:27

Very satisfied

Reduction in redness and 'bumpiness' of scar

silky, sticky, simple

Yes

Yes as it worked effectively giving a big improvement to appearance and texture of the scar.

Fairly neutral. It is not amazing, but I do believe it has an effect.

More 'disappeariness', if that makes sense. Kind of like a feeling that the scar is blending into the skin background.

sticky, medical, wet

No, I really wouldn't. It's nice to have, but making my scar disappear isn't that much of a priority to me in the context of everything else that's important in my life. (However, if you could magically disappear the flabby tummy overhanging the scar, we'd be talking!)

If I had a friend who told me they were really concerned about their scar as a major issue I would recommend it, as I think it does address a need.

Squiglettsmummy2bx Tue 19-Mar-13 15:36:58

* very satisfied.
* my scar has stopped itching & it itched loads before.
* relieving, easy, sticky
* yes
* yes & I already have. It relieved the itching of my scar & it also feels smoother & is less red.

Sorry I'm late!!!!

Quite satisfied, was expecting it not to work and it sort of did.

I guess the scar feels flatter.

Sticky, cold, gooey

No, probably not.

I am not sure any of my friends or family would have the patience to wait for it to dry, I know I didn't! smile

BucketsnSpades Tue 19-Mar-13 15:59:36

Q1, I was satisfied with the results of the gel, there is a noticeable reduction in redness and I believe that this would have taken longer if I had waited for the scar to heal naturally.
Q2, The most noticeable result is the reduction in redness.
Q3, clear, unscented, easy
Q4, No, for me it would have to be less than twenty pounds even if that meant getting only two months supply, I would think twice before spending 29.99 n a beauty product.
Q5, it has come up in conversation and I have recommended it.I recommended it because I wanted my friend to feel that there was something positive that she could do about her scar.

Susieloo Tue 19-Mar-13 16:10:59

Very satisfied

Scar much less raised and lumpy

No probably not but then I'm on mat leave and broke!!

Yes I would recommend it to someone concerned about their scar

BoomBoomBoom Tue 19-Mar-13 16:32:36

NEW TESTER

Kelo-cote was very easy to apply.

The time was a few minutes. I found it was quicker then what I thought it would.

The gel was thick and sticky.

No.

SunnyUpNorth Tue 19-Mar-13 17:29:23

I am a new tester.

Q1: it is easy to apply, doesn't drip. I do find it quite thick and as my scar is quite wide I found it difficult to get the suggested application to spread across the whole scar.

Q2: only about a minute to dry.

Q3: it is a bit thicker than I expected. I don't find it too sticky, but I do find it quite hard to wash off my finger after application.

Q4: No.

New tester

Quite easy once I got used to using the right amount.

It dried within about 5 minutes which was on the instructions but feels like a long time when you're waiting to get dressed (especially with a new baby waiting for you!)

Q3. How did you find the feel of the gel? e.g. texture, stickiness etc-
It is very smooth and quite sticky.

No, I haven't used anything on my scar before.

Appin Tue 19-Mar-13 20:35:48

Very satisfied

Much reduced redness and less itching.
Clear, easy, effective.

probably, if I had a personal recommendation from a friend. Not as a completely unknown product though.

- If it were to come up in conversation, would you recommend Kelo-cote silicone gel to friends and family? If yes, why?
If not, why not?

Yes, because it's been really effective, people say bio oil is the best thing for scars but this has been much more effective for me.

IsItMeBU Tue 19-Mar-13 20:41:11

Q1) the gel was better then I expected and has made it look less angry.

Q2) my scar is not as red and looks older and more faded.

Q3) wet, sticky, hustle (takes to long to dry!)

Q4) no I wouldn't pay thirty quid for it

Q5) yeh I would but I would say I tried it out a s a test and I don't think it's worth the full price

treaclesoda Tue 19-Mar-13 21:10:18

I am a new tester.

Very easy

Just a couple of minutes, was actually quicker than I expected after reading the instructions

A little bit sticky, but it was surprisingly easy to rub in, considering how thich and sticky it appeared at first glance.

No, I had never tried anything on the scars before

1. Not particularly satisfied. It seems like an awful lot of effort (application twice a day, drying time) for no great difference in the scar. I would have expected some fading of the redness, but I can't say I've noticed any.

2. The most noticeable result for me was the reduction of itching. This was my second c section, and I can remember the first scar itching like crazy, but as soon as I started using Kelocote, there was no itching. However, I'm still not sure it was worth using the product for that.

3. Smooth, clear, sticky

4. To be honest, the price would put me off. If this is being marketed at ladies who've had c sections, they will obviously be on maternity pay, and £29.99 out of that would be a lot to me, even though I concede that £10 a month isn't bad. I also think it's quite a big outlay if you're not sure how well it would work for you. Also, unless a woman is sure she's had her last c section, what's the point in putting in so much time & effort to fading the scar, if she might end up with another one? I also can't say that fading my c section scar is particulary important to me, since it's below the hair line anyway. However, I can see this would be a more important factor with a scar in a visible area.

5. I don't think I would recommend this to family and friends. To apply a product twice daily, and wait for it to dry, you'd want to see some obvious results, and for me, I just haven't seen that. Also take into account how tough life with a young baby/babies is, adding something else into your routine is a big ask! I would also hesitate to recommend something so expensive, as I would then feel bad if they didn't like it!

MikeOxardAndWellard Tue 19-Mar-13 22:19:19

Very easy.

5-10 minutes - longer than it said it would take, but not longer than I expected.

A little bit sticky when wet, but fine.

Only Bio oil - it was crap imo. I thought it might help with stretch marks, so I spent a fortune on it throughout my first pregnancy. It didn't work.

Northernexile Wed 20-Mar-13 06:56:24

Sorry, late as usual!

Q1) Very satisfied. My scar is just over a year old, so fairly fresh, and it has made a noticeable difference since I began using it.

Q2) My scar has faded from and angry red to a light pink, and is slightly flatter (it wasn't too raised to begin with)

Q3) Effective, clear, smooth. If I could have said 'only needs a tiny blob' in one word I would have said that too!

Q4) No, I think it would be more than I would want to pay personally. I think £19.99 would be more reasonable. However my scar wasn't too bad- if it were worse and more visible I probably would pay more.

Q5) Yes, definitely

Bollydarling Wed 20-Mar-13 07:29:43

Q1 - generally happy. There has been a noticable difference since applying it and while I started applying it twice a day that reduced to once after my shower and now seems to be even less. So the change recently has been less.
Q2 - my scar is a lot less red
Q3 - quick, easy & effective
Q4 - no. My flab effectively hides the scar so it ain't coming out in public so no need to spend money trying to make it look better
Q5 - have already & given the 'free' sachet away.

hinkyhonk Wed 20-Mar-13 09:45:47

Sorry NC again

1 Overall, how satisfied or dissatisfied were you with the results of the gel?
Pretty satisfied - it feels good to be doing something about it as I've always been pretty unhappy about it and it had keloided.

2 What (if anything) was the most noticeable result?
My scar appears to have got lighter and flatter

3 Which three words would you use to describe Kelo-cote silicone gel?
Light, easy, effective

4 The recommended retail price for Kelo-cote is £29.99. Would you be prepared to pay this amount for 3 month’s supply (equivalent to less than £10 per month)?
It is expensive but I would pay it if a friend recommended it to me and they had found it helpful. There are so many products that don't seem to do anything (ahem bio oil) that it would be difficult to justify the expense if it didn't work.

5 If it were to come up in conversation, would you recommend Kelo-cote silicone gel to friends and family? If yes, why? If not, why not?

Yes as it think it has made a real difference to my scar and i've already passed on my free sample sachet.

worm77daisy Wed 20-Mar-13 10:53:37

- Less red, no itching

- Relief, Reduce, Reasonable

- yes, but only a three month supply probably

- Yes, if they had tried other products first, it dries quickly and is effective.

worm77daisy Wed 20-Mar-13 10:55:17

OOps question 1: Satisfied

UntamedShrew Wed 20-Mar-13 11:10:29

Very satisfied- I've tried other things but this is the first to have actually made any difference

Main change is the scar looks less 'angry' - it was red and raised, now paler and flatter

Effective, smoothing, soothing

Yes I'd pay that happily BUT only if I was confident it would work. Eg it had been recommended to me.

Yes I have already recommended it to a few people and given the sachet to a friend with a similar scar.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now