This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you'd like test a product on Mumsnet please mail insight@mumsnet.com.

Kelo-cote silicone c-section gel, tester review thread - Final feedback. NOW CLOSED

(639 Posts)
TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 04-Jan-13 10:09:35

This thread is for the 250 Mumsnetters who are trying out the new silicone c-section gel from Kelo-cote.

Below are the first set of feedback questions, more will be added at a later date. Please answer the questions below and add any other comments you may have.

Everyone who adds their feedback to this thread will be entered into a prize draw where one winner will receive a £200 John Lewis voucher.

Q1 How easy or difficult did you find Kelo-cote to apply?

Q2. On average how long did you find it took Kelo-cote to dry? Was this a longer or shorter time than you expected?

Q3. How did you find the feel of the gel? e.g. texture, stickiness etc

Q4. Before taking part in this product test, had you ever tried Kelo-cote or any other scar reducing product before? If so, which one(s)?

The next set of feedback questions will be added around the first week of February.

Thanks,
MNHQ

essexmumma Wed 27-Feb-13 11:24:05

1.my scar is less red and not quite as bumpy as it was before - definitely an improvement.

2. I have forgotten a few times however generally it's become part of the routine and the results have meant I'm keen to keep using.

3. I have a very small amount left.

redandwhitesprinkles Wed 27-Feb-13 13:17:31

1. Have you noticed any improvement in your scar since using Kelo-cote at all, if so in what way?

Scar is slightly smoother (not hugely bumpy anyway) but significantly less red.

2. Have you found using Kelo-cote easy or difficult to incorporate into your daily routine?
Quite easy once I got used to including it in my routine.

3. Approximately how much product do you have left?

About 1/4 of a tube

Would recommend

BetteDavis01 Wed 27-Feb-13 14:30:54

1. Have you noticed any improvement in your scar since using Kelo-cote at all, if so in what way? Less red and a lot smoother

2. Have you found using Kelo-cote easy or difficult to incorporate into your daily routine? Easy

3. Approximately how much product do you have left (1/3rd tube / 1/2 tube etc)? about 1/4 left

raaboonah Wed 27-Feb-13 22:14:30

1. Feels a but flatter and lighter

2. Mostly easy to include provided I remember

3. About half a tube I think

spicelette Wed 27-Feb-13 22:36:29

1. Have you noticed any improvement in your scar since using Kelo-cote at all, if so in what way? yes, it is paler, seems to blend in more with the skin around and it is less sensitive
2. Have you found using Kelo-cote easy or difficult to incorporate into your daily routine? I find it annoying to wait for it to dry in all honesty and as a result if I wasn't doing it for the trial there might be times when I wouldn't bother
3. Approximately how much product do you have left (1/3rd tube / 1/2 tube etc)? about half a tube.

Jaufre Thu 28-Feb-13 21:11:25

1. Have you noticed any improvement in your scar since using Kelo-cote at all, if so in what way?
yes! Last time round I said no but at the start of feb, all of a sudden, one half of my scar became much more faded all of a sudden...now waiting on the second half.
2. Have you found using Kelo-cote easy or difficult to incorporate into your daily routine?
pretty easy, I forget sometimes or am too busy, and can't hang around naked waiting for it to dry, usually have to trust that my clothes won't rub it all off
3. Approximately how much product do you have left (1/3rd tube / 1/2 tube etc)? Better at night when I can put it on before bed and let it 'air dry' while getting dressed, or getting into bed..
I guess about 1/3 - maybe mfrs could let us know how much the empty tube weighs then we could tell you exactly how much we have left?

Pheebs1980 Thu 28-Feb-13 23:34:42

1. I did notice a slight reduction in redness but had to stop using it for a week as the friction of rubbing it in caused it to itch and become more sore.

2. Difficult in the last few weeks as my ds and myself have been ill but before quite easy.

3. Have about half left

Sparklezz Tue 05-Mar-13 08:33:53

1. my scar feels flatter and and less noticable.
2. its quite easy to fit it into my daily routine
3. i have just under half of the contents left.

Loopyhasanotherbean Sun 10-Mar-13 22:14:23

1. Not quite as red, but now 6 months since second cs so don't know what is down to time and what is down to the gel, but feels bit softer than old scar used to be from first cs and less itchy.

2. Easier to fit in than before, I think mainly as second baby now 6 months and so not as demanding as he was a couple of months ago!

3. I'd say not a lot, less than 1/4 tube, think I've applied more than I should have, but my scars aren't quite following the same line so think I might have more surface to cover than others, either that or I've been too heavy handed with it.

LynsW Mon 11-Mar-13 15:51:54

1. scar has faded in colour slightly
2. yes easy to apply every day
3. have approx 1/3 of a tube left

KatieBMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 12-Mar-13 14:34:26

Final feedback questions

Thanks to everyone for taking part in the product test. Below are the final feedback questions for you to answer.

Everyone who provides all feedback as required will be entered into a prize draw where one winner will receive a £200 John Lewis voucher.

- Overall, how satisfied or dissatisfied were you with the results of the gel?

- What (if anything) was the most noticeable result?

- Which three words would you use to describe Kelo-cote silicone gel?

- The recommended retail price for Kelo-cote is £29.99. Would you be prepared to pay this amount for 3 month’s supply (equivalent to less than £10 per month)?

- If it were to come up in conversation, would you recommend Kelo-cote silicone gel to friends and family? If yes, why? If not, why not?

Thanks and good luck,

MNHQ

titan Tue 12-Mar-13 14:55:01

1. Not very. My c section scar has become progressively more keloid
2. Seems to prevent itchiness
3. Gooey, sticky, clear
4. Not sure
5. No because it didn't improve my keloid and there may be cheaper products to help with itchiness

LishK Tue 12-Mar-13 14:55:55

Very satisfied

Reduced redness.

- The recommended retail price for Kelo-cote is £29.99. Would you be prepared to pay this amount for 3 month’s supply (equivalent to less than £10 per month)?

Yes although I've needed more than one tube.

- If it were to come up in conversation, would you recommend Kelo-cote silicone gel to friends and family? If yes, why?
If not, why not?

Yes because of great fading of scar.

LishK Tue 12-Mar-13 14:57:22

Oh and three words

Simple, sticky, good

shoeprincess2 Tue 12-Mar-13 14:58:49

1. Satisfied with the product- i have noticed an improvement over the last 3 months
2. It is alot smoother and flatter than at the beginning of the test
3. Smoothing, soft and easy
4. Yes
5. I would recommend it to friends and family as it has done wonders to my scar, is easy to apply and has given me more confidence

Mimisrevenge Tue 12-Mar-13 14:59:45

Overall, I was satisfied with the gel. Don't think that this product w ill make scars vanish, however it will smooth them and make them seem less angry, itchy and red.

The most noticeable result was the change of colour from reddy purple to a much lighter pink.

3 words: silky, smoothing and calming

I think that's quite expensive. 25 is more reasonable. Not sure how it compares with other products on the market.

Yes I would recommend it, I already have. I think the cost is high for a c section scar which lets face it is largely coverable. However for scars in more visible areas, I think this would be well worth the money and could be very beneficial to those people.

bemybebe Tue 12-Mar-13 15:15:15

On the scale 0-10 about 7. I was hoping for better results, but happy with the overall reduction in redness and bumpiness.

Less red and less bumpy.

Silky smooth clear

Firstly, I am not sure it is 3 months worth if you do not apply tiny bit from the onset. I run out in the month, but was sent a second tube in the beginning, so was able to continue. Secondly, £29.99 seems an awful lot to pay to treat something that is not really noticeable anyway even when I wear a tiny swimsuit, but then I am not buying expensive creams normally. I would probably feel different if I had a more prominent scar and was able to reduce its appearance even a little bit.

- If it were to come up in conversation, would you recommend Kelo-cote silicone gel to friends and family? If yes, why? If not, why not?

I would happily recommend the gel as a 'give it a try'. I am unlikely to rave about it though at that stage in the trial. I will continue using it until I finish the tube and hope I will get better.

Dollybird99 Tue 12-Mar-13 15:15:51

Overall, how satisfied or dissatisfied were you with the results of the gel?

Very satisfied indeed. My scar has faded significantly and is much less itchy.

The fading of the scar from purple to very light pink.

Easy, fantastic and does what it says on the tin (I know that's too many!!)

Yes definitely.

- If it were to come up in conversation, would you recommend Kelo-cote silicone gel to friends and family? If yes, why?

If not, why not?

Yes I would. The scar is so much better and the itchiness is much reduced.

bemybebe Tue 12-Mar-13 15:16:29

"Firstly, I am not sure it is 3 months worth if you do not apply tiny bit from the onset. I run out in the month,"

Sorry, I run out in the LAST month...

kentDee Tue 12-Mar-13 15:17:07

1. I was very satisfied with this product.

2. Most noticeable results on my scar was the reduction of the "angry red shade". I've had triplets so I was intrigued to use something that gave me some confidence after all these months, and it has. I think it's much flatter too.

3. Easy, quick, sticky.

4. I probably would pay that amount because I know it has worked on me.

5.I would recommend it to family and friends definitely.

MissRee Tue 12-Mar-13 15:17:38

Not really satisfied at all - it didn't really do anything for my scar at all.

It didn't do anything.

Sticky, wet, expensive.

Nope, it didn't work for me!

No because it didn't really work for me.

elizadofuckall Tue 12-Mar-13 15:19:27

Overall, how satisfied or dissatisfied were you with the results of the gel?
Very satisfied!

* What (if anything) was the most noticeable result?*
The fading in the redness of the scar.

* Which three words would you use to describe Kelo-cote silicone gel?*
Easy, relieves itching.

* The recommended retail price for Kelo-cote is £29.99. Would you be prepared to pay this amount for 3 month’s supply (equivalent to less than £10 per month)?*
Given the results that i have seen, i would be willing to pay £29.99.

* If it were to come up in conversation, would you recommend Kelo-cote silicone gel to friends and family? If yes, why? If not, why not?*
I would definitely recommend it to friends as the results, for me, were fast and it was so simply to use and wasnt greasy as some other scar products are.

Fairly satisfied. I noticed results fairly quickly but not much improvement in the last few weeks. It may be that my scar wasn't too bad tor start with so my improvement will be less noticeable.

Itching has pretty much gone now, and it is considerably less raised.

Fast, Easy, Sticky

My initial reaction is that this seems like a lot of money, however my scar wasn't too bad to start with. If my scar was extremely sore and visible I would probably be happy to pay this.

I would recommend but would also manage their expectations - it can only do so much to help and if your scar isn't too bad to start with then you may not see a big enough difference to justify the cost. If it was someone with a problem scar then I would recommend without hesitation.

CorporeSarnie Tue 12-Mar-13 15:37:54

1) I am reasonably satisfied, given the timescale of the trial and that the sample was free.
2) Improvement to scar tissue (reduced redness and itching).
3) Anti-itching scar reducer
4) I think almost £30 is a lot for a product like this - in all likelihood, I'd be put off and buy something cheaper. I'd say £20 was a more suitable price point (even if it meant a smaller unit size), unless it was abundantly clear that kelo-cote gave results that other treatments were incapable of delivering, or there were discounts available e.g. a trial sample in the Bounty pack and a £5 off voucher on the back.
5) I have sent the small free sample supplied with the trial pack to a friend who had a recent CS, so have already recommended in a way. I'd mention it to friends if it came up in conversation (although CS scars is not a particularly hot topic of conversation amongst postnatal women).

Haribolicious Tue 12-Mar-13 16:05:55

1) Overall, how satisfied or dissatisfied were you with the results of the gel?
Fairly satisfied....it was better than I expected.

2) What (if anything) was the most noticeable result? I felt there was some improvement to the itchiness and redness.

3) Which three words would you use to describe Kelo-cote silicone gel? Easy, soothing, sticky

4) The recommended retail price for Kelo-cote is £29.99. Would you be prepared to pay this amount for 3 month’s supply (equivalent to less than £10 per month)? My initial reaction is that this is expensive, I would look to pay more around the £5 mark. However, if my scar was more troublesome and this gel really eased it, then I would probably pay, given that it helped.

5) If it were to come up in conversation, would you recommend Kelo-cote silicone gel to friends and family? If yes, why? If not, why not? I would definitely mention it and give my opinion (good and bad) so I wouldn't necessarily 'recommend' it but I'd definitely bring it up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now