Please note: This topic is for your comments and feedback on Product Tests being run by Mumsnet. It is not the place to post (or ask for) comments on other products. If you do this, your comments may be deleted. If you'd like to run your own product test, please email insight@mumsnet.com. If you are an entrepreneur or start-up and would like to ask for some feedback, please visit our media requests topic.

Kelo-cote silicone c-section gel, tester review thread - Final feedback. NOW CLOSED

(639 Posts)
TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 04-Jan-13 10:09:35

This thread is for the 250 Mumsnetters who are trying out the new silicone c-section gel from Kelo-cote.

Below are the first set of feedback questions, more will be added at a later date. Please answer the questions below and add any other comments you may have.

Everyone who adds their feedback to this thread will be entered into a prize draw where one winner will receive a £200 John Lewis voucher.

Q1 How easy or difficult did you find Kelo-cote to apply?

Q2. On average how long did you find it took Kelo-cote to dry? Was this a longer or shorter time than you expected?

Q3. How did you find the feel of the gel? e.g. texture, stickiness etc

Q4. Before taking part in this product test, had you ever tried Kelo-cote or any other scar reducing product before? If so, which one(s)?

The next set of feedback questions will be added around the first week of February.

Thanks,
MNHQ

mrsh2305 Fri 08-Feb-13 20:23:37

1. It has made my scar less red, less bumpy and quite smooth. However my scar still itches quite a lot. I stopped using the gel for a few days to see if it stopped itching but it didn't. So it was not the gel causing the itching.

2. Its easy to incorporate in my routine although some days i probably don't let it dry completely as I'm in a rush. A quicker drying forumla would be good.

3. About half a tube

mrsh2305 Fri 08-Feb-13 20:25:14

1. It has made my scar less red, less bumpy and quite smooth. However my scar still itches quite a lot. I stopped using the gel for a few days to see if it stopped itching but it didn't. So it was not the gel causing the itching.

2. Its easy to incorporate in my routine although some days i probably don't let it dry completely as I'm in a rush. A quicker drying forumla would be good.

3. About half a tube

1. Have you noticed any improvement in your scar since using Kelo-cote at all, if so in what way? Yes, it's softer and flatter. At the edges the redness has gone. It doesn't feel so sensitive either. I was very sceptical that the product would work, especially as my keloid scar is from a 3rd c/s nearly 3 years ago, so it's fair to say that I'm amazed and very impressed.

2. Have you found using Kelo-cote easy or difficult to incorporate into your daily routine? Mornings just doesn't work for me - I get so little sleep that I'm just not going to get up 5 minutes earlier to apply and dry the gel. Evenings it's very easy, part of my shower and go to bed routine.

3. Approximately how much product do you have left (1/3rd tube / 1/2 tube etc)? Hard to say. Less than half a tube

ChartMistress Sat 09-Feb-13 10:46:39

1. Have you noticed any improvement in your scar since using Kelo-cote at all, if so in what way?
Scar has faded most on the right hand side, still quite lumpy & raised in the middle but better than it was

2. Have you found using Kelo-cote easy or difficult to incorporate into your daily routine?
Fairly easy, I do it before cleaning my teeth which then gives it a couple of mins to dry before I get dressed / get into bed. It's often still a bit tacky when I get dressed though

3. Approximately how much product do you have left (1/3rd tube / 1/2 tube etc)?
About 1/4 of a tube

tara277 Sat 09-Feb-13 13:51:21

1. Have you noticed any improvement in your scar since using Kelo-cote at all, if so in what way?

Yes, definitely seems smoother and softer.

2. Have you found using Kelo-cote easy or difficult to incorporate into your daily routine?

The drying time can be awkward in the morning when having to get dressed and ready in a hurry and not being able to wait around.

Around 1/4 left or so.

StuntNun Sat 09-Feb-13 19:09:00

It is healing with less itching and pain than my previous c-section scar. It was raised at the start of treatment but is now flat almost all they way along it now. I'm glad to be actively doing something to help with healing.

Easy in the morning as I apply it after showering but not so easy to remember in the evening so I usually only use it once a day.

About a third of the tube.

leastsaidsoonestmended Sat 09-Feb-13 19:18:44

Seems to be a little smoother.

2. Have you found using Kelo-cote easy or difficult to incorporate into your daily routine

Easy

Approx half a tube left.

rosyfeathers Sat 09-Feb-13 20:41:14

Yes, my scar is no longer reddish, and is fainter, flater and smother to the touch. This is after i have had 3 sections, all within 4 years.

2. Have you found using Kelo-cote easy or difficult to incorporate into your daily routine? I find it relatively easy to incorporate, as i put it on and leave my scar exposed for awhile. By the time i get to dressup it is dry. I have used a fan to dry it some times, but otherwise its fine.

3. Approximately how much product do you have left (1/3rd tube / 1/2 tube etc)? I have 1/5 let.

Nigglenaggle Sat 09-Feb-13 21:13:39

1)I'm not sure I've seen significant improvement, if I'm honest. Mine is one of the older scars being tested however and I would be willing to try it on my next, fresh C-section scar. I do seem to scar particularly badly.

2)I find the drying time difficult. The morning application I find easier to remember than the evening - I'm just so tired then!! Plus DC not a good sleeper so often settling in the evening. I dont own a hairdryer!! I would love to be able to apply it once daily.

3)I think I have just under a third of a tube left.

Will there be more feedback requests?

Wildwaterfalls Sun 10-Feb-13 07:54:28

1. Significant improvement - lighter colour, smoother. Scar was relatively new though so may have improved over this period without gel too.

2. It's ok. A little annoying to have to wait for it to dry, but manageable and worth it given improvement.

3. I think I've been using a bit too much, about 1/5 left.

MatriarchalDreams Sun 10-Feb-13 13:34:23

1. It has faded significantly, a lot of the redness has gone, also it doesn't 'pull' any more, can't feel anything in fact. It's also less raised than before.

2. Generally easy to incorporate, although I do have to try to remember to apply it at the beginning of getting dressed otherwise I have to hang around for a couple of minutes waiting for it to dry.

3. About 2/3rds of the tube left.

Biggem Sun 10-Feb-13 20:59:09

Less red and a lot less raised...also may just be me but it doesn't feel as sensitive to touch anymore.

Easy, do it post shower or when I'm getting dressed I usually put it on and then brush my teeth before getting dressed.

About 1/2 a tube

1. I can't honestly say the scar looks any different, but I think it feels a bit softer & smoother, & it stopped itching from the day I started using Kelocote.

2. I suppose it's been quite easy to incorporate into my routine, although I do find it slightly annoying not being able to get dressed as soon as I get out the shower. However, I've just seen the tip about using a cool hairdryer on it, so might give that a go.

3. I would estimate I still have about half a tube left.

Bollydarling Mon 11-Feb-13 17:01:42

Less red n less itchy. Is making a difference
Yes, use after a shower
About half a tube. Don't seem to b getting through it very quickly

My scar has definitely improved in its appearance though I'm not entirely sure this is down to kelo-cote or just natural healing.

fairly easy, though I find I occasionally forget to apply it

I don't know, somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2 I'd guess

BucketsnSpades Mon 11-Feb-13 20:46:11

1. The scar has improved in appearance, in some places the redness has gone completely but the improvement is patchy so i'm wondering if i should be using more product with each application
2. I am consistent with the evening application but have missed one or two morning applications.
3. I still have about half the tube left

happyjustobeme Mon 11-Feb-13 20:58:30

I haven't noticed much difference, if any. It may be lighter on each end, but hardly at all.

I put it on after my shower, or before bed, if i have forgotten. I leave it at the side of the bed, and its fine.

I have about a quarter left, i think.

(I signed up for the test under happyaseyeam)

welliesandpyjamas Mon 11-Feb-13 21:10:06

I did initially but of late I've noticed the scar getting darker, although no change to sensation.

Sometimes, it can be easy to forget an application when keeping a family running smoothly...other habits take priority!

About 1/3

pinkem Mon 11-Feb-13 21:23:11

The scar has stopped itching and the redness is fading.

Easy; after a shower in the morning and before bed.

Approx 1/4 tube.

1. Scar is slightly less red now but it doesn't seem to have affected its raised-ness.
2. Yes, it's been easy to remember to apply am and pm, and its easily become part of my daily routine.
3. I think there's around a third left.

Cosmostocupcakes Tue 12-Feb-13 04:44:52

a) scar is lighter and slightly smoother
b) I did it morning after shower and sometimes at night - until my son ran off and hid it!
c) I have about 1/3 left

salcz Tue 12-Feb-13 21:03:57

I found it made me itch quite badly/stung slightly so stopped using it.

Quite easy once I got used to including it in my routine (whilst I was still persisting).

NA - see Q1

Procrastinating Tue 12-Feb-13 21:08:15

Q1. Have you noticed any improvement in your scar since using Kelo-cote at all, if so in what way?

A1. I think it is less red, and slightly less sensitive. It is still quite raised though.

A2. Difficult. I keep forgetting.

A3. About 1/3.

gabbagabbahey Tue 12-Feb-13 21:16:22

1. Yes - feels softer, less raised and has been less itchy. Also my OH has spontaneously commented that he thought my scar looked lighter and smaller.
2. Very easy - moisturise face and then tummy
3. I requested more product as I think I may have been a little over-zealous with the first tube so I have a good 3/4 left.

themachinist Wed 13-Feb-13 19:23:32

Yes, for sure. It is less raised, less red, and looks older. It is 2.5 yrs and keloid. It is still nasty, but hopefully the improvement will continue.

Easy, although its easy to forget at times. It is a bit of a pain as my scar is in such a deep chasm - gorgeous overhang - but not too bad.

About 1/4 - can I have some more please or I will run out. I am trying to use less, but my scar is particularly large and bumpy.

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now