This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you'd like test a product on Mumsnet please mail insight@mumsnet.com.

NOW CLOSED Primula PODs - tester feedback thread

(197 Posts)
KatieBMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 14-Dec-12 12:19:05

This thread is for the 200 Mumsnetters who have been trying the new Primula PODs with their DCs. Below are a few questions to get you started but please feel free to add any other comments you may also have.

Everyone who adds their feedback to this thread will be entered into a prize draw where one winner will receive a £150 Debenhams voucher.

The first few questions are about the Primula Cheese PODs:
Q1. Who in your family tried the Primula PODs? What were your/their initial impressions?
Q2. In particular what did you and your family think of the following in relation to both the original PODs and the Cheese N Chive PODs?
- Texture
- Taste
- Packaging
Q3. Did you try any of the Primula PODs recipes from the Primula website? If so which one(s) and what did you think of them?
Q4. When were the PODs eaten? As an after school snack? As part of a lunchbox? As a treat? etc
Q5. "Primula PODs are a good source of calcium", would this statement encourage you to buy this product or not? If so, why? If not why not?
Q6. What features do you ideally want to see from children's snacks?
Q7. If it came up in conversation would you recommend Primula PODs to a friend/relative? If so why? If not, why not?

Now just a couple of questions about the POD Island website www.primulapods.co.uk
Q1. What did your DC think of the website? Were there any aspects they particularly liked or disliked? Did they have a favourite area of the site?
Q2. Is there anything else you'd like to see on the website? Any areas for improvements? What did you like most about the website for your child(ren)?

Thanks and good luck,

MNHQ

mummyme82 Sat 15-Dec-12 15:44:05

Q1. Who in your family tried the Primula PODs? What were your/their initial impressions?
Me, DH, DD, DS. We all tried the original kids loved them me and DH thought they didn't have much taste, we all loved the cheese and chive.

Q2. In particular what did you and your family think of the following in relation to both the original PODs and the Cheese N Chive PODs?
- Texture -Good
- Taste -Good
- Packaging -Nice apeals to children and easy to open great for little hands.

Q3. Did you try any of the Primula PODs recipes from the Primula website? If so which one(s) and what did you think of them?
We made pizza with them it went down a treat!

Q4. When were the PODs eaten? As an after school snack? As part of a lunchbox? As a treat? etc
After school snack and paked lunches

Q5. "Primula PODs are a good source of calcium", would this statement encourage you to buy this product or not? If so, why? If not why not?
I think it is nice to know but not sure it would influence my choice to buy them as lots of these types of products offer the same.

Good price, healthy, great for on the go

Q7. If it came up in conversation would you recommend Primula PODs to a friend/relative? If so why? If not, why not?
yes on the basis my children enjoy them.

Now just a couple of questions about the POD Island website www.primulapods.co.uk
Q1. What did your DC think of the website? Were there any aspects they particularly liked or disliked? Did they have a favourite area of the site?
DS didn't really like it said it was to babyish! DD enjoyed it and spent ages clicking through it, when I asked she said she liked it all.

Q2. Is there anything else you'd like to see on the website? Any areas for improvements? What did you like most about the website for your child(ren)?
I couldn't see any issues with it and DS enjoyed it kept her quiet for a while, so it was all good!

elizaco Sat 15-Dec-12 17:16:38

1. Myself and my youngest daughter (age 9) tried them. I liked both flavours. Unfortunately my daughter didn't, but she is quite fussy with cheese products!
2. I liked the texture. My daughter thought it abit soft. She would prefer it to have been a harder cheese texture.
3. No, we haven't tried any of the recipes.
4. As an after-school snack. I'd planned to use them in lunchboxes, but as she didn't enjoy them, I won't!
5. This would normally help persuade me to buy a product.
6. Little packaging, healthy, tasty.
7. Not really - just because my own daughter didn't enjoy them.
Sorry it wasn't a particularly positive response, but thank you for letting us take part!

billybear Sat 15-Dec-12 18:05:32

how do i get on to bit adding my view on pods we tried

SpottySlippers Sat 15-Dec-12 19:53:29

We all tried them - me, DH, DD1 (8), DD2 (5), DS1 (2).

- Texture
- Taste
- Packaging
As other have said, packaging is excellent, all the children were able to open the pods. The texture was rubbery. I found the cheese and chive more palpable than the plain cheese however the children only liked the plain cheese.

No, nothing stood out I'm afraid. I would not use these to cook with - not very cost effective.

They were eaten with crackers, ham, carrot sticks etc as a light tea.

Possibly, but isn't all cheese a good sourse of calcium?

Nutrious, low salt and sugar levels, cost effective.

Unlikely, prefer the taste of Babybels; although the pod packaging is excellent and a big improvement on a Babybel.

DD (8) tried the website and was not particularly impressed, saying it was boring?! She did try and print some colouring but the paper size was all wrong so she gave up on that. I will get DD2 (5) to try it tomorrow and will report back.

The loading speed needs resolving; acitivites for older children would be welcome.

Thank you for letting us try these!

Bosgrove Sat 15-Dec-12 20:04:48

My three children ages 3, 5 and 7 ( and my parents aged 67 and 70)
- Texture
- Taste
- Packaging

The Children and my mother all enjoyed the cheese, my 7 year old just says nice, high praise indeed coming from him. The cheese and chive was popular even with the fussy children, and the packaging very easy for them all to open by themselves. My mum has plans to turn the packs into a craft item.

My Dad however just said ok, by he would have prefered a real cheese not a processed one.

No, but I would in the future.

After school, as a treat to keep them going before tea, but they would like them in a packed lunch in the future

All cheese is a good source of calcium so the statement is a bit obvious, I do however try and put two dairy products (and two pieces of fruit) in each packed lunch I make

Something healthy, that they enjoy to the last bite, something that they can open without help.

Yes, they were all eaten and enjoyed by the children, but as yet don't know what they will cost in to shop.

It took ages to load, one of the games (the fossil one) we couldn't get to work properly so we might not play again, but as I am typing this my 7 year old is begging me to finish so he can get back to the canoe game. I liked the maths aspect, but he didn't seem to enjoy it so much
To speed it up, and more places that he can visit.
If we hadn't been looking to review we would have given up as it took so long to download.

Nickles83 Sat 15-Dec-12 21:30:33

Q1. Who in your family tried the Primula PODs? What were your/their initial impressions? They looked great, perfect for days out and lunch boxes.

- Texture - we all enjoyed them, not crumbly which is good. Kids didn't like the cheese and chive ones though.
- Taste - pretty bland for me, kids enjoyed them though.
- Packaging - easy to open & perfect fir little hands. Not easy to squish either.

Q3. Did you try any of the Primula PODs recipes from the Primula website? If so which one(s) and what did you think of them? No but we will

Q4. When were the PODs eaten? As an after school snack? As part of a lunchbox? As a treat? etc as a treat and one when with lunch.

Q5. "Primula PODs are a good source of calcium", would this statement encourage you to buy this product or not? If so, why? If not why not? Yes extra calcium is always good.

Q6. What features do you ideally want to see from children's snacks? Quick and easy.

Q7. If it came up in conversation would you recommend Primula PODs to a friend/relative? If so why? If not, why not? Yes defo.

Q1. What did your DC think of the website? Were there any aspects they particularly liked or disliked? Did they have a favourite area of the site? Very slow in loading, great when it did load. Loved the games zone area.

Q2. Is there anything else you'd like to see on the website? Any areas for improvements? What did you like most about the website for your child(ren)? Very slow for me,

Can we get some confirmation on the date please?

Me, DP and DS (2.4).
DP and I thought they were nice, DS loves anything that involves cheese so was happy enough to eat them.
DP thinks they are nicer than Babybel.
- Texture - I liked the texture, as it's similar to cheese triangles, although I did find it slightly grainy.
- Taste - I like the taste of processed cheese so these appealed to me!
- Packaging - Brilliant. As they are aimed at kids' lunch boxes they would be really easy to open on their own (as opposed to the wax coating the others come in)
No, I wouldn't use this type of cheese to cook with, other than chopping it up and mixing it into pasta.
They we're eaten as a snack while standing at the fridge, and DS has had them as part of a picky plate lunch and also between lunch and pudding
Possibly, although I tend to just buy what I want and hope we have a reasonable diet.
I like to know I'm not giving my DS empty calories. And as we're all vegetarian, a protein rich snack is a massive plus. I hardly ever give sweet snacks so cheesey ones are a really good choice for us.
Yes, people often ask me for kids' food ideas as I try to be inventive given our veggie-ism.

I sat him on my lap and let him watch me use the website as he's a bit young to use a mouse. He liked the mice characters and enjoyed looking at the story.
The website as a whole seemed rather slow. It was a bit laggy, which would, I imagine, soon frustrate a modern kid these days!

HairyPoppins Sun 16-Dec-12 12:56:14

Q1. Me and DD (2)

Q2. DD not quite eloquent enough yet to explain her feelings but I found the texture to be quite smooth and had enough 'bite' to make it feel like you were eating a solid piece of cheese. The taste of both of them was pretty bland,and a bit waxy/grainy. My DD wouldn't even try the chive one but munched up the plain one quite happily once I had opened it for her. I can see her being able to open it for herself quite soon though, and a lot easier for little hands than the red competitor - my little girl just tries to eat the wax if I give her one of those.

Q3. No, I would continue to use 'real' cheese.

Q4. We ate one each as soon as they arrived, my DD is a bit off her food due to a cold at the moment so I will try literally anything at any time to get her to eat something and the novelty of 'cheese from the postman' was too good to resist! I will probably put a couple in her packed lunch to eat at the childminder's, tomorrow.

Q5. "Primula PODs are a good source of calcium" is a bit obvious and my DD loves milk, yogurts, cheese anyway so it wouldn't make a difference as to whether I'd buy it.

Q6. Nutritious, tasty, easy to handle and open. Good portion size.

Q7. I would recommend them because it's something my DD will eat (this week) but only as an occasional treat, she will eat cheese and crackers anyway so something a bit faddy like this would be a very rare optional extra.

Q1. DD liked the colouring in bit but expected to be able to colour the pictures (like in one of the colouring apps for tablets/phone) onscreen rather than have to print them off.
Q2. I would prefer if the website was just a holding page which directed to an app because apps seem to hold her attention better than web pages, no idea why this is, though. We couldn't get into the games because she got so bored of waiting for it to load.

Elfontheshelfiswatchingyou Sun 16-Dec-12 13:27:04

Q1. DD1 (age 11) DD2 (age 9) Me and DH
First impressions: fun packaging, appealing, the children liked the look of them and wanted to try the straight away.

Q2.
I wasn't keen on the texture but the childen loved it.
Everyone liked the taste. I didn't expect DD1 to like the cheese and chive as she is a fusspot but they were her favourites.
Attractive, easy to open, appealing to kids. Nice that the packaging and website were linked.

Q3.
Not yet, we are going to try the pizza. DD1 melted one in a little pot and dipped her nachos in it, which was really nice.

Q4.
They have been eaten as a snack, as part of lunch at home and tomorrow they will be in the girls' lunchboxes.

Q5.
They are made from milk so I would expect a small amount of calcium. I have no difficulty getting my DDs to have milk or milk-based products so it doesn't matter to me.

Q6.
I like snacks to be healthy and nutritious.

Q7.
Yes i would, as they are tasty and the children enjoyed them very much. I will be buying them again.

www.primulapods.co.uk
Q1. DD loved the website, she played on it for ages and I was very impressed. she is 9. She read the story and played some games. Her favourite was the rafting game. She also tried to win me a lunchbox.

Q2. I liked how easy it was to use, very child-friendly. DD didn't need any help using it and I could relax as it is so secure. We are going to try the recipes out together too.

I didn't know about the charity the company supports until this test and think that Primula should make more of this, it is another reason I would purchase their products over others. Primula do good work. Keep it up!
smile

Me, DH, DD (8yo).
The PODs tasted nice, the chive one was nicer, tasted like the tube spread, the plain one was a bit bland.
DD likes them, says they taste "really cheesy"
I would like the packaging to be recycled, recyclable, or biodegradable, or at least have suggestions on the POD island site of ways to reuse them for craft etc.
They were easy to open, and a good size for a snack.
DD ate one after school a couple of days, DH ate two of an evening, I shared one with DD after lunch. I wouldn't cook with it as it's far cheaper to use block cheese.

We haven't been on the website yet, will feed back when it's a bit less hectic chez sparetime!

Cachaca Sun 16-Dec-12 13:59:57

Myself, dh, dd1 (14), dd2 (11)
Good packaging, fun without being too babyish. Cheese looked waxy and artificial. Both children commented that they looked very similar to another cheese product. Easy to open.

- Texture. We all found it a little "processed" in texture. 14 yr old liked that about it, 11 yr old didn't. Dh and I thought it was OK.
- Taste. Quite creamy, not too bad, but again quite "processed". We all liked the chive one more than the plain one, but dd2 actively disliked both types and couldn't finish them.
- Packaging. Fun but not too babyish. Neither of the children (not even the teenager) thought they'd be embarrassed to have it in their school lunchbox.

No, but off my own bat I tried some melted on toast. The chive one was pretty nice like that, in a slightly "junk food" sort of way.

As an afterschool snack. This was good as it was a better alternative than the sweets and crisps they usually go for.

No, because if I was buying it for health reasons I'd go for a more natural product.

Not too artificial. Good, fun packaging BUT easy to open without mess.

I might, to someone who had trouble getting their child to eat cheese or yogurt - might be another option to try.

Mine saw the site as far too young for them and wouldn't participate. This is understandable as they're above the target age range. (Dd2 was 10 when I applied but has now turned 11, so is right at the top of primary age.)

Not relevant for my children, but it was very slow to load.

Me, ds aged 16 and ds aged 10. I thought they tasted like a firm dairylea cheese traingle. I thought that maybe they were a little too large for the target age group. DS aged 16: I thought that they were just similar to babybel's, but had the taste more like the dairylea cheese traingles. DS aged 10: Didn't like them; he found them too large and too rich.

- Texture - No difference in texture between the two, they were both quite smooth and slightly rubbery.
- Taste - like dairylea cheese triangles, would prefer to have them cut up into smaller pieces in a salad or with crackers.
- Packaging - Easy to open and nothing wrong with it.

Not tried any yet.

So, far they have been eaten as snacks.

Not particularly, because I know that all cheese contains high amounts of calcium.

Low sugar, easy to open and small portion sizes.

Would recommend as an alternative to babybels and similar products.

I personally thought that the products were a more suitable snack for the 10-16 age group, as they would be just a bit too big and creamy for the younger age group.

DS aged 10 enjoyed the games on the website. He enjoyed the maths games, however it wouldn't make him like the product anymore than he already does.

No improvements, but thought it was a fun website.

MajorMajor Sun 16-Dec-12 16:13:08

DS1(6) and DS2(4)
They both liked them - thought they were tasty

- Texture
- Taste
- Packaging

Texture - good. A bit like real cheese
Taste - they both liked the original (blue) ones best
Packaging - good - really easy to open

Not yet - we only went to the Game Zone

After school as a snack

Yes it would make a small difference although I think my kids get enough calcium

Low salt - low sugar - not too artificial

Yes

Yes they both liked it - the 6-year-old liked the maths puzzle and they both liked the river rapids game

The games are good, maybe there should be some more tricky levels to keep them interested

DevaDiva Sun 16-Dec-12 18:42:44

Me, DH, and DCs 8 and 11 (year 6). The children liked the bright packaging but weren't too sure about the 'bits' in the cheese n chive flavour!

- Texture - firm, not greasy
- Taste - tasted like cheese (well a bland one). DCs really liked the original flavour, originally liked the Cheese N Chive one but not after the first couple of bites.
- Packaging - easy to open, eye catching. DS 8 thought they were 'well cool' and would like to collect them hmm

No but the DCs would like to. I probably wouldn't use PODs in a recipe as it would make the meal too expensive.

After school snack; the DCs said they would like them in their lunch boxes but they wouldn't want them every day, but then they're not big cheese eaters.

I would assume that cheese had calcium in it.

Low in saturated fats, artificial additives and salt. Tasty, good value for money.

I might mention that i'd tried them. I'm not so impressed that i'd go round raving about them though.

DD has visited the site but only on her phone so couldn't access any of the games. She said it was easy to navigate and a good design but annoying that she couldn't get on the games.

Optimise for mobiles. DS like the games which he played on the laptop.

My rather helpful postman took my parcel back to the sorting office as we were out. He left a note saying not to collect until the next day sad

DP picked them up on his way home from a night shift on Saturday morning and aside from the note saying not to eat them after the 14th they were very warm. Now I'm not one to turn down free cheese so I've scoffed a couple but I'm reluctant to give them to DD, the germ magnet.

I've just emailed to see if we can get any more so will await a response and get DP to try them either way, before posting feedback if that's ok.

StopEating, can you let us know what they say? There's been no response here about the date. I received mine a day late and don't want to eat them now. Saying that, given the general feedback, I'm starting to think it's for the best.

BeataNoxPotter Sun 16-Dec-12 20:08:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Will do. In all honesty, if I see them when I'm shopping tomorrow I may well bung some in the trolley (dependent on price) for DD to try if I've not heard back as I really like them and they'll definitely get eaten!

Rikalaily Sun 16-Dec-12 20:24:45

All of my children tried them, ages 2, 5, 7 & 10

They were a little hit and miss which suprised me as all of the kids love cheese.

- Texture

The older three said the texture was nice

- Taste

My 2 year old loved the cheese flavour but didn't like the cheese & chive
5 year old didn't like either of them and spat them out straight away
7 year old liked the cheese & chive but didn't like the cheese flavour, she didn't say why she didn't like it, just said it was horrible.
10 year old liked both flavours and said they were nice and creamy.

- Packaging

They all liked the packaging and they were really easy to open, they much prefered it to the packaging on Baby bels.

Unfortunately we didn't get to try any of the recipes as they were all so excited to try the cheese that they snaffled them all in one go.

Eight were tried/eaten straight after breakfast and two were taken as part of a packed lunch.

Yes, I get get extra calcium into the kids in any way that I can.

Something natural, healthy and filling, my kids eat very often through the day and never feel to be full for long.

Yes I'd recommend them, they are a healthy snack and are convenient to carry around.

They liked it but it didn't hold thier interest for very long.

BornToFolk Sun 16-Dec-12 20:32:12

Me and DS (5). DS was very interested in the packaging, I don't thik he's seen anything like that before.
- Texture
I wasn't overly keen, seemed very processed and too smooth. However, it was good that it was sold enough to hold together once opened.

- Taste
DS said "Yum!" and polised his plain one off fairly quickly. I had a Cheese and Chive one which he nibbled and said it was OK but not as nice. I thought it was fine but quite processed tasting.

- Packaging
DS was impressed and I liked that he could manage to open the packaging himself.

No, I can't really imagine cooking with Primula.

We ate them as part of a lunch at home, to test them out but now I've seen that DS likes them and can open the packaging, the rest will go in his school lunch box.

No, not really. DS gets a lot of calcium so it's not really a selling point for Primula PODs

Nutritious, not too much rubbish in them, appetizing.

Yeah, probably.

DS played some of the games. The Dino Dig one was his favourite but he wasn't all that keen on any of them. He's not asked to play them again (he prefers the games on the Cbeebies website - as do I, much better design and game play)

I didn't find it all that engaging, for either me or DS.

ScaredySquirrel Sun 16-Dec-12 20:33:00

Everyone who adds their feedback to this thread will be entered into a prize draw where one winner will receive a £150 Debenhams voucher.

The first few questions are about the Primula Cheese PODs:

Me, dd1(12),dd2(9)dd3 (7)and ds 2(4)

Our first impressions : better than babybel!

- Texture
- Taste
- Packaging

We were impressed by all 3. Older dcz preferred the chives one, and younger ones liked the plain one.

No we didn't. But we spread it on toast!

Yes we ate them as a snack, both plain and on toast. I would (if I bought them) get them for lunch boxes though.

No. My children have enough calcium.

Healthy, no added sugar, salt etc. Not hydrogenated, no artificial stuff, tasty.non processed

I'm not sure how healthy they are really, or how expensive. I'd have to look into this further,.

?

DoesntTurkeyNSproutSoupDragOn Sun 16-Dec-12 20:45:38

My daughter, age 7, and I sampled them for lunch.

- Texture nice and creamy.
- Taste I was surprised that my daughter liked the chive one as I thought it would be too oniony. She had free choice of what was in the fridge for lunch and chose one of each over anything else that was in there.
- Packaging it seemed suitable for the product and easy for a child to open. I left my daughter to get on with it and she had no problems.

I've not had chance to look at the website yet.

As part of a snacky lunch. The plan was to put them with a packed lunch but my daughter was off school, I'll.

No, because its cheese. Obviously it has calcium in it.

No added cr*p, no excessive, difficult to open packaging.

If they were asking for lunchbox ideas and their child didn't like normal cheese, yes.

Deni99 Sun 16-Dec-12 20:55:40

Q1 Me and dd(10)
Q2
All 3 fine- the cheese and chive one was best, the plain a bit bland and the packaging was great - less faff than others.
Q3 No the cheeses didn't last that long but I wouldnt cook with cheese that small in all that packaging. It would seem a waste to me.
Q4 after breakfst, lunchbox and after school snack.
Q5 No. The convenience would encourage me more.
Q6 Tasty, nutritious, no hfs etc and convenient( but with less packaging).
Q7 Yes for convenience - but would need to know more re price

Q1 Too slow, and childish ( recipes ok)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now