This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you'd like test a product on Mumsnet please mail insight@mumsnet.com.

NOW CLOSED Method Laundry Liquid 25 Wash Pump - tester review thread

(1298 Posts)
TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 30-Nov-12 17:38:33

This thread is for the 1,000 MNers who have been trying out the Method Laundry Liquid 25 Pump.

If you're a tester, please add your feedback to this thread. Below are a few questions for you to answer but please feel free to add any other comments you may have. We'll also email you a link to a short survey that you'll need to complete (will send this next week). Everyone who adds their feedback to this thread and completes the survey will be entered into a prize draw where one winner will receive a £250 Love2Shop voucher.

Q1 What was your overall impression of the Methon Laundry Liquid 25 Wash Pump?
Q2 Is there anything you'd change about Method Laundry Liquid?
Q3 What did you think of the fragrance? And the cleaning power?
Q4 If it came up in conversation, do you think you would recommend Method Laundry Liquid to a friend/relative or not? If so, what would you say about it? If not, why not?

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw.
MNHQ

Thanks
Helen

JustCallMeBaldrick Tue 11-Dec-12 17:10:42

1. I love the dinky little bottle! It's been as effective as my usual powder is, and has coped with everything the kids have thrown at me washing-wise.

2. I'd like a larger bottle if possible, and maybe a hint more fragrance (lemon, lavender?)

3. The fragrance as such is very understated, nice, but barely there. I'd like something slightly stronger.

4. I would maybe recommend it, but with a caveat about the cost.

Elkieb Tue 11-Dec-12 17:15:56

Just got mine today, I blame the Christmas post! Will test later and report back smile

MsElleTow Tue 11-Dec-12 19:12:55

I liked the compact size of the pump.It is very easy to use. I have difficulty lifting heavy things and problems with my hands and wrists so this product got an extra thumbs up from me. It is effective and has removed stains that some other products haven't on first washes.
No.
The fragrance was fine. The cleaning power was excellent. It removed mud from PE kits and tomato sauce from the table cloth on the first wash with no pre treating or added stain removers.
Q4 If it came up in conversation, do you think you would recommend Method Laundry Liquid to a friend/relative or not? If so, what would you say about it? If not, why not?
Yes I would recommend it, especially to someone like my mother who has limited storage space.

Bedat10 Tue 11-Dec-12 19:14:38

Q1. Loved the bottle size (no space here!) and the smell. It seemed to do at least as good a job as the washing tabs I usually use.
Q2. Agree with pps that the price is a bit steep but not too much different to other branded products (I usually buy own brand). Also instructions in English would have been helpful!
Q3. I loved the understated fragrance - major selling point for me. Cleaning power seemed to be as good as any other products I use.
Q4. Yes would recommend and would buy myself if on offer. Would say it does a good job and is better for the environment.
Thanks for letting me try.

christmasmum Tue 11-Dec-12 19:16:40

My first impression was that there was no way this would do 25 washes! The first time I used it I thought I'd go for 6 pumps and was amazed at how clean the washing was. The next time I did the recommended 4 pumps and it was still lovely and clean, even the whites.
Nothing, it's really good.
The washing smelt like it had been out on the line, fresh and clean without being too perfumed.
Definitely, very compact size but good results.

Macdog Tue 11-Dec-12 19:19:39

Compact and well-designed
Seems to be quite expensive, and I cannot find any local stockist of it
Fragrance was subtle which I like. Cleaned well at a variety of temperatures and settings
I would recommend on everything except cost and availability

cartwrid Tue 11-Dec-12 19:35:37

I love the compact size but as I live in a hard water area I do need that extra squirt so I don't feel that it's the best value.

Is it non biological? My daughters eczema has really flared up but I'm not sure if this is a coincidence?

Overall the cleaning power seems fine but the price and the fact that it seems to irritate my daughters skin has put me off.

Climbingpenguin Tue 11-Dec-12 20:01:13

sorry, DH does the washing in this house, so here are some rather 'manly' short answers

1. I am unsure
2. Quite satisfied
3. It was about the same
4. Quite unlikely
5. I would probably not buy it

No discernible difference between that and our normal (Ecover) brand in terms of wash quality etc.

leo16 Tue 11-Dec-12 20:25:41

I quite like the idea of it and have been looking for a greener washing product that works. The bottle is great, takes up much less space and easier to use.

I'm not fully convinced it cleans as well as my usual products. There were a few things I washed where I wouldn't normally use stain remover, and the marks didn't come out in the wash as they usually would. Not a scientific test, but something I did notice.

I wouldn't recommend it to a friend yet, I would like to try it out a bit longer to check if it did clean as well as other products.

I didn't notice any smell with the product, which is quite nice, the clothes just smelt clean and neutral.

TeaJunky Tue 11-Dec-12 21:00:58

Overall impression was good - I liked the pump as it was so easy to use, packaging looked good.

I really like the smell BUT it didn't take the stains out of my 4 year olds school jumpers.

I probably wouldn't recommend this product to friends and family, purely because its nothing special apart from the pump idea which is good. The clothes came out nice and clean (apart from them stains), but they do so with other tablets too. I hardly ever have heavily soiled clothes to wash.

VirtuallyHere Tue 11-Dec-12 21:05:21

I liked the idea of being able to just get a small bit of laundry liquid to use for a few garments.

I'd hope it comes in larger sizes and refills are available (so you don't have to throw plastic containers all the time).

Fragrance was nice. Cleaning power was typical to most cleaning powders, i.e. it couldn't cope with difficult stains any better than most of the ones I use.

Yes as a handy dispenser to have so you can easily use different amounts of liquid.

I liked the "gadgety" element.

I was actually a bit disappointed by the pump - it was messy to use.

Fragrance was nice and subtle. Cleaning power similar to my usual non-bio.

Yes, worth a go if its on special offer.

Andrea75 Tue 11-Dec-12 21:30:24

Compact, easy to use and mess free (no drips or spills of powder like normal washing powder/liquid)

price

Lovely and fresh. Most things cleaned well, had to rewash a couple of items (we're potty training!!)

Yes, but the price puts me personally off a bit. Otherwise a great product.

tutu100 Tue 11-Dec-12 22:14:27

Q1 What was your overall impression of the Method Laundry Liquid 25 Wash Pump?
I really liked the compactness. It takes up a lot less room on my worktop than my normal box of powder. I also found the pump dispenser really easy to use and less messy than other laundry liquids/powders. I especially liked the fact that you only have to use a small amount of liquid.

Not yet!

I had the blue bottle and tbh couldn't really smell any fragrance. Cleaning wise it was fine. Didn't get the stains out of ds1's school shirts, but I haven't found a washing powder that can do that yet, so it was no worse than any of the others I've tried. Worked well on everything else.

Q4 If it came up in conversation, do you think you would recommend Method Laundry Liquid to a friend/relative or not? If so, what would you say about it? If not, why not? Yes I think I would reccomend Method to other friends especially those who I know like to use products that are more environmentally friendly.

NornIrishNut Tue 11-Dec-12 22:49:47

I very much liked the pump system - smaller, easier to use (no measuring cups), no mess. My only concern is that there doesn't seem to be a way to open the top to ensure you use all the liquid. It would be handy to design a bottle that can also be reused, allowing you to purchase refillable bags with laundry liquid (cuts down on plastic and helps the environment just that little bit more).

With regards to the liquid itself, nothing. See above point regarding the bottle.

Honestly, i didn't think there was that much of a fragrance - but that isn't a bad thing. With regards to the cleaning, it seemed similar to that of my other laundry liquid, but on the last white load i had to re-wash some items of my daughters clothes 3 times. However, i can't be sure that it was the laundry liquid at fault, as it seemed to remove quite a few other stains.

I think i would recommend that they look out for the new and easier to use bottle of liquid, but at the rrp of £6 per bottle i am not sure if i would recommend for the price. I buy most laundry liquids when on offer, as they are all at extorionate prices for what is a 'need to do' - but i guess methods price is relative.

RandallPinkFloyd Tue 11-Dec-12 23:44:36

Right, given it a good go now so here goes

Like it, easy to use, no mess, nice and small. No complaints all.

No, really like it, just would have liked the fragrance to be a little stronger.

Q3 What did you think of the fragrance? Nice enough but very faint, personally I would have liked a slightly stronger smell as I don't use a fabric softener. And the cleaning power? Very impressed, did just as well if not better than other non-bio's. Took care of 16 month old's bibs which is no mean feat as he eats an awful lot of very tomato-y pasta and likes to feed himself!

I would definitely recommend it, it cleans well and it's a lot more ethical than usual washing powder I also love how small it is as I have a tiny kithen. But to be totally honest the price, to me anyway, is completely prohibitive. However much I like it as a product I just couldn't justify spending that much.

Overall though, really impressed smile

pooter Wed 12-Dec-12 00:17:14

Q1. Like it. Love the pump, so clean, no gunk on my hands.
Q2. Bigger maybe? Change fragrance to lavender or grapefruit? Cost!
Q3. Fragrance, didn't really like it but it wasn't offensive. Cleaning power. Good, better than my homemade concoction and dealt with some pretty horrible pukey blankets.
Q4. Yes, but worry about the price. Will refills be available?

EmpressOfTheNorthPole Wed 12-Dec-12 00:52:54

Fillybuster, look for the pink dot on the bottom and line the pump up with it, it makes it flow better.
*Pooter, they do do refills, and they have useful spouts with screw caps that mean it's easy to pour.

LeonieDeSainteVire Wed 12-Dec-12 08:05:13

Just a thought but repeatedly on here testers have said price is prohibitive. Will Method take any notice of that? Seems to me there are plenty of people who would use it were it cheaper.

I really don't think it's that expensive but then I suppose it depends what you are comparing it to.

I usually buy Ecover or similar which costs around £3 for a 13 wash box. So £6 for a 25 wash bottle doesn't seem outrageous to me. Plus, I found that 3 pumps were enough even on our minging washing, which means that the bottle will actually do 33 of our washes. And the refill pouches are £14 for 85 washes - so even using the full 4 pumps per wash, that is about 17p a wash.

ShiftyFades Wed 12-Dec-12 08:50:44

Hi, I've tested this for a week now, here are my thoughts:
1) the bottle is lovely, fantastic that it's small and easily stored. Would like to see refill packs for it too.
2) I'd change the fragrance.
3) I'd change the fragrance because it is currently non descript, slightly chemically and not at all nice.
4) I'd recommend, I don't know the cost yet though.

Cleaning power: I was actually impressed. I had one one test for this (a pair of skiddie pants blush) and it got rid of the mark completely. Not sure my usual washing liquid would have coped so well. So, at the very least, it's as good as Ariel, possibly better.
I will be trying it out for longer and may swap permanently grin

hettie Wed 12-Dec-12 09:10:44

I like that it's small and doesn't get messy, seemed to wash clothes just fine.
mme yeah, the smell
Fragrance- not my thing really, i prefer clean/fresh smells for laundry (possibly conditioned by the traditional smell of ariel or persil!). Cleaning power was good
yeah I would.... everyones skin remained good in our house (eczema) and it cleaned well- I might mention the smell, but that's just personal preference

Pip224 Wed 12-Dec-12 10:34:44

I love the small compact design of the bottle. Its so easy to use and nothing is wasted. I liked the smell of the product-fresh but not to over powering.
I used this product on my sons clothes, he has ecezma, it clean far better than the product I normally used for him and he had no reaction to it.
It also manged to clean all the mud for my daughters clothes and shoes after she played in the muddy garden at nursery, it all came out in one 14 minute wash!
Although I think the product is a little expensive, it is cheaper than the sensitive product I was using for my sons clothes and worked better, so I will definately be buying this again.
Cant wait to try out some more of methods products.

coffeekeepsmegoing Wed 12-Dec-12 10:34:46

I liked the bottle, it looked modern and took up less space which is a plus for me as I am pushed for space.
I believe it is is quite expensive. I looked on amazon and it was about £12.00. This is more than I would like to pay for 25 washes.
I liked the smell and it cleaned white school shirts very well. I usually buy non-bio as both my husband and I tend to get rashes with biological powder but this seems to be gentle to skin as well as no reports of rashes.
Q4 If it came up in conversation, do you think you would recommend Method Laundry Liquid to a friend/relative or not? If so, what would you say about it? If not, why not? Yes, I would especially as there is less to carry and store. It cleans very well and smells good. Even the bottle looks good at window of utility room. The only down side is the price.

Pip224 Wed 12-Dec-12 10:36:03

Forgot to I add I will be recomending this product to others esspecially other parents of children with ecezma.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now