Please note: This topic is for your comments and feedback on Product Tests being run by Mumsnet. It is not the place to post (or ask for) comments on other products. If you do this, your comments may be deleted. If you'd like to run your own product test, please email insight@mumsnet.com. If you are an entrepreneur or start-up and would like to ask for some feedback, please visit our media requests topic.

NOW CLOSED Method Laundry Liquid 25 Wash Pump - tester review thread

(1298 Posts)
TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 30-Nov-12 17:38:33

This thread is for the 1,000 MNers who have been trying out the Method Laundry Liquid 25 Pump.

If you're a tester, please add your feedback to this thread. Below are a few questions for you to answer but please feel free to add any other comments you may have. We'll also email you a link to a short survey that you'll need to complete (will send this next week). Everyone who adds their feedback to this thread and completes the survey will be entered into a prize draw where one winner will receive a £250 Love2Shop voucher.

Q1 What was your overall impression of the Methon Laundry Liquid 25 Wash Pump?
Q2 Is there anything you'd change about Method Laundry Liquid?
Q3 What did you think of the fragrance? And the cleaning power?
Q4 If it came up in conversation, do you think you would recommend Method Laundry Liquid to a friend/relative or not? If so, what would you say about it? If not, why not?

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw.
MNHQ

Thanks
Helen

billybear Sun 09-Dec-12 13:54:26

loved the smell lingered when clothes drying on clothes dryer. great cleaning results had a good laugh about instructions in french mistake. very compact size great results

KiwiMumofTwo Sun 09-Dec-12 15:33:46

Good pump bottle. Seems to work as well as any non-bio liquid.
Make it a little stronger and fresher smelling.
Fragrance is very mild. Mixed experience of cleaning power - worked well on nappies but didn't get food off (separate loads).
Q4 If it came up in conversation, do you think you would recommend Method Laundry Liquid to a friend/relative or not? If so, what would you say about it? If not, why not?
Probably recommend it for the pump. It would depend upon the price locally.

sanchan Sun 09-Dec-12 15:56:33

Nice and compact. Easy to use and direct (unless you misjudge where the opening is and squirt it onto the floor!).

Would prefer a larger bottle, and also a cheaper price!

Liked the fragrance, not too overpowering, but fresh. Cleaned well, haven't tested directly on a stain yet, but handled the muddy football kit well.

Yes, I would definitely recommend it- on cleaning power and fragrance.

chocolatelime Sun 09-Dec-12 17:26:22

I liked the small size and the packaging, but I did wonder how long it would last. It was convenient to store by the washing machine. Initial impressions were very positive.

I think that I would prefer this to be in a larger bottle. I'm not sure that I would pay £6 for this product though. I am not very keen on the pump dispenser and managed to miss the dispenser drawer a couple of times (maybe that's just me being clumsy!)

I loved the fragrance and thought that this was the best part of the product. On lightly soiled items I found it cleaned very well, but it did not get all the stains out of the dirtier items.

I would recommend on the basis of the lovely fragrance, and it would be great for my Mum and the washing that she does. But for a young family with heavily stained items - food, grass etc I am not sure that it would do the job effectively enough.

Q1 The pump is great, it's really convenient and compact. The packaging style and colours look good too.
Q2 I'd probably make the fragrance a bit more flowery and reduce the price.
Q3 The fragrance isn't really that nice. I like quite strong smelling laundry as I dry inside and it's often lost once dry or tumbled. Cleaning power is great. We have a newborn and a toddler so lots of baby poo and food on their clothes. Other than that, we don't have especially dirty clothes.
Q4 I would recommend it. Especially if there is a refill available. It saves loads of precious space in my kitchen and would also make the heaving of shopping into the house that little bit easier.

Doobydoo Sun 09-Dec-12 17:42:59

1...Liked how small it is!

2...Price!

3...Really like the fragrance.Not over powering.White school shirts came out very well indeed.

4...I would re Eco credentials,smell,size,effectiveness etc .Would have to say that the price is steep.

imdreamingofaskyebluechristmas Sun 09-Dec-12 17:46:46

Very handy to use but didnt want to work if not totally upright? Fragrance not strong enough.

Make it a bit stronger.

It cleaned well but I don't think the fragrance was strong enough.

I would say try it as its easy to dispense

JimbosJetSet Sun 09-Dec-12 18:07:00

Q1: overall, very impressed. It got rid of poo and chocolate from clothes effectively! At full price it's too expensive but I will buy it if I see it on offer.
Q2: after using it a few times, it was difficult to pump out a 'full squirt' unless the bottle was completely upright, so it was difficult to squirt it directly into the drawer. So I would change the bottle so it dispensed the liquid more effectively.
Q3: impressed with the cleaning power. Scent very subtle, which I appreciated - I added fabric conditioner to the loads I wanted a stronger scent.
Q4: I would recommend it to someone looking for an effective but gentle liquid. But I would hesitate to recommend it over a regular non bio, for example, due to the cost. Wouldn't recommend it esp to someone looking for an environmentally friendly product as I don't see any benefits of it over a brand like Ecover.

tigger32 Sun 09-Dec-12 18:50:23

Q1 What was your overall impression of the Method Laundry Liquid 25 Wash Pump?
I love the fact that in comes in small container so is easy to store, and it seemed to do the job it needed to.

Slightly stronger smell and a better pump. I found it awkward to pump into the drawer and the pump kept sticking.

I love smell but wish it could be a little stronger and longer lasting. Cleaning power seemed good, I've not had to rewash anything from any of the loads i've done and i've not used any additional stain removers.

If it came up in conversation I may do, but as others have said the price lets it down.

alemci Sun 09-Dec-12 19:08:39

Very impressed. Nice appealing bottle and pump system. Easy to use. no messy powder spilling everywhere.

No

Pleasant fragrance and good cleaning performance

Yes I would. It was so easy to use and didn't take up much space and you didn't need to use much.

Neena28 Sun 09-Dec-12 19:17:33

Really, really like it. Love the fact its compact and the pump means my under sink cupboard hasn't got sticky. Hate pouring normal liquid into the cap. Ds is super impressed too and has put two loads on himself this week of his sports kits and bedding. He is capable of doing so but usually just fills the machine and leaves it, was good to have an incentive for him to start the wash himself, imagine it might work on dp's too but don't have one to try it on!

Maybe slightly bigger bottle so the refill pouch did say two refills cleanly.

Brilliant fragrance, smells wonderful on the heated airer as it dries. The clothes have a hint of a clean smell about them but nothing over powering which I hate. Have been very impressed with the cleaning power, better than I expected. Have used approx 2/3 of the bottle now so has had a good range of stains, lots of sicky bed linen and normal washing to do. Not had any staining on anything so far including white school shirts with the normal bean juice etc. Have also used it, without thinking, to do a wash of my 'posher' clothes that I normally use a delicate wash liquid for. They have also come out perfectly and I prefer the scent to the delicate liquid.

Yes definitely. I am very impressed and would tell them that for all the reasons above. Can't fault it for anything other than price!

LeonieDeSainteVire Sun 09-Dec-12 20:51:28

Liked the small size, liked the dispensing straight into the drawer with no measuring which made it very quick to use but I did find the pump didn't work well when tipped up to aim at the drawer. So I get three squirts then have to stop, shake and repump. Like the more environmental promise. I see refills are available but where? Not my sainsburys that's for sure.

Price, much too expensive, I wouldn't pay £6 for 25 washes, £4 absolute max.
And the pump needs to work at an angle.

Fragrance wasn't unpleasant but it wasn't nice either.
Cleaning power was good but not brilliant. I tried it on school shirts with no soaking or pre treating and it shifted the grime (eg on the collar) but not specific stains (something nameless on the sleeve). But it performed as well as my usual powder.

I would need to try it for longer before I can say I would recommend it or not. I've done 4-5 washes, after I've done 40 or so I would know how good or otherwise it really is.

Thanks for letting me try it though, I'll definitely look out for it if it's on offer ever.

niniane Sun 09-Dec-12 20:55:05

I liked it. I liked the idea of a the pump and size of the bottle was so much more compact than a box of powder. I found it cleaned well and removed stains, the only thing it didn't remove, which I had to use Biological Liquid for, was snot on fleece! I loved the smell, it was fresh without being artificial.
The only thing that would put me off is the price and availability. I only really have an Asda and Tesco near me and I don't think either stock it. Although even if they did I think it would have to be on offer for me to buy it.

Only the price!

I think I've answered these above. It's probably the best smelling laundry product I've used and the cleaning although maybe not the best out there is still better than many others.

Yes, but I'd also say I didn't really think it was worth paying the extra for if it was full price.

Lisa2912 Sun 09-Dec-12 21:07:06

I've been using it for just over a week now, and (as usual) seem to have done lots of loads of laundry, so here goes:
I like the pump (once I had overcome my initial klutziness and stopped covering my washing machine with it... I now direct it carefully), and I love the fact it's concentrated and doesn't take up much room. I also really like the ingredients and am very happy washing my clothes in that rather than biological powder. My son has very dry skin/mild eczema, and so far, this doesn't seem to irritate him. I also really like the fact you can buy refills for the pump rather than throwing it away.
Q2 Is there anything you'd change about Method Laundry Liquid? Would love slightly better cleaning power and would be prepared to pay more for it.
Q3 What did you think of the fragrance? And the cleaning power? Despite other comments I don't mind the fragrance - in fact, it's quite subtle which I like. Not sure about cleaning power - it's managed fine compared to Surcare which is what I normally use, better than Ecover (which I gave up on as clothes not clean enough) but not as well as Persil bio (which I only use on whites to get them properly clean). I had hoped it would do really well as it's priced as a premium product, but it comes out fine rather than amazing.
Q4 If it came up in conversation, do you think you would recommend Method Laundry Liquid to a friend/relative or not? If so, what would you say about it? If not, why not? yes, I think I would recommend that they try it if I feel that they are conscious about what they wash their clothes in, and if I think that they can cope with the price (some of my friends definitely look for value, so it wouldn't suit them).
Overall, I'm happy but not bowled over with it - I'm waiting to see what it's like when you get to the end of the pump (ie whether you end up wasting some) but so far, I'd say that I will continue to buy it in refill packs.

Housemum Sun 09-Dec-12 21:09:44

- Neat design, doesn't look bad if you are a lazy mare who leabes it on the worktop. Only concern will be does it work right to the last squirt (obv will be a few weeks before I know that, just thinking of hand creams where you can't get the last few uses out easily)
- cost!
- no heavy stains in the washing I've had, but general cleaning is as good as regular powder. Didn't notice a fragrance.
- Possibly, hard to recommend when it costs more and is not significantly better (OK, can't argue with the eco credentials but I'm ashamed to say at the moment physical cash cost is more of an issue to me and most of my friends). Would definitely recommend to take on camping hols as it can be used for hand or machine washing - I currently take a small tub of liquid capsules, this takes up less space and is more versatile as can use to hand wash (tablets designed as 1 per washing machine full)

madwomanacrosstheroad Sun 09-Dec-12 21:36:36

Q1: liked the compact packaging and the ease of dispensing.
Q2: would make it refillable, while packaging may be biodegradable, it still takes a lot of energy to produce the packaging and a refill solution might bring the price down.
Q3 I did not have anything ver heavily soiled in this wash. It seemed fine. Fragrance was fine, liked that it was not too strong.
Q4 I don't usually have conversations about washing powder, however if it came up I might mention that I had been happy with it.

HeathcliffeItsMe Sun 09-Dec-12 21:39:26

I like the bottle/pump design a lot. I liked that it was compact, also v easy to use.

No

I really liked the fragrance, found it cleaned well.

Yes, I really liked it, smelt nice, didn't aggravate my ds' excema and is more environmentally friendly than my usual products.

millie19 Sun 09-Dec-12 21:50:34

School & DHs shirts wash - report back! Collars all very clean, as were cuffs bar the pen stained I pre-treated. Although tbh I've tried 4 or 5 stain removers on that and nothing's shifted it! Method wash seems to fair better with white/light washing rather than my darker clothes which is a bit odd but to a bad thing! Still happy with it! smile

XBenedict Sun 09-Dec-12 21:54:44

Loved the size, so compact, takes up so much less space than my usual big box of powder. Pump dispenser really easy and clean, no mess.

Can't think of anything.

Fragrance was very pleasant, not too overpowering, washing smelt fresh and clean. Not too sure of the cleaning power as I'm yet to clean anything very dirty. So far every has come up clean.

Yes I probably would. Neat, no mess, nice fragrance, no nasty chemicals.

Axlemaimi Sun 09-Dec-12 22:01:20

Loved the bottle, great size and easy to use. Done 4 loads and washes well.

The price - bit more expensive than the brand I usually use.

Nice fragrance, not too overpowering. All loads washed up really well, though not tried on really tough stains.

Happily recommend it, easy to use, washes well, environmentally friendly. Thanks for letting me test it! Will buy again.

Procrastinating Sun 09-Dec-12 22:01:20

Liked the size. It doesn't look like laundry liquid somehow so I found that a bit confusing at first.
Cost.
The fragrance in the bottle was fine, but I didn't notice any fragrance on the clothes once washed. Seems to clean fairly well, as well as the waitrose stuff I usually use anyway.
I don't recall ever having a conversation about washing, but yes I would recommend it if I did.

It's nice looking, obviously compact, which thanks to all those Ariel adverts a few years ago, means that it's more environmentally friendly to transport. It's easy to administer one handed (which is how I do most of my chores!). All but the stinkyiest of DH's gym t shirts came out clean, which I pleasantly surprised me. I like the idea of the method products, if it were the only choice in the supermarket, I would be fine with it.
Compared to my usual brand, the finished washing didn't feel quite as crisp.
Fragrance was neutral. I have used the same washing power for years because it smells like my Mums house. I've even gone in search of the smell when I lived abroad! Other washing powders smell horrible so, and this would have been a deal breaker, but it didn't really smell strongly of anything. Just washing.
I am massively inadequate in the washing department. My white's aren't white and I am not the kind of mum that can get stains out of anything, so I feel a bit intimidated of people who speak with authority about washing! I am more likely to recommend it in a conversation about changing brands for your conscience and the ones, like method, that don't require compromises. It's not a household area that I think you can persuade people easily.

Annianni Sun 09-Dec-12 23:07:58

Q1. I liked the bottle, not impressed with the squirter bit, I've managed to get it down the front of my machine and on the floor several times, so there's been some wastage.

Q2. I'd change the style of the dispenser.

Q3. The fragrance was nice and it cleaned dh's filthy work clothes fine.

Q4. I would possibly recommend it, but ds2 seems to have had a reaction to it, his eczema has flared up all over. It could be a coincidence but I'm not risking it, by using it to wash his clothes again.

Jodunne Mon 10-Dec-12 08:44:29

Overall impression was 'how on earth will this clean my clothes'. I have never seen anything like it.

No I wouldn't change anything about the product having used it. Just proves you should not choose products just on how they look

The fragrance was lovely and it lasted on the clothes even after they were tumble dried, left for a few days and then ironed which was excellent.

LaVitaBellissima Mon 10-Dec-12 08:51:48

Q1) love the bottle and the easy to use dispenser, saves a lot of faff!
2) it was good but there were still some residual tomato stains on a white top, I had to rehash using some ace on the spot. So stronger stain power!
3) scent was lovely, I really noticed it when the clothes were drying. Could be better on the stains that you get with children, mud, chocolate, tomato. I needed to re treat these.
4) maybe, there was a lot I liked especially the dispenser and the scent, and if used in conjunction with a stain remover it's great. Interested to know the price...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now