This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you'd like test a product on Mumsnet please mail insight@mumsnet.com.

NOW CLOSED Method Laundry Liquid 25 Wash Pump - tester review thread

(1298 Posts)
TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 30-Nov-12 17:38:33

This thread is for the 1,000 MNers who have been trying out the Method Laundry Liquid 25 Pump.

If you're a tester, please add your feedback to this thread. Below are a few questions for you to answer but please feel free to add any other comments you may have. We'll also email you a link to a short survey that you'll need to complete (will send this next week). Everyone who adds their feedback to this thread and completes the survey will be entered into a prize draw where one winner will receive a £250 Love2Shop voucher.

Q1 What was your overall impression of the Methon Laundry Liquid 25 Wash Pump?
Q2 Is there anything you'd change about Method Laundry Liquid?
Q3 What did you think of the fragrance? And the cleaning power?
Q4 If it came up in conversation, do you think you would recommend Method Laundry Liquid to a friend/relative or not? If so, what would you say about it? If not, why not?

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw.
MNHQ

Thanks
Helen

CarpeJugulum Wed 05-Dec-12 09:28:01

Q1 What was your overall impression of the Method Laundry Liquid 25 Wash Pump?
Small, neat, compact delivery system, easy to use. I like the mess free delivery into the drawer (once I'd worked out the angle).

The price is the only reason I'd hesitate to buy it; a bigger "better value" bottle would also be good - 25 washes for a family doesn't go very far.

Smells really fresh and clean, and the fragrance seems to last. It has dealt with the majority of my laundry stains, but I haven't tested it against a really tough stain yet.

Q4 If it came up in conversation, do you think you would recommend Method Laundry Liquid to a friend/relative or not? If so, what would you say about it? If not, why not?
Yes, I'd recommend it. I like the fact that it's more environmentally friendly than most things; but I would mention the price differential to normal washing powders/liquids.

greenapples Wed 05-Dec-12 09:29:32

Q1 Easy to measure and use.
Q2 No.
Q3 Pleasant fragrance. It cleaned the clothes well.
Q4 Easy to use, no mess, no need to touch the liquid. Any recommendation would depend on the price as it would have to compete with what is on the market (and offers in the supermarket).

I really like the design, there's no other laundry detergent bottle like it, its very easy to use and compact.

Can only think of the price, other than that nothing.

The fragrance was ok but not overpowering, it would be nice to have some different fragrance options. The cleaning power came out on top, really good I found.

Yes, the pump action is really handy, can do it with one hand, dont have to pour it into a lid first. Don't need much for each wash so get a lot of cleaning power from one small bottle.

1. Overall impression

I like that its small and the pump works well.

2. What I would change

The Price

3. Fragrance and cleaning power

I didn't really notice a fragrance. It seemed to do the cleaning as well as any other.

4. Would I recommend to a friend

I would if they were well off and looking for something Eco friendly.

NiniLegsInTheAir Wed 05-Dec-12 10:15:24

Did my first wash with this last night so these thoughts are based on that. Havn't tested it with a particularly grubby wash though so intending to do that soon.

I really like the design and the pump. I have a very small kitchen and normally the box of washing powder has to sit in front of the washing machine as there's no space for it. The size of the bottle means I can tuck it onto a shelf which is brilliant!

It's too expensive, unfortunately. I wouldn't be able to buy it regularly unless there were offers on.

I like the 'clean' smell of the fragrance, it was light and not too strong. Different smells would be nice. It worked perfectly on the cleaning side (but I havn't tried a really grubby wash yet).

Yes I would, if they could afford it. I like that it is a pump action bottle, and small so saves space. The smell is nice and it does a good job, and that it is environmentally friendly compared to some other products.

WildRumpus Wed 05-Dec-12 10:36:52

The Method pump couldn't have arrived at a better time. We have had a whole range of laundry to rest it out on thanks to my lovely children.
My first impression was good. Neat packaging, robust pump, reasonable fragrance. I love how little you need to use! And how neat and easy it is to store the little bottle in my 'compact' home - much more space efficient than the Ecover powder I had been using. And much easier to get into the machine without spilling and wasting. I would actually be happy with a bottle twice the size if economies of scale made it a little cheaper (laundry products are a big expense in our house and it doesn't take all that long to do 50 washes).
In terms of effectiveness - first wash was my sofa cushion covers. These are pale blue and my baby projectiled all over them. They went in on a delicates cycle came out pretty spotless but when I ironed them there was still a v faint trace of sicky smell. All gone after a bit of airing. I doubt any other detergent would have performed better. Next up was a woollens cycle as the baby had also thrown up on my brand new jumper. This came out spotless, fluffy and with no sicky smell at all (I had added conditioner). V impressed and v relieved. Since then I have done several loads of general lights, coloured and darks. All have come up clean and believe me they went in dirty. My DCs were cycling around muddy fields and woods over the weekend. And on Monday alone the baby got through 4 changes of clothes after crazy nappy explosions. Nappies are going on next and I'm optimistic. The rest of the bottle will be saved as we're going on a self catering holiday over new year and this bottle is brilliantly compact to pack and far far better than tubes of travel wash I've used before.
For Eco as well as cost reasons I would like to see a refill pouch available, I also have been slightly underwhelmed by the fragrance. I'm a huge fan of the smell if method's daily shower spray and I guess I expected símilar. Probably better for sensitive skin to not be heavily fragrances though and I can add conditioner or ironing water to eg my own sheets and not the DCs'. All in all I would definitely recommend - the cleaning power seems as good as anything else I have used and the concentrated formula and compact packaging is brilliant.

umiaisha Wed 05-Dec-12 10:46:43

Great compact size and liked the mess-free pump.
Nothing, other than the weak fragrance.
Seemed to clean as well as my usual brand (Surf), would have liked a stronger fragrance though.
Probably, although the fragrance needs to be stronger

browny Wed 05-Dec-12 10:50:35

Thanks for allowing me to take part in this test smile.

I was very suprised at how small the bottle was when I first opened the huge box!

Loved the design and how compact the bottle was and loved the easy of use of the pump. I didn't lose any of the liquid when I first untwisted the pump. My 4 year old daughter did manage to waste some though (by pressing it when my back was turned for a moment), so a clip on cap would be an asset to preventing toddlers/children from accidental harm). The instructions were in French but I soon received a very helpful e-mail from Mumsnet giving me the English version smile. (Unfortuantely I did Spanish at school). Also I used a dosage of only four pumps instead of the 5 recommended for a very grubby (football kit) wash and was very impressed!

Yes, the price unfortunately. I would definately buy it again if I saw it on offer and would bulk buy! I usually use the capsule types of washing liquid as they are quite cheap, but hate it when one leaks and sticks all the others together which makes them very wasteful.

I always find I need to use fabric conditioner, but as I was testing this out, I didn't. The clothes came out of the washing machine smelling lovely and fresh and when they came out of the drier the scent was fresh and like line-dried. The clothes were also quite soft, towels especially were fantastic!

Yes, especially my elderly Dad who cannot carry heavy detergent bottles, my elderly Auntie would find it fantastic as she suffers with arthritis and numerous other ailments, so this light bottle does away with lifting with one hand and would prevent spillages.

I had never heard of Method products before and would definately like to try other products in their range.

sleepingbunny Wed 05-Dec-12 10:52:07

Really small - seemed sensible - little bit worried that my husband will merrily put too much in.
It is expensive, but I loved the fact it smelt nice, but not too overpowering - would be nice if it smelt 'cleaner; when wet, lovely when dry
Q3 What did you think of the fragrance? And the cleaning power?would be nice if it smelt 'cleaner; when wet, lovely when dry. Cleaned fine
Probably, though it is expensive. Not as wowed by it as other Method products

paneer Wed 05-Dec-12 11:04:05

I usually use Ecover non-bio powder. This is cheaper... tempted to swap. And love the packaging.

Ecover £12.99 for 40 (32p) washes or £8.49 for 25 (34p).

Method £6 for 25 (24p).

WinkyWinkola Wed 05-Dec-12 11:07:14

It's a tiny container which would make me baulk at shelling out £6 for it.

I do like its size though. It's very neat and takes up very little space in the laundry unlike big bulky boxes of powder.

The pump dispenser is very efficient - no wastage or mess and simple. Rather clever.

The price! I hope they'll do a cheap refill bag. And maybe combine it with a fabric conditioner?

I thought the fragrance was a clinically clean type. It's pleasant enough but there was no smell of it on my clothes. I'd like to see a variety of fragrances if that fits with the eco brand.

The cleaning power seems to be very good. It cleaned up baby poo stained baby grows and porridge covered muslins very nicely. I really think my whites are a bit whiter.

I have a couple of friends who love Method so I'd talk to them about it and recommend it but would mention the price! But unless anybody else commented on the smell of our clothes - it's happened before - then, no, I don't think I'd really feel able to bring it up in a natural conversation I tend to have with my friends. Perhaps I should actually.

small, p[leasing packaging. probably twice the price of other stuff because of that.

no

all fine.

i cant imagine having a conversation about laundry tbh

HazeltheMcWitch Wed 05-Dec-12 11:30:22

Whoo-hoo, mine has finally just arrived!
Now to the washing. Which wont get to hang out today as I have snow.

TeaTowelQueen Wed 05-Dec-12 11:47:10

Okay, used this a few time now so here is the feedback:

Q1 What was your overall impression of the Methon Laundry Liquid 25 Wash Pump? Neat packaging, would be good if refills were available like with the washing up liquid. Slightly awkward to use at first as it has to be kept upright.

Q2 Is there anything you'd change about Method Laundry Liquid? No, larger size would be useful
Q3 What did you think of the fragrance? I quite liked it - reminded me of using Omo and Sunshine And the cleaning power? Haven't been able to fault it yet - like that you vary the amount according to the wash, am experimenting with just how little you can get away with - amazing power for such a small amount of liquid
Q4 If it came up in conversation, do you think you would recommend Method Laundry Liquid to a friend/relative or not? If so, what would you say about it? If not, why not? I probably would, a lot would depend on pricing, I would be prepared to pay a bit more but not a huge amount hence would be careful when recommending it. I like the convenience (I use loose powder currently), the ethics and the smell!

Am quite impressed, might be a convert smile

VerityClinch Wed 05-Dec-12 12:19:00

Marking place, DD (3) has the vomiting bug so this liquid is really being put to the test. Especially since the last meal she ate before the puking started was spag Bol and profiteroles confused

Am on my eighth load of laundry since 11pm last night...

Will report back once we have both had a nap

Vomface ===> envy

helcrai Wed 05-Dec-12 12:20:05

I was impressed with the compact size of the bottle- something I look for with laundry products as I have a small kitchen & my cupboard space is limited. Nice clean lines to the product & bright colours will make it easy to spot on the supermarket shelf.

Probably not- perhaps the price is a little steep. I will probably end up using more than recommended because the detergent appears to be so runny although it is easy to dispense with the pump. Perhaps could be thicker and more concentrated?

Q3 What did you think of the fragrance?
I liked it- wasn't too overpowering when smelled in the bottle and seemed to blend in well with my fabric conditioner smell ( I use comfort and lenor) whereas other powders I have used seemed to leave an unpleasant smell. I tried it on its own when washing my towels and it was faint, but perceptible. I like that it isn't "floral".
And the cleaning power? Didn't notice any difference to my usual washing powders (biological too )- got spaghetti bolognese stains out of a white t-shirt of my daughter's.

Probably would recommend although the only conversation I have on these lines is with my Mum who usually tells me if there's an offer on with a certain brand in the supermarket. I would tell her to try it if it was on a cheap offer. Would be happy to confirm it is just as good as any other brand have used.

Pinkbatrobi Wed 05-Dec-12 12:36:23

Sorry I arrrive late but wanted to have a range of different washes to base my comments on before replying. I have now done stained tablecloths, towels, DC uniforms, DH shirts and a mixed darks (mainly socks and jumpers). I used it on 30C, 40C and quick programme and put it in the dispenser, not directly in the drum. I didn't use any other products with it. This is my first time and I was really excited at being chosen! So thank you Mumsnet and Method.

I was impressed at the space saving size and thought it looked sturdy, however it would be better if it had a cap, I think, or a system for closing the dispensing bit. I tried to twist it back into the original position and got another squirt..on me! DOH!! After that I tried to remember to twist on the last squirt into the washing machine but didn't always...a bit annoying. French wasn't a problem for me as that's what I studied at Uni, but I can see it could put people off... convex shape of bottle fits neatly in my cupboard next to concave other bottles.

I have compared price per wash with my usual powder and although the liquid is concentrated, per wash it's still more expensive than powder (which I only buy in bulk when it's on offer). Also, as a prewash stain remover, the pumping action covers a small area, you have to rub the fabric to spread around. My usual spot remover is a spray/foamy product which covers and much bigger area and doesn't need any further action. I tried it on my DD socks, which at the moment are being stained bright purple by the black leather innersoles of her new shoes, and it didn't really get that off. (my usual does)

I liked the smell when wet very much, but it seemed to completely disappear on the dried clothes, both air-dried and the ones I put in the drier. If anything I would make it a bit stronger, as I like my clothes to smell of "clean", but I have read comments of others who feel exactly the oppsite, so I guess you can't please everybody...On the Supermarket shelf I have noticed there is also another fragrance, so maybe the best option is to have several different scents to try and cover different tastes..?

I tried it as a prewash tratment on my DD socks, which at the moment are being stained bright purple by the black leather innersoles of her new shoes, and it didn't really get that off. (My usual prewash spot cleaner does).

I started off with 5 pumps, as that was a biggish load of tablecloths, teatowels etc and water around here is pretty hard, but noticed after the last rinse there was still foam in the drum, so for the next wash I reduced to 3 and it still seemed fine. The wash I did with white bath towels and bathrobes came out satisfyingly white. That said, I don't think it was any better than my usual, so not sure I could justify price difference.

Q4 If it came that there is a up in conversation, do you think you would recommend Method Laundry Liquid to a friend/relative or not? If so, what would you say about it? If not, why not?
Not sure it would come up in conversation, but if it did, I would mention that I tried a space-saving plant based alternative to the big packages of powder, and found it to be good, although it is a bit on the expensive side.

Adizzylass1980 Wed 05-Dec-12 12:59:54

Q1. My overall impression of the method laundry liquid was good, so much cleaner to use no messy caps or drips, the design is faultless.

Q2. I would either change the price or increase the size of the bottle, these days everyone is struggling and it's a high price to pay to be ECO friendly, sadly I wouldn't purchase it at the current price.

Q3. The fragrance was very pleasant and the everyday clothes cleaned up nicely, unfortunately my sons football socks did not, even after soaking them and spot treating them Method did not remove all the dirt

Q4. If It came into the conversation I don't think that I would reccomend Method, it cleans fine with clothes that are not overly dirty but no good for sports kits.
The price is also a negative for the size of the bottle, sorry to say I will not be switching to Method.
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to test it out though.

emanu Wed 05-Dec-12 13:47:26

A very nice bottle, ergonomic and easy to use (love the squirting thing). I've put two washing loads on now and I like how they came out. I don't use any fabric softener (generally find it too chemical and sort of useless) but the laundry still smelt nicely. However, I still haven't tested it on whites.
As said above, the price would probably put me off buying it regularly.
Fragrance is good, and cleaning seems good (still waiting for those whites... but I only have one load of pure whites a week, so I have to wait a bit).
I'd recommend to try it based on its eco credentials and that it actually works. I would mention the price too though.

SuiGeneris Wed 05-Dec-12 13:54:45

Wasn't there supposed to be a survey too? I cannot find the link....

girliechat2004 Wed 05-Dec-12 14:00:37

Q1:I loved the fact that the bottle was so small and compact, yet promised 25 washes. Using my current product, 25 washes would be a pretty big box!
Q2: If I could change something about the product I would like to be able to close the pump - I tried turning the pump the other way to the open side but couldn't close it. Don't know if you can therefore close pump or if I just couldn't work out how to do it!
Q3: I wasn't overly excited by the fragrance if I'm honest. I thought it smelt a bit like a hand soap and quite subtle. I prefer the fragrance to be almost too strong so that the smell lasts a long time. The clean was pretty similar to my normal wash. I didn't have any particularly soiled wash to do so can't comment on stain removal.
Q4: I'm not sure I would recommend this product to a friend especially. I might suggest it to someone who is looking for a product that is long lasting and doesn't take up much room in the cupboard. Also I might recommend for friends who are keen on saving the planet.

Mondaybaby Wed 05-Dec-12 14:06:12

I was dubious at first as the volume of liquid that was recommended for one was seemed very small, but I tried a wash and I was very impressed. The washing was clean and had a lovely feel. I have done loads of washes with it now and I admit I am very impressed. The pump itself is a very clean and efficient way of measuring the right amount of liquid.
No, I don't think so.
The fragrance is just right. I do not like overpowering smells for my clothes. I hate the smell of some softeners. So very happy with the smell of this product. And the cleaning power is amazing considering the tiny volume.
If it came up in conversation then I would definitely recommend this product. And I would comment on the small volume of product needed and the very good cleaning and feel of my clothes.

TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 05-Dec-12 14:26:26

SuiGeneris - there will be a survey - I haven't sent it out yet - will email you the link tomorrow!

ILikeToHoHoHo Wed 05-Dec-12 14:44:46

Loved the compact packaging and the idea of a pump rather than measuring it out.

A cheaper price.

Pleasant fragrance that wasn't too strong when the clothes were dry. I used the liquid on a 40 degree wash of used but not dirty clothes, 40 degree wash on clothes covered in brick dust, 60 degree wash on towels and bedding. all of the loads came out clean.

Yes I would recommend it for the cleaning ability, but would warn people about the price.

EricNorthmansFangBanger Wed 05-Dec-12 15:23:18

I was very impressed with the size of the bottle, it was nice and compact - perfect for our kitchen, which is quite small! Both my DH and I used the product. I found it fine to use, he noted that the pump didn't dispense a full squirt on one or two occasions, but we both really liked the design.

It is quite expensive for it to be a regular purchase, which is a shame because I really liked this product. If we had a higher income then it would be my choice of product. I'd also like to see a refill pouch too. I would definitely buy it if it was on offer, but for now would only be able to purchase it every now and again.

I thought it had a nice fragrance, not too overpowering and the clothes smelt just as nice when dry. We used this in one 90 degree wash, for some extremely dirty towels as we had a leak in the kitchen when work was being carried out. They came out lovely and clean. We also used it in a couple of 40 degree washes and a 30 degree wash. Everything came out great and I'd argue better than our normal detergent (Persil)

I would recommend this product if it came up, as I believe it has an excellent cleaning ability compared to our normal detergent at least. Also the design of the product makes it easy to use and store, which I know would be useful for some other family members of ours with smaller kitchens. I would mention the price, as I think it is slightly expensive, but would definitely recommend them at least giving it a try.

Thanks for letting me take part in this product test smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now