This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you'd like test a product on Mumsnet please mail insight@mumsnet.com.

PlayStation Wonderbook: Book of Spells event and game review thread

(166 Posts)
TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 10-Nov-12 15:15:22

This thread is for the Mumsnetters who attended the PlayStation Wonderbook: Book of Spells event and are trying out the game with their families at home.

You can see more about Wonderbook: Book of Spells by clicking here and shortly there will be footage of you all playing the game on some special pages on Mumsnet - watch this space!

Please answer the following questions. You're welcome to add any other comments you may have too.

Q1 Did you and your family enjoy the event? What was the best bit?

Q2 Thinking about the Wonderbook: Book of Spells game - what do you like most about it? What did your children like most about it?

Q3 Once you've had a chance to play the game as a family at home, please can you tell us how you found it - have you played together as a family much?

Q4 Do you think Book of Spells would make a good Christmas present for children? If so, what age group do you think it appeals to most?

Q5 Has playing Wonderbook: Book of Spells changed your perception of PlayStation 3 at all? If so, how?

Q6 What were your/your family's thoughts on Wonderbook: Book of Spells? Please say whether you strongly agree, agree, are undecided, disagree or strongly disagree:
a. The game was easy to pick up and play
b. The gameplay experience wasn't intimidating
c. My child was reading the words that lifted off the page
d. My child picked up what to do very quickly
e. My child really enjoyed the experience
f. My child was surprised by the game play experience

Thanks and enjoy!
MNHQ

ScorpionQueen Sun 11-Nov-12 21:11:54

Two out of three tasks uploaded. I'm warming to the App (as long as it works). Will someone confirm our videos and pictures have arrived at their virtual destination please?

TaperJeanGirl Sun 11-Nov-12 21:41:44

Am I the lone voice of dislike? I dont like the game and my kids are bored by it, I cant actually get the last videos filmed as they dont want to play it confused

jennywren123 Sun 11-Nov-12 21:43:10

I thought I'd finally done it (the filming and uploading), but then went and checked at the "events" which were "waiting for feedback" and they all have the same video clips in (the ones in the last event which I published). It seems to have overwritten the first two. confused

My verdict on the APP, I'm not 'APPY sad

Magna Sun 11-Nov-12 21:45:17

First of all thank you MN and Playstation for this opportunity thanks

Q1 Did you and your family enjoy the event? What was the best bit? - DS1 loved going to the hotel, he thought the venue was very relaxing (his words not mine). He loved the biscuits and I loved the coffee grin One of the best bits for me was seeing his face when he peeked in the room whilst the 1-2pm MNers were playing, it was though all his christmases had come at once.

Q2 Thinking about the Wonderbook: Book of Spells game - what do you like most about it? What did your children like most about it? - DS1 says that he loves all of it. I love the graphics and the wow factor, to be able to lift the book up and see all the way around it is just brilliant. DS2 loves the water spell and even though he can't play the game has enjoyed pretending to soak his brother and squirt us all.

Q3 Once you've had a chance to play the game as a family at home, please can you tell us how you found it - have you played together as a family much? - We have tried to play it as a family but we have found the best way and most enjoyable is one playing it and the others just watching and oohing and aahing at what happens on the screen or in my case wanting to take the controller when DH sturggles with a spell grin

Q4 Do you think Book of Spells would make a good Christmas present for children? If so, what age group do you think it appeals to most? - It would be a brilliant Christmas present I have never seen DS1 sit that still and engrossed for that long. 7-10 age group from what I have seen and then the older group of mums, dads and grandparents who love Harry Potter and all things magical

Q5 Has playing Wonderbook: Book of Spells changed your perception of PlayStation 3 at all? If so, how? - Before we had children DH and I used to play PS1 and PS2 so the boys have known the style of games that you could get. This game has blown us away with the graphics and interaction with the book and screen. The most used word in this house since we brought it home has been Wow smile

Q6 What were your/your family's thoughts on Wonderbook: Book of Spells? Please say whether you strongly agree, agree, are undecided, disagree or strongly disagree:
a. The game was easy to pick up and play - DS1 and I - Strongly agree, DH - Agree

b. The gameplay experience wasn't intimidating - Strongly agree

c. My child was reading the words that lifted off the page - Strongly Agree

d. My child picked up what to do very quickly - Strongly agree

e. My child really enjoyed the experience - Strongly agree

f. My child was surprised by the game play experience - Strongly agree

jennywren123 Sun 11-Nov-12 21:45:40

Taper Oh dear, what ages are they?

VivaLeBeaver Sun 11-Nov-12 21:48:15

Taper, the only thing I and dd haven't liked about it is the occasional crashing. The camera keeps tilting over, falling over and then the book isn't in view, but I think I've wedged it in place now.

There is a bit too much yakking, general spinning out between the games for me and possibly for dd. maybe younger kids wouldn't mind it so much.

Will have to have another play tomorrow to see if you can skip some bits and get more into the hands on. I think you can.

What do your kids not like? The whole thing? How old are they?

NotQuintAtAllOhNo Sun 11-Nov-12 21:58:16

OK.

The game play is over.

After we got it set up yesterday the boys spent a few hours playing, and they have played for one hour today. All levels have been completed. And that is it.

The technology and the graphics are amazing. But there are not that many spells to use, there does not seem to be much story line, and not that much actually happening.

I asked ds1 today if he liked the game. "Yes".
Would he want to play it again "Naah, not sure, whats the point"

It is a very short game, completed in very short time!

With Super Mario you can play and play and play and play! Buying the game is worth it! But buying a game that is completed in just a few hours, well, that is a waste of money.

Wonderful technology and great graphics wont keep the kids interested for long.

So in light of this, I wont to modify my answer:

"Q4 Do you think Book of Spells would make a good Christmas present for children? - NO, the game is too short to be worth spending money on"

TaperJeanGirl Sun 11-Nov-12 22:04:30

My girls are 7 and 5, they get bored at the in between bits, they like the water spell, and the pumpkin one, but thats about it, I tried to get some filming done earlier and dd2 started crying mid clip and said I dont want to play this anymore confused blush Think I will give it one last go in the morning before school, they might have just been tired...

VivaLeBeaver Sun 11-Nov-12 22:05:58

How many chapters are there Quint?

Dd has played for maybe 2 hours today and is on the 2nd chapter. Not sure if she's been going back and repeating spells, possibly.

ScorpionQueen Sun 11-Nov-12 22:06:04

Those who are less impressed, are your children not Harry potter mad? My two have completed the game and happily gone back and started again. They are 9 and 11 and very into HP.

NotQuintAtAllOhNo Sun 11-Nov-12 22:08:14

They like Harry Potter. Ds1 also likes The Hobbit, and magic stuff.

There are 6 chapters.

VivaLeBeaver Sun 11-Nov-12 22:09:20

Yes,my dd loves Harry potter which may help.

Thank you thank you mn and playstation for this opportunity grin
Have just spent pretty much the whole day playing this game, it's looking good so far smile
Will sit and write the answers out tomorrow after school that way I can copy/paste the questions properly instead of struggling on my iPad!!

Magna Sun 11-Nov-12 22:12:52

DS1 has finished it all as well he is 7.

He has enjoyed it and said he going to go back and get better house points.

For me personally I would love it if it was two player and you could duel each other. It would add that extra zing.

NotQuintAtAllOhNo Sun 11-Nov-12 23:01:11

I am also having some problems with fieldnotes in uploading todays footage.

jennywren123 Sun 11-Nov-12 23:18:20

Q1 Did you and your family enjoy the event? What was the best bit?

Thanks so much to PlayStation and Mumsnet for picking us for this event. We had a great time, the hotel was lovely and the representatives we met from PlayStation were very friendly and helpful. As others have said, the room was too small really and it was pretty tricky (if not impossible) to hear the game. DS said that getting the PlayStation and game at the end of the event was the best bit (surprise, surprise). He has been saving his pocket money with a view to adding any money he received for Christmas and his birthday to hopefully have enough to buy a PlayStation 3 so this was perfect for him.

Q2 Thinking about the Wonderbook: Book of Spells game - what do you like most about it? What did your children like most about it?

I really like that you can interact with the game without actually being the person playing the game. So the player can be using the wand whilst another family member or friend could be lifting the book and tilting it to see other things. I also like the way that the book acts as a barrier between the child and the TV screen. My son plays games on the Wii which we have and I am forever finding him standing about a foot away from the screen. With this game he didn’t move from behind the book (much!).

DS likes the tests at the end of each chapter, because you have to remember how to do the spells and sometimes you have to do them quickly or everything goes wrong!

Q3 Once you've had a chance to play the game as a family at home, please can you tell us how you found it - have you played together as a family much?

We haven’t really played it much as a family, but my niece (age 3) came for a visit and my DC helped her play the game. I suspect if it had a 2 player mode, then our DCs would be more likely to play it together.

Q4 Do you think Book of Spells would make a good Christmas present for children? If so, what age group do you think it appeals to most?

Book of Spells would make a fantastic Christmas present, especially for any Harry Potter/Pottermore fans. As a bundle it would make a fantastic large present, but it is really reasonably priced as a game if you already have a PlayStation 3. I think it will be really popular. As for age groups, it is certainly accessible to everyone, but I think the age group which it would appeal to most is probably 6-11. Any child who has seen the films or read the books will love it.

Q5 Has playing Wonderbook: Book of Spells changed your perception of PlayStation 3 at all? If so, how?

I had always thought that PlayStation 3 was more of a console for adults or teenage boys with more grown up games. I hadn’t really thought of it as a console for children/families. This game has shown me that PlayStation is also a console for younger children and families.

a. The game was easy to pick up and play agree (did struggle at first to get past the first half of chapter 1, but I think that’s the whole idea of the game grin). I also struggled with when to press the button at the back and when to press the move button, but I think that was more to do with my gaming capabilities, as my 9 year old son didn’t seem to have the same problem!
b. The gameplay experience wasn't intimidating strongly agree. This game is easy to use and you don’t need to follow any particular pattern. You can just pull up words and pictures from the pages to try things out.
c. My child was reading the words that lifted off the page disagree. I don’t think he was reading all of it, he was in too much of a hurry to see what was going to happen when he performed the spells! The reading of the words actually makes the game a bit too drawn out and long between the exciting bits.
d. My child picked up what to do very quickly agree. Yes, he struggled to get onto the second part of chapter one, but once he’d found the secret, he was fine.
e. My child really enjoyed the experience Strongly agree. He is still so excited!
My child was surprised by the game play experience* Agree. He was surprised to see the book in front of him come to live on the screen. I think he was expecting a normal console game.

Thanks again Mumsnet/PlayStation thanks

jennywren123 Mon 12-Nov-12 08:05:43

DS and I just had a look at the trailers for the other Wonderbook games which I think they said were coming out next year - Walking with Dinosaurs and Diggs Nightcrawler. DS particularly liked the latter.

I hope we get some feedback on whether the video has uploaded correctly - I'm working today and won't have wifi access again until I get home this evening, so won't be able to resend anything until then. I'm veering between thinking the app is just quirky when you publish and worrying it hasn't actually worked...

janx Mon 12-Nov-12 08:26:12

I am having problems publishing my footage... Keeps saying its failed due to connection. Not sure what to do as won't be back home til late

VivaLeBeaver Mon 12-Nov-12 08:27:35

Just seen a trailer for walking with dinosaurs game, that looks really good.

ScorpionQueen Mon 12-Nov-12 08:48:07

Last bit of filming before school. All published but how do I know it really worked?

Did anyone else put in photos too? Hope I've done it right.

NotQuintAtAllOhNo Mon 12-Nov-12 09:08:51

I sent all the footage off last night. Hope it is received ok.

hattifattner Mon 12-Nov-12 09:25:06

MN and Sony, can I just reiterate how totally fab this is...all three of my kids (including uber cool teenage girl) have loved this and hopefully you have received the footage of them shouting "Lumos! Lumos!" while playing together (while my son sat on his dads shoulders for some unknown reason.)

We've also had the neighbours kids in, and if I had allowed it, my teen and all her 6 mates would have invaded the lounge on Sat night to play. In a very cool way of course. hmm

So a huge thank you again from the fattner family, and a big vote of confidence for the product. Its Magic! grin

Magna Mon 12-Nov-12 09:42:38

All sent I hope.

Really struggled trying to get decent videos with the tv in view as well.

TaperJeanGirl Mon 12-Nov-12 09:54:03

Think I have everything uploaded, girls warmed to it a little more so did get some videos of them playing, managed to get the backs of them holding the wand, the book, and the front of the on the tv iykwim, also put in a few photos, hope I have done it all right, the app says my videos are awaiting feedbacksmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now